Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
sorrow

Old Bands

Who likes the older goth bands?
I like Bauhaus, Joy Division and Siouxsie and the banshees.
sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
snapdragon

Out of those three, I've only heard Bauhaus, and only one song.. But I hope to increase that soon. heh.
snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Black Gestalt

It's wierd, but I'm not that huge a fan of siouxsie. The other two I love though. Add sisters of mercy to that. And maybe the cure. And all the rest.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
sorrow

i havent heard sisters of mercy, i like the cure though
sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
winged_dreams

I like Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, London after Midnight, Gene Loves Jezebel, and Joy Divison. Woot. I don't know how old those goth bands are but I do like them.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:57 AM   #6
Aeternus

Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy and London after Midnight are my favorites.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
One_Second

Joy great band , but we can't never forget band like , march violets, fields of nephilim, christian death, clan of xymox....
One_Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Black Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Second
Joy great band , but we can't never forget band like , march violets, fields of nephilim, christian death, clan of xymox....
I was about to say christian death.

Maybe the Gathering?
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
Star of Blight

Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, London after Midnight, March of Violets, The Increadable Pink Dots, Red Lori Yellow Lori, Christian Death, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fields of the Nephilim, Ministry, Dead Can Dance, Clan of Xymox....in general just about every band listed thus far in this thread are really classics of Death Rock, Synthpop and Punk (not goth mind you, but the music styles that spawned goth).

All are really great in my opinion, and are my favorites overally. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the classics.
Star of Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 AM   #10
pitseleh

Basically all those listed so far, I like, except for The Gathering, which is not an old band anyway. Just let me add a few bands that - while not necessarily goth - are relevant to the whole early post-punk/industrial movement: Comsat Angels, Fad Gadget, Wermut, 45 Grave, Cabaret Voltaire, D.A.F., Section 25, Virgin Prunes, Throbbing Gristle, Wire, The Fall, Gang of Four and Danse Society.

By the way, Star of Blight, I think you meant to write The Legendary Pink Dots (seen them live!) and Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #11
One_Second

So gothic "just "gothic " doesn't exist gothic is a various genres(variables) punk,rock,synth ..... like in metal , its just a term for a whole group...of many styles !!

Cheers !
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #12
One_Second

who have said this bands are far... or are kidding or this is a joke... thats all 70's - 80's goth bands...
Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #13
Shemjazza

a couple of things... what the hell is that last posting meant to say? and is it bad? there is nothing wrong with 70's or 80's music, and this is a thread called 'old music' anyway...
Sex Gang Children are exelent as well, along with any of Andi Sexgang,s solo work, also Tones on Tail, Nick Cave, killing Joke, The Creatures..... we could be here all day. Never was a christian death fan though.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
Junk Bond Trader

Great bands all. I'll add Alien Sex Fiend.

Would we consider Fad Gadget to be goth or just arty synth rock that alot of goths like?
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
Junk Bond Trader

How about Danse Society, Cocteau Twins and Chameleons UK?

Last edited by Junk Bond Trader; 10-10-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Additional bands
Old 10-12-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
Cinka

Smile

Hmmm. I think you guys might like PodCast Dark Culture Radio.

http://www.darkculture.net/podcast/index.shtml

This week I'm playing a Tribute to Bauhaus.
Cinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
rockandrose

Siouxsie and the Banshees are great on the ears and their lyrics are brilliantly written.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #18
Binkie

Huh, comple of mentions had me going back through my collection and digging up some of the older stuff. Can't read through this thread though without giving mentioning of And Also The Trees.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
Which_ones_Pink?

I prefer all the old bands to newer stuff, Sisters of mercy, The Cure, Bauhaus etc. Don't like Siouxsie that much though.
Which_ones_Pink? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #20
razor_playground

aw man those are the originals! that stuff seperates the real culture from teh terror cookies
razor_playground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #21
The Minister Saint-Fond

Remember Moist? They were kind of neat.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #22
Junk Bond Trader

Can't forget The Southern Death Cult who later became Death Cult and then simply The Cult. The common thread was Ian Astbury. I believe the Death Cult drummer also went on to play for The Cure at one point. Billy Duffy came over from Theater of Hate, another early goth band. Most people remember The Cult as an AC/DC style hard rock band that teetered on the edge of hair band status without going over. Most of their later stuff is crap, but Dreamtime and Love are fairly true to the gothic roots. SDC sounds like a darker, tribal, musically less competent U2esque (Boy, October era) post punk band. Astbury's voice was not the typical deep baritone as is the percieved stereotype for male singers in goth bands, although it approaches it on Love.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #23
nonfatsuperjesus

I love The Cure and The Pixies.... two of the greatest bands to come out of the 80's (yes I know The Cure's first couple albums came out in '79... but close enough to the '80's) or out of anytime. To date I have never heard another band as original or creative as Black Francis and The Pixies.
nonfatsuperjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #24
Junk Bond Trader

Also, how about Lords of the New Church? This is the gothic rock band of Stiv Bators, formerly of the punk band The Dead Boys. Notable songs are Dance With Me and Open Your Eyes, which is hauntingly relevant to these times even though it was written in the 80s.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #25
Junk Bond Trader

Hey, and I just remembered The Bolshoi. Hits were "Away" and "Sunday Morning." The beginning of "Away" sounds like The Chameleons' "Soul In Isolation" and I often get them confused at first.