Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #26
JCC

Why is being proud of your body synonymous with self-loathing or not respecting yourself?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #27
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Why is being proud of your body synonymous with self-loathing or not respecting yourself?
I think there's a difference between being proud of your body and being paid to strip in front of a gang of hooting men who'd hardly see the tasteful beauty in it. but then again, it's just my opinion.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #28
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
I think there's a difference between being proud of your body and being paid to strip in front of a gang of hooting men who'd hardly see the tasteful beauty in it. but then again, it's just my opinion.
You say that, but who would do it if they couldn't like their body?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #29
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
You say that, but who would do it if they couldn't like their body?
Drug addicts who are forced into it.

But I'm not saying it's about liking your body. Of course it's a great thing to be proud of your body. I just find the whole public stripping thing demeaning for women, considering that 90 odd percent of the people onlooking are merely trying to satisfy their sexual desires from it.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #30
JCC

Quote:
Drug addicts who are forced into it.

But I'm not saying it's about liking your body. Of course it's a great thing to be proud of your body. I just find the whole public stripping thing demeaning for women, considering that 90 odd percent of the people onlooking are merely trying to satisfy their sexual desires from it.
The same could be said of actresses who play overtly sexual roles, but nobody says that Sharon Stone has no self-respect.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #31
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
The same could be said of actresses who play overtly sexual roles, but nobody says that Sharon Stone has no self-respect.
I dissagree with overtly sexual roles too. I'm sure a lot of people say she has no self-respect. I know I sound like a prude, but I just believe in valuing ones body.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #32
JCC

Quote:
I dissagree with overtly sexual roles too. I'm sure a lot of people say she has no self-respect. I know I sound like a prude, but I just believe in valuing ones body.
Really? At least you're consistent.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #33
Underwater Ophelia

Not everyone has the same values as you.
If YOU were a stripper, you could say it showed your lack of self-respect.
However, since MollyMac is not you, and you know nothing of her values, you cannot say a damn thing about her self-respect.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #34
le_revenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
I used to strip. I still do Burlesque and Belly dance. I respected myself then as well as now. Shut your bitch-hole before generalizing, you fuck.
Marry me Molly!

Anyhoo, I knew women who stripped but saw it as a means to an end. It wasn't a situation of "oh I hate myself, etc." but, rather, they knew they could make more in an evening by showing off what they had, than slaving it out for days on end at one of our ubiquitous call centers where about all you were guaranteed was an ear infection from the headsets! As soon as they could they bailed on the strip job.

Do I deny there are women who would rather not do it but do it because of circumstances?
No.
One of my exes had 3 kids from her estranged hubby who wouldn't support her or their kids. Since I could barely afford to take the girl out she knew she couldn't rely on me as the next meal ticket. So she took up a "hostess" gig at a dive on a rough side of town, where she didn't strip but had to dress pretty skanky for the benefit of plenty fat & greasy patrons who were generous w/ the tips if they liked what they saw. Apparently one liked her enough she dumped my poor ass for him!
As soon as she could she booked out of there, from what I heard.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #35
ionic_angel

Quote:
I agree.

I find it odd that I agree with you, but on this, you've fairly well encapsulated my opinion.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Not everyone has the same values as you.
If YOU were a stripper, you could say it showed your lack of self-respect.
However, since MollyMac is not you, and you know nothing of her values, you cannot say a damn thing about her self-respect.
As I keep saying, IT'S MY FUCKING OPINION. Honestly, I'm not gonna change it. I know strippers. I know one who does it because she loves it, and I know another who would rather not. They both know I don't agree with their lifestyles but they respect my opinions, just as I respect theirs. Molly's entitled to hers, just as I'm entitled to mine. I'm not forcing it down anyone's throat. I simply stated it.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #37
ionic_angel

From my readings of the board, Ophelia's opinion is that the rest of us should have his/her opinion. :-P
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
From my readings of the board, Ophelia's opinion is that the rest of us should have his/her opinion. :-P
You're damn right.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #39
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I gotta admit she has a point on this one.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #40
KontanKarite

Shit, I respect myself and if I knew that it'd be a safe thing to do, I'd be a stripper at a gay club quick sharp.

I don't think stripping is being disrespectful to yourself, I think stripping for money is a SMART move to get some quick security in a pinch.

Shit, I'd flash my dick right now for a hundred dollars.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Do you take cash?

Just kidding, keep it away.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #42
Solumina

If there was a non-sketchy strip club around here I would be more then happy to work there, that being said there aren't really any around here that are A) clean looking and B) in an area of town that I wouldn't be terrified being alone in
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #43
KontanKarite

Yeah, I think that's the only thing that keeps me from doing it. The potential of being r@ped.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #44
Solumina

yeah, that or gettin abducted and sold as a sex slave (surprisingly large sex trade in the area, I blame Richmond and the state government officials there)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #45
MollyMac

Why should I calm down when you are making judgment calls on your take of the morality and self esteem of others- you are hardly qualified to do so. Your generalizations smack of ignorance and your own self loathing. Live with yourself.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #46
electrosexual

Quote:
Why should I calm down when you are making judgment calls on your take of the morality and self esteem of others- you are hardly qualified to do so. Your generalizations smack of ignorance and your own self loathing. Live with yourself.
Hmm? Oh I forgot about this thread. You should calm down because [SHOCK] there are people out there who actually dissagree with you, and there's nothing you can do about that. It's only an opinion anyway. I'm not judging you. Here, have some Valium.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #47
MollyMac

If it's only an opinion then why do you fuck care? Oh wait, judging people without any basis other than your opinion is all you have.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #48
electrosexual

Quote:
If it's only an opinion then why do you fuck care? Oh wait, judging people without any basis other than your opinion is all you have.
I don't care. Just think you'd find things a lot easier if you didn't get so worked up so easily.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #49
AngelikDemonik

I think it's empowering for women to strip. If someone is actually pathetic enough to shell out money just to see some tits, more power to the woman. She's using her body to her advantage. Sucks for the loser who can't see boobies for free.

Taking your clothes off and dancing is not disrespecting your body--Eating fattening foods, lack of exercise, having unprotected sex with multiple partners, and not showering, is.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #50
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Eating fattening foods, lack of exercise, having unprotected sex with multiple partners, and not showering.
All of which can also be quite empowering for women ^_^