Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #76
Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Could you be any more wrong? Most people who believe in Alien Abduction conceal that from their friends in family in order to avoid losing all credibility or being committed to a mental institution. We haven't even proven that Alien Abduction happens, everyone whose had a pet knows they can wreck stuff. Jesus christ.
That says nothing about how many people believe in alien abduction versus how many people believe that dogs eat homework on a regular basis.

Quote:
The comparison was based on who is more likely to be caught lying. The lie that most people believe cannot possibly be true is obviously the worse lie.
The problem with that is that every teacher knows that if a kid says "My dog ate my homework," 99.9% of the time it's a lie that the kid says in order to try to get out of trouble for not doing their homework, whereas a kid that says "Aliens abducted me" has nothing to gain, and that most people who claim that they believe that they were abducted by aliens believe it to be true while most people claiming that their dog ate their homework are consciously lying.

Quote:
This whole part of the post was supposed to be making fun of you.
Key words: "supposed to be."

Quote:
Every metaphor of that sort should be looked at through the perceptions of the average man. Reading what I said and saying "BUT ALIEN ABDUCTION COULD BE TRUE TO SOME", is equatable to reading "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and saying "BUT I'M A HORSE DENTIST" or reading "Anyone who doesn't look both ways when crossing the street is dumb" and saying "WHAT ABOUT BLIND PEOPLE".
A proper analogy would be saying "That guy's lying, he says his car can go 200 mph," with someone responding with "Actually, his car can go 200 mph."

Quote:
In your original post, you said a kid who claims to be abducted is 'obviously' telling the truth and a kid who claims his dog ate his homework is 'obviously' lying.
No, in my original post I said that you're ugly. (Something which, I might add, you've done nothing to disprove.) You're obviously talking about my next post, but you're still wrong. I said, "but then you compared me to a "kid who says he was abducted by aliens" (something that many people believe can be true), and everyone else to "a crowd of classmates claiming their dog ate their homework" (which is obviously the lie)." So when you say "you said a kid who claims to be abducted is 'obviously' telling the truth," you are lying.

Quote:
Most people will see the contest between the two as that between something that cannot possibly happen and something that happens at least once to every pet owner. Even someone who believes in abduction knows which one is more likely to happen, especially in the case of an abduction in broad daylight that nobody noticed, not even after the victim vanished for a whole afternoon.
You show me someone who believes that every kid in a class minus one had their dog eat their homework on the same day, and I'll show you someone who will be willing to buy a ticket for a train to Hawaii.

Quote:
You realize this is essentially saying "Only on OPPOSITE DAY! Niener niener!", Right?
That's basically what you said, yes.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #77
electrosexual

Holy shit .. I don't think I've ever seen gothicus being pWnd before :S
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #78
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumor
That says nothing about how many people believe in alien abduction versus how many people believe that dogs eat homework on a regular basis.
That you believe more people believe in alien abduction than in dogs wrecking shit is astonishing to me.

Quote:
The problem with that is that every teacher knows that if a kid says "My dog ate my homework," 99.9% of the time it's a lie that the kid says in order to try to get out of trouble for not doing their homework, whereas a kid that says "Aliens abducted me" has nothing to gain, and that most people who claim that they believe that they were abducted by aliens believe it to be true while most people claiming that their dog ate their homework are consciously lying.
I think most people believe alien abductees are lying for attention. Even though 'my dog ate my homework' is probably lie, there's a chance that it's true, whereas most immediately dismiss 'I was abducted by aliens' as false without question.

Quote:
A proper analogy would be saying "That guy's lying, he says his car can go 200 mph," with someone responding with "Actually, his car can go 200 mph."
No... no, that doesn't make any sense. That's not even... figurative. Sweet god.

Quote:
No, in my original post I said that you're ugly. (Something which, I might add, you've done nothing to disprove.) You're obviously talking about my next post, but you're still wrong. I said, "but then you compared me to a "kid who says he was abducted by aliens" (something that many people believe can be true), and everyone else to "a crowd of classmates claiming their dog ate their homework" (which is obviously the lie)." So when you say "you said a kid who claims to be abducted is 'obviously' telling the truth," you are lying.
Okay, but we've already been over how 'alien abduction' is a more obvious lie.

Quote:
You show me someone who believes that every kid in a class minus one had their dog eat their homework on the same day, and I'll show you someone who will be willing to buy a ticket for a train to Hawaii.
Here's that figurative part that you don't understand, again. Clearly, the situation presented would probably never come about in real life. It's a analogue for your particular jealous lie being less convincing than those of the others on gnet who said they weren't attracted to me.

Quote:
That's basically what you said, yes.
Breaking out "I am rubber, you are glue," now?

I'm getting tired of discussing this-- you've excessively scrutinized the most insipid, flippant remark in an attempt to save your dignity, and in the process just made yourself look like a gigantean idiot. So, I hereby grant you permission to think what I said makes no sense. No one else appears to have had much trouble with it, and you seem to have difficulty with a lot of things, so I can accept that completely.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #79
Metabolik

I love you gothicuss...seriously...I fucking love you
Old 05-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #80
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
I don't think so either! And I don't think you ever will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabolik
Ah, I thought you ran away from this thread. I'm beating you pretty badly at present.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #81
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
He hasn't been. A rationalization of an awesome metaphor is not an argument won, but a very very annoying debate.

http://masklinnscans.free.fr/4chan/D...utility_01.jpg

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #82
Metabolik

Quote:
I don't think so either! And I don't think you ever will!

Ah, I thought you ran away from this thread. I'm beating you pretty badly at present.
I run from no epic battle!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #83
raggedyanne

::laughs as Meth runs away from oncoming horde of well armed vikings bent on vanquishing his cute little ass::
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #84
JCC

Quote:
Tumor basically said "Your analogy is false because being abducted by aliens could happen but a dog eating your homework is a facetious lie", so I don't think that being pWnd is an option here, Tumor automatically loses.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #85
Tumor

Quote:
That you believe more people believe in alien abduction than in dogs wrecking shit is astonishing to me.

I think most people believe alien abductees are lying for attention. Even though 'my dog ate my homework' is probably lie, there's a chance that it's true, whereas most immediately dismiss 'I was abducted by aliens' as false without question.

No... no, that doesn't make any sense. That's not even... figurative. Sweet god.

Okay, but we've already been over how 'alien abduction' is a more obvious lie.

Here's that figurative part that you don't understand, again. Clearly, the situation presented would probably never come about in real life. It's a analogue for your particular jealous lie being less convincing than those of the others on gnet who said they weren't attracted to me.

Breaking out "I am rubber, you are glue," now?

I'm getting tired of discussing this-- you've excessively scrutinized the most insipid, flippant remark in an attempt to save your dignity, and in the process just made yourself look like a gigantean idiot. So, I hereby grant you permission to think what I said makes no sense. No one else appears to have had much trouble with it, and you seem to have difficulty with a lot of things, so I can accept that completely.
Fine, whatever, I've become bored of this argument as well. It was an amusing diversion at first, but your idiocy is beginning to nauseate me. In any case, this argument would've had to have ended today since I'm leaving for the weekend.

But I will say this... no matter what you think, no matter what anyone else here thinks, the fact that you caused a big fucking argument because I think that you're ugly makes you look the fool.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #86
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
But I will say this... no matter what you think, no matter what anyone else here thinks, the fact that you caused a big fucking argument because I think you're ugly makes you look the fool.
I believe my response to your calling me ugly was to tell a joke. This argument started when you elected to deconstruct that joke through the implementation of the most imbecilic logic conceivable.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #87
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabolik
Well, I do like gothicuss. I think he is kind of cute. Allthough he should smile more. That smile is nice to look at.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #88
Tumor

Perhaps you think that if someone calls you a liar it's oh so funny, but when someone calls me a liar, I'm not laughing.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #89
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Perhaps you think that if someone calls you a liar it's oh so funny, but when someone calls me a liar, I'm not laughing.
The humor just sailed over your head then, unsurprisingly. Keep going, though, your overreactions doubtlessly only compound the amusement of the people who did get it.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #90
Tumor

So, why is it that you want this argument to continue? Is your life so pathetic that the internet is your only source of interaction, and you crave every second of it? Or are you just an even bigger idiot than I previously believed?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #91
JCC

Quote:
So, why is it that you want this argument to continue? Is your life so pathetic that the internet is your only source of interaction, and you crave every second of it? Or are you just an even bigger idiot than I previously believed?
Hahahahahahaha! I love when people pull that argument.

"You're an idiot."
"*refutes said argument*"
"WHY MUST YOU CONTINUE PATHETIC PERSON.... Also you're an idiot."
Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #92
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
All I said was that I find your persistence in embarrassing yourself amusing, I don't know how you extrapolated that the internet is my 'only source of interaction' from that, as even an outback adventurer would probably think you were pretty hilarious.
Also, I don't believe the internet is measured in seconds...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #93
Tumor

Apparently you failed to notice (I'm not surprised) that I was referring to your insistence to continue the argument, not anything you actually said.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #94
Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Hahahahahahaha! I love when people pull that argument.

"You're an idiot."
"*refutes said argument*"
"WHY MUST YOU CONTINUE PATHETIC PERSON.... Also you're an idiot."
Either you're reading an entirely different argument, or you missed a whole lot.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #95
Stormtrooper of Death

And the arguing just keeps going. It's like the energizer bunny on crack.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #96
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Apparently you failed to notice (I'm not surprised) that I was referring to your insistence to continue the argument, not anything you actually said.
I don't care if this discussion continues or not. While your nonsense can be somewhat funny, to be forced to acknowledge that someone so profoundly moronic as you exists is equivalently painful, so as a whole I'm ambivalent. If you want me to stop responding to you, stop making inflammatory remarks, or return to going on about how alien abduction is a better excuse than canine misadventure, because, as I said before, my IQ's already suffered enough from that line of conversation.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #97
JCC

Oh if I had the power to lock this topic...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #98
Tumor

Quote:
I don't care if this discussion continues or not. While your nonsense can be somewhat funny, to be forced to acknowledge that someone so profoundly moronic as you exists is equivalently painful, so as a whole I'm ambivalent. If you want me to stop responding to you, stop making inflammatory remarks, or return to going on about how alien abduction is a better excuse than canine misadventure, because, as I said before, my IQ's already suffered enough from that line of conversation.
I find it highly amusing that in the midst of all that spew, you call my remarks "inflammatory." But if you want it to keep going (despite the fact that you claimed to be getting tired of it... another lie?), so be it. Let's go back to the beginning.

Why is it that, despite the fact that you have claimed not to care what other people think of you, when someone says something negative about you you get all butt-hurt and go to great lengths proving that you do care?

And no dancing around the topic with idiotic analogies, this time. Be the man you so desperately want people to think you are and give me a straight answer.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #99
Vexik

I haven't seen a punch-out like this since Little Mac and Bald Bull. Hit him when he charges, Little Mac!
Vexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #100
KontanKarite

100 dollars. I will flash my dick. Thread closed.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote