Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
TheChosenOne

Exclamation The controversy continues!

Well, As we know Lord Toph is probably the most controversial Goth Artist out there, But not just because of his lyrics, or his sound, But mostly because of his race. Well, when he came out with his music video Mesmerized... all hell broke loose, and the comments came in about how can a black man be a goth musician, and about the fact that his video has a white woman in it, that is "Mesmerized" by this Dark Lord. Well he has Just released a new music video! "LOVE AND SHADOWS" and this video, has got to be the sexiest and the hottest video he has created thus far, and the new topic of controversy as I type this...I am sure, So it will be interesting to see as the weeks pass what fans, and people full of hatred have to say about this one.
Enjoy... as LORD TOPH takes you into the world of desire, sex, design, love, passion, the erotic and more with his latest release, Love and Shadows.

The Video Can be viewed on

You Tube
Myspace
Vampire Freaks
If you support his work, leave a comment, I am sure he would enjoy some words of support!
TheChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
3lackrose

I was wondering why I haven't seen black skin dark peoples... finally notice about someone xD!!
3lackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
PortraitOfSanity

I know this is going to be shocking to you, but it's really obvious this is a self-advertisement. As such, it belongs in the shill forum, where the ads go. If you even bother visiting this thread again, it gets really annoying when people post this kinda stuff thinking it's not obvious you're advertising yourself. I don't mind seeing ads (in the correct forum), I mind seeing ads that are really thinly disguised.

If I were more of an asshole, I'd go out of my way not to listen to this guy's music just because of this.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
3lackrose

I never said it was cool cause this guy has black skin.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

What exactly does that have to do with anything I said?

My last post was directed at the original poster, not you.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
3lackrose

Oh sorry I thought it was meant to me. Cause I commented it.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
TheChosenOne

Thumbs down Can a fan not be a fan even in a forum..? is that not what this is for???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I know this is going to be shocking to you, but it's really obvious this is a self-advertisement. As such, it belongs in the shill forum, where the ads go. If you even bother visiting this thread again, it gets really annoying when people post this kinda stuff thinking it's not obvious you're advertising yourself. I don't mind seeing ads (in the correct forum), I mind seeing ads that are really thinly disguised.

If I were more of an asshole, I'd go out of my way not to listen to this guy's music just because of this.

Just because I am a fan and DISGUSTED with all the BS being said about him, doesn't mean that I am "Advertising" him, I am just amazed with the comments I read on You Tube... Blank TV reposted his "mesmerized" video on you tube, and the comments left on that page with extremely racial, I couldn't believe my eyes, especially in these times, I mean we may even have a black president soon, and a black man gets hassled for being a goth musician?! because he is dating a white celebrity, or whatever?! anyways..I will not deny that I am a fan, but isn't that what we fans do? Post stories that interest us and may interest you as well? isn't that the entire idea about forums and blogging???
If "I" were Lord Toph, I would not be siting in a forum, I am sure.... NO... I am "The Chosen One" as you can read, so please do not mistake me, my thoughts, my enjoyment in life and love....
Music, Gothic Subculture, Love, Change in the world... I am here because I know this is a place that certain things can be discussed without judgment, or at least I hope.

Last edited by TheChosenOne; 08-22-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
3lackrose

These are the first 2 posts you made... at least you could introduce or talk a bit more with the users here before posting this.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
TheChosenOne

oh, so now there is a "newbie" law?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lackrose
These are the first 2 posts you made... at least you could introduce or talk a bit more with the users here before posting this.
Please! I have every right to post a thread new or not! I JUST became registered to post here, and still new to Gothic Net just because I am new, doesn't mean I cannot post a story I am passionate about!!!!
That is the entire reason that most people get started in a forum or blogging site! They have an interest, a passion, an idea, a view, and feel the need to share it with others!

My life is led on passion, on love, and life views, the life of the standard living VS those who are "different"

That is what brought me here, and that is how I shall live my life, I hope that you can appreciate that in me, and if not... Then I guess your just another opinion. I run and live my own life the way I live, the way I choose, the way I want, and I refuse to alter my state of being to better fit your idea of life and etiquette, I am not a rude or offensive person, like I said.. I am passionate, I am true, and real to myself.

and if you think that I should behave or ACT a certain way because of others ideas or expectations, you are wasting your time trying to convince me of that style of living.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Yeah I'm a bit curious as to who the hell this guy is and what controversy there is over him? What is this BS that is being said about him?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
All I can see from your post is that "people" are supposedly making a big deal over a black goth musician. I looked up his myspace page and listened to a bit of his music and it doesn't sound like he has his genres right, a bit like Manson(not goth) and something I can't imagine at this ungodly hour. Frankly I found it a tad bit irritating. But his race has nothing to do with those problems. I think it's his guitar usage that is the problem, bleh I'm not going to delve that deeply into it, I'm too damn tired.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #12
TheChosenOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
All I can see from your post is that "people" are supposedly making a big deal over a black goth musician. I looked up his myspace page and listened to a bit of his music and it doesn't sound like he has his genres right, a bit like Manson(not goth) and something I can't imagine at this ungodly hour. Frankly I found it a tad bit irritating. But his race has nothing to do with those problems. I think it's his guitar usage that is the problem, bleh I'm not going to delve that deeply into it, I'm too damn tired.
The controversy so not so much in his myspace page, mostly you would see it if you goggled him, and a lot has to do with his "mesmerized" music video that BlankTV copied and posted on youtube and the comments there as well, who speak mostly of his race and his choice genre of music. also I even found hatred on some stupid website called whitewomanblackmen
anyways...
Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
PortraitOfSanity

It's funny how you read peoples' posts and come up with a summary that has nothing to do with what people are actually saying.

It's really quite entertaining as I sit here half asleep and just waking up.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
Raptor

That Mesmerized song and the video are awful.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #15
PortraitOfSanity

He reminds me of Prince, but a Prince who's trying to be goth. It's kinda pathetic really.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
viscus

If he's so controversial, then how come I don't know who the fuck he is?

That was a lot of bullshit you posted.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #17
BLEED REBELION!!!

I just watched the video for Mesmerized... I laughed my ass off.. the song sucks major ass....

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
I am not a rude or offensive person

and if you think that I should behave or ACT a certain way because of others ideas or expectations, you are wasting your time trying to convince me of that style of living.
Those two statements nullify each other. You claim not to be a rude person, yet you blatantly refuse to introduce yourself after being asked to. In almost every type of company I've ever kept, it is deemed rather rude to start blathering loudly without first introducing oneself. It's also kind of rude to basically tell people to fuck off you'll do what you want regardless of "what they think". You, sir or madam, are an idiot. Please be off now.

By the way, I listened to mesmerized, and I must say that it sucked worse than a two dollar whore.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Please! I have every right to post a thread new or not! I JUST became registered to post here, and still new to Gothic Net just because I am new, doesn't mean I cannot post a story I am passionate about!!!!
That is the entire reason that most people get started in a forum or blogging site! They have an interest, a passion, an idea, a view, and feel the need to share it with others!

My life is led on passion, on love, and life views, the life of the standard living VS those who are "different"

That is what brought me here, and that is how I shall live my life, I hope that you can appreciate that in me, and if not... Then I guess your just another opinion. I run and live my own life the way I live, the way I choose, the way I want, and I refuse to alter my state of being to better fit your idea of life and etiquette, I am not a rude or offensive person, like I said.. I am passionate, I am true, and real to myself.

Dude, you are over reacting. All that was said was for you to go to the Introduction Forum and introduce yourself like the rest of have, the Forum Guidelines are plain and clear, but if you decide to disrespect the guidelines that this community has established for this site then no wonder no one here respects you.

It is really quite simple:

a) go here and copy the questions:
https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1644

b) then in the Introduction Forum click on "new thread" and paste the questions there with your answers. That's all. No one is saying you can't be an individual.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #20
Bete Noire

Ah that sounds like Manson with a couple of the songs of the Queen of the Damned soundtrack. Also, there appears to be a distinct lack of controversy. And talent.

Oh dear.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
Draconysius

Lord Toph is not goth. As others have said, he seems to be imitating both Manson and the Queen of the Damned soundtrack. Keep reaching for the stars.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
Splintered

Quote:
Well, As we know Lord Toph is probably the most controversial Goth Artist out there,
SHIT! I thought it was manson.

Quote:
But not just because of his lyrics, or his sound, But mostly because of his race.
God damn those fucking racists Goths! I mean, first it was the Dark KKK, then the riots in Chicago, now this...

Oh wait.

Quote:
Well, when he came out with his music video Mesmerized... all hell broke loose, and the comments came in about how can a black man be a goth musician, and about the fact that his video has a white woman in it, that is "Mesmerized" by this Dark Lord. Well he has Just released a new music video! "LOVE AND SHADOWS" and this video, has got to be the sexiest and the hottest video he has created thus far, and the new topic of controversy as I type this...I am sure, So it will be interesting to see as the weeks pass what fans, and people full of hatred have to say about this one.
YES!
GREAT!
LET'S TURN ANYTHING DARK IN TO RAP!
LET'S GET THE GOTH CHICKS WITH THE BOOTY SHORTS!
BRILLIANT!

Quote:
Enjoy... as LORD TOPH takes you into the world of desire, sex, design, love, passion, the erotic and more with his latest release, Love and Shadows.
Okay, you've got to be kidding me. This is stereotypical advertisement. No one in normal speech capitalizes names except ADVERTISERS. See, ADVERTISERS think it's a revolutionary way to people recognize their ADVERTISEMENTS, and gain people's attention. So the ADVERTISERS capitalize the name of the ADVERTISEE so they can gain more attention because we all look at BIG BOLD TEXT. Well good job ADVERTISERS, we don't really care.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

Too amateurish.
The 'controversy' thing is bullshit, but even forgetting that, the song 'mesmerized' is fucking amateur.
All through it I had a feeling of waiting for it to begin. Then I said "that's it?"
I don't have a lot of musical talent and yet I could immediately see so many things that could have been improved, and it baffles me that a musician would just let them stay like that.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #24
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
All through it I had a feeling of waiting for it to begin.
Really? All through it I had a feeling of waiting for it to END.

Not sure which is worse though.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #25
Unimatrix 00

I looked up this guy and the video. I was waiting for it to get good, but it didn't. Also, I could find hardly anything about him and his "controversy" online. Its a bit stupid anyway to start slabbering on about controversy because he's black.
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote