Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #76
Rae Ven Rae

*sigh* disagree all you want with an opinion, just don't tell someone how to feel about their passions or how to emote. If that is melodramatic, color me guilty--beside Delicti, I do have to say that this is the first time you've posted two words to me and it was negative--could give a gal a complex...

If you want to continue to misunderstand or belittle my intent that is fine...carry on...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #77
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Ven Rae
I have the right to feel stupidly passionate about anything I choose.
Of course you do. But you can't expect that no one will ever give you flak for it especially when you are adding the "stupid" qualifier in yourself.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #78
Tenrai Hogosha

Everybody tries to have their own niche. In that niche, those people close their minds to another's right to like or dislike things be it music, clothing, thought, etc. In the end, this only creates one group VS another. This is never productive.
If you dislike something, then state your dislikes and back up why "you" feel that way. Leave it at that. Don't impose or drop down to name calling.
I like HIM because HIM crosses over. GOTH, CORP, Young and OLD. HIM tries to have a message in the music. So, Name one BAND today that accomplishes that.
Tenrai Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #79
Rae Ven Rae

That's because I feel the right to be stupid as well as silly, stubborn, foolish and asinine as well as smart, fun sexy, open, tolerant, talented or other as I so choose...

But just cause I can say it is stupid don't mean you can...lol...

Lookit -- I am imperfect and perfect, loving and jaded, prone to irrational intense heated arguments like this one, but always able to concede that a person CAN have their own path despite my passions.... I am also sad yet joyful and all manner of amazing contradictions and I like that about me...

so all i am saying is, I felt offended that you said people who take a band seriously get on your nerves essentially when I feel people should be able to be as they like about anything they like--I don't have to agree--I just have to respect it...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #80
delicti

Quote:
beside Delicti, I do have to say that this is the first time you've posted two words to me and it was negative--could give a gal a complex...
I usually enjoy your posts, but this thread is going nowhere. HIM are fun to listen to, but they're off-topic and certainly not worth this much effort.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #81
Rae Ven Rae

Ack--you may be right at that...I just have certain triggers, and when I feel I am being told how to FEEL about something I get all bent out of shape (just ask my hubby...) LOL
Old 09-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #82
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrai Hogosha
I like HIM because HIM crosses over. GOTH, CORP, Young and OLD. HIM tries to have a message in the music. So, Name one BAND today that accomplishes that.
Frank The Baptist, Katzenjammer Kabaret, Veronica Lipgloss and the Evil Eyes, Jill Tracy, etc, etc. All of these are legitimate goth-friendly (most are outright goth) artists which blend styles like cabaret, jazz, rock, sea-shanty, and other content not usually seen within goth; they all have enjoyable and creative lyrics also.

HIM is pretty much 80's cheesy metal nostalgia - it's all love, all the time. They're pop, and good pop, but there's not much else to them.

We shouldn't start confusing "music we like" with "music that is good." It's fun to have both, but let's be honest about the distinction.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #83
Tenrai Hogosha

Just as I spoke of. Niches.
Have those band ever aired over the Radio?
Has there ever been one commercial for them?
Are those bands just seen in the Goth network?

The world is full of different and wonderful mindsets that bring color to this world. They should all be enjoyed equally.
Tenrai Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #84
Rae Ven Rae

well, I can agree that they are pop, and some of the stuff is cheese--but I think some of it has meaning, and there is a sincerity in it which is why I am drawn to it and think it has some merit and depth.

It's all good, and like Delecti said, it's kinda losing momentum and relevance, so lets call it a day, give my homies a hug and drop this hot potato before it burns hands...

By the bye, LOVE the name Deliciti--meant to tell yah that...lol...

latin for dead right?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #85
Rae Ven Rae

Hey--I love you guys--lets not fight anymore--lets sing cumbaya or something...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #86
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrai Hogosha
The world is full of different and wonderful mindsets that bring color to this world. They should all be enjoyed equally.
There are matters like distribution and oligopolies that make these things impossible. Jill Tracy is actually quite the star in Canada.

As far as enjoying things equally, well, you and I both know that is impossible. Not only is there considerably bad music that shouldn't be enjoyed, but there is also considerably good music that is made specifically to not be enjoyed, either.

But as for a matter of niches, this is gothic.net, after all.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #87
delicti

Quote:
Ack--you may be right at that...I just have certain triggers, and when I feel I am being told how to FEEL about something I get all bent out of shape (just ask my hubby...) LOL
Fair enough, but please remember it's just music. I love music as much as the rest of us but you feel like it's pushing one of your buttons, it's probably best to just take five and come back to it.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #88
Rae Ven Rae

True--I do have quite the temper--it is slow to burn but can be kick started by the right ( or wrong) thing...

working on it--working on it...lol...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #89
delicti

Quote:
It's all good, and like Delecti said, it's kinda losing momentum and relevance, so lets call it a day, give my homies a hug and drop this hot potato before it burns hands...

By the bye, LOVE the name Deliciti--meant to tell yah that...lol...

latin for dead right?
That's cool. I'll leave this thread be for now then, further discussion will probably prompt someone else to jump in anyways.

It's actually Latin for evidence, although it is usually paired with Corpus, for body of evidence, which literally could a corpse. ;-)
Old 09-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #90
LadyLucretia

Quote:
That's because I feel the right to be stupid

But just cause I can say it is stupid don't mean you can...lol...
You are confusing me now. I don't know if I understand your "rules." I am tired of wasting words on this topic too. I hope in the future your responses are a bit more tempered, but I'd rather not waste any more time discussing this.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #91
Rae Ven Rae

I do beileve this is the first time I got peeved on GNet in all my hundreds of posts--and in my opinion, with some cause, although I do believe I handled it badly--that said I do wish to drop it too. No harm, no foul.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #92
DementedRaven

I dont like them. I kinda like their cover of Wicked Game though...HIM are quite popular in greece, their fanclub is huuuuuge. So, we got many baby bats in our haunting places with tshirts of heartagrams claiming they only listen to HIM and that they are so goth. :P
DementedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #93
Rae Ven Rae

LOL...no one who listens to HIM solely can claim to be goth, even I wouldn't say that...how cute...

HIM is so pop it isn't funny...lol

Greece eh--always wanted to go to the Isle -- what is it like this time of year...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #94
DementedRaven

Its warm, sunny, with lots of people. Sucks.
DementedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #95
CountSixstring

Wow you guys are taking this shit waaay too seriously yet again. Damn people. HIM doesn't suck, but they definately aren't awesome. They're quite repetetive and they talk about the same shit. There's nothing wrong with liking any band. No one ever said they were goth and everyone needs to stop being so fucking Bauhaus/Cure/Neph/45 grave conscious (I love these bands btw) and trying too damn hard. You end up limiting yourselves by restricting yourselves to a certain genre just because it existed when goth first came out. HIM never called themselves goth. Screw the Spooky kid wannabes and the pretentious arrogant stuck up Peter Murphy cocksucking jackasses. Listen to music for music. Stop dissing people because they have a goth aesthetic but they don't cover "Lovesong" and "Dark Entries" all the fucking time. GOD.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #96
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSixstring
They're quite repetetive and they talk about the same shit. There's nothing wrong with liking any band. No one ever said they were goth and everyone needs to stop being so fucking Bauhaus/Cure/Neph/45 grave conscious (I love these bands btw) and trying too damn hard.

Listen to music for music. Stop dissing people because they have a goth aesthetic but they don't cover "Lovesong" and "Dark Entries" all the fucking time. GOD.
I think the thread probably would have gone differently if there wasn't so many threads like "In Flames," "Evanescence," and "Insane Clown Posse" lately.

I don't think anyone dissed them for not being goth, either.

What is it with everyone on this forum being so hypersensitive to people wanting to be on topic lately? I swear, I thought we were past the time when people would call goths pretentious assholes for wanting to talk about goth on goth sites.

I don't come to your house and shit on your couch; why should I be called an elitist when I don't want people do the online equivalent to me?

*sigh* I hope I'm just reading too much into this.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #97
CountSixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
I think the thread probably would have gone differently if there wasn't so many threads like "In Flames," "Evanescence," and "Insane Clown Posse" lately.

I don't think anyone dissed them for not being goth, either.

What is it with everyone on this forum being so hypersensitive to people wanting to be on topic lately? I swear, I thought we were past the time when people would call goths pretentious assholes for wanting to talk about goth on goth sites.

I don't come to your house and shit on your couch; why should I be called an elitist when I don't want people do the online equivalent to me?

*sigh* I hope I'm just reading too much into this.
I think you did, but oh well. I still like you. Anyways. Yeah. It's not goth that's a problem, it's arrogance. That shit is all over this board and I think people need to calm the fuck down. Goth is awesome. Assholes aren't.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #98
Mrs_Valo

I love HIM. I love going to their shows to look at Ville Valo.
Mrs_Valo is offline   Reply With Quote