Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #26
Joker_in_the_Pack

As I recall he is good friends with most of the high ranking Saudi officials.

Jillian, you made a fantastic point. I guess the other reason we believe Bush to be a puppet is we do not believe he's that clever to be that sick and twisted. Dick Cheney yes, he's very smart and a total fuckhead.

The bottom line in this election is the same as it was between Bush and Kerry, and Lewis Black described it perfectly. "When you (go) into that voting booth, you (have) the choice between two bowls of shit. The only difference is the smell."
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #27
CptSternn

This is obvious McCain bashing, but hey, its all true...

http://www.democrats.com/mccain-owes...lzheimers-test

While Ted Kennedy and ******** Obama were rocking the Democratic convention in Denver, John McCain made his 13th appearance with Jay Leno to joke about his age. McCain joked, "You forgot to mention that I warned the people about the British coming," and added, "my Social Security number is eight."

McCain has repeatedly tried to dismiss concerns about his age with late-night jokes. On Saturday Night Live, he quipped: "What should we be looking for in our next president? Certainly someone who is very, very, very old."

But McCain's age is no joke. He will turn 72 on Friday and would be halfway to 73 if elected and sworn in on January 20. That would make him the oldest first-term President ever, two years older than Ronald Reagan. He has survived four skin cancers (melanomas), including one in 2000 that was classified as Stage IIa.

McCain is two years older than his father was when he died suddenly of a heart attack at 70. He is 11 years older than his grandfather was when he died suddenly of a heart attack at age 61.

The United States cannot afford the risk that McCain would die suddenly in the middle of an international crisis.

Nor can we afford the risk of dementia. 22% of Americans over 70 are affected by mild cognitive impairment, while 13% of Americans over 65 have Alzheimer's. Ronald Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 83, but early signs were evident during his first term. Britain's "Iron Lady" Margaret Thatcher developed dementia at age 75.

Prescriptions can also adversely affect mental function. McCain takes Simvastatin, an arthritis drug that can cause memory loss. McCain also takes Ambien to sleep, which can cause amnesia and "fugue states" like the one that caused Rep. Patrick Kennedy's late-night car crash. If the phone rang at 3 a.m., would McCain even wake up?

McCain's medical records are not available to physicians. He did not "release" them for the campaign; he only allowed hand-picked reporters to examine them quickly without making copies. And there were no results of an Alzheimer's test, because McCain has never had one - even though he has 6 of the 10 warning signs, including his inability to remember facts like the number of homes he owns or the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003.

John McCain owes America a thorough test for Alzheimer's and cognitive impairment long before Election Day.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #28
Vlad

I would rather have McCain.Obama is a joke.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #29
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
That's some lovely, educated and political reasoning there!

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #30
CptSternn

This is classic... (*note the cartoon as well)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8...982/458/578225
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
At least jokes are funny. McCain is depressing.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:32 AM   #32
Catch

McCain announced his running mate. Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin. Yep, she has been governor a whole two years. Apparently they are balancing out the tickets, Obama has only served one term in the Senate. Maybe they will get some fresh new faces from highschools to fill the cabinets.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #33
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Obama will win the same way Bill Clinton did: disenfranchised Republicans are switching sides and will vote for change.

I like Sarah Palin, but I cannot stomach the idea of four long more years of the oil companies running the country. I am voting for Obama because a 17 month old toddler CANNOT EVEN GET AN APPOINTMENT TO BE SEEN WITHOUT INSURANCE.

In other words, private charity (pushed as the answer to the disadvantaged by Republicans) still leaves disadvantaged children behind. A NATION WIDE plan is the only way to cover EVERYONE.
I don't want to pay more taxes, I earn over $125,000 year and see but only half of it. But at what point does one decide to stop caring about children? At what point does one's personal wealth matter more than people? We as Americans have a MORAL OBLIGATION to place people ahead of profits!

Canada and Australia have better health plans that the United States. They are not perfect, but everyone has a safety net. If a small law firm can afford to provide partners with health care, certainly Taco Bell with billions in profits can afford health care for their workers too!

Enough of the Republican "You're on your own" health care, enough children and people enduring curable illness and dying needlessly on our own front porch while wealthy corporations run rampant in the lobby halls of OUR government!

ENOUGH!!!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #34
Deadmanwalking_05

I don't really see how things would get better with either choice,so I'm not going out to vote,instead I'm going to stay home and watch from the sidelines.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #35
Saya

I remember arguing with an American about healthcare, are stitches really $300? Christ, I wouldn't be able to afford falling down.

Honestly I don't have a whole lot of faith in the American voter, I have a bad feeling McCain will be winning.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
TheBloodEternity

I had to get two stitches on my pinkie for a rather small cut, and it was $300 dollars, but I went to a clinic and have insurance so only paid $30.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 AM   #37
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
I remember arguing with an American about healthcare, are stitches really $300? Christ, I wouldn't be able to afford falling down.

Honestly I don't have a whole lot of faith in the American voter, I have a bad feeling McCain will be winning.
Depending on where you are in America it could be more. More importantly, like HP said, without insurance many hospitals won't even see you to do the work, meaning it doesn't mean if you can cover the $300 or not, no doctor will talk to you without insurance, and right now almost 30% of Americans don't have any.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 AM   #38
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya

Stitches in Canada are $300 too. (I'm not making this up either. I received a 3 centimeter puncture wound to my right hand from a metal bar, which required six stitches. My bill was $347, which wasn't covered, even though I'm a full Canadian citizen.)
Old 08-31-2008, 02:30 AM   #39
Saya

Seriously? My brother needed stitches, no charge when I brought him in for it.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:53 AM   #40
Splintered

Very seriously. It's not like I'm just a passing resident either: I'm a full, by birth, Canadian citizen, was a legal minor during the time of the incident, and my guardian has been a resident of the area for 8 years.

Yet, they tacked on a $347 bill. It wasn't anything fancy either: Local anesthetic and six stitches.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:00 AM   #41
Saya

What province are you in? Its probably not covered by your provincial government. I double checked and we have it covered here in NL.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #42
Splintered

I'm in Alberta right now.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I was covered at all for my tonsil surgery in Montreal, Quebec. I'll have to go check my medical records when I get back to them, though, because that was 10 or 11 years ago.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #43
Saya

That shouldn't be, surgery is covered in all provinces unless its cosmetic or you didn't have a valid health card, but even then you can get reimbersed when you have a valid card. I looked it up about the policy on stitches, in Newfoundland it doesn't matter but in some other provinces a doctor can charge you for the drugs he administers in his office. Still, I'm surprised, Alberta's supposed to be the richest province and they won't give you free stitches. But if it gets infected and you need to go to the hospital, THEN its free *facepalm*.

Anywho, back to the election, apparently Palin's mother in law might not even vote Republican: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...ain_about.html
Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #44
Saya

Argh, so apparently Palin, the uber pro-lifer who thinks abortion is wrong, even if the woman's life is at stake, and that sex ed should only be allowed if abstinence is the only contraception talked about, got flack lately because of the birth of her fifth child. Basically what she said happened was her water broke before she was to give a speech in Dallas, she gives the speech anyway, and waits thirteen HOURS before going to a hospital......the reason why it took so long is because she flew back to Alaska to have the baby! So, either she was recklessly endangering the baby, she was 44 at the time, 7 months pregnant and the baby has Downs syndrome, so you'd think a hospital would be more of a priority for her. So the rumour was that she was not in fact, pregnant, but she was covering for her daughter, 17 year old Bristol.

So she announced today that Bristol didn't have the baby, but she is pregnant right now. http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archi...1/1318541.aspx

Bristol is 17, planning on keeping the baby and will marry the father....it just boggles me that the ultra conservative mother who objects sex ed claims she has no problem with this, and apparently the religious right is praising Bristol for keeping the baby and getting married. Something about that just boggles me.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 AM   #45
Opteron_Man

I heard that Bush sent some American Special Forces to Georgia.
I also hear from someone in New Mexico that McCain is a piece of shit.
Obama would step in and fix many things.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #46
CptSternn

I am going to post links to these articles in the NEWS section, but here are the top articles today...

First, Palin's daughter is 17 and all pregnant. Shes 5 months along but just turned 17 so she got knocked up when she was 16 really.

That being said, McCain has said its a good thing and supports her and her pregnant daughter.

...but then if he is so supportive why did McCain fight to keep sex ed and condoms out of school AND fought to keep teen mothers from getting government assistance?

http://tinyurl.com/6foxf2

Then there is the other scandals associated with her. First, you have the fact McCain claimed to have 'thoroughly' researched her before choosing her. Turns out, he met her once a year ago and even the FBI now admits they didn't even do the standard background check which is required until AFTER he picked her. Also, turns out McCain sent 20 of his own research team to Alaska AFTER he picked her.

This might explain why all these other damaging stories are now coming out, like:

1. She was a former member of the Alaskan Separatist Party. Thats right - she was until recently a member of a political whose whole party was based on Alaska leaving the US and becoming a seperate nation itself. Some members even advocate taking up arms against America to achieve this goal. Read more and see the vids here:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9...477/878/581881

Then there is another scandal - the one involving her firing a public official who refuse to fire her former brother in law after he divorced her sister. They have hired an external investigator and she is being investigated formerly for abuse of power.

3. Then there is the whole Ted Stevens issue. Ted Stevens was just indicted for taking money from oil companies among other things. She was one of the head chairs on his PAC, which dealt with said oil companies. Either she is dumb as a rock, or she was directly involved. Either way it looks like she may be next on the chopping block of Federal investigators on this matter.

http://tinyurl.com/5jqq99

...and thats just what the media has found in the past couple of days. Who knows what they will dig up in the coming weeks?

I mean, seriously, she is currently being formally investigated by state and Federal authorities for some serious charges. She may not be experienced as a leader, but when it comes to being a criminal, she looks to have a good background in that.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #47
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I heard that Bush sent some American Special Forces to Georgia.
I also hear from someone in New Mexico that McCain is a piece of shit.
Both true.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #48
Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
To be honest, I don't think McCain has a chance. Unless America is really rather more racist than I thought.

McCain reminds me of Ming Campbell. Two old and shitty politicians which are never publicised enough.
Groundbreaking.LOL
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #49
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
She may not be experienced as a leader, but when it comes to being a criminal, she looks to have a good background in that.
WAIT! Are you saying there's a difference between being a political leader and a criminal?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #50
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
WAIT! Are you saying there's a difference between being a political leader and a criminal?
Criminals get caught. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote