Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
L'Oiseau Noir

We're not all like that, you know....

(Sigh).

Time for a whiny thread.

Well, here it goes. I'm starting to feel quite awkward on these forums, as a good majority of people seem to dislike Christians. I was browsing through some old threads, saw a lot of anti-christian stuff, and, well, here I am.

Not to say I'm here to preach to you and say, "Succumb to my religion, or you'll go to Hell," because I'm not. I just wanted to type down some thoughts, and as this is the whining thread, what better place? It just seems a lot of people have this crazy idea that every Christian is an extremist, bible-throat-shoving, condescending asshole with a bitter outlook on everyone and everything that's different. I, for one, am nothing like that; I have friends who are Wiccan, friends who are Buddhists, friends who are Jewish, Catholic, Atheist, and everything else you can imagine, yet I treat them as I'd want myself to be treated. They're good people; I have no quarrel with their beliefs. I just find it sad I somehow end up lumped together with the crazy extremists, when I'm probably one of the most open-minded people out there.

I'm not some bible-beating, footwashing Christian, though I do believe in a God, a Heaven, a Hell, and the whole shebang. I really just wanted to write this little whiny thread out to let those who think that all Christians are terrible people to know that we're not all like that. I love everyone, and I always give them a chance no matter what they're into, what religion they're a part of, what their sexual orientation is, and so on, so forth. Sure, I do get a tad hot-headed at times when an argument arises, but doesn't everyone?

I'm just a normal person like the rest of you.

I'm sorry if this all sounds terribly pathetic, but I was upset and needed some sort of an outlet, and the keyboard was the nearest thing. Spam if you'd like, flame, I don't mind... I just wanted to get this all off of my chest.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

You don't sound pathetic. I don't know really what to say except...yeah, I agree.

People who bash Christians as a whole don't usually know what they're talking about. In fact, people who generalize usually don't know what they're talking about.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Valrys

Its stupid to badmouth regular people who follow Christianity or any other religion, like you say, you're just like anyone else.

If you want, give the religion itself some flak, but I'm of the opinion you should treat people who follow it on a person by person basis, like anyone else you would (or should).
Sadly, the small minority of extremists cloud views on the subject sometimes.
If all Christians treaten others like you did, I'm sure there'd be a lot less hate for christians as a group. But oh well, such is life.

And hey, this is the whining forum.....its what its here for......this is certainly a more worthy thread than some that kick around in here.
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrys
Its stupid to badmouth regular people who follow Christianity or any other religion, like you say, you're just like anyone else.

If you want, give the religion itself some flak, but I'm of the opinion you should treat people who follow it on a person by person basis, like anyone else you would (or should).
Sadly, the small minority of extremists cloud views on the subject sometimes.
If all Christians treaten others like you did, I'm sure there'd be a lot less hate for christians as a group. But oh well, such is life.

And hey, this is the whining forum.....its what its here for......this is certainly a more worthy thread than some that kick around in here.

Haha, that makes me feel a bit better. Thanks Valyrs and Ophelia. n_n

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Valerius

Don't worry, not many people here hate Christians. I'm Catholic, and I haven't exactly been lynched for what I believe in.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

Haha, that makes me feel a bit better. Thanks Valyrs and Ophelia. n_n
Thats quite alright.

For the record, I'm an athiest, but I quite like it when people respect my views, so I like to try my best to respect theirs back, or argue fairly when I don't agree.
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrys
Thats quite alright.

For the record, I'm an athiest, but I quite like it when people respect my views, so I like to try my best to respect theirs back, or argue fairly when I don't agree.
Completely understandable! You have the right to debate whatever you want; hell, I debate stuff all the time when I intensely disagree with it. xD

I have all the respect in the world for people who stand up for their views.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I am Christian myself. I believe in God, the Devil, Heaven and Hell. So I know how you feel. It hurts that a lot of people think that Christians are all Jesus is everything Bible kissing bitches.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
KontanKarite

I don't hate you or Christians. I just regret the impact it has had with the world. Also, there's far too many stipulations in it for me to reconcile with traditional belief.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
Christina_Death1334

I, as an atheist, get alot of crap for my lack of religion. But nothing like the hate people dish out for Christianity. Personally, I respect everyone's religion. I know how you feel. I got insulted for my beliefs today (or lack of beliefs, rather). And it sucks.
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina_Death1334
I, as an atheist, get alot of crap for my lack of religion. But nothing like the hate people dish out for Christianity. Personally, I respect everyone's religion. I know how you feel. I got insulted for my beliefs today (or lack of beliefs, rather). And it sucks.

Whoever they were, they had absolutely no right to tell you what to believe or not to believe in. They can go fuck themselves. You just keep doing what you do, and ignore the jerks.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
maggot

You guys could at least try to suppress your more extremist sects. I mean, come, on.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I don't hate you or Christians. I just regret the impact it has had with the world. Also, there's far too many stipulations in it for me to reconcile with traditional belief.
I totally agree with you.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
HellforgedX

Yeah?!? Well, MY Heaven has a beer volcano! HA!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
Green.Lady

I know a lot of nice Christians... but some really take it too far... just like any religion...
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #16
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
You guys could at least try to suppress your more extremist sects. I mean, come, on.

Dude, I have no control over the extremists. They're churches, so Christians like myself can't exactly take them down. Plus, even if it is wrong and utterly stupid, like you, they're free to say and do what they want, and practice however they choose.

I'm not defending their actions or anything; I've been victimized by them too; but it's not a one-sided thing. They can practice however they please; we can't tell them they can't. Just like you can express yourself and practice your faith or non-faith however you please, and people have no right to tell you what to do or believe either.

Faith is really what you make of it. Some, like myself practice their faith on a much lesser scale, others on more extremes; and that's not just the Christians either, it's present in all religious or non-religious groups.

People make as much or as little as they want out of their faiths or non-faiths....

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on, everyone. I hope all that made sense; I'm tired.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #17
Bete Noire

I know a lot of christians who will barely talk to me because I'm an Atheist. Far more than I know who respect my beliefs.

Nobody on this board, however, seems to fit that category. And I think anyone who bashes a religion just because it's different to their own is inherently wrong. Especially when the arguments they use are based on such gross generalisations.

Personally I have no problem with other belief systems, I just dislike individuals who will not get over the fact that I don't agree with theirs.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #18
MollyMac

One- I SO want a beer volcano.

Two- Christianity suffers from the same bullshit that ALL groups do... the tendency to be defined by the extremists and not the general population who are Christian. 99% of Christians just live their lives, 1% are Pat Robertson. Just like 99.9999999% of Goths just do their thang while one in the histpry of the world blew up a school.

It;s hard to think of any faith or any (sub) culture without first thinking of what is most commonly associated to it- the fuck-ups. Goth School Shooters, pedophile priests, a Baptist woman with a casserole dish...
Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #19
Draconysius

Yes, generalization is a terrible thing. Though the only time I really get pissed at Christians is if they try to convert me, or go about proclaiming it to the world and come off like "I'm better than you because I'm Christian!". Little things like "christian dating site" piss me off because they come off either as "all other dating sites are the work of Satan" or they feel like a sales gimmick. Know what I mean? I can see why you believe what you do, so I'm not going to give you any lip for it.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
maggot

I feel stigmatized by the extremists.

Get it? It's a pun!

By the way, L'Oiseau, I'm not being serious. ><

Of course there are nice Christians and asshole Christians. Just like there are nice Atheists and asshole militant ones.