Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Sodaspes

Scientology

What are your views on Scientology? Please post your opinions on Scientology here. Is it evil or cheesy? Does it help peope better their lives? Please post your comments.
Sodaspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Joker_in_the_Pack

It's a religion. It's incredibly stupid and from what I hear (no reliable facts about it) it was made as a bet with Issac Asimov. Either way, it's a religion started by a Science Fiction writer and it, as a whole, is under investigation by the FBI for several hundred murders among other things. I put Scientologists and devoutly Christian/Jewish/Muslim/otherreligion in the same catagory: People I don't want to talk to.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
jack_the_knife

I had a nasty encounter with them once, they have a headquarter sort of center here, I walked past once and they took photos of me, because I was walking past, so I asked them to stop and they wouldn't , so I smashed the blokes camera on the pavement, which he wasn't too happy about.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
dead_dreams

South Park did a parody of Scientology
dead_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Joker_in_the_Pack

We know. South Park parodies everything they think of, that show simply refuses to die.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
LiUsAiDh

You have to pay to be a scientologist, don't you? Really shows the right objectives behind the religion, doesn't it.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Saya

A lot of people waste thousands and thousands of dollars on "classes", yes.

That and them endangering lives by withholding medicine, alienating members from their families, harassing anyone who criticizes them, and suing anyone who adapts similar beliefs, leads me to believe that they are a cult.

And I'm sorry, I'm usually the first to say "respect other beliefs", and I know if you word them right a lot of beliefs sound pretty ridiculous, but why believe in a story aout aliens and thetans possessing us and Emperor Xenu when you KNOW it was made up by Hubbard fifty odd years ago?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodaspes
What are your views on Scientology? Please post your opinions on Scientology here. Is it evil or cheesy? Does it help peope better their lives? Please post your comments.
And what are your comments , Sodaspes?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Sodaspes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
And what are your comments , Sodaspes?
Well the scary thing about it is that L. Ron Hubbard was born on the same day of the month as I was. March 13. I think scientology is good for some people. Better then psychiatry and pschology. I think L. Ron Hubbard rights good science fiction. I read some of his stories and he has a lot cool sexy characters in them. Scientology is nothing really new like beliefs in reincarnation, astral projection, and stuff like that. It's like buddhism. Being at one with the univers.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Either way, it's a religion started by a Science Fiction writer
+ knowledge of hypnosis.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Saya

Quote:
Well the scary thing about it is that L. Ron Hubbard was born on the same day of the month as I was. March 13. I think scientology is good for some people. Better then psychiatry and pschology. I think L. Ron Hubbard rights good science fiction. I read some of his stories and he has a lot cool sexy characters in them. Scientology is nothing really new like beliefs in reincarnation, astral projection, and stuff like that. It's like buddhism. Being at one with the univers.

Uh, no. Nothing like Buddhism actually.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Raptor

It's a troll.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
Sodaspes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Uh, no. Nothing like Buddhism actually.
L. Ron Hubbard declared that it was the modern buddhist heir of the western world. L. Ron Hubbard studied buddhism and other eastern religions. He combined modern philosophy, psychoanalysis, and eastern religion to form his own system of belief.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Saya

He compared himself to Buddhism but in no way is like Buddhism. Scientology advocates freedom from thetan and thus becoming immortal, Buddhism rejects the idea of souls and immortality. Hubbard says all drugs are bad, even medicine, Buddhism says that they can be good or bad, depends. Hubbard said to harass any critics through lawsuits and intimidation, Buddhism welcomes and expects criticism. Hubbard believes that a person has to put a lot of money into a religion and the stories of Scientology aren't told to a member until they are higher up, Buddhism wrote its scripture in Pali so that everyone could understand it right away, and was available to everybody. Hubbard made the religion for money, Scientologsts own spas and resorts and cruise boats, Buddha lived in poverty until he died. Buddhism believe its the biases and attachments that we make in our minds that makes us suffer, Scientologists believe aliens make us sad. I could go on all day on how Hubbard was a scam.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Sodaspes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
He compared himself to Buddhism but in no way is like Buddhism. Scientology advocates freedom from thetan and thus becoming immortal, Buddhism rejects the idea of souls and immortality. Hubbard says all drugs are bad, even medicine, Buddhism says that they can be good or bad, depends. Hubbard said to harass any critics through lawsuits and intimidation, Buddhism welcomes and expects criticism. Hubbard believes that a person has to put a lot of money into a religion and the stories of Scientology aren't told to a member until they are higher up, Buddhism wrote its scripture in Pali so that everyone could understand it right away, and was available to everybody. Hubbard made the religion for money, Scientologsts own spas and resorts and cruise boats, Buddha lived in poverty until he died. Buddhism believe its the biases and attachments that we make in our minds that makes us suffer, Scientologists believe aliens make us sad. I could go on all day on how Hubbard was a scam.

I don't believe scientology is a scam. Like scientology, Mormons and Jews have secret practices that are for certain members that are higher up. Such practices would impede spiritual progress to those who are not prepared. Buddhits believe in immortality and being at one with the univers. They believe we have souls but they are an atheist religion and a very old one. Scientology is a new religion for the current times. All religions believe in immortality.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
honeythorn

I used to be accosted by them in the city before they were stopped from doing so ( if I recall correctly..don't quote me on it though ) by Birmingham city council. So many people were pissed off with them touting their so called " stress test" . What was amusing was that literally where the scientologists were was about...100 yards up the street from a well known group of Christian Fundamentalists. The leader of whom stands on a box and bellows through a megaphone while his gaggle of disciples hang around nodding at what he says and trying to entrap people. They were sort of in competition with eachother haha. The fundies have moved to another street now. Wether of their own volition or because they were ordered to because of complaints about the amount of proselytisation on that street I do not know.

I just tell them I'm Pagan and they leave me be. I guess they think me not worth saving!
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
Saya

Quote:
I don't believe scientology is a scam. Like scientology, Mormons and Jews have secret practices that are for certain members that are higher up. Such practices would impede spiritual progress to those who are not prepared. Buddhits believe in immortality and being at one with the univers. They believe we have souls but they are an atheist religion and a very old one. Scientology is a new religion for the current times. All religions believe in immortality.
I know you're a troll and painfully and utterly stupid, but no, Buddha denied the existance of a soul or immortality. The idea that NOTHING is permanent or lasts forever is very important to Buddhism and always has been. Actually immortality is by and large a judeo-christian belief, many many religions do not believe in it.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
Sodaspes

L. Ron Hubbard did drugs. He was a black magic practitioner who studied voodoo and was in Aleister Crowley's Ordo Templi Orientis trying to invoke the antichrist with Jack Parson but failed. He also had many mistresses who use to spank him and suck his dick and stuff and say "don't cum unless I say." He was plagued with transmitted sexual diseases. He was one of the biggest con men of the 20th century.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
Sodaspes

L. Ron Hubbard did drugs. He was a black magic practitioner who studied voodoo and was in Aleister Crowley's Ordo Templi Orientis trying to invoke the antichrist with Jack Parson but failed. He also had many mistresses who use to spank him and suck his dick and stuff and say "don't cum unless I say." He was plagued with transmitted sexual diseases. He was one of the biggest con men of the 20th century.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #20
† Cado Angelus †

Hmmm.. I personal like the ideals of it.. Well some of the ideals anyway x3... And It seems like an interesting concept for a religion... Tho considering that it was made by a fictional writer it seems like a waste of time imo.. But then again faith in any form is good.. once again imo.
† Cado Angelus † is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #21
Sodaspes

This is what L. Ron Hubbard was into.

http://www.thechateau.com/home.html
Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #22
Drake Dun

Scientology is more fucking whack than Christianity or Islam, and those of you who know how I feel about Christianity and Islam will know exactly how fucking whack that is (if your imagination is up to the task). Stay the hell away from it.

http://www.xenu.net/
http://www.megaupload.com/jp/?d=G8DZ6UAP

The second one is a link to a mass storage site. No account needed. The video is well, well worth the download. I promise. Watch this, and you will forever more truly understand the meaning of the idiom, "Truth is stranger than fiction."
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I went to a Scientology introduction when I was young. Afterwards, they gave me the "lie detector" cans to hold to see if I really believed it, and when I told them goodbye (because it was bullshit), a few weeks later their lawyer sent me a threatening letter saying I forgot to pay my $50 "donation". I never responded and they threatened to take me to small claims court, but they never did.

Don't cross the "church" of Scientology or they will send lawyers after you. What a church.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #24
StrangeLove

Scientology is a religion with shady beginnings, and shady practices in the legal sense. But when it comes down to it, it's a religion, I'm an athiest who doesn't believe in a spiritual world or organized religion, so I just step away from it.

I am also a psychology student; Therefore, my future career choice does not fall in line with their beliefs. I disagree with their stance on the level of importance of psychiatry drugs.

I have more negative views of the Mormons, mostly because of my deep personal experience with that church and its members. I was raised Catholic, but I'm also pretty neutral with that church even when I became a nonbeliever.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #25
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
This is what L. Ron Hubbard was into.

http://www.thechateau.com/home.html
Please don't associate the BDSM community with someone like Hubbard. When you can connect BDSM to believing an alien spacecraft will deliver us from Earth, feel free to draw the connection. Til then, leave us alone.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote