Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
ThreeEyesOni

Beyond the Banana

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip
Below the headlines about rocketing food prices and rocking governments, there lays a largely unnoticed fact: bananas are dying. The foodstuff, more heavily consumed even than rice or potatoes, has its own form of cancer. It is a fungus called Panama Disease, and it turns bananas brick-red and inedible.

There is no cure. They all die as it spreads, and it spreads quickly. Soon – in five, 10 or 30 years – the yellow creamy fruit as we know it will not exist.
This is one of the first atricles that I've seen on this is a while, and I thought I'd post it here. It's one of those sad situations that makes me laugh a little; the idea of there being no bananas as we know them in as few as 60 years is rather disturbing to me. They're far from my favorite fruit, but a lack of them would be odd to say the least.

Perhaps now's the time to build a greenhouse.

When bananas are extinct, only crazy bastards with hermetically sealed greenhouses will have bananas. >_>
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
They won't go extinct, the doomsday vaults most likely have several banana samples stored.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
I Am Great.

As far as I know, they're growing them in isolated chambers in the bio domes in the UK, along with a whole load of other shit.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
ThreeEyesOni

Oh, I'm sure it would be unlikely for the disease to spread to EVERY last tree, but that doesn't mean that you'd ever see a banana again at a reasonable rate. :P
Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Ring ring ring ring potatophone!
I can live with that.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
ThreeEyesOni

I'm gonna go eat a banana coated in honey while I still can. >_>

Poor bananas and bees.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
LaBelleDameSansMerci

What I think is funny is that the term Banana Republic has been appropriated by a clothing store and turned quite docile. I'll have a good laugh every time I see that store, now.

The Dutch did the same thing with carrots. There used to be red and purple and yellow and white ones as well as orange ones, but at some point, the Dutch decided that the orange ones were best, so that's what they started growing. Someone recently found some still-growable carrot seeds of all sorts of other varieties of carrots, so he started growing them.

Damn these tyranies of people! What if other people want different bananas? There should be a whole variety of them. Not everyone likes Cavendish Bananas. The companies would be able to reach a wider range of people if they sold more than one type of banana.

Looks like my Dad was right, though. He was always prophesizing the doom of bananas...
I wonder what the Gros Michel banana was like...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Well then, plantains will have to do.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I'm hoping people will change to those little red bananas from Haiti that my former co-worker told me about.
*blinks* I ought to try a plantain. *makes mental note to get one at grocery store next time* Guh. Why does my lack of plantain-trying make me feel like a horrible person?
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #10
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
I'm gonna go eat a banana coated in honey while I still can. >_>

Poor bananas and bees.

If the bees go we are all screwed. There was a sci-fi book about the end of the world written a while back that was all about this. It was written before the current bee situation.

The bottom line is if bees die off, then most all fruit plants also will go, and therefore over half of the worlds food resources go along with them. After they are gone then the other resources follow within a few years because the loss of fruits from the food chain cause everything else to die as well.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Tumor

I'm not too worried about bananas. We selectively bred them into what they are once, we can do it again.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
JCC

THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS BETTER SAVE THE DAMN BANANAS! A BANANA'S LIFE IS SACRED TOO DAMN IT!

Bananas are my favourite fruit. If they die... I die.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM   #13
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
If the bees go we are all screwed. There was a sci-fi book about the end of the world written a while back that was all about this. It was written before the current bee situation.

The bottom line is if bees die off, then most all fruit plants also will go, and therefore over half of the worlds food resources go along with them. After they are gone then the other resources follow within a few years because the loss of fruits from the food chain cause everything else to die as well.
Yeah, pretty much.

My mom is very allergic to bananas. This article will make her happy..
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn

They probobly have something to cover the bees as well, they would be fools to save the seeds but not the bees as well. Though the recovery time for the bees might take a little while.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
Drake Dun

No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
††BlackRose††

NO NOT THE BANANAS AND THE HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This seriously sucks!!!!

It makes you wonder what other fruits and vegetables we had that went extinct.