Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
The Antichrist

Any Metallica fans

Are there any metallica fans on here beside me.If so have you herd some of there new songs.
The Antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Beowulf

Cool Bang that head that doesnt bang !!!. :D

I`m a long time Metallica fan, but I havent yet heard the new stuff (hoping it will be a vast improvement over the lamentable `St Anger`). My favourite material is from the first four albums, and the first song I heard from this brilliant band was `Creeping Death` and that was a long time ago !!!.

Hopefully `Death Magnetic` should be a return to form for Metallica, and lets see what producer Rick Rubin has contributed production wise to this new album (after all he did produce Slayers `Reign In Blood` which was considered and still is the best thrash metal album ever) !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
The Antichrist

Dude metallica is back.Go to youtube and type in the day that never comes and cyinite.I have all the metallica cds from kill em all to st.anger.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

Their new song is complete garbage. The only good Metallica albums were Justice for all, and Master of Puppets, and maybe Ride the Lightning.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Raptor

Ride the Lightning was one of the first albums I bought, still like it.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...tor/oanbky.jpg
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Blackbird

The only one I like is called Sandman or something.
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Saya

Enter Sandman.

Me and my droogs have an ongoing joke about how the new album can just be sound bytes of James Hetfield farting into a microphone and it'll still be better than St.Anger.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Despanan

Metallica was my favorite band for like...10 or 12 years. I've moved on since then, but I still enjoy their work on occasion. I'm looking forward to the new Album.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

They blow. They're so generic and now they're making such bad music that they're destroying their unearned reputation.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
JCC

I've heard that the new album in its entirety is just good. Like the Black Album mixed with Load's better points. That still just makes it a good album though rather than bloody good, I'm not sure I'll bother listening.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Pantherlette086

I am. I haven't listened to their new stuff yet.
Pantherlette086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
onedarkly1

I prefer their older work-Master, Justice, Lightining, and the Black album (this on is arguable).

I heard the track on the radio, but didn't care for it. I hope the rest of the album is better, but will not rush to buy it.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
dabbadmc

I heard two new songs on their website and I think they're really good. Much better than the St. Anger stuff.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Necrophagist

Metallica = Slipknot

Both are over - rated, and both suck.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Metallica = Slipknot

Both are over - rated, and both suck.
Using that logic:

Metallica= Miley Cyrus

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #16
Duane

Metallica... needs more Cliff Burton... since he passed on, and may he rest well, Metallica lost most of their awesomeness.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Metallica... needs more Cliff Burton... since he passed on, and may he rest well, Metallica lost most of their awesomeness.
Thats an interesting thought Duane, because it was Cliff Burton that had the most musical knowledge, as he was classically trained and had a lot of theory training and passed on his knowledge of harmony theory, and orchestration and arrangement to the other members.

I think the instrumentals `Call Of Kthulu` and `Orion` show Cliff Burtons song writing prowess and how he understood the mechanics of music, are clear examples of this !!!.

Cliff was a huge part of the band equation, and when he passed on, the band had not only lost a band member but a best friend and a mentor !!!.

I`am a huge fan of Cliff Burton and his unique and groundbreaking playing style (Cliff was influenced by Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Lemmy, and Geezer Butler) inspired me to pick up the Bass guitar when I was younger !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Necrophagist

Sadly the guy got run over by his own tour bus.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
JCC

The first three albums are definitely their best, and Justice... and The Black Album are just okay, and even the first three haven't aged well.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #20
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Sadly the guy got run over by his own tour bus.
No, he was in it as was his bandmates. The bus rolled in some city in sweden. 1986, while they were touring to promote the Master of Puppets CD.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #21
Destituxe

The band drew cards to see who would get the most comfortable bunk in the bus. Cliff won with an Ace of Spades. He was asleep when the bus skidded on a patch of black ice and flipped onto a patch of grass in Ljungby Municipality in Sweden. Cliff was thrown from the bus, which then landed on him, killing him. This occured on September 27. 1986, nearly 22 years ago.
Cliff was the greatest musician of the modern age. His influence on Metallica shows in their best albums, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Though he played the bass, he was trained in classical music, and took up the bass after his brother died when he was 13.
Cliff wrote "When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation carry me home,"; The last line is inscribed on his tombstone.
My older brother has a great love for Metallica, and introduced me, through Metallica, to Metal, Rock, Music period.
Slipknot is very overated, yes. But to even compare them to Metallica is beyond my comprehension. The two bands are on different levels. Metallica has earned its reputation, though it has not been nearly as good since Cliff left.
So, no, Cliff did not get run over by his own tour bus.
Destituxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #22
PortraitOfSanity

Cliff Burton, the greatest musician of the modern age? That's quite an exaggeration.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #23
Duane

I knew it was black ice.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
The Antichrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destituxe
The band drew cards to see who would get the most comfortable bunk in the bus. Cliff won with an Ace of Spades. He was asleep when the bus skidded on a patch of black ice and flipped onto a patch of grass in Ljungby Municipality in Sweden. Cliff was thrown from the bus, which then landed on him, killing him. This occured on September 27. 1986, nearly 22 years ago.
Cliff was the greatest musician of the modern age. His influence on Metallica shows in their best albums, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Though he played the bass, he was trained in classical music, and took up the bass after his brother died when he was 13.
Cliff wrote "When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation carry me home,"; The last line is inscribed on his tombstone.
My older brother has a great love for Metallica, and introduced me, through Metallica, to Metal, Rock, Music period.
Slipknot is very overated, yes. But to even compare them to Metallica is beyond my comprehension. The two bands are on different levels. Metallica has earned its reputation, though it has not been nearly as good since Cliff left.
So, no, Cliff did not get run over by his own tour bus.
Damn you beat me to it.Yes since cliff died they started getting worse and st anger is there lowest.This new cd brought them back to an "an justice for all" level.They will never be as good as they use to be with cliff.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
Metabolik

To be honest I've always preferred Slayer and Iron Maiden