Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #51
beauismyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
They're a couple idiots who paint their faces and make rap-rock with asinine lyrics. I don't know what's worse though, them or their fans (who call themselves "Juggalos"). Listen for yourself though, maybe it's your thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5RTsOvawUc

And as far as Trip-Hop goes, Massive Attack's CD Mezzanine is aural orgasm.
I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. This is the future of my generation? Gah..
*shudder*
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #52
I Am Great.

I didn't bother to hunt through the thread to see, but hunt down some decent dubstep stuff like Glyphic by Boxcutter, or Degenerate by Vex'd. Dark and broody and fucking luscious.

On a side note, I played with Boxcutter a few months ago at a breakcore night (I think I might have uploaded the mix, I dunno). He's brilliant, a real nice guy and poor as fuck, so support him and go buy his rekkid, mofos.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #53
YuriBR

I don't hate rap. I do listen to Eminem, 2Pac and Insane Clown Posse now and then, among others... But not everyday, thank you very much. Tupac does rule, though.
YuriBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #54
Oddity85

I like both goth rock & hip hop.
Oddity85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #55
JCC

I love Hip Hop, much more than Goth Rock.

ICP don't seem all that bad. The beat on this Chickin' Huntin' song is good, their delivery could be better, it's their lyrics (and their rabid supporters) that need to be improved.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #56
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
However, I hate rap. Same goes for death metal. If I am wrong, then I do appologize, but it can't be classified as music. Music should by lyrical and the songs should have some sort of meaning attached to them.

It cannot? It has notes, a time signature and a key. How exactly is it not music? How about The Roots? Public Enemy? Talib Kweli? (to name a few).

Finally, you think music should be lyrical and have meaning? Ever heard of Mozart? Bach? Wagner?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #57
I Am Great.

Hip hop is a thousand times more interesting than goth music. A lot of it sounds like fucking elevator music. BORING! Hip hop has so many more flavours and is much more open to creativity, with artists and producers using long forgotten samples, interesting beats and breaking from traditional time and rhythm patterns. It's spawned some of the most amazing genres and sub-genres in the recent years, like dub-step, grime, hardcore drum and bass, so on. What has goth got? A bunch of twats who say "Oooh, The Cure are so neat-o 'cuz they used the same sound as surf rock on two songs!"

You know what? So did Pixies. Where the fuck is the love for them, mother fuckers!? Pixies fucking INVENTED the grunge era, if it wasn't for them many fantastic bands wouldn't exist. What has The Cure given us besides tickets that are too fucking expensive, back combing and pretentious fuck nuts who spout the same tired rhetoric over and over again. Way to live in the past, manG!

Seriously, go check out Vex'd, or any of the groups Mir mentioned. They've got much better shit going on than a bunch of groups and musicians that might fucking DIE if they used a different fucking guitar pedal.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #58
Mir

I love you, manG!

I just came up with a riff based on natural harmonics in the key of Dm. [/derail]
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #59
I Am Great.

I'm trying a more down tempo track. I've got an idea for a collab' with a friend from Texas. Should come out OK.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #60
Mir

Heavy-ish?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #61
I Am Great.

Kind of more gloomy than heavy. LOTS of sub-bass. You'd want a bad ass sound system to hear the majority of the sound. About 70% of it is below 90Khz, so it's pretty inaudible. You're supposed to literally FEEL the beat hit your body, as opposed to hear it.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #62
Mir

Sweet! Be sure to up it at some point. I've really gotten into dissonant stuff so that is the stuff I tend to come up with. Stupid phase, ha.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #63
I Am Great.

At least you're experimenting. New sounds = New grounds, manG! Who'd have thought that people would buy music you can't dance too and play it at raves?! But yurr, s'all good. If you want I'll make you a contact mic' and mail it to you.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #64
Mir

Can I use it for AMP mic'ing?

The use of dissonance is hardly a new thing though.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #65
I Am Great.

It is to YOU, though. You're BREAKING FREE of musical construct. With this, YOU WILL BE THE NEXT KHANATE.

And yeah, you can. Stick it to anything and you can pick up the sounds from it. I'll make you a quick sample.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #66
Necrophagist

[quote=Tam Li Hua][color=red]Honestly, my taste in music fluctuates with my mood. Sometimes I'm a metal-head, sometimes I'm an old-school Goth, sometimes a techno geek, been known to listen to and appreciate both the Chocolate Swim and DefinitveSwim albums, sometimes feel like listening to classical and/or New Age music [Loreena Mckennitt, Enya, etc.]...

Im the same. And metal vs goth is more likely because of being mislabeled.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #67
Mir

Awesome! Put it up somewhere, manG!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #68
I Am Great.

Nuts, I used a dodgy piezo. Anywhoooooooo, they're basically little metal disks that you can stick to things to pick up the vibrations, and you can use them as standard mic's for a cool lo-fi sound. I'm upping a track I used one on for you. Minimalist drone noise.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #69
Mir

Sweet. I'm already thinking of going back down to drop C, lows = 100, mids and highs = 0 and reverb = 90 with some delay thrown in. That should really go well with a contact mic.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #70
I Am Great.

Here's a cool thing to do :

Release your low E and A strings so that they vibrate wildly, like all the way down so that they're pretty much dangling. Get a tea spoon and thread it through the D, G, B and high E strings, like a weave. Put your guitar on a level surface like a table or your floor or something, with the high E facing you. Put a delay pedal after the guitar with the settings at :

Mix ~ 3 o'clock
Feedback ~ 1 o'clock
Time ~ Anywhere between 3 o'clock to six o'clock.

Then you pluck the high E and A strings, and tap the D, G, B and high E stings with another tea spoon or a fork or something. Cool soundscapes!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #71
I Am Great.

Also :

http://www.mediafire.com/?zjzqvr1lznj

The the muffled fumbling sound is the contact mic'. You can hear me breathing onto it at one point. I also used it to make the ringing sound in the background using feedback.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #72
Mir

26 megs! That will take awhile to download. Fucking slow ass Internet conx.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #73
I Am Great.

It's a pretty long song. What pedals do you have again? I'll hook you up with a list of cheap pedals that'll do wonders for your sound.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #74
Mir

PodXT Live which I use primarily. Crybaby, Metal Muff and Boss MD-1. Although the last three I've loaned out because I can't be bothered daisy chaining them all.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #75
I Am Great.

OK, get yrself a Behringer DD400 (Digital dealy), Danelectro DJ-9 (Compressor), Danelectro Tune Melt (Tremelo), and any EQ pedal, with at least six knobs / sliders. That'll cost you in the range of 120, for the lot.

Also, get your self some crappy old kids toys and learn to solder.