Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
Post Modern Girl

Christmas (or rather the lack of)

Does nobody else feel very Christmassy?
I need a little festive cheering up but I've been working so much that I havnt got to curl up on the sofa with a tin of roses and watch little christmassy films
I havn't been in town to experience the Christmas rush
In fact, I havn't done anything Christmassy at all!
When we put up the tree etc, I did feel a little bit better, I started singing Christmas classics and danced about the house but after that nothing.
Lets cheer me up people!
Post Modern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Anguelon

I feel for you, it's probably all that stress that gets to our heads. Don't force it, it'll come around.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Post Modern Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguelon
I feel for you, it's probably all that stress that gets to our heads. Don't force it, it'll come around.
DONT FORCE IT?! I have under a week!!!! Eugh.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Noumi

Same here. Even though my family is allways celebrating something, including Christmass, I fel kind of gloomy and worried about the future. guess that's part of my nature...
*hugs*
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
fiends

I have a hard time getting in the spirit, because my sister starts in with it about two weeks before Thanksgiving and it just bugs me.

But, You could listen to Christmas tunes on the way to and from work, or get some decorations up on a day off to enjoy when you're at home. *nod*
fiends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Maybe this will help?
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/953367...hristmas_card/

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYXaYCExTzM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udemP_JnhI0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Yn-...eature=related

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 AM   #7
Post Modern Girl

I'll watch those vids when I get home! (God damn firewalls fuck me off!)
I just sort of want it to snow. It hasn't snowed here in about two years, just rain, rain and more rain! I need it to get really freezing and the snow to be pelting out of the sky and all the children go have snowball fights and make snowmen! I guess Im making it a little too Hollywood but you catch my drift!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
fiends

I've seen snow three times.
We got over a foot of it in North Carolina. @_@

Maybe take some time off and hit the mountains?
fiends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
AngelikDemonik

No. Retail and snow have pretty much taken away my will to enjoy anything Christmas related (other than my family).
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
MollyMac

The lights reflecting on the snow helped for a moment, but the snow is gone and this year feels empty. Maybe the joy is getting sucked out of the season because our traditions are dying from upright citizen asphyxiation. Smothered under the weight of political correctness-and nore once, Christians as well as non-Christian are feeling the squeeze to "have a bland observance of your chooisng (or not, your call) this December", as my horry-day cards will likely read this coming year...

The boughs and logs are taken from Yule, the Star of David from Chaunakuh, and Christ from Christmas. What can be offensive if it is meant in the best of spirits? A prayer is a blessing, is a warm thought, is meditation, is positive energy...

I would rather over-celebrate than under-celebrate any day of the year.

I am lessening the presents, I prefer to bicker with the family over politics and religion and Civil War history than spend 3 hours and 3 paychecks on gifts that are forgotten as soon as the rum cider moseys along....
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
Green.Lady

I honestly don't even care that it's Christmas. And I don't feel that it's very necessary for me to care, as I'm not religious at all.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:33 AM   #12
Post Modern Girl

See, in todays society, Christmas is no longer about religion. In fact, we arn't allowed to call it Christmas anymore (i think i may have already made this point, i cant remember ...)
I would love to hit the mountains cept I live in Ireland, I have no mountains to hit and I live right up north, it couldn't get colder in Ireland then here, but it still isn't even cold.
I work in a shop right in the center of town, so everyone else is busy being all Christmassy and in stuck listening to some shit 90's reject girl band singing "Away in a manger" in their sexiest voice possible.
I wish I was a child again, with Santa and excitement.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
I honestly don't even care that it's Christmas. And I don't feel that it's very necessary for me to care, as I'm not religious at all.
A kiss for you , sister ...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
badteccy

I hate Christmas.
Also, I've been so busy with work and finals that I forgot about it...then I heard the Christmas music at work and was all "aw fuck!".
I'm getting an ipod though.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
DepthsofSpace

I've noticed this Christmas two things,

1) People aren't quite in the crazed consumerist shopping spree. Guess the credit crunch is hitting home to everyone.

2) I'm not in the mood as I use to be, except with giving. I've gotten loos on my purse strings with the charities. I've got a decent collection of neo-folk and darkwave Christmas music I've been listening to, but haven't had the full spirit. My mind just feels like the whole world is falling apart (politically and socially), so I don't have much of the Christmas spirit.

It is a religious holiday for me, though I don't see much love in the season anymore.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
prophecyofdoom

To get you in the holiday spirit, it helps to have little holiday rituals that you repeat year after year, starting around the beginning of December... Decorating your space. Getting together with family/old friends you don't see much of during the year, going to certian places, Christmas shopping together, taking tours of all the lights & holiday displays, going to holiday themed parties, shows, events, ect. Listening to/singing Christmas carols. Picking out a tree, if you do that kind of thing. Ice skating. Sledding. Reliving old memories of years past. That really helps a lot. Giving always makes me feel Christmasy, especially giving myself & my time to people who appreciate it.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 AM   #17
bleedingheart344

Yeah, christmas has really gone unnoticed in my eyes this year. For me, it's just another time for me to splurge on myself and be happy for being charitable to everyone else. Can't beat that warm and fuzzy feeling you get at the sparkle in the eyes of a loved one upon discovering what they had asked for.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #18
Delkaetre

Very little of the Christmas thing affecting me. I don't go out during the daytime very often, so I've avoided the usual lights, music and crowds.
Now that I'm back with the family for Christmas, we're not making presents or carols or the tree the main focus of our holiday- we are having a Feast to end all Feasts (for a middle-class four person family on a reasonable budget, anyway). We've always been a family that has a proper family meal each day, so the Feast will be an extended version of that. Conversation, good food, a nice choice of wines and ciders.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
Crying_Crimson_Tears

JINGLE BELLS,
JINGLE BELLS,
JINGLE ALL THE WAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!
OH WHAT FUN,
IT IS TO RIDE,
IN A ONE HORSE OPEN SLEIGH....
HEY!!!!!!!!!

Did that help any???

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #20
Draconysius

I still managed to have a good time, still managed to get into the "spirit". I guess my family doesn't worry about these things.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #21
lostintranslation

Wasn't in the Christmas spirit. While the holiday is nice and all that, seeing as I'm atheist, I do not believe I should participate in the holiday because it just adds to all the consumerism, but since I live in a Catholic family, I'm forced to. Getting gifts is nice, I just don't feel like I belong.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
Delkaetre

lost- I'm an athiest as well.
You can participate because you know it makes your family feel happy, because you like having a winter celebration, because it's good to have some kind of togetherness with friends or family. It doesn't have to be a religious thing. My family's devoid of religion, and we celebrate all the same.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #23
Lapin

I don't know about Christmas, since I'm a horrid little heathen pagan, but I do love after-Christmas sales. And I love it when my friends break out the good wine in honor of the season. I've been pleasantly buzzy since Christmas Eve.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
lostintranslation

Delkaetre-I know I can participate, and I do to make my family happy, I just feel like a hypocrite. I really hate when you ask a child what Christmas is about and they say Santa, I truly hate the consumerism, and I feel like by participating in a holiday which I am not religiously affiliated with, I'm becoming a hypocrite.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #25
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Christmas has BECOME a cultural thing. For a lot of non-religious people, and even religious non-Christians, it's about family and friends and community (to some extent, at least). If you take out the Christianity, a lot of Christmas things were taken from other cultures like the Pagans. And peace, love and kindness are things that everyone can celebrate.

I've been having a hard time getting into Christmas spirit lately. I think I feel guilty about not being able to live up to the omnipresent expectations of happiness and joy. I also feel bad about not liking things like turkey and mashed potatoes and squash and a lot of other Christmas meal food. I'm fine with some desert foods, like shortbread and sugar cookies and oranges, but...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote