Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #19426
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Walmart is an evil corporate empire that has cost quite a few small businesses in this town their shops. Even the little bit larger businesses. There are no grocery stores in town anymore, just Walmart and Albertsons. Sad, sad stuff.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #19427
raggedyanne

And don't get me started on Starbucks. They knocked my favorite little independant coffee shop right out.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #19428
Johnny Gnar Gnar

We had a Starf.cks in town for all of, one winter. They are no more, and thankfully, the Beta, and Rawhide Coffeehouses are still in business. The Beta is my place of residence, but Rawhide isn't too bad. Beta is just a bunch of climbers, vagabonds, musicians, and general deviants of society. It is a grand place.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #19429
raggedyanne

That sounds awesome! I live in Yuppy-land, so there are Starshmucks everywhere! Luckily the local Peet's still has that coffee-house feel.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #19430
emeraldlonewoulf

My little town just got a Wal-mart, and a Starbucks, within two months of each other. We've gotten an Anytime Express Gym, a Movie Gallery, Taco Bell, Burger King, and they are currently building a KFC. We just got Auto Zone, too. All this has been in the last six months.

Kinda scary really. What is funny, is that while all these new businesses are coming into town,the brand new strip mall attached to the one local grocery store has stayed empty, for the last year and a half. There is another new strip mall that was built a year ago on the other side of town, good looking building, the kind that would house decent restaurants and maybe a couple boutique shops, but it has stayed empty, too.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #19431
Stormtrooper of Death

It is. We've had a Wal-Mart for 6-7 years and the local business sector has suffered really bad. I support my local businesses by buying from them.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #19432
emeraldlonewoulf

We just got a Lowes, too about three months before the Wal-Mart opened up. I hate to see what is going to happen to the local lumberyard and hardware store.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #19433
Stormtrooper of Death

Yeah, I know, same thing happened here. Globalization sucks.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #19434
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
And don't get me started on Starbucks. They knocked my favorite little independant coffee shop right out.
*mouthes silently and flaps arm* They did that to my town too! Two coffee shops have closed down cuz Starfucks opened right across the street from them. I don't drink coffee, but I've heard from trusted sources (aka, ones that don't care about looking cool by carrying a Starbucks coffee cup around) that their coffee sucks. And their food sucks too. Their brownies are dry and weak and taste like powder.
Gah!
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #19435
Stormtrooper of Death

Yup. Local things are better. I've learned that the hard way. Support your local businesses!!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #19436
Johnny Gnar Gnar

People buy Starf,ucks because of the name. Their stuff really does suck, I would rather be drinking ammonia and battery acid. It would be less painful.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #19437
LaBelleDameSansMerci

That kind of thing pisses me off. Why follow someone who has no taste in coffee?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #19438
GothicChristian

The only independently owned coffee shop I know of is owned by my 7th grade Language Arts teacher, in Tarpon. It's called Lighthouse Coffee, she brought my class some blended ice coffee drink one day, because we had the highest test average that grading period. (Thanks to this kid Mike and myself)
It was yummy!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #19439
LaBelleDameSansMerci

In Canada there are the standard Tim Hortonses, and then there's Yuppie Starbucks, and then there's Second Cup, which is apparently better than Starbucks, but isn't as popular cuz it doesn't have that damn logo...

Hmmm... I've lost my grapes.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #19440
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
*mouthes silently and flaps arm* They did that to my town too! Two coffee shops have closed down cuz Starfucks opened right across the street from them. I don't drink coffee, but I've heard from trusted sources (aka, ones that don't care about looking cool by carrying a Starbucks coffee cup around) that their coffee sucks. And their food sucks too. Their brownies are dry and weak and taste like powder.
Gah!
Truth be told, though, their caramel, vanilla, and mocha frapacuinos are really good, if not slightly addictive. I'd have no idea about their hot coffees or food personally.

My dad says that their hot coffees suck, and he's a hot coffee expert.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #19441
Underwater Ophelia

I love Starbucks. Who cares if it's a big company, the coffee is great.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #19442
Duane

Yeah, big companies rock*opens up a big mac container, and finds that they didn't add tomatoes*..........Maybe not...... GOTHRA*Gothra appears before Duane, he jumps into her bra, and they head toward McDonalds* FIRE DA GOTH BEAM!!!!*Gothra destroyed the McDonalds with a beam of light, and they flew off*
Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #19443
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
In Canada there are the standard Tim Hortonses, and then there's Yuppie Starbucks, and then there's Second Cup, which is apparently better than Starbucks, but isn't as popular cuz it doesn't have that damn logo...

Hmmm... I've lost my grapes.
One of the few independant coffee shops around that's managed to hang on is Doctor Insomniac's. Pretty good coffee and awesome brownies. And I sometimes settle for Starbucks if I'm out with friends or in an airport, but their coffee isn't that great.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #19444
Mir

What the fuck is with you and these weird descriptive posts?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #19445
raggedyanne

? Looks around. Ducks. Barely misses airborne pie attack.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #19446
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
What the fuck is with you and these weird descriptive posts?
Who, me???????
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #19447
raggedyanne

It seems our egos lead us to think that. I bet Mir is laughing at our confusion while drinking his frappucino.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #19448
Duane

*Turns to his ego, and punches it* This is all your fault*The ego punches back, and a huge fight stars*
Old 03-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #19449
raggedyanne

Ooh! Ego:3 Duane:-1
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #19450
Duane

*Duane throws the ego into a blender, and presses purree* Mess with the best, die like the rest!
Closed Thread