Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Black Gestalt

Visual Kei

Since these bands are pretty much my favorites, I'll put them up. The asian music scene is very good.

Visual kei is a music scene mostly in japan that combines great music with visual performances and looks. It varies in sound alot, and is sometimes lighter, sometimes very very heavy, and everything in between. Visual kei refers to more of a look that the actual style of music. Almost all visual kei is indie, and most of them arn't too well known with the excpetion of Dir en grey.

D'espairs Ray: Japanese goth/industrial. Everything about them is great.

Dir en Grey: Japanese metal. Maybe the most famous visual kei band. Their last two albums are pure genius.

Silver Ash: Chinese goth metal. Great, the guys got an amazing voice. Plus I know chinese, so that just makes them closer to me.

And many many more. These are my favorite three.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Black Gestalt

Whether anyone cares or not, the new Dir en Grey single is out, and it's FUCKING INSANE! Oh god damn it's amazing.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Sarkphagos

Well, I do happen to like Visual Kei. I am suprised you didn't mention Mana (Malice Mizer or Moi dix Mois) along the lines of well known. I was introduced to it through the Gothic L***** Bibles. Hmm, other bands I listen to: Dir en Grey, Gackt, Glay, L'Arc en Ciel, Pierrot, XJapan. They all have what I call a French sound, if that makes since.
Of course, my heart will always be sold first to North Europe's epic metal. <3
From what I've heard tho, a lot of people don't consider any Visual Kei to be considered 'gothic'. Can't see why, how do they define gothic.

okay, that was a little ramble-ly....
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkphagos
Well, I do happen to like Visual Kei. I am suprised you didn't mention Mana (Malice Mizer or Moi dix Mois) along the lines of well known. I was introduced to it through the Gothic L***** Bibles. Hmm, other bands I listen to: Dir en Grey, Gackt, Glay, L'Arc en Ciel, Pierrot, XJapan. They all have what I call a French sound, if that makes since.
Of course, my heart will always be sold first to North Europe's epic metal. <3
From what I've heard tho, a lot of people don't consider any Visual Kei to be considered 'gothic'. Can't see why, how do they define gothic.

Most of it isn't, but I deffinatly would call some of D'espairs Ray's songs, and maybe Silver Ash goth in their sound.

Those are my favorites, but, in addition to the ones you mentioned, Alice Nine, Gazette, Deathgaze, Death Pool, Madeth Gray'll, Blam Honey, it goes on and on.

I'm not a huge fan or L'arc or Gackt though. X is up there with my favorites, and I've gotten into Glay a bit since I got one of their CD's.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
Demonista_Ravenesque

Visual Kei is absolutly amazing....

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Black Gestalt

Bring on the little love thats here.

I just got the video for cleaver sleazoid now. Can we say cockroaches on rocking horses, mindless hordes of goat headed people, and seizure inducing red flashing. It's all good.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Demonista_Ravenesque

Hey BG, if Marilyn Manson's music was Japanese, do you think he'd be counted as Visual Kei? *I don't actually like his music but I'm curious...*

Old 09-28-2005, 01:48 AM   #8
Sarkphagos

Not that you asked me, but I would say no. This maybe becuase I dislike Marilyn Manson and _like_ visual kei, but the reason I would argue with is that: At least the visual kei music I've heard, it all has a paticular sound/feel that Marilyn Manson doesn't have anything near to. Of course, this is only in sound, which is what matters most to me. (Looks are nice, but if their music sucks then I'd rather they just design clothes or something)
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #9
Defy

I Love them

Cool
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
Demonista_Ravenesque

Sarkophagos...You are entitled to your own opinion. And I tahnk you dearly for your input on my question.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #11
Demonista_Ravenesque

^^^^Damn....Terrible spelling mistake and it's too late to edit it

Old 10-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #12
Shemjazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkphagos
Of course, my heart will always be sold first to North Europe's epic metal.
heheheh, Hell Yeah!! \m/ Rhapsody \m/ (if they are northern european... sudden mental blank..
I am Defenitly going to have to look into this 'Visual Kei'.... it sounds most interesting.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
Akuma2636

Well, I love Visual Kei. Okay, I'm going to describe my favourite Visual Kei Bands, and at the end of that I'll recommend some _must_ listen to songs.

btw, Get ready for a huge post -_-'

D'espairs Ray, excellent band. I've only seen one PV ((Garnet)) it was awesome, I love their music, quite dark, and excellent... Most of D'espairs Ray's music is pretty dark, which makes them the band that they are.I recommend Garnet, Carnival, Gemini, Genchou, and Valentine 0214 ((Wow, they have so many good songs... It was hard to pick so little...)), yes well that would probably give you a taste of what their music is like.

Has anyone heard the band 12012? Oh, I love them, they have a very distinct sound about them, The guitar at the beginning of the song Shudder is awesome, I have great love for it. 12012 loves their electric guitars, most, if not all, of their songs have guitar solos, which I must say, I absolutly adore. Shudder, Days, High Style Paradox ((Although odd, very good)), and Mippei Sareta Hi.

Dir en Grey, also an awesome band. Their latest stuff, like Saku, Machiavellism, and Clever Sleazoid are really screaming songs. I love them. Although I still love their older stuff, like Cage, and Akuro no Oka. Okay, this recommendations list will be pretty long -_-', I love Diru. So, I recommend Saku, Cage, Zan, Filth, Ain't Afraid to Die, Myaku, Embryo (Single Version), Raison D'etre, Gyakujou Tannou Keloid Milk (Plucking Mr. Newsman) -New Jap Mix- ((The best re-mix EVER)), and Zomboid [Zeroshiki Mix].
Gotta love those Dir en Grey re-mixes ^_^

Next, Inugami Circus-Dan. Female Vocals, that was a big winner for me, Their music is excellent, I can't really describe, it's both dark, and happy, interesting, and excellent. I highly recommend this band. Okay, recommendation songs are, Kaidan Kubitsuri no Mori, Bakusou All Night Long and Soushisuru no wa Start no Unmei.

Kagerou. I love this band, they have so many styles. The Vocalist, Daisuke, can do many many styles very very well. I also have much love for their guitarist, Yuana, very pretty man that one, and very very talented. Their PVs are nice and interesting too, I especially liked Aidoru Gurui No Shinrigaku. Recommended songs are Aidoru Gurui No Shinrigaku, Wrist Cutter, and Yuugure no Shazai.

Kagrra. Although not dark Visual Kei, still Visual Kei. They have quite a pop-ish sound to them, but their vocalist, Isshi, is awesome. I wish him happy days in the future ^_^. Recommendations are Ouka Ranman, Fuusetsu, Sou ((Love the guitar at the start of this song)), and Crow.

Kana ((Gotta love the bands that start with K, there are so many good ones.)). Now Kana, either love her or hate her, most people tend to hate her... I'm not surprised. Well in any case, I really enjoy her music. It's not dark, but at the same time it's not exactly pop-ish music... Sometimes it's a sick twisted mix of both. She has a very *cough* unique voice. Sometimes she sings like a normal, sane person. Other times she screams like a crazed teenage girl on steroids. Most of her songs do have random screaming in them, so be warned. Well, I've only seen 3 of her PV's and I don't really recommend them, as they have almost 0 entertainment factor, Mainly it's just pictures of her, and video of her, just either standing there or singing. Okay, now for the recommendations, Chimame, Hamushi, Hone, Kedamono, Tsuki no Tsubasa, Kiba, and Rou no Kuni.

Kozi, Now this is good. I really like his music, although it seems to be slightly pop-ish, it's very very interesting. He has a very beautiful voice, really nice to listen to as you drift off to sleep. And no random screaming, *sigh of relief*. Anyways, Recommending Honey Vanity, Mawaru wa~Kioku and Incoherents.

Malice Mizer. Malice Mizer is a classic, Mana's first band ((look Mana up on Google, I dare you, he is beautiful)), It was also one of Kozi's bands. Anyways, I don't really recommend listening to that much Malice Mizer unless you're a fan of slightly classical, slightly rock type music. But the songs I do recommend are Au Revior, Beast of Blood, Illuminati, and Syunikiss.

Pierrot. Although technically not Visual Kei, still really good. Since they're not Visual Kei, I wont say much about them. But I do recommend the songs Yuuyami Suicide, Haruka and Smiley Skeleton.

Psycho le Cemu. Also regarded as the Super Cosplay Band. They have elaborate costumes, and aren't afraid to dress up. Their vocalist, Daishi, has a wonderful and entrancing voice. In their older songs he tends to scream and yell a lot more, but in their more recent music he has toned it down a lot, and goes for a more lighter vocal approach. I recommend the songs, Ai no Uta, Roman Hikou, Ima Sugu Kiss Me, and Shunkashuutou.

and Lastly, Vidoll. I think this band is quite average, although there are quite a few original-ish songs in there, somewhere... O_o, Well I like them, Their vocalist has quite a deep voice, and he uses that voice very well. I also loved their Bassist, brilliant guy that one. Recommending Heroin, Hitokiri no Chrixxmas, Mommy x Daddy, and Torikabuto.

Okay finished, feel free to tell me your thoughts, feel free to criticize, feel free to flame, feel free to question, and most of all feel free to actually try some of the music I have recommended ^___^.
Akuma2636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:32 AM   #14
AilicesEpitaph

Location: Indiana, soon to be Alabama. usually in the dark by candle light(in my room) my lightbulbs burnt out
I love Visual Kei... here are some of my favorites (probably already listed but it shan't hurt to post anyways!)

Malice Mizer (what hasn't been said about Mana that shouldn't have the need to be said again? Oh so lovely!)
Cleaver Sleazoid
D'espairs Ray
Dir en Grey
Psycho le Cemu
and last but definetly not least... X Japan

I'm going to buy an English to Japanese dictionary so I can translate the lyrics. I hate having those songs stuck in my head and not know what's really going through my head!
AilicesEpitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #15
rockandrose

One of the biggest Visual Kei bands was 'Luna Sea' from Korea, who were active between 1989 and 2000.

I've yet to have a taste of their music and was wondering if anyone has had a taste of their music.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
storytellers_night

ahh i love visual kei!
some of my favourite bands;
-d'espairsray
-vidoll
-blood
-dir en grey
-malice mizer
-pierrot
and just too many!
storytellers_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:37 AM   #17
Defy

Some of them very very cool

but some band make me sick of their music that too pop
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #18
Lackluster_Heavens

I'm so sorry to show my ignorance but, I dont really know what visual kei is. Is it simply a style of music or something greater? Please dont flame me, i'm just curios and ignorant and the best way to get rid of both conditions it to ask people more knowing then myself.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #19
Lackluster_Heavens

My apologies, it's late and I didn't read the very beginning of it. Once again, feel free to flame my stupidity.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #20
Demonista_Ravenesque

Hey lackluster, you lack brains!

hahahaha! No, I'm joking, next time sweetie, think before you post, Not thinking and posting is a BIG no-no in Gnet, so be careful or we'll label you a troll.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:31 AM   #21
Lackluster_Heavens

And noone likes being a troll, they live under bridges and eat goats apperently.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #22
Demonista_Ravenesque

Precisely, Just watching your back, matey

Old 02-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #23
Lackluster_Heavens

I will try. Just sometimes the insomnia gets to my brain.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #24
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gestalt
Visual kei is a music scene mostly in japan that combines great music with visual performances and looks. It varies in sound alot, and is sometimes lighter, sometimes very very heavy, and everything in between. Visual kei refers to more of a look that the actual style of music. Almost all visual kei is indie, and most of them arn't too well known with the excpetion of Dir en grey.
Lackluster_Heavens, if you managed to post, then it's not that difficult to read what was in the introduction of this thread.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
Lackluster_Heavens

Sorry...your a bit too late, we've already been over this.