Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: What goth style do YOU prefer
Dark and Seductive 9 18.37%
Bondage all the way ;D 0 0%
Death Rocker and badass 13 26.53%
Cyber 4 8.16%
Victorian 9 18.37%
Whatever im in the mood for 12 24.49%
Other 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Darklight689

What style do your prefer

Just in this figured i would make a pole onto what goth style everyone prefers i know i didnt get em all thats why there is the Other option so if you do choose other reply to say what you would describe it as,

Last edited by Darklight689; 01-09-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot to add this bit
Darklight689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Bete Noire

This isn't fair. I wanted to click Deathrocker AND Victorian AND Other. Also, there should be more options.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Delkaetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight689
Just in this figured i would make a pole onto what goth style everyone prefers i know i didnt get em all thats why there is the Other option so if you do choose other reply to say what you would describe it as,
I just thought I'd make a poll to find out what goth clothing style everyone prefers. I know I did not get them all, but that's why there is the "Other" option. If you choose "other", please reply to say what that is and how you would describe it.

Sorry, that was snarky. But I am bored and the poor writing skills displayed here offend me.
I wear a mixture of things. Sometimes Victoriana, sometimes that deathrocky punk look (but without the big hair), sometimes things in silver, sometimes my beloved fetish wear.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Darklight689

lol should i just set it to click more then 1 option?
i think it will let me do that
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Jackula

I prefer the Victorian, Romantigoth thing.

Sometimes I do my own Gothy bum thing when I'm lazy.
But that's not there.
Jackula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
ApothoKeri

I put dark and seductive but more be default. Really, I wear a lot of lace and velvet and like to always be very feminine but I am not anywhere near as, flowery, as Victorian. Dramatic probably but not as 'pretty.'

Sometimes I feel I am top goth and on bottom 1940's classic dame. I go around in stuff like black pencil skirts with seamed back black stockings on bottom then shirts like this

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...=0&Ntk=alltext

in black on top with a big garnet cross. (yes I really do shop there, a LOT, you can find a ton if you dig around)

I have a really big shiny black peep-toe shoe fetish too. I must have 30 pairs of slight variations.

Then I cross a very classic hairstyle (actually done the war era way with real pincurls and fingerwaves) with a dark purple smoky eye.

Dunno what 'style' that makes me, Rita Hayworth breeds with Dracula perhaps.

As far as other people go, really whatever matches them the best I suppose. I have seen all that you mention above on various people come of great on some and terrible on others. I think style really comes down to how it fits the individual more than anything else.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothoKeri
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/pro...=0&Ntk=alltext
(yes I really do shop there, a LOT, you can find a ton if you dig around)
How is there response time? I only ask because I have had some bad experiences when dealing with online clothing purchases where it took a long time for orders to be processed just to find out that what I wanted was out of stock
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Dark Clarissa

Ooh it totally depends on what mood I'm in, I have all kinds of things in my wardrobe, from full-on bondage gear (not all for general consumption ;-) ) to complete Victoriana...but I'm generally a confused soul anyway lol :-D
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
ApothoKeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
How is there response time? I only ask because I have had some bad experiences when dealing with online clothing purchases where it took a long time for orders to be processed just to find out that what I wanted was out of stock

Well, they are not bad by any means. I order most of my clothing online, as I live very far out in the desert. They are about average for online stores, it takes about 1 week for my clothes to arrive on average, it may be slightly faster if you are near a large city. It will tell you at your shopping cart if an item is out-of-stock. If it is you can delete it then before checkout or order anyway and as soon as it comes in they will ship it out. I would say that at least for me (living over 3 hours each way drive from the nearest small mall, nevermind other stores) it is one of my top two stores that order online from. I also really like Victorias Secret, again a good store if you dig around you can find some great stuff. Like this is one of my favorite shirts and skirts from there...

in black (though I actually button mine properly)

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ZZZ&rfnbr=3948

and this skirt below, it's hard to see that until you push the 'larger view' popup but it's black on black stripe and it has those pleat/button slits in the front too.

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...ZZZ&rfnbr=2201

VS of course has great plain black satin PJ's and ballet length satin slips to sleep in too if you dress for bed too, like I do. But they do take slightly longer to arrive, not ages or anything but maybe more like 9-10 days as opposed to a week with Newport News.

But yea give them a try, they have some really nice lace, satin and velvet stuff and some cute shoes and coats too and adorable black velvet bags and such on occasion. If you don't like the service or clothing, you can just stick the return sticker they give you on it, check why it is being returned and drop it in a UPS box.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Delkaetre

Ooh, that is a beautiful skirt! Nice almost-vintage feel to it with the exaggerated pleating.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
ApothoKeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Ooh, that is a beautiful skirt! Nice almost-vintage feel to it with the exaggerated pleating.
They have one in a black and white tweed with that same cut that is even more vintage looking due to the fabric.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Delkaetre

I'm afraid that I never got the hang of tweed... it's just not Del friendly.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
magickaykay

Cyber all the way! I need to get some goggles and boots ^_^.
magickaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

Baddass of course. Either I look baddass, or I look cute tryin to look baddass; it's a win/win situation.
Plus Victorian and Cyber annoy me.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
ApothoKeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I'm afraid that I never got the hang of tweed... it's just not Del friendly.
Yea it can be tricky, not to mention itchy. Definitely not one of my favorite fabrics.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
Breathless Horror

I definitely go with the badass approach, occasionally with touches of deathrock and bondage. Being badass takes less time than brushing a velvet jacket free of lint, and buttoning up a poet shirt, and I'm lazy.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
Signe

My style: Very intense, extreme, eccentric, gothic. I like lacquer a lot and lots of jewellry.

Well, maybe you will get a picture of my everyday clothing from this:
Right now I am wearing
Black top, black skirt
Red bindi(spot on forehead), big Indian earrings, Brazilian necklace, big necklace that looks very royal and African, bracelet that looks Indian
Put on makeup a few hours ago, so some of it is gone: Pale powder, black slightly sparkly eyeshadow, deep pink lipstick

That should describe my taste in clothes pretty much. So, I am not "typically" goth, but I am very gothic. Really, I guess I prefer a black PVC skirt with a little black top and an underbust buckle corset or something. I do not really know what adjectives to use to describe what kind of gothic style I have, I prefer not to label it way too much, but I guess you could say an eccentric intense kind of gothic style. For me it is also a lot about jewellry, I might not always wear that typically gothic jewellry, though, I love classical Indian jewellry.
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #18
Miss Cogs

OOOO. I couldn't decide. I guess I should have choosen whatever I'm in the mood for. Lately, I've been feeling bery cybergothy. I'm buying some new clothes today. A lovely cybergoth outfit....for 141.98. T_T I have a Steampunk mood coming on though. =0
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #19
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe
My style: Very intense, extreme, eccentric, gothic. I like lacquer a lot and lots of jewellry.

Well, maybe you will get a picture of my everyday clothing from this:
Right now I am wearing
Black top, black skirt
Red bindi(spot on forehead), big Indian earrings, Brazilian necklace, big necklace that looks very royal and African, bracelet that looks Indian
Put on makeup a few hours ago, so some of it is gone: Pale powder, black slightly sparkly eyeshadow, deep pink lipstick

That should describe my taste in clothes pretty much. So, I am not "typically" goth, but I am very gothic. Really, I guess I prefer a black PVC skirt with a little black top and an underbust buckle corset or something. I do not really know what adjectives to use to describe what kind of gothic style I have, I prefer not to label it way too much, but I guess you could say an eccentric intense kind of gothic style. For me it is also a lot about jewellry, I might not always wear that typically gothic jewellry, though, I love classical Indian jewellry.
Got pictures of it?

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
honeythorn

I've been taking a rather tradgoth-ish route lately. I think?

I don't know exactly what you mean by dark and seductive, so I can't answer to that really.

I keep any victorian styling to smallish details, as things like bustles are a major no no for me, and I can't get corsets. Frilly things around the neck make my chins show up so..no. I just don't suit the look as an entirety.

I hate cyber.

Bondage suits very few people ,and even less can pull it off attractively. I am not one of these people, and I have little interest or knowledge of bondage anyway, so no.

I like the deathrock look, but I don't think the whole thing would suit me as I am now.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Lolly PopMuzik

With me, I lean towards tradgoth (Yeah, I don't care too much for Victorian myself), vintage closet ('20s-'50s JD chick/drapette) and deathrock. I'm also becoming more and more tempted to get into traditional garb such as kente cloth and ao dais.

Don't really like cybergoth because for something that's supposed to be sleek and forward, it usually ends looking like a walking trash heap and is so ridiculously materialistic that it hurts my wallet thinking about it.

Victorian, albeit quite pretty, is a badly beaten and well tenderized dead carriage horse. And if you change some words around, it can describe fetish as well.

Overall, I like to keep it fresh and fascinating. Right now I'm diggin' on the vintage route because even torn fishnets need a break sometimes.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
Darklight689

Yeah i did forget to put romantic i guess that would pretty much be the first one i think
Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #23
Haunted House

I didn't know that "badass" was a style of goth. And that it was tied to deathrock. Haha.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Darklight689

lol i meant them to be the same thing just sounded spiffy to add that in. Since its a bit more rough around the edges. Death rocking badass maybe? *sigh* i need to work on the way i word things too bad i cant edit after i post a poll. so would be stuff like leather jacket with spikes and things like that. Speaking of styles i have been debating recently if i should add a pair of tight fit pants to my collection still not sure if i can pull it off though.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #25
Signe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Got pictures of it?
http://my-static.opera.com/album/Nat.../novlsigne.jpg
There is one
And I am aware some people think I am trying to shock or look sexy, but really, it is nothing like that, those are the clothes I am comfortable with.
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote