Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Berlin Inaugurates Memorial to Gay Nazi Victims

http://news.**********/s/ap/20080527...any_nazis_gays

By GEIR MOULSON, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 27, 3:07 PM ET
Germany unveiled a memorial Tuesday to the Nazis' long-ignored gay victims, a monument that also aims to address ongoing discrimination by confronting visitors with an image of a same-sex couple kissing.

The memorial — a sloping gray concrete slab on the edge of Berlin's Tiergarten park — echoes the vast field of smaller slabs that make up Germany's memorial to Jewish victims of the Holocaust, opened three years ago just across the road.

The pavilion-sized slab includes a small window where visitors can view a video clip of two men kissing.

Berlin's openly gay mayor, Klaus Wowereit, said the monument was a reminder of the ongoing struggles that still confront gays.

"This memorial is important from two points of view — to commemorate the victims, but also to make clear that even today, after we have achieved so much in terms of equal treatment, discrimination still exists daily," Wowereit said as he inaugurated the memorial alongside Culture Minister Bernd Neumann.

Nazi Germany declared homosexuality a threat to the German race and convicted some 50,000 homosexuals as criminals. An estimated 10,000 to 15,000 gay men were deported to concentration camps, where few survived.

"This is a story that many people don't know about, and I think it's fantastic ... that the German state finally decided to make a memorial to honor these victims as well," said Ingar Dragset, a Berlin-based Norwegian who designed the memorial along with Danish-born Michael Elmgreen.

The commemoration "unfortunately comes too late for those who were persecuted and survived in 1945," said Guenter Dworek, of Germany's Lesbian and Gay Association. "That is very bitter."

He said the last ex-prisoner that his group knows of died in 2005.

Wowereit echoed his regret over the time it took to honor the Nazis' gay victims.

"That is symptomatic of a postwar society which simply kept quiet about a group of victims, which ... contributed to these victims being discriminated against twice," he said.

Few gays convicted by the Nazis came forward after World War II because of the stigma attached to homosexuality. The law used against them remained on the books in West Germany until 1969, and Dworek said there were 50,000 convictions under the legislation after the war.

Not until 2002 did the German parliament issue a formal pardon for homosexuals convicted under the Nazis. One reason it took so long was because the legislation had been linked to a blanket rehabilitation of 22,000 Wehrmacht deserters — a move many conservatives opposed.

The effort to get a memorial built started in 1992, and a 1999 parliament decision to build the memorial to the Holocaust's 6 million Jewish victims also called for "commemorating in a worthy fashion the other victims of the Nazis." In 2001, Jewish and Gypsy leaders backed an appeal for a monument to the gay victims.

After lawmakers approved its construction, a jury picked the winning design in early 2006 out of 17 design proposals.

The federal government financed the $945,660 building costs, while Berlin's city government provided the site.

The designers' original plan to feature only a video of two men kissing ran into criticism that lesbians were left out. Last year, a compromise was reached to change the memorial's video every two years, allowing lesbian couples to be shown in the future.

The first film — a repeating clip of two men kissing, shot at the site of the memorial before it was built — was done by photographer Robby Mueller and directed by Denmark's Thomas Vinterberg.

"It was quite important to have a direct imagery of a love scene, a passionate scene ... because that is the main problem in homophobia," designer Elmgreen told AP Television News. "You can get acceptance on an abstract level, but they don't want to look at us."

Germany has allowed gay couples to seal their partnerships at registry offices since 2001, although the law stops short of offering formal marriage. Berlin has a large gay community, as do other major German cities, such as Cologne and Hamburg.

The memorial to the Nazis' Jewish victims and the new monument will soon be joined by a third memorial honoring the Roma and Sinti, or Gypsy, victims. Some 220,000 to 500,000 Gypsies were killed during the Holocaust.

Work begins this year on that memorial, also in Tiergarten park.

"We stand stunned before the brutality with which the Nazis threatened, persecuted and destroyed all those who did not correspond to their inhuman ideology," Neumann said.

"The experience of war and Holocaust, state terror and tyranny, puts on us Germans a special responsibility to protect freedom and human rights."

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Oh good. I know that most of the people killed in the Holocaust were Jewish, but I feel like people forget about all the others who were imprisonned/killed for other reasons.
I'm glad they included the video, though I hope they put bullet-proof glass over the TV, or they'll have to replace it quite a few times. Though why they didn't have two alternating clips, instead of changing the clips every two years...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Tumor

I think it's stupid. Everyone who died because of the Holocaust is equally a victim, so everyone should be memorialized together. I know, up to now, for the most part it's just the Jewish who have been given special recognition, but just because that's how it's been does not mean that that's how it should continue to be.
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
raggedyanne

It's awesome that they're finally honoring the victims who were persecuted for loving someone of the same sex. I think it's stupid it took so long for the "criminals" to be pardoned, but that's politics.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
LaBelleDameSansMerci

It wasn't until the 70s that they took homosexuality out of the DSM.
Ideally, yes, everyone should be memorialized together, but I think people need to know that more than just Jewish people died in the Holocaust. I feel like if they make a memorial to "Holocaust Victims," most people will assume "Jews" because that's where most of the attention has been. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being called a "Holocaust survivor" if they weren't Jewish.
I suppose they ought to make a memorial to Holocaust Victims and list off every group represented.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
I suppose they ought to make a memorial to Holocaust Victims and list off every group represented.
Yeah, that's kinda what I mean. I also think it would be cool if they could do something like the Vietnam War Memorial with the listing of names... but that would be a huge fucking wall. Sure would be humbling to look at, though.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

If they remembered all Holocaust victims alike, that would imply they're nothing but a lump killed off by the Nazis. They would become a lump of casualties rather than innocent victims.
Imagine if the Catholic Church was lumped together with freethinkers like Shelley or Byron simply because both were targeted by Protestants!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
LaBelleDameSansMerci

What the hell?
So you say "The Protestants targeted the Catholic Church and the free-thinkers"
Or you could say "The victims of the Holocaust were Jewish, homosexual, mentally/physically disabled, black, Slavic, Roma, Sinti, Jehovah's Witnesses, alcoholics, prostitutes, or homeless, among others."

Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

See? Again you're lumping everyone together, but being careful to mention them on separate. It's still the same issue.
Let me give you another analogy.
It's much better to have a tribute to Kopotkin, a tribute to Goldman, a tribute to Metzer, a tribute to Bakunin, and so on, and to each remember them individually because they are not the same, than to make one tribute to Anarchists and bam, that's it, let's move on.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I see your point, but it is a memorial to something these groups/individuals have in common.
Doesn't having things in common produce more feelings of solidarity? I think this issue is especially important for things like the Holocaust or genocide in general. Seems to me that people who have things in common are more likely to listen to and respect each other.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Tumor

Individual memorials for individual victims are impractical and it trivializes the losses. That's fine if you're commemorating the achievements of each individual, kind of like the Hollywood Walk of Fame, but this isn't anything remotely like that. Besides, a Holocaust memorial has two purposes. Remembering the victims is only one of them. The other is to remember the event itself and, hopefully, prevent such an atrocity from ever happening again.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
ThreeEyesOni

There are many such memorials, some dedicated to specific groups and some to casualties as a whole. The point of specific memorials is so that people do remember the specific groups that were targeted, and how pathetic some of the causes were.

Many of the more specifically targeted memorials are built be groups with historic ties to that casualty population. That would explain why there are so many Jewish-based memorials; because there's simply more people with personal ties to kick in that extra little bit of donation.

It seems pointless and idiotic to rag on something based on benevolence because it's not benevolent enough to some eyes.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
There are many such memorials, some dedicated to specific groups and some to casualties as a whole. The point of specific memorials is so that people do remember the specific groups that were targeted, and how pathetic some of the causes were.
Exactly. I agree with Three and Jillian. You can't just lump victims like these together. You'll forget those who were targeted, and then they're just "the victims." Nothing more. You may not even know/remember who was targeted and why. I'm really glad they put this memorial up. It makes me happy to see this.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote