Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
DepthsofSpace

Shoes and other Newbie Questions

A few questions if I may...

I coming to a point where I'm about to be broke, due to school expenses. In preparation for this, I'm starting to cut back on spending, and my hopes for a uber-expensive Goth wardrobe for my new school is becoming limited. No fear though, cheaper options are out there, right? So, going around my closet, I was looking for this that might have use.

Okay, first question concerns a pair of shoes I currently own, and I'm wondering what I can do to them to make them more goff...

Here they are: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1457/dscf6140jc2.jpg

Story behind them: Good old work shoes for about a year, till I worn them out nearly. Still fit and the well worn leather took a bit of a shine with about forty minutes of work. Sort of more Victorian, with the pointed toes and all. Ideas from anyone for modifications? Or should I just get new laces and leave them as they are?

Next question, this one is on make-up. I've been wearing a very light layer of powder and loose foundation, just to cover-up minor acne, pale my skin (awful tan has I), etc. No one's noticed that I have make-up (everyone arund me would make it a point to say something if they did), except I was asked if I was well, as I 'looked pale' (from my boss), or remarks that my skin looked healthier (my mother). So, obviously, I'm doing something right, and not wearing it ridiculously. One issue though, I've noticed at times, my collar brushing against my neck has left a residue on it, which bugs me and makes me a bit self-conscious (I get fidgety and uptight when ever I have hair, dust or anything else showing on my dark clothing articles). Ways to combat my black shirts getting the foundation and powder on them? Do you advise liquid?

As well, I have tried combating this two ways already, but it seems at time my dried out skin and flakes on my face can get it an odd crusted look up-close, when the foundation goes on. Brushing my face (and with it, taking some of the powder off) with tissue, seems to cut down on the effect, but it's still there if you look close. Most of the time I don't have someone in my face, though if I did it would most likely be in an argument. I hate to be called-out on the fact I'm using make-up (as a guy, this is Tennessee) in a group environment, when I'm already the centre of attention with whatever sort of disagreement is going on. And in that wired case I meet a female, and we're actually physically close to each other, I would like my skin to look healthy.

I know this must sound incredibly vain, but thay are concerns of mine.

Thanks in advance for any help!
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
TopHaggardDoll

As for the shoes....I have no idea.

Foundation however! I can help you on.

Before you put it on, wash your face and moisturise a little bit, nothing too greasy and only a tiny bit as you said you have mild acne, it will even out your foundation for you.

Cleanse, tone and moisturise, my friend.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Delkaetre

Do try moisturiser, and if your acne ever gets bad you may wish to try your local GP- since bad acne can leave scars, it's possible to get prescription anti-acne lotions that'll clear up skin beautifully.
Make sure to remove all makeup at the end of the day, as leaving it on greasy, broken or spotty skin can make spots worse or cause irritation.
To stop the foundation brushing on your clothing, try liquid or mousse so you don't have issues with easily brushed powder. Another advantage to moisturising well is that it can act as a 'base' so that powder clings better. You may also wish to try blending from the jawline down so that there's little or no makeup on your skin when you reach the neckline of your clothing. The skin of the neck and torso is usually paler than the face by a few degrees, so it shouldn't be obvious that there's a change in colour- you seem to be pretty good at blending and wearing lighter touches, so you should get the hang of this pretty easily.
Your shoes seem fine as they are, you'll only need new laces if the old ones are worn out (can't see if they're frayed from the photo)
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
DepthsofSpace

I figured out the moisturizing trick, and it serves double as I use a high SPF sunscreen (I will have naturally pale skin someday! I can already see a difference over a month) that doubles as a skin lotion. I have used it and then applies foundation and powder and it works well...

My neck is fairly pale (though not as pale as my chest which hasn't seen sun in years xD), so blending is easy. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other tricks I was missing.

My acne is going away, and I spend about fifteen minutes a day cleaning my skin and use bi-weekly products to keep it under control. Always seems I have to have at least one area that springs up just as I eradicate another. -_-

The shoes were my work shoes and have been doused in JP-1 Turbine and 100 Low-Leaded Aviation fuel at least half a dozen times. The laces are okay, but they were leather and have become stiff (AvGas pulls all moisture out of anything, including your skin! O_o). Advice on new laces?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Delkaetre

Shoe-shops tend to have sensible laces in black, brown, etc. A round lace or a narrow 'ribbon' lace (the flat ones) would be best, as a wide lace would look a bit odd. That's just my personal aesthetic, though.
If you want to get laces in red, with skulls, in rainbow colours, with pentacles... check out your local alternative shop. Y'know, the place that sells bongs, t-shirts with marginally amusing slogans, band flags and posters. They normally have some unusual boot laces for people wanting to make their elderly Docs all pretty.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
Zenit

No,no,no, don't listen to her! Stay away from the rainbow-laces. They're evil!

I would suggest spats. They already have the Victorian feel to them, why not build on that? White spats, black non-baggy types of pants, a black shirt and perhaps a vest or waistcoat? (Are those the same thing?) Wee

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
Stormtrooper of Death

Well even though they are expensive as hell, I always go with Doc Martens. I can only look at them and go "wow if I had money, those would be mine."
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit
No,no,no, don't listen to her! Stay away from the rainbow-laces. They're evil!

I would suggest spats. They already have the Victorian feel to them, why not build on that? White spats, black non-baggy types of pants, a black shirt and perhaps a vest or waistcoat? (Are those the same thing?) Wee
Minus the spats, that sounds like my regular attire... I may go thrift store hunting...

Okay, another question. My mother, 'Ms. Milan', gave me a fashion critique the other day. Heh.

Her quote: "Black, is black, is black is not always black". As she explained it, blacks don't all match and unless they match, or are radically differant, should not be worn together or they look off.

Her point might be vaild from a traditional fashion point-of-view, but how does it relate to Goth dressing? To what degree should the shades of black be matched and worked together? Opinions on how to do this?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
GothicChristian

Get insoles for the shoes, I can tell you that. They'll blister your feet if they stay like that. I can't give you any other advise on them, I'll show my mom the picture and ask her when she gets home, she's an expert. I agree with everyone else on the makeup. Oh, also, if you're making your complexion lighter, make sure you do the same to all visible skin. (I used to do that too, but I'm actually okay with my tan now.)

I can tell you it's not incredibly vain. I'm what you would call incredibly vain, I freak out if I get a single pimple, my eyeliner gets even remotely smudged, I have a spazz attack, and if my clothes are even remotely wrinkled or stained, I refuse to wear them. (I press the wrinkled ones and if the stains won't come out I give the clothes to my sister.) You aren't vain in the least for wanting to know these things
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #10
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace

Her point might be vaild from a traditional fashion point-of-view, but how does it relate to Goth dressing? To what degree should the shades of black be matched and worked together? Opinions on how to do this?
Well, Goth fashion is still well put together, like any fashion.

When Blacks fade, they may go slightly green or blue, so it's advisable to redye your clothes once in awhile. I think clothes lose their edge when the black fades.
Plus, think about it, you wouldn't wear a PVC corset and New Rocks with a really elegant lace skirt and frilly top (If you can pull it off, I admire you). It would look all mismatched and strange.
You just have to think really, will this go with this!?

I'm terrible, i'll try on my outfits I plan on wearing a few days before I go out in them at the weekend, just to make sure it looks right and if it needs any details. It saves a last minute rush.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
Well, Goth fashion is still well put together, like any fashion.

When Blacks fade, they may go slightly green or blue, so it's advisable to redye your clothes once in awhile. I think clothes lose their edge when the black fades.
Plus, think about it, you wouldn't wear a PVC corset and New Rocks with a really elegant lace skirt and frilly top (If you can pull it off, I admire you). It would look all mismatched and strange.
You just have to think really, will this go with this!?

I'm terrible, i'll try on my outfits I plan on wearing a few days before I go out in them at the weekend, just to make sure it looks right and if it needs any details. It saves a last minute rush.
Point, and I figured that. Question is how do you decide what black goes with what black? If I have black pants and a black dress shirt, how differant do they need to be?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
kimaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
Well even though they are expensive as hell, I always go with Doc Martens. I can only look at them and go "wow if I had money, those would be mine."

I just got a pair of red fuzzy doc martens, they were only $40 because the store was getting a new shippment of them. I saved about $100 ;P
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Stormtrooper of Death

I'm jelous kimaru. I found a pair of Oxblood red 12 hole Doc Martens boots for 90 bucks on the internet. I'm debating on getting them.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
greencorrine

I concur about spats. They would look amazing and spruce those shoes up nicely. They are good shoes still.

I never thought about re-dying black clothing, that's actually a very smart idea. Mmmm, the things one learns.
greencorrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
d.Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace
Point, and I figured that. Question is how do you decide what black goes with what black? If I have black pants and a black dress shirt, how differant do they need to be?
Preferably, not different at all.

If your clothes are new, chances are the color isn't the issue so much as the texture. Some materials--usually synthetics--have a black with a bit of a sheen or gloss; to my eye, that looks really bad when paired with, say, black denim or something else with a matte finish (for lack of a better term).

If your clothes are older, look at them in bright light; if they were made with a cheap dye, they'll have a blue, green, or (very occasionally) red tint to them; if a better dye was used, they'll have faded to a dark grey. Avoid mixing, say, red- with green-tinted clothes; it'll bring out the differences in the fabrics. Any of them can be paired with true black, or slightly greyed fabrics, as long as the materials and styles go together.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote