Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
tickingstitch

I am not sure where to put this thread...But embrace

Alright so its about that time. I have not gotten a new computer in two years and I am looking. I have been using Apple for the last four years and have but I might switch back. I have not had any real serious problem, except for running different music shops, at once that were not compatable at the time… which pissed me off because Garage is not that great of a program by any means.

I am not sure if anyone has gotten the new iMac (or relatively new) but it has the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard which actually splits the hard drive, which enables the program to run windows as well. This is choice one.

My next choice would be the Gateway FX540 with a few additions…

Alright, has anyone got a new computer lately? What do you have and what do you use it for? Whats your taste or preference… This might not be a good thread but I am genuinely interested. Cool Cool.

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
bleedingheart344

Going to custom build a computer once I get enough cash for parts. Should be pretty sweet, the video card is amazing. I use my current pc for gaming mainly, I love windows and can tolerate linux at times. Though, I really hate macs.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
tickingstitch

Why do you hate Macs?
What are you going to build?
Im into music and photo and have a pretty big library, I don't game to much but I probabaly will be sometimes.

Quote:
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Dyce

there is nothing wrong with macs I love using macs for music editing and video editing, but that is all I see them used for. I do prefer a custom built computer or a very nice custome one from a company as in HP or Gateway. The Gateway FX is actually the series I just bought in the laptop. Its a great gaming computer and very nice for work as well. It all depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you want to do more with media I say a mac is the way to go but just for normal things and I know that you just picked up WoW go with the Gateway. The laptop type I bought has the 1.6 intel core 2 duo with GeForce 8800M GTS which is just sweet may I add. I do sugest the series of FX by Gateway.
Dyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Methadrine

If you don't game that much, and aren't into the whole "expansion race" then get a mac. You save yourself from a lot of unnecessary hassle. I don't say this as a "mac fanboy" but as someone who have used almost every operating system through and through.

Personally, I use my iMac for everything, and only switch over to Windows to play the occasional "Windows only" game. Everything else I do in OS X. There's great applications for all the things you do, photos, music etc, but since you use a mac you probably already knew that.

Feel free to ask any questions.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
tickingstitch

I think I am actually going towards the FX540 because of the speed, and over all performance. It seems like apple is a bit more focused for the crafty type, which I am, but maybe I just want something new too.

Methadrine, what games do you play on your iMac?
What do you like best about the iMac?
Do you record music on it? Anything custom built?

I have the G4 series I book and I will probably still use that for photo shop and small projects, but as far as music goes, my ex boyfriend built this communal Dell for recording in our Garage (studio) and it blows away anything I have been able to create on a mac. Maybe I am just not as good or knowledgeable but I would like to re create that on my next desk top, a home studio and I want to play games. Do you have any advice for recording music with an iMac?

Dyce, How is WoW on your laptop?

Quote:
Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Dyce

Well pretty easy to play on the laptop just buy a mouse to go with it and your all good.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
tickingstitch

:-) I should probably get a mouse today

Quote:
Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Dyce

ya i spent 40 dollars on this one i have. its a gaming mouse from the company razor and it glows green ^_^.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickingstitch
Methadrine, what games do you play on your iMac?
Under OS X I play WoW, WC3 and Diablo II. All Blizzard games, go figure.. I've tried a few others like Hitman, C&C3 etc and they all run fine. Since they released bootcamp I've also enjoyed all my games I bought over Steam when I gamed more, like all Id-software's games etc. Works great, if one doesn't get bothered by having to dualboot.

Quote:
What do you like best about the iMac?
Regarding the hardware: All in one box. Takes no space. It's dead silent (this is actually the best part), and got a great screen. While it's not the fastest fox in the woods it's fast enough, considering it got a Core 2 Duo at 2.16 (I got the iMac that was released before the new aluminium ones, so they're selling faster ones now) so most things you throw at it works speedy enough. Only bad thing is the graphicscard which isn't exactly the best for gaming.. It won't run things like Bioshock or World in Conflict at full speed, but that's pretty understandable.

On the softwareside I couldn't complain. If it doesn't exist under OS X, or on Linux (since you can run Linux software under OS X) I just reboot to windows and run what I want there.

Quote:
Do you record music on it? Anything custom built?
Yep. Using Reason 3 and Garageband at the moment but will probably throw in Cubase too. And how... I answer under the next section.

Quote:
I have the G4 series I book and I will probably still use that for photo shop and small projects, but as far as music goes, my ex boyfriend built this communal Dell for recording in our Garage (studio) and it blows away anything I have been able to create on a mac. Maybe I am just not as good or knowledgeable but I would like to re create that on my next desk top, a home studio and I want to play games. Do you have any advice for recording music with an iMac?
I used to have a G4 iBook before I bought this one and whoa.. lightyears apart of what I can do with this one. Got a midi-interface hooked up to it where I can plug in a guitar, a drummachine, synthesizers etc if I wanted to, and then either run the digital instruments from the mac through midi, or record it into Garageband and then import it as samples in Reason. I'd recommend that to anyone. It's dead easy, pretty cheap and I don't get the grounding-interference noise I used to get with my noname-x86 computer.

So, since I don't game that much this computer will last me for years when it comes to music production. Oh, and even if you don't get a mac, check out Reason.. it runs on Windows too and is a complete studio more or less.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Dyce

blah alienwares are just way to expensive for what you get. Your paying for the name and the SLI cards.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
dark_dragon_of_ice

Alienwares are way too expensive but if I was a millionaire I would buy one in a instant.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
Dyce

Agree with dark.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
dark_dragon_of_ice

Its like Aston martins of laptop gaming .
Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
BlkGothGrl

Quote:

I am not sure if anyone has gotten the new iMac (or relatively new) but it has the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard which actually splits the hard drive, which enables the program to run windows as well. This is choice one.
You can dual boot with Mac OS Tiger also (version before Leopard). Personally if I were lucky and wealthy enough to get an iMac, I'd look high and low for a good used one with Tiger. Leopard is Mac's answer to Vista; both are memory hogs (as it were), the security, etc., is a PITA and they are not too backwards compatible (accepting of software in lower versions)....
BlkGothGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Dyce

ya well we all know what happen with windows and backwards compatible *cough cough* windows me.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Tam Li Hua

Get the Mac, if for no other reason than so I can live vicariously through you.

And Windows ME is of the devil; I used it for lack of options for about a year and a half.

F*cking hated it. >_<
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #18
dark_dragon_of_ice

In the end just pic the one you like to use the most really. Unless you want to play the most pc intensive games a mac will be fine.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
tickingstitch

Thanks guys

Quote:
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
Dyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Get the Mac, if for no other reason than so I can live vicariously through you.

And Windows ME is of the devil; I used it for lack of options for about a year and a half.

F*cking hated it. >_<
I'm shocked you dealt with it for that long lol. I wasn't really into computers when ME was around I think I was little young but when I was able to get ahold of a computer with ME I thought I would go on a killing spree after using it.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
tickingstitch

Hey I think I am going to go with this... but it is not in stores yet. Should I wait or order it online...

http://www.gateway.com/programs/fx54...page=techspecs

Anything is possible with this beauty

If I hate it I can always go back to Mac in a year or two but I highly doubt I will do anything but love it

Quote:
Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
tickingstitch

That looks awesome. I wish I was confident enough to build my own computer...

Quote:
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
dark_dragon_of_ice

Its actually not to hard..Just don't try to build your own laptop.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
tickingstitch

I double post alot... Sorry... How much is it going to run you to build that?

Quote: