Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #26
Rosie

Trip Hop is kind of like in between Hip Hop and Goth Rock sound-wise and it works pretty well IMO.

I like some old school hip hop as well as the hip hop theme from Gurren Lagann.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Trip Hop is kind of like in between Hip Hop and Goth Rock sound-wise and it works pretty well IMO.
Mm, I suppose. A lot of it does bear much similarity to Darkwave.

And by the way, Signe, ICP has to be the most god-awful band ever.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
Wolf DarkRain

Location: USA PA (the land of the Amish and French fries in salads)
Never tried listening to Trip Hop. I've heard negative comments about ICP. What's its sound and how horrible is it?
Wolf DarkRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #29
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf DarkRain
Never tried listening to Trip Hop. I've heard negative comments about ICP. What's its sound and how horrible is it?
They're a couple idiots who paint their faces and make rap-rock with asinine lyrics. I don't know what's worse though, them or their fans (who call themselves "Juggalos"). Listen for yourself though, maybe it's your thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5RTsOvawUc

And as far as Trip-Hop goes, Massive Attack's CD Mezzanine is aural orgasm.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #30
Underwater Ophelia

I like both goth rock and hip-hop.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #31
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf DarkRain
It's not horrible it's a very good genre.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #32
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
And as far as Trip-Hop goes, Massive Attack's CD Mezzanine is aural orgasm.
Oh so very true...

I'd have to say that I enjoy both Goth Rock and Hip Hop, though I don't really think they stand well to be compared to each other.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #33
Opteron_Man

I hate Hip hop! Hip hop is NOT music. It's noise. It consists of a bunch of "Gangsters" wearing gold chains, chimping out and grunting through a microphone about being badass niggas.

Complete sound pollution.

By all means, correct me if I am wrong.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #34
††BlackRose††

My sister listens to hip-hop, r&b, and a bit of rap and some other genres like that. Most of the songs are not ones that I personally like, but I cannot deny that some songs are actually not bad and dare I say it, good.

However, I hate rap. Same goes for death metal. If I am wrong, then I do appologize, but it can't be classified as music. Music should by lyrical and the songs should have some sort of meaning attached to them. You cannot possibly achieve the same effect by talking and screaming through the entire song, that you will by using your abilities to carry a tune. That's real talent. Anyone can talk.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #35
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I hate Hip hop! Hip hop is NOT music. It's noise. It consists of a bunch of "Gangsters" wearing gold chains, chimping out and grunting through a microphone about being badass niggas.

Honestly, please comprehend why saying this in the presence of black members who use these boards makes you look ignorant.

Chimping out?! Niggas?! Lord send me a Professor Griff incited riot.

Try again when you've listened to Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Busy Bee, The Session, Boogie Down Productions, Slick Rick, Doug E. Fresh, Heavy D and The Boyz, Naughty By Nature, Wu Tang Clan, Common, Lupe Fiasco.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #36
bleedingheart344

I've listened to De La Soul and Public Enemy. It just really isn't my thing. I'm on the fence about the argument you pose, Lolly. On one hand, I could agree that some of Opteron's comments were a tad offensive. On the other hand, I could argue that the dreaded "n word" means absolutely bupkis in modern society. Due to mainstream rap and mainstream culture in general, society has become completely desensitized to the word.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #37
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
Due to mainstream rap and mainstream culture in general, society has become completely desensitized to the word.
Honestly, my experience has taught me that the only people that care about this are politically correct liberals that hesitate when talking about my heritage, shuffling between calling me a chicano, Mexican, or latino, lest they get it wrong.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #38
Opteron_Man

Excuse me! I have nothing against black people. I didn't use the word
Nigge,r anywhere! I used the word niggas. There is a difference. And for the record, I haven't listened to all hip hop. I am judging only the small portion I have heard.

Don't twist my words around! I didn't say black people are bad!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Honestly, please comprehend why saying this in the presence of black members who use these boards makes you look ignorant.

Chimping out?! Niggas?! Lord send me a Professor Griff incited riot.

Try again when you've listened to Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Busy Bee, The Session, Boogie Down Productions, Slick Rick, Doug E. Fresh, Heavy D and The Boyz, Naughty By Nature, Wu Tang Clan, Common, Lupe Fiasco.
Agreed.

Hip hop as a genre is actually very good. It's just the slew of [hate-to-use-this-term-but] mainstream garbage that's being pumped out nowadays.

Opteron, its quite ignorant to judge a genre of music based on some horrid "examples" of the genre you've listened to.

And the only difference between ****er and ****a is that the latter is just a euphemism for an extremely ignorant term.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
Opteron_Man

And the reason I used the phrase "chimping out" is because in most of the hip-hop I have heard, the so called "artists" do nothing but rant through a microphone about their view of police, drugs, shooting people and hoes, ect. Also they sound pretty pised off while they are at it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #41
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Agreed.

Hip hop as a genre is actually very good. It's just the slew of [hate-to-use-this-term-but] mainstream garbage that's being pumped out nowadays.

Opteron, its quite ignorant to judge a genre of music based on some horrid "examples" of the genre you've listened to.

And the only difference between ****er and ****a is that the latter is just a euphemism for an extremely ignorant term.
Hmm, I stand corrected.
I was talking about the mainstream garbage. Duh!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #42
Opteron_Man

Wow! I regret opening my big fat mouth! I had no idea that everybody here would blow my comment completely out of proportion! And pervert what I said. Again I say I am not putting down black people, I have nothing against them. I am saying I don’t like hip-hop! Now I realize that because I have not listened to the full spectrum, I am not an expert. I am only familiar with the small portion that I have heard. That’s what I am commenting on.

I am truly sorry that I offended any members here by my comments.

Why don’t you burn me at the stake for this!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #43
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man

You are SORELY wrong. While I am not a fan of rap or hip hop, I can not honestly say the things you have said here by simply basing my observations with No Limit records or some shit hip hop record label.

Real Hip Hop and real rap are about poetry. If you know a god damned thing about music, you'd know that music requires a key, a time signature, and a beat. Hip Hop has all these elements. Not only that, but I dare you to even half way attempt to say poetry or prose right on the spot at the speed of light.

Where you might have to work at writing your poetry, rappers can pull it out of their asses right on the spot and it be meaningful.

At one time, I shared your views. Then I realized how fucking stupid I was.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #44
Opteron_Man

I say again, I regret opening my big fat mouth! I had no idea that everybody here would blow my comment completely out of proportion! And pervert what I said. Again I say I am not putting down black people, I have nothing against them. I am saying I don’t like hip-hop! Now I realize that because I have not listened to the full spectrum, I am not an expert. I am only familiar with the small portion that I have heard. That’s what I am commenting on.

I am truly sorry that I offended any members here by my comments.

Why don’t you burn me at the stake for this!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #45
Duane

Stop Turning Things Into Race Issues When They Are Clearly Not!!!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 AM   #46
KontanKarite

Who was making it a race issue?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #47
Tea and Cake or Death

Um, I think they are after Opteron_Man's blood, KontanKarite.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #48
KontanKarite

I can ALMOST understand why.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #49
IsolatedReptile

Anyway, I read that someone mentioned Lupe Fiasco earlier. His new album, The Cool, is absolutely fantastic and well worth checking out for anyone who's remotely interested in conscientious rap. If you like that one, his first album, Lupe Fiasco's Food And Liquor was outstanding as well.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #50
Duane

Wait... Lupe Fiasco is a dude? Dude, I thought ... heh.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote