Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #51
onedarkly1

I picked up the New Metallica CD yesterday and gave it a listen on my long drive to the Law School, this afternoon. I didn't care for it at all, not one song.

While the music is good, much closer to their older stuff, the lyrics and vocals are terrible. They should have stopped unforgiven at 2, the third does not do them justice.

I wish I had thrown my ten dollars and change out the window of my car (sarcasam people) while driving up here instead.

Seriously, if you didn't buy it yet,and are thinking about it, save your money.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #52
Tam Li Hua

The fiance has the new CD, and I think it rocks really really hard.

onedarkly: Nothing will be as good as their old stuff, but at least it's better than their most recent attempts at music. [I. E., I recognize it as Metallica and not as Korn or Slipknot, neither of whom I can fully appreciate. :-/ ]
Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #53
The Antichrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Their music just makes me want to hit my head repeatedly on various surfaces.
When you do that make damn sure you get a vid.
The Antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #54
The Antichrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedarkly1
They should have stopped unforgiven at 2, the third does not do them justice.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #55
onedarkly1

Tam Li Hua:

I totally agree with you that nothing Metallica puts out in the future will probably be as good as their old stuff. I honestly didn’t care for their new CD, if you did, awesome. To each their own.

Metallica was my favorite band for a long time. I am honestly just sad that the quality of their musical offerings has declined.

I haven’t heard the new Slipnot so I can’t speak to that.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #56
Joker_in_the_Pack

You know, I listen to All Hope Is Gone, the newest album by Slipknot, and I listen to the new Metallica album, and I hear people say Metallica is the best metal band and Slipknot is not metal and I wonder WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU BASING THIS OFF OF?

The guitar work in Slipknot's new album is faster, more intricate, and heavier sounding than Metallica's new album. The drumming in the new Slipknot album blows Metallica's drumming OUT OF THE FUCKING WATER. Even moreso than that, the VOCALS in Slipknot's new album sound far more like metal vocals than Metallica, who just sounds like he's talking with a sore throat.

HOW THE FUCK IS SLIPKNOT NOT CONSIDERED METAL?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #57
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
I haven't listened to the new Slipknot album, but I have listened to some of their stuff.

Basically, I think when folks think 'metal', they think old school metal: Metallica, ACDC, etc. The kind of metal Slipknot puts out is a bit different than these older bands, and it's what the fiance likes to call Nu Metal. So, it's not so much that it isn't metal as much as it is a different kind than what most folks would think of, I think.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #58
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedarkly1
Tam Li Hua:

I totally agree with you that nothing Metallica puts out in the future will probably be as good as their old stuff. I honestly didn’t care for their new CD, if you did, awesome. To each their own.

Metallica was my favorite band for a long time. I am honestly just sad that the quality of their musical offerings has declined.
Yeah, I can see that. My Beloved has all the Metallica albums on his computer; I think I may ask him for the older stuff to listen to while I'm at work.

[I will admit that, while I like the sound on the new album, the lyrics seem to be a little....lacking.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #59
Beowulf

Cool

Today I played my `Whiplash` single (12" neckbrace re-mix which sounds awesome ) and I couldnt believe how heavy and alive Metallicas early stuff sounds on vinyl, and how you can feel the music alot more than CD !!!.

I think I`m going to dust off my `Kill `Em All` picture disk and blast it on my stereo !!!.

I was wondering if anyone else collects and plays Vinyl (or collects memorabilia) of their favourite bands ?
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #60
The Antichrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
You know, I listen to All Hope Is Gone, the newest album by Slipknot, and I listen to the new Metallica album, and I hear people say Metallica is the best metal band and Slipknot is not metal and I wonder WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU BASING THIS OFF OF?

The guitar work in Slipknot's new album is faster, more intricate, and heavier sounding than Metallica's new album. The drumming in the new Slipknot album blows Metallica's drumming OUT OF THE FUCKING WATER. Even moreso than that, the VOCALS in Slipknot's new album sound far more like metal vocals than Metallica, who just sounds like he's talking with a sore throat.

I never considered slipknot as metal.Slipknot is on a hole another level than metallica.
The Antichrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #61
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I haven't listened to the new Slipknot album, but I have listened to some of their stuff.

Basically, I think when folks think 'metal', they think old school metal: Metallica, ACDC, etc. The kind of metal Slipknot puts out is a bit different than these older bands, and it's what the fiance likes to call Nu Metal. So, it's not so much that it isn't metal as much as it is a different kind than what most folks would think of, I think.
AC/DC IS NOT METAL BY ANY DEFINITION! They're barely hard rock.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #62
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

Tam I like you and all, but you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to metal... Sorry.

I really don't like Slipknot, I personally think they're terrible actually, but they're definitely metal. Nu Metal is a subgenre of Metal, so to say that they're they're not Metal because they don't sound like Metallica is ridiculous. Metallica is Thrash, which is a completely unrelated subgenre. AC/DC on the other hand, I dunno where you picked up the idea that they were metal.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #63
Subphonic

I still love '...Justice...' the new album is better than St Anger, but then again, so are most noises. I could drive to it or whatever but it's not real listening music.

...AC/DC?! never been metal! Hard Rock at best, a bit of the old Judas Preist maybe, cheesy as it is, but not AC/DC (don't think they ever even claimed to be metal?)
Subphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #64
JCC

Metallica are a steaming bag of shit, and the fact that the only real praise I've heard for this album is that it's better than St. Anger reinforces that people desperately want something vivose out of a dead horse. It's not happening, fellas.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #65
Subphonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
the fact that the only real praise I've heard for this album is that it's better than St. Anger reinforces that people desperately want something vivose out of a dead horse. It's not happening, fellas.
That I have to agree with, Hetfield's voice is shot and the Bass players have gone from Legend-to-Great-to-good-to-hmm...in my opinion, I think the best is long gone but I disagree with the 'steaming pile' comment, I think that comes down to personal taste, but granted, they'll never be as good as they were.

EDIT: I doubled 'That'd' because I'm drunk.
Subphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #66
Draconysius

Metallica are giving the fans exactly what they ask for every time. That my friends, is a sellout. As for Slipknot, a lot of people refuse to call them metal because all the mall kiddies love them. It's the same with Cradle of Milf.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #67
Despanan

Picked up "Death Magnetic" the other day. Honestly I'm pretty impressed with it. The lyrics aren't great, but musically the album is masterwork. Say what you like about the band, but those guys know their shit when it comes to their instruments.

I find "My Apocalypse" really reminds me of some of their earlier work, particularly the Master of Puppets album. "Unforgiven 3" surprised me though, as much as I like the idea of a song "trilogy" It seems musically out of place from the first two.

All in all, I'll give the album a strong four out of five. They really aren't breaking any new ground, but they are doing what they do best, and it freaking rocks.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #68
Mir

I really dug the new album as well. Nothing new or ground breaking here, but, just some really solid tunes. James Hetfield is the best rhythm player in the world.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #69
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
James Hetfield is the best rhythm player in the world.
*facepalm*
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #70
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
James Hetfield is the best rhythm player in the world.
I wouldn't go that far, though once again Those guys are freaking masters of their instruments.

It's honestly refreshing to hear a metal band that knows how to play. So much of the so-called 'metal' that's come out in recent years is just a bunch of idiots messing around with power chords and screaming into the mic.

It used to be that people chose to play punk because they couldn't play anything else, but from what I've been hearing lately that's worked it's way into metal.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #71
PortraitOfSanity

Don't listen to the mainstream crap then, come underground.

Come to the dark side! We have cookies!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #72
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
I wouldn't go that far, though once again Those guys are freaking masters of their instruments.
How about Top 5? By the by, he gets extra marks for playing and singing at the same time.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #73
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
How about Top 5? By the by, he gets extra marks for playing and singing at the same time.
Mir,

I agree with with you.

James Hetfield is one of best, if not the best rythm guitar player in the genre, due to his powerful and dynamic riffing, a good example of his iconic playing style is the instrumental `Orion` from the `Master Of Puppets` album !!!.

His early sound came from a Gibson Flying V and a 1984 Gibson Explorer (with EMG 81 pickups) played through a modified Marshall amp (JCM 800 ?). later it was custom built ESP explorers (which had a thinner neck profile than the Gibsons) using Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier amps !!!.

James Hetfields playing was and still is very inspirational and influencial to many other bands, and certainly inspired me when I was a teenager to pick up the guitar and write my own songs !!!.

Mir, you said on another thread you played an SG and I was wondering what model it was (I love guitars) ?
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote