Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Opteron_Man

When your pet dies

When your best friend dies it can hollow you out.
Share your stories.

I couldn't bear to put this in the "Whining" section, so I put it here.

My cat died of old age. She was 18 years old when she died. Her name was Sam. Her fur coat went to a lighter shade of grey in her old age. She got sick and hid somewhere in the basement for days. When she was finally found she was so weak that she could stand under her own power. I took her out and laid her on my bed and made her comfy.
She was so thin from not eating. She knew she was dying. I almost never left her side. She was so weak that she could not even get to the litter box to urinate. She wet the bed and her coat got soiled. I picked her up and gave her a bath. She was so weak that she didn't have the strength to protest being bathed. I dried her off carefully. She was so frail. I changed the sheets and laid her back down. She wouldn't eat. She still tried to get to the litter box to do her business but she couldn't make the 5 foot long trip and I often found her collapsed in the hall trying to get there. Her strength ran out. The next afternoon, I was upstairs on the computer and she started howling. Loud enough to be heard on the main floor from the basement! I went down to check on her and went back up again. Some time later, she started howling again. I went down and picked her up and brought her with me. I laid her down in my lap while I sat at the computer. She felt very limp. After a few minutes, she started to tense and gasp, tense and gasp. Later I found out that she was having a heart attack. I stroked her fur and she stopped gasping. I cuddled her in my arms and I suddenly felt cold liquid flowing, pooling under her onto my school uniform pants, and I knew she had just died. I exploded in tears and cryed. I screamed! I hugged her. My best friend had just died. When she was waling from the basement, She was calling her master. She knew time was running out! Later on when I pulled myself back together, I arranged her in a box. At this time it was winter so the ground was frozen. I had to keep her frozen in a freezer in the basement. for several months while the earth softened. I couldn't stop myself. I would often sneak to the freezer at night before I went to bed and stroke her fur. She looked so peaceful curled up in a soft little ball in that cardboard box with a cross. After the ground was soft, I transferred her into a wooden box. I took her to my grandma's home and buried her behind the house among the trees. I was sick afterwards for weeks Depressed I mean. I couldn't smile, feel happy. I missed allot of school. That was over 3 years ago. When I moved into my first apartment, I was given a kitten by a friend to make me feel better. Her name is Tiger. She's been with me ever since. I miss Sam but Tiger is as loyal and friendly as Sam was. That's it.

By the way, please be kind when you coment about how long and boring my story is, I bared my sole when I wrote that story.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Jaye Jang

OM,

My heart goes out to you. My cat is just my best bud. He's more 'human' than a lot of humans I know. *hugs*
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Breathless Horror

I know how you feel man. One of my cats died a couple of years ago, at the time it was older than I am now (she was 18 as well). It shook me up pretty bad, because she'd been around since I was born. I still miss her, but thankfully I've still got two more to keep me company.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
AngelikDemonik

I know how you feel. It's like losing a family member.

A few years ago, I came home from school to hear my sister yell to me "Simon is dead!" I thought "Nah...he's a lazy, old siamese cat. He always looks like he's dead when he's sleeping." So, I went upstairs to where my sister was, picked up my stiff, cold, Simon cat, and cried because he really was dead.

My siblings plan on lying to me when my cat, Nikita, dies. Apparently, they're going to tell me she either A. Ran away or B. Never existed.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
DeathToLems

Wow. I actually have tears reading your post. I couldent bare losing my cat. Shes like my best friend. Shes always there, always sleeps next to me when I sleep. I really do dread the day she dies. Right now she is curled up in a ball next to me. Some times in the night I put my hand on her to make sure shes still breathing. Some times she doesnt respond to me stroking her when I do this and it makes me worry so i shake her gently to wake her. When I feel her moving I sigh from relief.
No matter how many times she has scratched me, hissed at me, Crapped on the carpet, Woke me up from wanting to get in the room, bitten me etc. She is still my baby and I love her.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
korinna5555

I had my first cat Sarah from the age of two. I was encouraged to get a different cat, but I picked her. She was my baby, my only friend for many years.. I miss her dearly. I had to make the decision to put her to sleep four years ago. She was only 10.
I have my Roo now, and I'd be DEVASTATED if I ever lost her. She laid next to my head and stroked my cheek the night I found out that my best friend had committed suicide.. she's gotten me through a lot, and is a constant source of humor, especially in the morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwqpHsMExg
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
honeythorn

I cried so badly when my snake died. My little Slippy. I just sat on the stairs holding him coiled up in my hand and broke my heart .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
korinna5555

When my snake Speedy was attacked by a crow, I cried for days.. it was really sad.
I cry when all my pets die.. even the hamsters.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
Opteron_Man

Here's a couple pics of the cat I have now.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/DSCN0005.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/DSCN0019.jpg
Her name is Tiger.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Pye

My heart goes out to you my friend. I experienced deaths recently in my animal family and have done many times over. Our family cat was 19+, a similar situation where she became very weak. We had her cremated and my mother has her in a lovely engraved box in the living room. My rat also died the week before, heart attack brought on by illness. I kept her with me a couple of days before burying her as it was pretty rainy at the time and I wanted to be able to stroke her fur.

Be well in the knowledge that your friend died where she wanted to be, in your arms. She knew what was coming and found her best friend so that she could move on with your love. Although your new friend is not her, she/he will in time build up a bond only you and her will understand. I wish you both well in your lives.

She's beautiful by the way. =)
Looks like a cat we had a long time ago called Smokey. She was named so because of her fur and the fact she kept setting her tail on fire by walking too close to the hearth!
Pye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
DeathToLems

Aww thats a cute cat.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
prophecyofdoom

I cried for three days straight when the cat I had for 13 years died. I had to go through my day wearing sunglasses so no one could see I was crying.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
MotherofMercies

My birman died in a similar situation, I was crying nearly everyday for a week because I grew up with her.
Now I have two siamese cats.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sncommins/mypic9.JPG
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sncommins/mypic15.JPG
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofMercies
My birman died in a similar situation, I was crying nearly everyday for a week because I grew up with her.
Now I have two siamese cats.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sncommins/mypic9.JPG
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sncommins/mypic15.JPG
Aw, ever cute!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #15
Kraven Obscuria

Ah, sorry that's really sad. I had a hard time needing to put my cocker spaniel down, what a horrible day.
Kraven Obscuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I had a guinea pig who died of old age when she was 6. She was something of a grumpy bitch, but I still loved her and cried a good deal when she died... She was such fun...

Now I don't trust myself with the responsibility of having a pet. I'm too absorbed in my art.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #17
L'Oiseau Noir

When my pet Albino Rat, Neddy, died, I became a complete wreck. She was the cutest little thing, and so affectionate. She'd lay beside my head on the pillow when I napped, or when I was sad she'd stroke my cheek with her tiny, pink paw and lick my tears away; she wouldn't stop until I stopped crying, or until I was happy again. Neddy was a lot of fun, too. She liked rolling a small rubber ball back and forth with me--a sort of catch game--and loved playing tag outside in the grass during the spring. Then three loving years passed, and I woke up on a bleam sunday morning just a few days before Christmas, only to be told by my younger brother Neddy was dead. I cried for days. In all honesty, I'm still not quite over her. I cry now and again when I think about her.

But, even though Neddy's gone now, she did leave behind a precious little son named Sydney, who's now a large, fat rat like his father, Nicholai. He's an affectionate little thing, too, just like his mother, albeit he's a stinkpot and rambunctious.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #18
tickingstitch

That is sooo sad *HUG*

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #19
prophecyofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

When my pet Albino Rat, Neddy, died, I became a complete wreck. She was the cutest little thing, and so affectionate. She'd lay beside my head on the pillow when I napped, or when I was sad she'd stroke my cheek with her tiny, pink paw and lick my tears away; she wouldn't stop until I stopped crying, or until I was happy again. Neddy was a lot of fun, too. She liked rolling a small rubber ball back and forth with me--a sort of catch game--and loved playing tag outside in the grass during the spring. Then three loving years passed, and I woke up on a bleam sunday morning just a few days before Christmas, only to be told by my younger brother Neddy was dead. I cried for days. In all honesty, I'm still not quite over her. I cry now and again when I think about her.

But, even though Neddy's gone now, she did leave behind a precious little son named Sydney, who's now a large, fat rat like his father, Nicholai. He's an affectionate little thing, too, just like his mother, albeit he's a stinkpot and rambunctious.
I used to have two pet rats, which quickly turned into nine. We had them all for about three years. I did not let them on my bed, because they trailed little poo pellets whereever they walked :P

Rats do have a very sweet disposition for the most part. It was so sad, after a few years they developed cancerous growths and died within days of each other. I'll always remember them as tiny pink babies nestled in the palm of my hand.
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #20
Opteron_Man

My mom was ironing some clothes in the basement one day, and she accidentily unplugged the fridge. I guess the thing went for a couple of hours
without power. I was shocked to discover this. I opened the freezer door and dipped my hands into the cardboard box and to my horror, my little baby had unthawed.

She was soft and I lifted her out and held her in my arms and rocked her back and forth. She looked like she was asleep. She felt cool and soft.

She felt just like she did when she was alive and she would come in from the outside in the winter. I cryed again because I could smell her.
She smelled sweet and clean. My tears fell on her fur again.
I kissed her on the forehead and layed her back in her box and shut the door.
I plugged the fridge again and the freezer got cold again.
I was again depressed for several weeks.

Please be kind when you comment on this. I love my pets.
As crazy as this might sound, my animals are more moral and human then most of the human beings that I know.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye
My heart goes out to you my friend. I experienced deaths recently in my animal family and have done many times over. Our family cat was 19+, a similar situation where she became very weak. We had her cremated and my mother has her in a lovely engraved box in the living room. My rat also died the week before, heart attack brought on by illness. I kept her with me a couple of days before burying her as it was pretty rainy at the time and I wanted to be able to stroke her fur.

Be well in the knowledge that your friend died where she wanted to be, in your arms. She knew what was coming and found her best friend so that she could move on with your love. Although your new friend is not her, she/he will in time build up a bond only you and her will understand. I wish you both well in your lives.

She's beautiful by the way. =)
Looks like a cat we had a long time ago called Smokey. She was named so because of her fur and the fact she kept setting her tail on fire by walking too close to the hearth!
Thanks, I appreciate it. To all how posted kind words; thank you.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #22
Opteron_Man

I found a picture of Sam, she is healthy and it was taken
over a year before she died.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...on_Man/Sam.jpg
She is 16 or 17.

Daddy's little princess!