Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Delkaetre

Photography is Terrorism, my friend

No, really. Check out these posters from the Met (the London police, for those of you who aren't based on this landmass)
Photography Is Terrorism
Inviting Friends Over Is Terrorism
Keeping A Spare Phone is Terrorism

And for those of you who doubt the veracity of these truly Orwellian claims upon our innocence, here's the Met's actual site to show you the origin of the art.

If you can't be bothered with the links, the text of the photography poster reads
Quote:
"Thousands of people take photographs every day. What if one of them seems odd? Terrorists use surveillance to help plan attacks, taking photos and making notes about security measures like the location of CCTV cameras. If you see someone doing that, we need to know. Let experienced officers decide what action to take."
Yes kids and kittens, it seems that we of the United Kingdom (but mostly London, Manchester, Yorkshire and the West Midlands) are indeed being asked to spy upon our neighbours and report the comings and goings of those around us to the police.
This all seems like a great reason to borrow a camera and start taking photos of CCTV, train stations, etc, possibly whilst speaking gibberish into a dictaphone and/or making notes and idle sketches of the location.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

Wow, talk about spreading paranoia...

Y'know, if you want to destroy a nation, the best way to do it would be to make them so paranoid, that they turn on each other and destroy one another..
Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Methadrine

Great. Really great. Talk about bending to the will of the terrorists, who are probably laughing their asses off when they realize that they don't have to blow themselves up anymore. The government is more than happy to do their work.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
drewsilla

Would this be classified as propaganda?
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
AngelikDemonik

Big Brother is watching you.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Tumor

Photography, phones, and friends are terrorism, but propaganda isn't?
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
emeraldlonewoulf

Yes, this is propaganda. If this is actually true, the world has gone completely bonkers, I mean fuck-shit crazy. But hey, supposedly we already knew that, right?

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
CptSternn

I think its funny for YEARS the governments of the US/UK railed on E. Germany before the wall came down because of their CCTV and their 'citizen police force' called the Stasi (which was a group that encouraged neighbors to inform on others who were involved in 'anti government' activity).

For years the US/UK blasted these things, claimed they were tools of fascism and dictatorship, that 'free' nations didn't need such devices.

Here we are a few years later and the groups which used to preach so loud against these devices is now implementing them in their own government structures.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:49 AM   #9
Beneath the Shadows

I think England is collectively going batty. Not only are they starting a (stupid) propaganda war, they're also looking into padding lamp posts to protect the idiots who can't be bothered to watch where they're going because they're too busy texting on their cell phones.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Magila

Nothing to be too afraid of, terrorist are weakened greatly the past 10 years.

They are just a bunch of mad people who believed in their religion the way they liked it.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
Dark Clarissa

Well I'm fucked - I'm always taking photos as an ongoing art project in preparation for Uni. I was taking pics down the tube the other day...shit! I wonder if I've been reported? *squinty eyes*
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
sadistically_romantic

I think it is quite pitiful that some countries (especially the U.S.) are so on the defense from "terrorist masterminds" that we've neglected the people in our country. As far as them being masterminds, a mastermind would not be the one blowing themselves up.
sadistically_romantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
Cyntrox

I think my calendar is broke, it doesn't say 1984
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Dead Angel

CptStern: It was considered 'wrong' by the capitalista's because it helped support a government for the workers. (In theory, if well managed or not is irrelevant here.)

However when capitalista's want to oppress the workers and subject them to constant monitoring (to cut the health care costs of bon=bon's and Ding-Ho's), to take away the ability for unions to unionize without the capitalista's seeing who should be killed - when supressing the common worker is in their interest. again then it IS valid for capitalist nations to do. (IE: US/UK)
Dead Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
ionic_angel

As one of those "capitalistas" who likes living in a "capitalista" country (even though, income-wise, I'm below the poverty level and get zero government assistance), I'd like to say that I think this is...silly and over the top.

I mean, in my opinion all government information is propaganda (designed to influence towards a specific viewpoint), but couldn't they do a better job than this?
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
acidxrainbows

"Big Brother is watching you."
O_O That's exactly what I thought.
But seriously, that's really weird. What if you get arrested because some paranoid crackhead thinks you look "suspicious"? Terrorists aren't cool, but being absolutely paranoid about EVERYTHING isn't either.
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
psyches_reflection

I'm not suprised the Met has started this. Ever tried smiling at a stranger in London? Scares the poop out of them...

Definitely NOT a great way to counter terrorism.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Apathy's_Child

The first one makes some sense. The other two are fucking ridiculous.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #19
SoulCorrosive

I rather like it. Lets you know that it doesn't take a superpower to bring on some kind of change. When you're outnumbered, you try and use information as one of your weapons, you spread fear and hate through lovely red little flyers. The funny part is the Met aren't outnumbered. I really don't agree with terrorist semantics, but if the UK was a bunch of egotistical maniacs; I'd like to know that I can do what the terrorists are doing, and that it works.
SoulCorrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
Tea and Cake or Death

WOW! It's kind of insane. Is knitting Terrorism? I mean, who knows? I keep a spare phone & have friends over! WOO! Look out for me people! I'll take your picture! I'm WILD!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #21
††BlackRose††

This is totally insane.
That's all we need - a society that keeps moving back in time.
Hasn't any of these government people learned anything from history? Damn. Watch the US do the same thing. -.-
Old 03-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
SoulCorrosive

..There's not much conversation in this matter, is there? Just opinions...-sighs- Just like the real world -stares out the little opening in his cryo-chamber-
Thank god for radiohead covers of deftones.
SoulCorrosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #23
Drake Dun

Remember. Concious, systematic propoganada was invented in England and perfected in the United States. Tyrants don't have to bother with it. It's only in a formal democracy that you need propoganada. Otherwise you could end up with an actual democracy.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
Tea and Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyches_reflection
I'm not suprised the Met has started this. Ever tried smiling at a stranger in London? Scares the poop out of them...
OH GOD! Now I have to try doing that! It's on my list of life goals!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #25
Jaye Jang

Cool

Thanks. The posters are great. I needed a good laugh.

Oh, and Tea and Cake or Death, knitting needles are not allowed on planes. They are considered weapons of mass destruction or something. (Who knows, maybe they think you'll knit a terrorist while waiting at the airport.) Anyway, so are shampoo and mouth wash. Whatever!

However, at least now we know who the terrorists are on planes. They are the people who are knitting and who smell nice. The nonterrorists, of course, are the people twiddling their thumbs and who smell funky --- unless twiddling your thumbs is considered a terrorist activity. Hmm! Tries not to twiddle thumbs and appear bored.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote