Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
gothicusmaximus

Attention Bukowski Enthusiasts

If you are an educated individual of an age between 17 and 27, and you enjoy the poetry of Charles Bukowski, that you inform me of the latter fact is not necessary. I already know. If, however, you are an educated individual of an age between 17 and 27, and you do not enjoy the poetry of Charles Bukowski, this is actually surprising, interesting, and deserving of notation and discussion.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
JCC

Charles Bukowski was the greatest writer of the 20th century.

Das truth!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Charles Bukowski was the greatest writer of the 20th century.

Das truth!
I like Bukowski as much as the next educated individual of an age between 17 and 27, but I respectfully disagree with this outrageously bold assertion.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
raggedyanne

He's at least in the top ten!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Joker_in_the_Pack

I do not enjoy his works. I've never heard of him. Then again I'm not between 17 and 27.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
I do not enjoy his works. I've never heard of him. Then again I'm not between 17 and 27.

NEVER?
I read only a few pages of anything he's done, but I knew who he was long before that.
And he gets mentioned a lot on this forum.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
TheBloodEternity

I love Bukowski! I had heard of him some time around last year, but only because this guy I know was trying to get me into him just because of Chiodo's "Bone Palace Ballet," so I was immediately uninterested in reading any of his works. But, I was perusing through the poetry section during my last Border's run and looked at some of his stuff and decided to buy something. He's great.

Not between the ages of 17 and 27 though.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
He's at least in the top ten!
That's a hard case to make, but show me the rest of your list and maybe I'll buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem

And he gets mentioned a lot on this forum.
Because this forum is full of educated people of ages between 17 and 27, who. for some reason, think their fondness for Bukowski is noteworthy and not a given.

Relatedly, undergraduate film students should recognize that an appreciation for the films of Quentin Tarantino is similarly less than interesting.

Quote:
How old are you, if you don't mind?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Saya

I don't like him at all. Its just not something I can get into. Plus I associate it with a girl who tried to use his poetry as a reflection on her life and specifically her relationship with me. Her idolization of him drove me insane. So I might be a little biased here.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I like Bukowski as much as the next educated individual of an age between 17 and 27, but I respectfully disagree with this outrageously bold assertion.
I was exaggerating, I'm on a Bukowski kick.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
A Simple Poet

Hell, I didn't know that you had to be between 17 and 27 to appreciate the genius of old "Hank", quite possibly the best writer in the late 20th century. I dig Bukowski ... but I'm already in my 3rd decade.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple Poet
Hell, I didn't know that you had to be between 17 and 27 to appreciate the genius of old "Hank", quite possibly the best writer in the late 20th century. I dig Bukowski ... but I'm already in my 3rd decade.
My statement wasn't that one must be of an age between 17 and 27 in order to appreciate Bukowski, merely that so substantial a majority of that demographic does that, whenever I encounter an individual entailed by it, I assume him or her to be a fan of the poet, so their informing me of this is unnecessary.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
This is one of the more important reasons I love Gnet: I learn so much.

I never heard of him until I read this thread. So I read some of his online poetry
( http://www.poemhunter.com/charles-bukowski/ )
and was saddened, amused, and made to think.

I love the way his contrasts belittle the accomplishments of mankind, as in 16-bit Intel 8088 chip and Another Day, comparing nature to technology. And I can relate to his experience with his cat and eventual death from leukemia.

Thanks GM.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #14
JCC

www.bukowski.net

Check out the poems there, and then move on and read the manuscripts. Definitely worth it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #15
A Simple Poet

One of my favorite reads authored by Bukowski is Post Office insofar that I always knew that the U.S. Postal Service works like he describes it.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Fatbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
This is one of the more important reasons I love Gnet: I learn so much.

I never heard of him until I read this thread. So I read some of his online poetry
( http://www.poemhunter.com/charles-bukowski/ )
and was saddened, amused, and made to think.

I love the way his contrasts belittle the accomplishments of mankind, as in 16-bit Intel 8088 chip and Another Day, comparing nature to technology. And I can relate to his experience with his cat and eventual death from leukemia.

Thanks GM.
I had not heard of him until this post either. Some slip thorugh our grasp. Thanks.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
Apathy's_Child

The short stories pwn the novels and poetry.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
The short stories pwn the novels and poetry.
I definitely have to agree with this, I'm reading a collection of his short stories and it's awesome. Paedophilia, necrophilia, and being changed over time into a six inch tall human dildo. Sweet.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I definitely have to agree with this, I'm reading a collection of his short stories and it's awesome. Paedophilia, necrophilia, and being changed over time into a six inch tall human dildo. Sweet.
Same material, but more focus than the novels and less imperfections than the poetry.

That's one of my favorites (the dildo one).

Old 09-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #20
JCC

One of the only things that I don't like about Bukowski is his rampant misogyny. Despite it birthing that wonderful story about the belittlement of man into a sex object by women, it pisses me off especially in his letters. I don't know what it is that made him quite so staunchly chauvinistic.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
Apathy's_Child

It's just part of his image. He took all the traits of stereotypical manliness (hard drinking, hard fucking, and hard fighting) and managed to make them into great reading, even after you come to realize it's mostly bullshit. The truth is he wasn't much of a fighter, and the women didn't come a-knockin' until he was into his fifties, as you probably know.

I don't really mind it, I just get my PC elsewhere. Truth is you can't complain that the work of an anti-hero is morally flawed. It's just part of the deal.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #22
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
How old are you, if you don't mind?
Thirty one, actually.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote