Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Extraordinary

Inquiry 4 Yew

Was there ever a time -- like maybe before I was born* -- when being gothic was about something more meaningful than, like...

Quote:
yay! gothique! ^______________^**
*Before the moment of my accursed origination
** also Invader Zim, deathrock, or "clubbing"
Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
I Am Great.

I don't know, when were you born?
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Now don't go dissn' Invader Zim or I'll sick Gaz on ye!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

I'm a fern, can I answer?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Extraordinary

Inquiry into ur valuez

By the way, I live in a castle.

P.S. It's HAUNTED

P.P.S. See following post-scriptum

P.P.P.S. Please write soon XOXO*0×°/÷
Old 05-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Extraordinary

P.P.P.P.S. ya i get it yew fern oak u no treez n such here u go hav a cookie 4 ur diliteful witticizm

yay! cookies! ^^
Old 06-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Tumor

What's wrong with Invader Zim? Besides it's cheesiness?
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Extraordinary

Some questions are better answered with more questions:

What's wrong with Hot Topic?
What's wrong with Insane Clown Posse?
What's wrong with Criss Angel?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Yes, we Goths were once the custodians of ancient, horrifically powerful magic(k)s, akin to those arcane diabolic secrets possessed by gypsies and negroes. Sometime around when you were born we misplaced them, though.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 AM   #10
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
Was there ever a time -- like maybe before I was born* -- when being gothic was about something more meaningful than, like...

*Before the moment of my accursed origination
** also Invader Zim, deathrock, or "clubbing"
Welcome back. How's life in your haunted castle? I live in a tower.

No, being goth never meant anything, ever. But since I'm too old to be a goth, I'm not a reliable source. Sorry. *shrug*
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #11
Man In Room 5

Without going into an entire rant, I've always considered Gothic to be the dark underside of the romantic movement. It's interesting that the original gothic literature arose right along with the Romantic movement and later goth music arose right along with the so called New Romantic bands. I'm not sure about film, but I'll bet that the era of the really good gothic horror movies arose right about the same time that romances were also popular. Really I consider gothic a subdivision of romance. Both require drama and high emotional intensity and seem to focus more on relationships between people than outright action. (I know that now that I've said this people will point out a million exceptions to this rule...but I still think it holds true as a generalization.)

Everyone will argue that their own favorite era of goth was the best and that it's declined since then but I'd guess that popularization would be the one thing that lessened the value of it. I suppose you could argue that the goth scene lost value once it reached a point where you could buy the whole package in one shot without understanding the concepts behind it. Hot Topic has built their entire reputation on that fact but they're not the only ones. I remember being shocked when Best Buy started selling Bauhaus and I was still shocked to see Rasputina there years later. I was also shocked for the very short time that Best Buy actually carried the Cleopatra label. Certain authors also seem to have cashed in on goth and cheapened it by pandering to the gothic image until they were feeding us a pastiche of our own scene. I won't name any names. I'll just say it wasn't a very bright idea. But that same cheapening happened in the original era of gothic literature too as more authors cranked out "shilling shockers". The internet itself was probably a major factor too. Suddenly, any goth with a Geocities page could reach the world and there was a sea of wanna-bes dying to eat up whatever appeared cool, obscure and "underground" at the time.

Maybe this turned into a rant after all. Oh well. Too bad.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Lizzie
Welcome back. How's life in your haunted castle? I live in a tower.

No, being goth never meant anything, ever. But since I'm too old to be a goth, I'm not a reliable source. Sorry. *shrug*

Thanks for asking, Tin Lizzie. Life in my haunted castle is well, just like the finale of the Harry Potter series. I hope your tower is gleaming brightly, unless you prefer crumbling towers.

Please write soon,
Gothicusmaximus
Old 06-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
Without going into an entire rant, I've always considered Gothic to be the dark underside of the romantic movement. It's interesting that the original gothic literature arose right along with the Romantic movement and later goth music arose right along with the so called New Romantic bands. I'm not sure about film, but I'll bet that the era of the really good gothic horror movies arose right about the same time that romances were also popular. Really I consider gothic a subdivision of romance. Both require drama and high emotional intensity and seem to focus more on relationships between people than outright action. (I know that now that I've said this people will point out a million exceptions to this rule...but I still think it holds true as a generalization.)

Everyone will argue that their own favorite era of goth was the best and that it's declined since then but I'd guess that popularization would be the one thing that lessened the value of it. I suppose you could argue that the goth scene lost value once it reached a point where you could buy the whole package in one shot without understanding the concepts behind it. Hot Topic has built their entire reputation on that fact but they're not the only ones. I remember being shocked when Best Buy started selling Bauhaus and I was still shocked to see Rasputina there years later. I was also shocked for the very short time that Best Buy actually carried the Cleopatra label. Certain authors also seem to have cashed in on goth and cheapened it by pandering to the gothic image until they were feeding us a pastiche of our own scene. I won't name any names. I'll just say it wasn't a very bright idea. But that same cheapening happened in the original era of gothic literature too as more authors cranked out "shilling shockers". The internet itself was probably a major factor too. Suddenly, any goth with a Geocities page could reach the world and there was a sea of wanna-bes dying to eat up whatever appeared cool, obscure and "underground" at the time.

Maybe this turned into a rant after all. Oh well. Too bad.
I agree, and I think the internet changed and or ruined a lot of things. Maybe it affected goth negatively. I really wonder what gothic culture was like before the internet, and if anyone was ever accused of being a "poseur" even back then. Hope Room 5 is as clean as Rooms 4 and 6.

Sincerely,
Zoop, puzzle video game phenomenon
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #14
Apathy's_Child

Goth is like any other other subculture - a chance for a bunch of people to feel superior to everyone else, but in a new, dark, edgy way, because they're so ALTERNATIVE. Every now and again someone just likes the way it looks or falls in love with the music (why, I simply can't fathom), but usually, it's about feeling superior.

In both concept and reality, subcultures are retarded.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 AM   #15
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
Thanks for asking, Tin Lizzie. Life in my haunted castle is well, just like the finale of the Harry Potter series. I hope your tower is gleaming brightly, unless you prefer crumbling towers.

Please write soon,
Gothicusmaximus
I did live in a crumbling fortress, but last summer we moved and now my tower is of gleaming ivory. The view is amazing and in winter the wind howls like a tormented soul. Yet I miss my Gothic ruins and I dream of living in the wild mountains once again *sigh.*

Yes the internet has adversely affected many things, including goth. Since anyone can create an image of their ideal selves, no one believes that I'm really quite modest in my claims. Not being a proper "goth" I don't let it bother me, I simply raise the volume on my Siouxsie CDs and center myself *ohm.*

Are you truly the Periphrastic One? How delightful to see your alternate personality come forth.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Extraordinary

Dear Tin Lizzie,

I just now got your letter. I think it was delivered to the wrong address, and then re-delivered to me. An ivory tower is nothing to be ashamed of, but your gothic ruins sound agreeable too. Maybe the howling wind really is made of tormented souls. That sounds swell.

Why don't people believe you're modest in your claims, and furthermore, what are your claims? I'm afraid I am not a proper goth either. I wonder which is the honest facet: the self of the internet or offline's self. What's a CD?

Love,
Godslayer Jillian

P.S. x.x;
Old 06-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #17
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:

Why don't people believe you're modest in your claims, and furthermore, what are your claims? I'm afraid I am not a proper goth either. I wonder which is the honest facet: the self of the internet or offline's self. What's a CD?
Dear Extraordinary,

What challenging questions you raise! I do enjoy your presence on these boards. *chuckle* You've gotten yourself into quite the arguments already.

I am too old and lazy to argue with most of the youths here. Whether they believe what I say is of little consequence, because it doesn't change the truth. I suspect they think everyone is just like the people they know "IRL." I've lived in four European countries and met many different people. My off-line self is much like this one (perhaps not so well edited).

Please feel free to think of me as your honorary Bohemian Auntie. The one who wears too much black, drinks absinthe (only medicinally, of course) and sometimes slips into a foreign language.

A "CD" is a wonderful bit of modern magic, I can listen to my favorite musicians any time! Mozart and Tchaikovsky are always available, Siouxsie is always in her best singing voice, and Edith Piaf lives forever. You should try it.

Sincerely,
Your Auntie Tin
Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
Minyaliel

Man In Room 5 - you know what, you totally pinpointed what I've been trying to say for ages. Thank you.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
Haunted House

Before deathrock, goth really only had about a year of existance and even then it wasn't called goth. And, I'm not too sure on this one, but I think the term "deathrock" was used before the term "goth" by everyone's favorite corpse, Mr. Williams. The term "goth" to describe the subculture was used by Ian Astbury in reference to people who liked the Sex Gang Children. Also, this isn't an arguement. It's throwing in my two cents.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
Extraordinary

Dear Auntie Tin,

I'm flattered! I didn't think anyone even paid attention. I am kind of ashamed that I even argued. I thought that I was too jaded to take anything seriously these days. I guess there are some things I will never have much patience for. I knew better, but forgot. You are wise for not fighting with people who are hard to ignore. I am jealous of your self-control. Or, I wish that I could breathe fire so that no one would ever ask for my opinion.

What you said is exactly what I was thinking: They think everyone is just like the people they know IRL. But it would not amount to much if I said that in a fight. Every thing said by anyone here makes me laugh.

It is very hard to imagine that there is more to the world than what you see. I have never lived in a European country. Sometimes, I think it sounds enchanting, but impractical for me. It would be nice. But I have known exotic people.

My offline self is exactly the same, including the "yay!" lines.*

Thanks for the adoption. What a curious thing to say. Then again, everything you have said so far is curious, and I have not seen you say anything in any other topic here. Are you a ghost?

Feel free to think of me as your honorary thespian nephew, the one who wears too much white; it feels pure. I do wear plenty black, too. On occasions when I can't decide, I wear gray. It is a calculated system.

I have read much about absinthe, but I drink rootbeer instead. This "CD" concept is peculiar, but it reminds me of something else. Somehow, I have never heard Siouxsie nor her Banshees despite hearing the name hundreds of times. In fact, I do love Switchblade Symphony, and yes, I do know they have been called a Siouxsie ripoff. Maybe it's time I finally listened. Classical music? It is engaging.

Please write soon,
Your Nephew Roo

P.S. Not really.
P.P.S. Do you know why I say the "yay!" lines? I don't think they do.
P.P.P.S. My name really is Roo, and I am not Godslayer Jillian.
P.P.P.P.S. What do you think about vampires?
P.P.P.P.P.S. This is my third time trying to post this. Apparently this correspondence is not welcome.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #21
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Man In Room 5 - you know what, you totally pinpointed what I've been trying to say for ages. Thank you.
Thanks. Nice to know someone agrees with me. I always worry that I'm being pretentious when I make long posts like that.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #22
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
Dear Auntie Tin,

I'm flattered! I didn't think anyone even paid attention. I am kind of ashamed that I even argued. I thought that I was too jaded to take anything seriously these days. I guess there are some things I will never have much patience for. I knew better, but forgot. You are wise for not fighting with people who are hard to ignore. I am jealous of your self-control. Or, I wish that I could breathe fire so that no one would ever ask for my opinion.

What you said is exactly what I was thinking: They think everyone is just like the people they know IRL. But it would not amount to much if I said that in a fight. Every thing said by anyone here makes me laugh.

It is very hard to imagine that there is more to the world than what you see. I have never lived in a European country. Sometimes, I think it sounds enchanting, but impractical for me. It would be nice. But I have known exotic people.

My offline self is exactly the same, including the "yay!" lines.*

Thanks for the adoption. What a curious thing to say. Then again, everything you have said so far is curious, and I have not seen you say anything in any other topic here. Are you a ghost?

Feel free to think of me as your honorary thespian nephew, the one who wears too much white; it feels pure. I do wear plenty black, too. On occasions when I can't decide, I wear gray. It is a calculated system.

I have read much about absinthe, but I drink rootbeer instead. This "CD" concept is peculiar, but it reminds me of something else. Somehow, I have never heard Siouxsie nor her Banshees despite hearing the name hundreds of times. In fact, I do love Switchblade Symphony, and yes, I do know they have been called a Siouxsie ripoff. Maybe it's time I finally listened. Classical music? It is engaging.

Please write soon,
Your Nephew Roo

P.S. Not really.
P.P.S. Do you know why I say the "yay!" lines? I don't think they do.
P.P.P.S. My name really is Roo, and I am not Godslayer Jillian.
P.P.P.P.S. What do you think about vampires?
P.P.P.P.P.S. This is my third time trying to post this. Apparently this correspondence is not welcome.
Dear Roo,

I am not really a ghost, although at times I seem to blend into the wallpaper. I read much and say little, online and “IRL.” One of my talents is reading between the lines, which some people assume is a psychic power. Au contraire, it implies a grasp of metaphor and simile in everyday usage. Alas but the Literature Board I haunt is sadly lacking in controversy, thus I’m not surprised you hadn’t noticed me before now.

I find the general masses to be tedious reading and prefer to focus on a few posts rather than leave my mark on the many. Rejoining the GNet Circus only a month ago, I attempt to “be the change I want to see.” Too many interesting, intelligent people leave because they challenge the regulars. So I would caution you against arguments, or at least choose your battles wisely, and continue to subvert the system. This almost-ghost is very amused. U stvarno, I was drifting away from this site when I happened on your amusing input. Good show, nephew.

Music is lovely in any form. Visit the Temples of Consumerism and enter the Chapel of Electronics. Ask the acolytes for assistance in finding the CDs of your choice. I miss the old vinyls with their scratches and skips, sadly they are no longer in production. As far as whether one merry band of musicians is better or more “goth” than another, my opinion matters less than nothing. If I am to be judged by my musical tastes, I shall claim to love the songs of birds and rippling brooks over any fabricated by man.

Sincerely,
Your Invisible Auntie Tin

Post Script: Vampires are charming creatures, but you must be on guard with them at all times and chose your words carefully - they love to twist meanings as well as necks. Pas du paa.

I have some vague notions about the “yay!” lines but hesitate to interpolate too much.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #23
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
In both concept and reality, subcultures are retarded.

Marry me?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #24
Extraordinary

Dear Auntie Tin,

You are the only interesting thing to me about this website, and that's why I wanted to reply again. But, if you'll notice, I returned here on the one-year anniversary of registering. It's only natural I leave on the one-year anniversary of leaving the first time. It's the symmetrical thing to do.

I am sorry to be sudden. In truth, it is not completely about my being consistent; there are so many things to be pursued in this circuit. If I may recommend, I recommend you not become too distracted by this forum or any other forum which does not contribute to an improvement that you have chosen. (It is too easy to assure yourself that time spent on something will enhance you overall or in an uncertain way.) You are clearly a person rich in culture and aesthetics. Don't waste a second of your time out of boredom, please: If you want to be the change in a forum, you might be better off putting up your own forum and running it the way you want. I just shouldn't stay here any longer.

Thanks, Auntie.

Love,
Roo

P.S. This forum isn't deserving enough to be graced by my singular presence. yay! presents! ^___^
P.P.S. Wish me luck, if you believe in that kind of thing. I'll certainly wish it for you.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #25
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
P.S. This forum isn't deserving enough to be graced by my singular presence. yay! presents! ^___^
P.P.S. Wish me luck, if you believe in that kind of thing. I'll certainly wish it for you.
Dearest Roo,

Alas, I fear you are correct in your analysis of this place. I shall not cast my pearls before swine any longer. Other realms are more deserving of my time and attention. Already I feel myself fading into the wallpaper.

I leave you with this quote by Henry David Thoreau: "The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

I wish you luck in your virtual travels!

Au Revoir,
Your Enigmatic Auntie Tin