Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
Duane

That's true, Jillian. I should know what I'm talking about before posting in this thread. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #27
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Ophelia: There is a theory that males began to build a male-centered society out of jealousy because women are capable of procreating. They are in direct contact to life itself. Looking for equality on the rags that we can use to cover our bodies is at best a shallow excuse for gender equality.
There is a little tidbit about that in one of the books I adore..
It talks about how since women can bleed for days and not die, and grow new people in themselves, it scared early man because there was no explanation for it. Because the men would go out and hunt, the women stayed home and tended the sick, elderly, and young. They gained herbal knowledge as well.. the woman ruled over life and death.

I could go on and on.. male/female relationships and the development of society FASCINATES me..
Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #28
clockworkcoffin

i think people (men and women both) should dress modestly, but i also don't think there should be laws against public nudity. rather than having it be a law, i think it should simply be a social taboo in most situations.

obviously there are exceptions like the beach and whatnot.
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #29
korinna5555

I think it should be a personal decision, not a legal one. If a woman desires to go topless, fine. BUT if it is obviously being done just to be a whore, then NO. I am fine with open sexuality, but the majority of society isn't comfortable with that. There needs to be a middle ground, or nobody should be allowed to go topless in public.

Partial/total nudity is acceptable at many pagan festivals.. that is the only place I would even be comfortable going topless, unless I was breastfeeding.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #30
Underwater Ophelia

Another thing is that I think a lot of you are picturing women walking around everywhere without shirts.
Like I said, it would be the same places men are shirtless-Beaches, pools, and some parks.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #31
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
We are conditioned to wear or not wear clothes. There are primitive tribes in the Amazon that are perfectly comfortable with women walking around nude, as well as men. Ever see The Emerald Forest? Great movie. During one part of the movie, some of the tribe's women were kidnapped by the more "civilized" town folk who had guns and were forced into prostitution. Later the tribesmen made a daring rescue with only spears, and when the women were safely back in the forest, they stripped off the western style clothes in disgust, as if they had been forced to wear something sinful. To them it was as sinful as it is to us to be nude. It is all in how you are raised and conditioned.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #32
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
We are conditioned to wear or not wear clothes. There are primitive tribes in the Amazon that are perfectly comfortable with women walking around nude, as well as men. Ever see The Emerald Forest? Great movie. During one part of the movie, some of the tribe's women were kidnapped by the more "civilized" town folk who had guns and were forced into prostitution. Later the tribesmen made a daring rescue with only spears, and when the women were safely back in the forest, they stripped off the western style clothes in disgust, as if they had been forced to wear something sinful. To them it was as sinful as it is to us to be nude. It is all in how you are raised and conditioned.
I don't think so, not necessarily. I mean, obviously, I was raised in a Western culture, the US at that, and I think there's more wrong with wearing clothing than not wearing clothing. Unless weather necessitates it, obviously.
I'm not sure what makes us like or dislike clothing, but I'm disinclined to feel it's how we're raised.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #33
korinna5555

It is USUALLY how we were raised, but there are exceptions.
My parents are VERY Christian, mundane, mainstream, call it what you might. They are very conservative Republicans, very traditional, and they had ME.
The hippie goth pagan tomboy chick that loves to dance around bonfires and maypoles.. the liberal anarchist me.. the non-shaving, vegetarian me.
Did I mention that I am also bisexual?

Yeah............
Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #34
Stormtrooper of Death

I say hell yes to this issue. And korinna, what you just said, that was really hot.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #35
korinna5555

Why thank you!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #36
deafasadoornail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Another thing is that I think a lot of you are picturing women walking around everywhere without shirts.
Like I said, it would be the same places men are shirtless-Beaches, pools, and some parks.
I think this is a valid point, and I was going to post something in support of this idea, then I realized why it wouldn't work.

Water parks. People probably shouldn't be flapping around in those really fast slide tubes.

Honestly, I think more people should cover up, period. I can remember when a skimpy bikini at least covered the same areas as your underwear. People looked better in general because they weren't hanging out all over. And yes, this applies to stunningly beautiful people because I keep seeing all those gorgeous teenage girls in too-small clothing and it's hideous. So, boys, put your shirts on. Nobody wants to see u nekkid unless hanky panky is involved.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #37
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafasadoornail
I think this is a valid point, and I was going to post something in support of this idea, then I realized why it wouldn't work.

Water parks. People probably shouldn't be flapping around in those really fast slide tubes.

Honestly, I think more people should cover up, period. I can remember when a skimpy bikini at least covered the same areas as your underwear. People looked better in general because they weren't hanging out all over. And yes, this applies to stunningly beautiful people because I keep seeing all those gorgeous teenage girls in too-small clothing and it's hideous. So, boys, put your shirts on. Nobody wants to see u nekkid unless hanky panky is involved.
I think people confused nakedness with sexuality.
The human form can be appreciated with being sexualized. Or, it can just be. I mean, if I see a naked elderly woman, I'm not grossed out, it's just a naked body.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
fiends

Quote:
This is the idea that women should be allowed to be topfree in the same places men are, such as beaches, pools, and parks.

I'm all for it, what do you all think?

The problem is the immature dudes who can't keep their blood in their brains when they see a little skin.

I'd much rather see a topless woman than a topless man, anyway.
fiends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #39
KontanKarite

Make it legal. It can't matter until it doesn't matter officially.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #40
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiends
The problem is the immature dudes who can't keep their blood in their brains when they see a little skin.

I'd much rather see a topless woman than a topless man, anyway.
And the more you tell people they CAN'T, the more they'll want to.

It's the whole issue with making things forbidden. If they're not forbidden, they're not a big deal.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #41
ForgetThisLostLenore

If people didn't bring so much attention to it.... And I quite agree with the above comment. Look at how it's already viewed when men walk around topless. No one told them they can't, so no one really draws attention to it, so no one blinks an eye at it.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #42
Zerachiel

I dunno, I think women should be able to...But, without the top...Some's breasts might become pretty...Saggy.
Zerachiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #43
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerachiel
I dunno, I think women should be able to...But, without the top...Some's breasts might become pretty...Saggy.
Uh...so?

Am I the only one who really doesn't think this is a big deal?
Not the whole topfree thing...
The sagging thing. People keep saying they don't want to see it. Is it really a big deal if someone is naked and older, or fatter, or more discoloured?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #44
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Uh...so?

Am I the only one who really doesn't think this is a big deal?
Not the whole topfree thing...
The sagging thing. People keep saying they don't want to see it. Is it really a big deal if someone is naked and older, or fatter, or more discoloured?
Absolutely right.

A body is a body, boobs are boobs. It's not a big deal what someone elses looks like.

Unfortunately, you can't change the minds of a sexualised society. Even if I could, I doubt I would go topless. I wouldn't want to be judged or have people staring at my buns.

DON'T JUDGE MY BUNS! *shakes angry fist*
Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
Absolutely right.

A body is a body, boobs are boobs. It's not a big deal what someone elses looks like.

Unfortunately, you can't change the minds of a sexualised society. Even if I could, I doubt I would go topless. I wouldn't want to be judged or have people staring at my buns.

DON'T JUDGE MY BUNS! *shakes angry fist*
Plus, if we can't go topless because some people are saggy, shouldn't ugly people be confined to their homes because some people "don't want to look at that?"
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #46
Methadrine

*reads thread, and once again feels immensely satisfied in living in a country with sensible rules*

Yes, our girls are allowed topLESS on the beaches, in the pools, and in the parks.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #47
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I was just thiking of some possible reasons though some of them arn't exactly the greatest. First off getting hit in the breasts is like getting hit in the balls. Second is if we went around completely naked especialy in a large crowed contact with these sensitive areas will be rather high, which could be made worse if somone has alot of pent up sexual energy. I think it would be a bit embarassing nomatter what for a woman to have an orgasm in the middle of a New York crowd kind of like farting in a crowd. At least this way we can hide our bodily reactions a bit more.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #48
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
I was just thiking of some possible reasons though some of them arn't exactly the greatest. First off getting hit in the breasts is like getting hit in the balls. Second is if we went around completely naked especialy in a large crowed contact with these sensitive areas will be rather high, which could be made worse if somone has alot of pent up sexual energy. I think it would be a bit embarassing nomatter what for a woman to have an orgasm in the middle of a New York crowd kind of like farting in a crowd. At least this way we can hide our bodily reactions a bit more.
That was one of the stupidest fucking things I've ever heard.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #49
wonderland

Quite frankly, I wish men would keep their shirts on in public, as well.
wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #50
Xombie

I honestly wish we didn't have to wear clothing. We all know that we have these certain "parts," so why should we have to hide them? So what, they help us create new life. Anything else? Not really. It's just a body part with a special function, just like our fingers or our mouths.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote