Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #51
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Or it could simply be that there's nothing wrong with their IQ, and they haven't been as spectacularly fortunate in their education or notification of good reading material as you have. Perhaps you should think about that.
True.

I think the defining difference in intelligence isn't the random amount of facts you can fire out at will, but how you approach what you do not know. A person of great intelligence will listen to you talk about a subject they know nothing about and try to learn from you. Absorb what you have to say, so that they can leave the conversation with more knowledge.

Someone with, as he so eloquently put it, "The IQ of a blunt crayon", will listen to you talk about something they do not know, dismiss it, and learn nothing.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #52
JCC

IQ is connecting shapes, that's not intelligence, fuck that shit. You can't gauge intelligence.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #53
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
IQ is connecting shapes, that's not intelligence, fuck that shit. You can't gauge intelligence.
True also. Most IQ tests are spacial reasoning. I believe they added some other forms of tests. I think intelligence, as I said above, isn't what you know, but you're willingness to learn. Maybe that's wisdom...

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #54
Breathless Horror

I believe that falls more under wisdom. I believe the old expression goes along the lines of "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is wise." I'm assuming that only applies if you're also willing to learn.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #55
honeythorn

How do you know they aren't learning? They can sit there with the blankest expression on their face nodding and not knowing what the fuck you're on about, and to you they may seem braindead and thick. But they could in fact be simply taking in what you're saying and storing it for looking up later if it interests them. You simply cannot know and to "write them off as morons" makes no sense.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #56
Wormboy

Quote:
How do you know they aren't learning? They can sit there with the blankest expression on their face nodding and not knowing what the fuck you're on about, and to you they may seem braindead and thick. But they could in fact be simply taking in what you're saying and storing it for looking up later if it interests them. You simply cannot know and to "write them off as morons" makes no sense.
True, it's the things they say, on the other hand, that you could use to write them off as morons.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #57
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Or it could simply be that there's nothing wrong with their IQ, and they haven't been as spectacularly fortunate in their education or notification of good reading material as you have. Perhaps you should think about that.
That is true, and I considered that POV, but then if I made that claim I would basically be making some special case for myself as if I was a genius or something and sound really egotistical. I often joke about being a genius but I don't really think I've gone out of my way to educate myself. My education ended at high school. I went to public school and had to repeat 4 classes (altho my repeating them was due more to discipline than education). I've done a lot of reading since high school but I don't consider that anything exceptional. I read the classics which are available at any local library, bookstore, and even online for free. I'm not sure I'm much more educated than the average guy and if I am then it's his failure to educate himself and certainly not because of any special advantage I have.

As far as writing people off as morons, I should clarify that I work at a Walmart. That alone should indicate the sort of people I deal with. Walmart isn't exactly a stronghold of intellectual integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
True, it's the things they say, on the other hand, that you could use to write them off as morons.
Exactly, and I have a whole list of dumb lines I've heard in conversation which has made me label someone as dumb. I didn't give examples because I figured everyone has heard similar lines and could relate to my point.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #58
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
As far as writing people off as morons, I should clarify that I work at a Walmart. That alone should indicate the sort of people I deal with. Walmart isn't exactly a stronghold of intellectual integrity.
Saving money isn't smart? O_o I think it is reasonably smart to shop where one's money stretches the farthest. There is more than one Goth DIY member here who has bought the foundation there for what turned into an awesome dress or jacket.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #59
Solumina

There is nothing wrong with a trip to Walmart but I think he is talking about the people who I have heard be referred to as Walmartians, they go to Walmart as an activity, not as a means to acquire goods, and they tend to be of the white trash variety that makes you wonder what their familie's policy is on sibling dating.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #60
Man In Room 5

Actually, I'm not even talking about the customers. I'm talking about my fellow employees...but that's all I'll say publicly since I know Walmart is a sore subject for many people and I'm not about to get into a flame war over it.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #61
Lapin

Ummm....

Miss Molly, because she's mean.
Ophelia, because she's good for a laugh.
Honeythorn, because she's sweet.
Gothicus, for the same reason as Ophelia.
Solumina, JCC, and Delkaetre (Sp?) just because they seem interesting and intelligent.
Duck, because Duck was fun.

I'm not sure who'd want to have coffee with me though. I'm not good at getting conversations going.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #62
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
I'm not good at getting conversations going.
And thats why you add a generous splash of brandy or the like to your coffee. The conversation flows a little smoother with a catalyst :P

Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #63
honeythorn

I'll have Jack Daniels or Vodka in mine! I am far more normal when slightly..lubricated with alcohol .
Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #64
Lapin

Nice idea (I prefer Bailey's), but I can't drink alcohol with my new medication. I warm up quick if the conversation is lively though.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #65
Breathless Horror

Ah, too bad about the no booze, but I suppose there are far worse things to be drunk on than good company.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #66
Minyaliel

Yep, tequila, for instance. *shudder* Or red wine. Anyway.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #67
Solumina

Hey now, don't go bashing tequila, although I can't see it going so well with anything in a coffee shop
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #68
MollyMac

Body shot off the barista. If she's clean.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #69
Lapin

See, that, right there, is why I want to have coffee with Miss Molly. She's a genius.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #70
Solumina

Yes, yes she is
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 AM   #71
JCC

I would have a large dose of dark caribbean rum in my coffee. If I could have a Caribbean Coffee (coffee, rum and cream poured over the back of a spoon [there's some sort of functionality to the spoon thing but I've forgotten it]) I would, and then proceed to tell you that this coffee shop is the best in the universe.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #72
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I would have a large dose of dark caribbean rum in my coffee. If I could have a Caribbean Coffee (coffee, rum and cream poured over the back of a spoon
Ah ha! Thanks JCC. I drink coffee by the gallons and I drink rum occasionally. I was wondering if there was a drink which mixed the two. Now I shall have to try it.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 AM   #73
Minyaliel

There's a German classic as well, it's called the Pharisee. It's essentially black coffee with a generous shot of rum and whipped cream on top. Now, if you do the same with hot chocolate, that'd be the other variety, called "Dead Aunts". Tastes good both ways.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #74
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I would have a large dose of dark caribbean rum in my coffee. If I could have a Caribbean Coffee (coffee, rum and cream poured over the back of a spoon [there's some sort of functionality to the spoon thing but I've forgotten it]) I would, and then proceed to tell you that this coffee shop is the best in the universe.
I can make those! I was a waitress for over five years and they were quite popular when it came to after dinner coffees. The spoon spreads the cream out evenly and slows down the flow, and when done properly the cream should sit nicely on top of the coffee and make the whole thing look like a pint of guinness. If you don't use a spoon or do it incorrectly the cream will just plop in and mix with the coffee.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #75
Solumina

Also you should make sure to put the rum in before the cream (if you are going to float the cream) or else the rum will make it curdle.
-Carbon Leaf