Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Yukiko_San

Woah...

What has happened to music these days? For one thing all of the bands look a like and all the music is about is "my girlfriend left me and I cut myself about it." God damn. It is driving me bloody insane. I mean yeah my music has not changed but whenever I turn on the radio I wanna shriek! It's horrid. What happened to good music? Please do tell.
Yukiko_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
viscus

So don't turn on the radio, if it bothers you that much. There's plenty of good music if you're arsed to look for it.

And exactly who sings about "my girlfriend left me and I cut myself about it?"

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
(heartofflames)

It sort of reminds me of Hurt.....
But Hurt's lyrics could be directed to someone else besides a girlfriend.

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
electrosexual

Listen to something happy, like dance music or techno. Problem solved.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Yeah I stopped listening to the radio years ago, unfortunately I still have some of the songs stuck in my head!

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Splintered

It's always been like that. Hell, even Elvis sang about heartbreak.

If you don't like it, then stop listening to Top 40 and get an Mp3 player. (Yes, they can be hooked up to cars for cheap. Especially if you have a cassette player in your car).
Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiko_San
What has happened to music these days? For one thing all of the bands look a like and all the music is about is "my girlfriend left me and I cut myself about it." God damn. It is driving me bloody insane. I mean yeah my music has not changed but whenever I turn on the radio I wanna shriek! It's horrid. What happened to good music? Please do tell.
What are ye on about? There has NEVER been good music on the radio. It used to be 'pop', then all the rap/r&b shite, then that was followed by the rap-metal phase and now we hear this emo crap.

I haven't listened to the radio in a few decades. All good music is in the clubs, and on small indy labels.

Personally, I buy all the new stuff off iso-tank and load up my music player which I then take with me everywhere.

Problem solved.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
I Am Great.

Get a job, ya hippy!
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Minyaliel

It's all 'bout the money, as I was reminded when I turned on MTV by accident a few days ago (they were showing old vids, I believe). It's not music for music's sake, it's "ooh, let's make some tunes quickly so we'll get rich and famous quickly". It's ghastly. I've withdrawn to explore all the great new wave and postpunk music I missed due to being born twenty years too late.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
weepingblood

That is why I like MCR, they do'nt care that they're image is not "fasionable", they just look how they want and do what they do. Most bands try to look all mainstream, I like bands who are'nt afraid to dress differently. It usually means they are not afraid to make music that sounds different.
weepingblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepingblood
That is why I like MCR, they do'nt care that they're image is not "fasionable", they just look how they want and do what they do. Most bands try to look all mainstream, I like bands who are'nt afraid to dress differently. It usually means they are not afraid to make music that sounds different.
What are you talking about? MCR looks like every other "alternative" band out there. The fringe-hair, the black suits... where have I seen this before? Oh, right.

30 Seconds to Mars
Panic! at the Disco
Tokio Hotel
Hawthorne Heights
Pierce the Veil
The Used

And that's just a few. I'm sure you get the picture.

And about their music sounding different, ha! They aren't original. Their music sounds just like every other "emo-alternative" rock group I hear my friends. and others, listening to.

But I digress; to make this reply relevant to the initial post:

OP, What were you expecting to be effusing from your speakers? Meaningful songs? No, you heard the mournful tunes of children who were picked on during their highschool years. Procure an I-pod, hook that into your car, and jam away. It works so much more efficiently.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepingblood
I sincerely hope you're just "taking the piss" as it were.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
I Am Great.

And why is that, oh Holy One?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Yukiko_San

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
So don't turn on the radio, if it bothers you that much. There's plenty of good music if you're arsed to look for it.

And exactly who sings about "my girlfriend left me and I cut myself about it?"
I am talking about the general amount of music that is shoved onto the airwaves and around the telli for my generation to listen to. I listen to mostly techno and raver music. I was just making a point.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Yukiko_San

-.- oh I do love this so much. I express my opinion and get bashed, but if any one else does and their bashed, oh dear god help us all. I am not saying just I in general, but I am speaking of behalf of most teens today. So if you want your opinion to be heard, then let someone else express theirs with out being dick about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
KontanKarite

Quote:
I am talking about the general amount of music that is shoved onto the airwaves and around the telli for my generation to listen to. I listen to mostly techno and raver music. I was just making a point.

There's another one of your problems. Techno is pretty flighty when it comes to quality. I would be so bold as to say that a shit load of it is made through Fruity Loops at a 4/4 beat. But if that's what you like. :-/

I've ran into loads of interesting and entertaining bands these days.

Disco Hospital
Tragic Black
Bloody Dead and Sexy
Blood Penny
The Horrors
Unextrordinary Gentlemen
Vernian Process
Proudflesh
Frank The Baptist
Address Unknown
Zadera
The Cold

Those are just a handful of pretty good bands that you can really get behind today.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
Yukiko_San

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
There's another one of your problems. Techno is pretty flighty when it comes to quality. I would be so bold as to say that a shit load of it is made through Fruity Loops at a 4/4 beat. But if that's what you like. :-/

I've ran into loads of interesting and entertaining bands these days.

Disco Hospital
Tragic Black
Bloody Dead and Sexy
Blood Penny
The Horrors
Unextrordinary Gentlemen
Vernian Process
Proudflesh
Frank The Baptist
Address Unknown
Zadera
The Cold

Those are just a handful of pretty good bands that you can really get behind today.
I will check those out. They sound pretty good. I mean it's just mostly techno on my sansa (aka ipod wannabe) and i blast more... strange things at home. like Keiko Takamura.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #18
viscus

Quote:
Your point is that mainstream music is often bland and repetitive? Wow, how insightful!

This is not news to anyone, nor is it unique to your generation.

-William S. Burroughs

Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #19
KontanKarite

Techno is the bland and repetitive alternative to the bland and repetitive on radio and TV.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #20
Yukiko_San

Quote:
Techno is the bland and repetitive alternative to the bland and repetitive on radio and TV.
*Shrugs* I listen to my cousins techno, it's fun and I love to listen to it. Plus some good ol' Wednesday 13 never hurt.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #21
KontanKarite

Oh my god. Heh. W13. I haven't listened to anything that sounded like Rob Zombie in the longest time. They sound like a mish mash of Disturbd and Rob Zombie.

Not exactly my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
I Am Great.

I hear Bipolar Joe is fucking fantastic and has a large penis and is really very lovely.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #23
KontanKarite

I like a handful of his stuff. But I'm not entirely ecstatic about noize. :-/

Speaking of which, I tried adding him as a friend on myspace and I guess he never got back to me. Shame though.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #24
JCC

Quote:
I love Techno.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
I Am Great.

Quote:
I like a handful of his stuff. But I'm not entirely ecstatic about noize. :-/

Speaking of which, I tried adding him as a friend on myspace and I guess he never got back to me. Shame though.
Ha, I never noticed that. You're sandwiched right between some weird retard chick and a couple of "Business" types that want me to send me any of my uncopyrighted music and they'll do it for me.