Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #201
Jonathan

If you see something you like, and you can comfortably spend the cash on it, you aren't hurting anyone. Don't worry yourself over the label.

At one time, I really liked some things I found on x-tra-x.de, not sure if there's anything there you might find interesting.

Good luck with the domestic situation. There's a fine line between joking in poor taste and being an ass. Hopefully it is the former.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #202
Kristin

Overpriced is right - $42 for a corset! But I HAD to have them. They are very slimming. Their clearance stuff is very reasonable, though. And I love the attention I get from the guys who work there. I'll try something on, come out to show my daughter, and they tell me how great it looks on me. I'm sure they're paid to say that, but I need it right now.

I'm with you on wanting to try something on before buying it. I did, however, get ahold of a couple of great miniskirts at americanapparel.com. I wear them over black leggings. I also love your suggestion of making your own clothes. I don't have the time to actually sew, or I'd love to. I can sew, but I have too many other things going on. And my sewing machine just broke. LOL But adding things to an item of clothing to make it your own, very cool.

Quote:
As for your hubbie...with all due respect...sounds like a tool.
You got that right. I wish I'd seen it 12 years ago. Because the kids just love him, I have to make it work. He's a lot of fun when he's in a good mood, but lately he's grumpy, sarcastic, and stressed out almost all the time. I'm so tired from trying to keep things together. I don't mean to vent in this thread, though.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #203
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Good luck with the domestic situation. There's a fine line between joking in poor taste and being an ass. Hopefully it is the former.
He thinks it's the former, but it's really the thinly-disguised latter. I'm just angry today, but I'll probably be fine tomorrow. LOL Sadly, he judges. He'd see some goths somewhere and go, "Oh, that looks really cool," and roll his eyes, while I'd be running over to them going, "Hey! Love the hair!"
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #204
ForgetThisLostLenore

I will admit, a lot of my jewelry is from Hot Topic. Check out the picture post. That cheap plastic cross (which I love so much, and no one will ever convince me it's bad ^_^) was from there, as was the glove. I mainly go to Hot Topic for the things I can't make on my own, or the clearance racks. When I was first starting out in my baby bat phase though, that's the only place I shopped. So don't feel bad, I just suggested thrift stores because I've had such awful luck with the clothing from Hot Topic. All my shirts I started out with have holes, and I keep having to patch them up. The skirt I got, which is dry clean only supposedly, I say that sucker can go through the wash, has lasted almost a year with nothing, and god only knows how much it was worn before I got my little hands on it.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #205
Kristin

LostLenore, I think the idea of patched holes in the shirts is pretty cool. A few of my new-ish shirts already have holes in them, thanks to my silly bird chewing on them. I don't let her on me when I'm wearing anything really nice!

I'll go look for your picture now. I should get pics of me with some of my favorite clothes. Because I'm older, I don't look as goth as I could have gotten away with in high school, but I don't look normal anymore either. That's a plus.

Hey, someone help me resolve an argument with my daughter! She says black and white striped stockings are emo. I say emos stole them from goth, we wore them in the 80's. I have an above-the-knee beaded black skirt that I wanted to mix with a slightly flared petticoat, one of my corsets, my knee-length boots, with a few inches of striped stockings peeking above the boots. Or is that really cliche now?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #206
Nytekiss~

Well, being a fellow Gen-X'er.. i have to syde with you Kristin.. I really don't get the whole 'whats emo and whats not' thing anyways. who kares. In my opinion, Emo is just a phaze for little kids. I didn't even know what Emo was untill a few weeks ago, and i don't think i will ever take it seriously.~ You do what you think looks good.. and skrew anyone that stands in your way.. unless its family.in which kase.. just gently move them slytely to the syde.~
Nytekiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #207
Kristin

Thank you, Nytekiss, for giving me the opportunity to go "Muhahahaha!" in my daughter's face! And then I'll move her slightly to the side. She can't stand emo, since she's almost 15 and wears black all the time, people label her that. She resents the implication that she's depressed, etc., all the bad personality traits that are associated with emos.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #208
Dreggas

With regard to the stockings, the black and white as well as red and black and purple and black and blue and black were goth long before they became emo fashion. Emo just adopted the goth fashion...to an extent.

I remember asking someone just what the hell emo was since to me it just looked like caricatured goth. They said, and I quote "Emo is turning down sex just so you can go bitch about it on ***********".

As for corsets. That's cheap for a corset LOL. I have friends who make and sell custom corsetry for the fetish scene and some can go for a couple hundred easily.
Dreggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #209
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreggas
As for corsets. That's cheap for a corset LOL. I have friends who make and sell custom corsetry for the fetish scene and some can go for a couple hundred easily.
I'm guessing they make the really good ones that do a bit of slimming (i.e. fat-squishing)? I need to get one or two of those after I've lost a little weight - just because I'm planning on losing and if I'm going to spend the money on it I want it to be something that'll fit me for a long time.

I got the black and purple stockings the other day, but I'm not sure what to wear them with. I just fell in love with them and had to have them! I could pair them with my black capri leggings, but I'm not sure...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #210
Dreggas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
I'm guessing they make the really good ones that do a bit of slimming (i.e. fat-squishing)? I need to get one or two of those after I've lost a little weight - just because I'm planning on losing and if I'm going to spend the money on it I want it to be something that'll fit me for a long time.

I got the black and purple stockings the other day, but I'm not sure what to wear them with. I just fell in love with them and had to have them! I could pair them with my black capri leggings, but I'm not sure...
Yes they are slimming type corsets with good sturdy boning so they will last a long time. She also does a lot of really nice detailing on the material, like air brushing and such.
Dreggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #211
Kristin

I may wish to contact her sometime when I'm ready for a "real" corset.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #212
Mr. Ed

"No offense, but your hair's a mess."
"Nice boots, fag."
"Are you from the 80s?"

Beyond that, not much. I usually get compliments whenever I dress-up in my favorite tradgoth ways.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #213
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
"No offense, but your hair's a mess."
"Nice boots, fag."
"Are you from the 80s?"

Beyond that, not much. I usually get compliments whenever I dress-up in my favorite tradgoth ways.
Is that you in your avatar? If so, I really love the hair. I get compliments, or in the case of my hand-painted shirt today, compliments and sideways glances
Old 05-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #214
Breathless Horror

I've actually stopped getting negative comments on my appearance. I think it's mostly from actually starting to talk and make friends at my school. It's almost a shame I'm leaving, I might miss it after all...

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #215
Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetThisLostLenore
Is that you in your avatar? If so, I really love the hair. I get compliments, or in the case of my hand-painted shirt today, compliments and sideways glances
It is, and thanks, though I rarely ever get to do my hair like this. D: But I just got a new can of hairspray, so I hope to do it up again soon.

What kind of designs do you put on your shirts? (I love to use fabric paint, too)
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #216
ForgetThisLostLenore

Fabric paint is my true love right now

Well, the current shirt of the day is Sweeney Todd themed, with a pie that has a cross/rosary coming out of it, and it says "It's Priest" on the front and "Have a Little Priest" on the back. The other one, which I kind of want to see reaction to, says "Wake Up and Smell the Blood" with vampire fangs in the middle.

I've got loads more, and eventually I might take pictures of all of them.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #217
le_revenant

I get the worse kinds of response:

- "the look" that says "oh dear God, what the hell?" (and this sometimes even comes from fellow bats at the club who dress in plain jane black T & hip-hoppy baggy pants while I'm romantigothed up);

- the quick lookaway or not acknowledging I'm even there.

Damn...bad enough I get the Charlie Brown treatment in regular life without it leaking into this life
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #218
badteccy

One time my friend asked me if I was "trying to look like Meg White" because I had on red pants and a black and white striped shirt.
I hit him.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #219
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
One time my friend asked me if I was "trying to look like Meg White" because I had on red pants and a black and white striped shirt.
I hit him.

Hmm I don't blame you.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #220
NightmareInShiningArmour

Yeah I get alot of shit about how I dress. But it is a priavte school with uniforms so not as much at school. But when someone sees me out of school.. yeah.
I get called Goth. Which I don't mind at all. I do mind emo. and people know what happens to them when they call me that. Personally it's an insult.. so yeah.
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #221
Raptor

Yesterday someone threw a lighter into my room (quite impressive as my window was only open a few inches and I'm 3 floors up). Then I heard people shouting from the ground to the room above:

"Shit I missed your window dude, its gone into the room under yours"
"Whos room is that?"
"I have no idea"
"Its that fucking emo kids room"
"Aha I was hammered and walked in on him naked ages ago, I thought it was my room"

I was rather confused, a guy did once walk into my room drunk, but I only had my shirt off...

And emos have called me gay before, because guys aren't supposed to wear leather boots.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #222
vampireboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
Do people ever make fun of your gothic apperence? I had a guy last night at my youth group tell me I looked like a vampire. First off, I was a little offended because I AM NOT A VAMPIRE DEVIL WORSHIPPER!!!!!!! How many times do I have to say it?? Then, honestly, once I really thought about it, I was just annoyed at him and didn't really care what he thought. Everyone has a right to their own opinions and his doesn't effect my life one way or another, you know? Anyhoo, anyone pick on y'all at all?

iam being called vampireboy along time in school i don't really ceare they are afriad of my boots hehehe
vampireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #223
vampireboy

same here i hate when they call me emo because i am a goth and i wear black finger nail polish and black jeans and black shirts i
get calld emo hate it
but i don't mind to be called vampireboy
yunger kids usely get sceards of me or just think i look like a vampire or somfing simmiler
i rember whén i had my black bondage pants with long chains strps
and my invader 10 eye and my leather coat the samller kids got really scerd but tought i was cool
vampireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #224
Raptor

You need to learn how to use full stops and capital letters. A spell checker too.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #225
Necrophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
Not to my face. Most people prefer to be pussies and whisper behind my back.

Really, you can't let people get to you. Like it or not, if you choose to be different from the mainstream, you're gonna get shit for it. All you can do is ignore them or give them some biting wit and move on. There's no sense in dwelling on it because you can tell them you're not evil until you're blue in the face, but they're just going to think what they think. They're not worth your breath or your time.
Same here.
But now I see it as a joke, cos they embarass themselves by acting like ****** scene kids.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote