Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Lex

Fresh meat

Hi folks, I'm obviously new here. ;) I'm a 20 year old CompSci student from the UK with a long-standing interest in the gothic aesthetic. I've come here hoping to meet some like-minded people with similar interests :)

What I love above all else is art (the creating of), music, and dancing. Whilst I can appreciate the role of trad goth music, I have to admit to a preference to the alternative electronic kind - futurepop, EBM, industrial, noise etc. Bands such as Rotersand, VNV Nation, Reaper and Terrorfakt are my favourites.

Nowadays I don't seem to have the time to watch many films, but I do enjoy psychological thrillers such as The Butterfly Effect and Memento. As far as books go, I enjoy gothic fantasy best of all. I'm currently getting into Neil Gaiman after finally getting round to reading Neverwhere, and am always on the look out for more good, well-written fantasy.

Style-wise, I don't really have a 'favourite' outfit but have a tendency towards fishnet and (tasteful) bondage. And for clubbing, brands such as Cyberdog and Spank in *limited* quantities.

And I'll leave it at that before it gets too rambly. Thanks for reading and I look forward to meeting you all :)

Lex
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Delkaetre

Good afternoon from another UK-based goth.
I listen to some of the industrial/ebm (and find myself succumbing to it more and more often), though I still keep strong tradgoth allegiances.
Glad to hear that you don't go all out on the Cyberdog, their stuff makes my skin crawl- it's so overblown when someone wears an outfit of nothing but Cyberdog! Fishnet is always good, though, heh.
TL;DR- nice intro, welcome to the boards.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Clockwork

Man, all the awesome goths are never where I live :/
Old 05-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Man, all the awesome goths are never where I live :/
I beg your pardon. >:[ Prehaps you just don't look around you. I swear if you look closely, you'll see someone.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
korinna5555

Clockwork, Cogsy.. simmer down. Lugosi and I shall visit you as soon as I am of legal age and capable of escaping this hellhole.

At least you two have each other.. *mope*
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
If I'm lucky I'll get stationed over in Tacoma so I can visit both of you as well. All I've over here in Wisconsin is.... well me, no Clockwork, Cogs, Lugosi, or Korinna.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Clockwork

Aw man, we should have a mini-convention of our own sometime, you guys. I'll totally bring the Count Chocula.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Aw man, we should have a mini-convention of our own sometime, you guys. I'll totally bring the Count Chocula.
Why can I see you doing that, Clockwork? >.>
I can't wait to be visited. :]

Sidenote: People are starting to call me Cogsy. o.O
Old 05-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
Oblivious Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
Why can I see you doing that, Clockwork? >.>
I can't wait to be visited. :]

Sidenote: People are starting to call me Cogsy. o.O
Its catchy!
Washington isn't so bad, any of you peeps going to Folklife?
Oblivious Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivious Nexus
Its catchy!
Washington isn't so bad, any of you peeps going to Folklife?
Never heard of it. Where is it?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
Oblivious Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
Never heard of it. Where is it?
Seattle Center. Its supposed to be a celebration of culture and all that, but it really turns into the city's biggest street fair and performance event besides Bumbershoot
Oblivious Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Glad to hear that you don't go all out on the Cyberdog, their stuff makes my skin crawl- it's so overblown when someone wears an outfit of nothing but Cyberdog!
Or even worse - when they get Cyberdog tattoos!

Yeah, it can be overdone. I do like some items (always thought the black with UV piping looked cool), though not the garish lime green/neon pink stuff. I haven't quite worked up the courage to wear actual colours yet :P
Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Delkaetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
Or even worse - when they get Cyberdog tattoos!

Yeah, it can be overdone. I do like some items (always thought the black with UV piping looked cool), though not the garish lime green/neon pink stuff. I haven't quite worked up the courage to wear actual colours yet :P
Haha, colours can be strange and dangerous!
At the moment, I can wear one item of colour (red or dark green), if I'm otherwise wearing all black and white- I cannot do colour, it just looks so... strange!
Some of the black with narrow UV outlining can be good, it looks very clean and streamlined. But neon prints of orange and electric blue are just scary and wrong. I'll see if I can dig up a few decent cyberwear stores for you, if you'd like?
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
korinna5555

Quote:
YESH!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm bringing rice milk (cause I'm allergic to dairy)
My mom never buys Count Chocula when I'm with her. The cashiers "look at us funny" and it bothers her. LMAO..

And yes. Cogsy. I like it. However, if you don't, I will be more than glad to stop. <3
Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
And yes. Cogsy. I like it. However, if you don't, I will be more than glad to stop. <3
Oh no. I like it too. I just just noticing it.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #16
korinna5555

Excellent, Cogsy.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...a555/cogsy.jpg !!!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
Breathless Horror

Way to totally jack this poor fellow's intro thread guys! (though I'd totally be down for that chill sesh if I lived near it )

Welcome to g-net Lex! I'm sure you'll be able to carve yourself a nice niche in our dysfunctional little family

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
Gahaha! That put me in a little bit better mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Way to totally jack this poor fellow's intro thread guys! (though I'd totally be down for that chill sesh if I lived near it )
I know we totally jacked this thread. xD
You know what, were jacking you to. Your coming with us.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Haha, colours can be strange and dangerous!
At the moment, I can wear one item of colour (red or dark green), if I'm otherwise wearing all black and white- I cannot do colour, it just looks so... strange!
Some of the black with narrow UV outlining can be good, it looks very clean and streamlined. But neon prints of orange and electric blue are just scary and wrong. I'll see if I can dig up a few decent cyberwear stores for you, if you'd like?
Hehe, same here. Brightly coloured clothing always makes me feel so conspicuous!

Ooh, if you do know of any UK-based cyberwear stores (online ones are good too) you could point me to that would be much appreciated. I'm only really aware of the ones in Camden.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
Lolly PopMuzik

Hello, gloom cookie!

Still getting dressed up to go to clubs, coming home alone, sharing your bed with Max until you admit you're in love with him again, crying when he runs away and lying to get him to come back...

Aaaaand still sitting at Cafe Jamar telling your friends all about it?

Well, whatever floats your coffin. :P Welcome!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #21
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Hello, gloom cookie!

Still getting dressed up to go to clubs, coming home alone, sharing your bed with Max until you admit you're in love with him again, crying when he runs away and lying to get him to come back...

Aaaaand still sitting at Cafe Jamar telling your friends all about it?

Well, whatever floats your coffin. :P Welcome!
You've managed to confuse me completely and utterly...

Care to shed some light?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
You've managed to confuse me completely and utterly...

Care to shed some light?
I'm ribbing on your name because it's similar to the heroine of the comic Gloom Cookie. She's a fun-size trad/fetish goth girl who did all the sad stuff I said above.

It's written by Serena Valentino (usually not bad, though jumpy sometimes and in need of spell and grammar check) and illustrated by:

Ted Naifeh (wonderful, set the tone for the series in an Edward Gorey/Charles Addams way)

John Gebbia (started off good but nosedived and it's a shame because his back of the 2nd book art and sketches are great)

Breehn John Burns (nearly matches Ted in skill and quality, sorta Disneylike)

Harley Sparx (fairly good, though the heads are a bit too big and too many fashion cues seem to be taken from every overpriced goth boutique alive)

Vincent Batignole (he's alright but I don't think GC suits him, better in Nightmares and Fairytales)

Tommy Kovac (did "A Little Story About Lex" in the all color Christmas issue and it's so damn cute you forget that the ending is depressing)

Four words: Moon Raven and Vermilion.

It's a fun read and find it used if you can on ebay/Amazon.