Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
Blessings upon those who strive to keep the mindless flock on the straight path... Well, I've learned most of my English watching Cartoon Network, since English class was just so damn borring; for this reason, I find that a place where people take their grammar seriously is quite helpfull.
Anyway, there's on thing I always found a bit strange about English: why is "I" spelled with a capital "I", no matter where it may be in the phrase? It seems a little egocentrical
It's always capitalized because it's referring to a person. You wouldn't address me in writing as "sarah," would you?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #27
jestercel85

Just as a reply to the OP, I personally feel that a few mistakes is forgivable, however when an entire post consists of utter crap spat out by someone with absolutely no care in the world for grammar, punctuation, or spelling, then it deserves absolutely no respect whatsoever.

The only time there is an excuse is if English is not your first language. Otherwise learn to correctly write in the English language or expect people to take you a lot less seriously on an internet message board that consists entirely of the written word. Simple as that really.

My best friend and me get into this argument all the time, because he actually is dyslexic, but he is also a lazy person and ignorant about grammar and spelling. It is a chosen ignorance which pisses me off to no end but I love him like a brother so I try to overlook it. I see his writing and frankly shudder and have to bite my tongue, it looks like a three year old on crack wrote it and I have to keep remembering I am talking to an adult whom I have the utmost respect for.

The same thing happens when I read a post devoid of any of the basics of English grammar, I tend to think of the person as either an idiot or ignorant of the English language. Both of which constitute a problem on a message board.
jestercel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
clockworkcoffin

clearly i am outnumbered.
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
jestercel85

Nah you are good in my book, the only thing you lack is capitalization and you have explained that in some way, tis excused.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #30
clockworkcoffin

it is good to be good in a book. what a strange sentence.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #31
jestercel85

Yes it is a strange sentence isn't it? So much about our language is strange, and most of it can be quite disconcertingly illogical.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #32
clockworkcoffin

it is true that english is the hardest language to learn. and yet it is also the best language for poetry due to the sheer number of options you have with metaphor and whatnot.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #33
jestercel85

I have to agree about that, though Romanian is one of the most beautiful languages, at least to me. Anyway I think we have totally derailed this thread, perhaps we should return it to it's rightful place. Sorry guys.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #34
clockworkcoffin

yeah wow, we're way off base here.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #35
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkcoffin
it is true that english is the hardest language to learn. and yet it is also the best language for poetry due to the sheer number of options you have with metaphor and whatnot.
Eh...I think that would depend on the person.
And, I don't know if it's the best language for poetry, either. Both Japanese and French are GREAT for poetry.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #36
Godslayer Jillian

Language is an expression of the self. Words are inert; but the use of them to convey your mind isn't. The proper etiquette for English grammar cannot hold a candle to stream of consciousness and syntax errors when they are deliberate. Etiquette is nothing but a symbol of false superiority.
But yet grammar isn't all about etiquette. It's about a standard form of expression. If someone has something to say that can better be conveyed by breaking language rules, not only is he allowed, but I'm sure many people will enjoy the post. But what is the purpose behind writing such things as 'lol' or 'u' or 'rly'? That you fit in with the rest of mainstream culture? Not quite the thing to be bragging about.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #37
clockworkcoffin

i see nothing wrong with lol. lol is an established part of internet culture.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #38
Godslayer Jillian

What about when it's used in the following examples:
"That's gay lol"
"I have a test tomorrow lol"
"You suck lol"

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #39
clockworkcoffin

it isn't anywhere near respectable writing but comments like that usually shouldn't have to be.

is it any different than typing hahaha all the time?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #40
Cain

Location: In a little hollow doll, inside another hollow doll, inside another hollow doll, inside...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
It's always capitalized because it's referring to a person. You wouldn't address me in writing as "sarah," would you?
I certainly would not... But, please, show further indulgence for my lack of understanding; why then are "you", "he/ she", "we", "them" not also capitalized and only "I" is being held in such esteem?
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
I certainly would not... But, please, show further indulgence for my lack of understanding; why then are "you", "he/ she", "we", "them" not also capitalized and only "I" is being held in such esteem?
You're right. I totally forgot about those.

I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is. For now, you win!