Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #101
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Ophelia's not saying that. Ophelia is saying that the book is intended for people of a low reading comprehension, and therefore will attract people of a low reading comprehension moreso than others.

To go with your example, a book intended for three year olds will attract three year olds. It doesn't have any bearing on your intellect to lower yourself to reading such a book.
Alright. Fair enough. I'm going to go try to keep myself from puking up the water I managed to drink.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #102
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Or maybe people will read something that's below their maximum reading comprehension because they like the plot and there isn't many vampire romances that are very well written?
It's like this. If I read a book intended for a 3 year old, it won't automatically mold my brain to that of a 3 year old now will it?
No, but if you're regularly reading books intended for children on your own for your own entertainment, it is VERY LIKELY something is wrong.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #103
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I don't care what anyone says, say I'm 12 years old or shit, I like the series. I think they're good books and personally I can't wait until the last one comes out.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #104
onedarkly1

Sounds to me like a lot of moaning over nothing. I haven't read Twlight, nor do I intend to, but it severs this world well. Think of it as introductory material for future members of this board and the darkness in general.

Everyone has to start somewhere. You usually do not go from virgin to whore overnight.

"Knowledge is proud because it knows so much; Wisdom is humble because it knows no more"
onedarkly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #105
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
No, but if you're regularly reading books intended for children on your own for your own entertainment, it is VERY LIKELY something is wrong.
Maybe you like the pictures?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #106
Wednesday Friday Addams

Rage!!!!!!!
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #107
Lapin

Aw. I thought Twilight was cute. Not great literature, sure, but that's why I read Neil Gaiman. I read Twilight because it's brain-candy. It's not difficult, it's long, and it's just so twee it should cause diabetes.

Kind of like my Sailor Moon comics. And the rest of my comics.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #108
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
I don't care what anyone says, say I'm 12 years old or shit, I like the series. I think they're good books and personally I can't wait until the last one comes out.

Single-handedly proves point about the target audience.

Seriously, though, it (Twilight) not my thing, but we all have "filler" books that we look to on occasion. I am a Bridge to Terabithia and Tuck Everlasting nut, can read either in less than an hour. It's a fucking brain vacation from my usual. Cleanses the palate, in a sense.

No one is mistaking the Twilight series (?) for high art, nor do I hope that it is the only thing being read recreationally by those who read it. In my opinion, it is the kiddie version of Stephen King. Something accessible and easily discussed with others in the apparently massive audience, and a way to pass the time.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #109
gothicusmaximus

Sensitivity and maturity be damned, if the act of reading Twilight induced in you any sensation but that of pain, my ability to respect you is impaired forever.
Incidentally, the only people I know who have professed to enjoy the series are those for whom I had no respect even prior to that profession.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #110
Nightmare-Neverending

There are too many vampire romance novels...how do I know? There's a section for them at my local barnes and nobles...But obviously this shit is main stream, there is obviously some entertaining value to it. I don't like it, I'm not gonna piss on it. Its some people's fantasy. So what is wrong about reading a fantasy? If having...romantic relations with a vampire is someone's fantasy why judge them? You are judging a person for having joy from something which in no way negatively impacts you. Clearly there is something wrong with people who want to be happy!
Nightmare-Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #111
Godslayer Jillian

Holy damn, this thread grew big. But I promised to go back to this post below so here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
No offense, but why the hell should anyone care what another person reads?
In the same sense, why should anyone care what anyone writes? This argument is just entirely flawed. I care because I find it annoying that many people - especially those that it's clear that want to be goths but don't want to be called goths for the extra points in the "just be yourself" category - think of themselves so much superior because they read, when their favorite author is always either Anne Rice or Stephanie Meyer. It's bullshit!
This obviously does not apply to GC who has clearly stated that to her it's just entertainment, but that's a different issue than the reason I began this thread. Her reason is that she feels offended I don't respect many of her tastes.
Quote:
It's a bit contradictory don't you think?
The below part? No. Not at all. It's entirely arbitrary and senseless that you believe this is contradictory.
Quote:
Many of you preach about intelligent pieces of literature yet you speak as if you were stuck in the ancient world, uncivilized and unaware that all humans are individuals, which means that they are free to think and do as they please.
For starters one has nothing to do with the other. We're literate therefore we ought to respect individuals? Where the fuck did that correlation come up? And what makes a lack of respect for the undeserving ancient? And why is ancient bad? Are Buddha and Jesus worse than Charles Manson and Lenin because they're older? I suppose you see where I'm going with this.
Quote:
The world would be one hell of a boring place if everyone was the same.
If you believe our opinion that it would be better if the world didn't have stupid shit being mainstream, then you're pretty much more of a clone than us. Why is it that only in insignificant and inane tastes people are different?
Teens that preach about individuality always think first about looks and styles and tastes, which are bullshit. Even if we all dressed in khakis and listened only to the beatles, we all come from different mothers and have different dreams at night. That makes us much more different than any attempt at individuality through separation of the self from the others.

And regarding a post that GC made to Ophelia, GC, you lost your credibility since the first post if you told Ophelia that because of a personal remark.
And to everyone else, this is a bigger fight with GC and me than this, because once we fought about Mindless Self Indulgence. It was exactly the same argument. She said it's just for fun and if I can't appreciate that then I must be a boring person. I said that I don't need to lower my standards to feel happy, I just decide to do challenging stuff every day, and if others can't do that and resort to inane shit, then they're the ones that are dull. It's more us being annoyed than us arguing different perspectives, really.
HOWEVER, that does not mean in any way that my first post which had no prior responses, is the absolute truth in the universe about the kitschiness and FAIL that is Twilight. It's nothing more than fanfic that sold.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #112
TurquoiseXx

Godslayer, it would be healthier if you took things at face value instead of being so subjective about things. It seems like you crave the achievement of being right all the time. Calm down, just relax for five seconds if you can. (By the way, your one-page essay was flawed in some areas).

Back to the point - We all live and die once so try to be happy once in a while. I used to have a mindset like you when I was a teenager but I eventually grew out of it. And to be honest, it feels a hell of a lot better being open-minded.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #113
Godslayer Jillian

Ok, first of all, I've had one of the coolest days in months. I believe I'm pretty chill. Just because I can shoot down anyone easily does not mean I am taking everything so seriously. And speaking of this, if there's flaws, please do point them to me, don't just mention that I have flaws. If you knew me better you'll know this is a genuine plea, because I hate being wrong and not being corrected.
And speaking about that the idea of 'open-mindedness' today is bullshit. There's no fucking reason I should be open-minded about someone's beliefs that the universe is the excrement of a bionic Chihuahua, for instance. This whole argument has nothing to do with me being close-minded - the argument of open-mindedness is a red herring that tries to win by pretending to be ethically superior.
And finally, the idea of "we'll all die eventually" is also bullshit. This has nothing to do with Twilight, but that same claim allows such unforgivable crimes like destroying the world slowly and leaving the carcass to your descendants because it didn't affect you.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #114
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
And finally, the idea of "we'll all die eventually" is also bullshit. This has nothing to do with Twilight,
I love you, and beseech you to become my immortal bride. I will bequeath to you the dark gift, and we will live throughout eternity together.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #115
TurquoiseXx

Listen Godslayer Jillian, I am a neutral person on these boards. Just because I say something you don't like or vice versa, does not mean I will see you as the dirt beneath my feet like you seem to do to others. Although your arguments make sense, they don't pertain to what I'm talking about. And although you're intelligent for the most part, you are also extremely egotistical which is a dangerous combination.

I have no desire to quarrel with you. It's just a waste on both ends. Don't you agree?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #116
Godslayer Jillian

I'm not quarreling with you. I'm quarreling with your claims.
I never fight with people. People are people. But the ideals they believe are a free war zone for me.
The relevance, consistency, truth-value, and amount of importance people decide to give them is up to them.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #117
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
Listen Godslayer Jillian, I am a neutral person on these boards. Just because I say something you don't like or vice versa, does not mean I will see you as the dirt beneath my feet like you seem to do to others. Although your arguments make sense, they don't pertain to what I'm talking about. And although you're intelligent for the most part, you are also extremely egotistical which is a dangerous combination.

I have no desire to quarrel with you. It's just a waste on both ends. Don't you agree?

You know, I see where you're coming from. But the problem is that you seem to think that all ideas deserve the same amount of regard and respect. That some how, Twilight should be taken as seriously as War And Peace or A Tale Of Two Cities.

Some shit is just sophomoric no matter how much people like it. What it seems like you and several others are implying is that Jillian and those with somewhat similar tastes are lacking because they simply can't find it in themselves to like sophomoric shit. It's almost as if you guys that like this book or other "art" like it is in some way asking for validation from those who simply find no joy in. If you like it, you like it. But in no way should it be considered a candidate for the pantheon of high art.

This is the kind of stuff I've been eluding to on this thread myself. For example, I love goth rock. But there's people out there that appeal to my affections by trying to get me to listen to Cradle of Filth. It's just pointless to even attempt that. Essentially for me, just because I might look a little spooky and "goth" is in my vocabulary doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy a metal show somewhere. And why should I? I like my music to be artsy, different, and in some way interesting. The whole dark part comes rather secondary because you know what... dark is easy.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #118
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Alright I'll answer. IT's a rather famous vampire romance novel that's being made into a movie.
Wow, could you possibly write a more informative post?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 AM   #119
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Wow, could you possibly write a more informative post?
I could but I didn't feel like it.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #120
Beneath the Shadows

Then why bother replying in the first place? It's not like the question was aimed at you in particular.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #121
Wednesday Friday Addams

www.google.com
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:08 AM   #122
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Then why bother replying in the first place? It's not like the question was aimed at you in particular.
BECAUSE I FELT LIKE IT
Old 07-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #123
JCC

Side-note: I like Mindless Self Indulgence.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #124
Murasaki eyeliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Side-note: I like Mindless Self Indulgence.
me too.
someone should write a book about them,then at least we'd have something interesting to argue about.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
-Mae West
Murasaki eyeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #125
TurquoiseXx

Godslayer Jillian, thanks for clearing that up for me.

KontanKarite, I couldn't agree with you more. That's pretty much the point I was trying to make in my previous posts but it came out all wrong. Everything has a different level of importance to everyone. That's why I think it's not nice to shun someone because you don't agree with something they like.

That's all. Good day to you guys