Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
pixy_dust

newbie here!

Hi everyone! here's a bit about me. I look forward to joining the discussions =P

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I've had this year off from study since I'd quit my course (fashion design). I don't know why I chose it- I had no aspirations to be a fashion designer, ever. Next year I'll be doing a theatre/film design course, which is where my heart really lies! I've been going to an art school where I'm enjoying life drawing & watercolours. I like the occasional gig, theatre play/musical/dance...& I love the library.

2. Where are you from?
Nationality: hong kong. But I'm really an Aussie at heart.

3. Who is your favorite author?
It was impossible to read a novel while in uni...but since quitting, I've come across these books I loved: Do Electric Sheep Dream of Androids? (Bladerunner), Wicked!, Phantom of the Opera...reading Interview With the Vampire now (captured my heart after the 3rd page!), The Ring...& I sorta admit I enjoyed Twilight (1st book only)...& Edgar Allan Poe (for making me look up the dictionary every 2 minutes).

4. What are your favorite films?
Hellboy I & II, Edward Scissorhands & every other Tim Burton movie, V for Vendetta, Night at the Museum

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Something...ethereal. I haven't thought that far ahead & it might depend on whom I'm marrying?

6. At your funeral?
Ahaha...a while ago I would've said 'Helena' (My chemical romance), as a half joke. Now, maybe 'Pictures of You' (The Cure).

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
without the cause of an illness.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
A black one in a traditional coffin shape.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
It's not complete yet. Half my wardrobe is band shirts & I'm kinda sick of that. Mmmm but I do like my Tripp pants with docs.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Not much. Life is both better and harder now.

11. What's your favorite band?
My Chemical Romance for 'waking me up' to face who I am.
The Sisters of Mercy for being so damn sexy!
& Bauhaus, Joy Division, Bullet for My Valentine, The 69 Eyes, Fields of the Nephilim, Aiden, The Horrors, I Killed the Prom Queen etc etc.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
As explained in Q1.

13. Why did you join?
I found I have quite a few things in common with what people like the discuss here, which most of my friends won't be too interested in...& relating to something called a subculture...

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
I don't think it was clear. I'm female.
pixy_dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here !!!.

It looks like you have really good tastes in music and film !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Man In Room 5

Welcome to Gnet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixy_dust

I've come across these books I loved: Do Electric Sheep Dream of Androids? (Bladerunner),
It's actually called Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and it's by Phillip K. Dick, who also wrote the novels that inspired Total Recall, Screamers, Minority Report and A Scanner Darkly. The Matrix was also inspired by his ideas but not by any particular novel of his.

Anyway, welcome again. You have some excellent taste in movies, books and music.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
pixy_dust

^ ahahaha, I totally got the name the wrong way around. Thanks for the correction.

and thanks for the welcome!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

How did My Chemical Romance wake you up to your true nature?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Welcome to the site!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
pixy_dust

Underwater Ophelia, to answer that question, it's a complicated story but I'd be happy to tell you. Here we go...

I went through alot when I discovered MCR's music. It has to do with my upbringing. You see, I only started to seek out music 2 years ago and I was 19 and MCR was one of the first bands I fell in love with. Just that, was an act of rebellion against how I've been brought up. I've been taught to believe that in particular, secular music was a bad influence and is ungodly (my parents were trying to do good Christian parenting & it rather became narrowminded). I knew how much my parents hated secular media (magazines included), because I've never owned a cd by a secular band/artist until I got a job & bought them myself, & my mum had thrown out everything I had collected of the Spice Girls when I was in grade school.

I had been listening to other music, like stuff from my church's band, and worship music...but as good as they are, I realised that's not the end of music and there's more to it. I also began to question whether secular music is as bad as I've been told, so I started with some rock bands, some indie punk bands...and enjoyed it...at the same time, I was trying to adapt to uni life & sorta realised I couldn't relate to people, or people stayed away from me because all I could talk about was going to church (honestly, it was crazy, I'd be involved at church 4 days a week). My eyes sort of opened & realised I've been living in a safe, protective bubble & the reality of the world is completely opposite. My faith was still there, but sometimes I wasn't being realistic or practical. I think it was there when I started to feel lonely, angry at the way my parents used religion in the wrong way to make me their perfect daughter, and more angry at how closed off I am & unappreciateive of people and ideas who weren't 'godly'. I had even been condemning and insensitive to two girls in high school who were lesbians & were into metal music & needed some help with personal issues & I had told them they're 'wrong' and never tried to understand them.

Then I fell in love with Welcome to the Black Parade. It had hit that spot inside me & I just wanted to cry. It was like, all the emotions I've felt during that period, sung out perfectly in that anthemic song. It was all I could listen to for at least a week and I had felt like crying all the time. (a big emo baby i was ahahha) I ventured carefully into MCR's music as I still thought listening to lyrics like that will 'destroy' me...and so many of the songs I heard was the sound of what my insides were trying to voice out but didn't know how to.

I started to chat to MCR fans online & found out MCR's background & the message they told people, "it's ok to be messed up, because there's 5 guys just as messed up as you are".

It was never official that I underwent depression, but it probably was since my parents tried to take me to a counsellor. It just dealt with it with more music & went to my first concert ever, by myself, if you can't guess what it was well it's MCR's of course. I think my life had changed after that concert. And after that, came many more concerts, some of which I went by myself, until I met some friends whom I still hang out with.

and I still haven't talked about wearing black. I began wearing black not because of the whole emo thing even though half my music will be classified as 'emo'. I just did because I felt comfortable & myself.

That's not even the whole story. I don't know if it makes coherent sense, but that part of my life was simultaneously confusing and coherent. But I hope it answered your question and got to the point in a long and winding way.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
tekajo

Interesting story. Welcome to GNet.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
HellforgedX

Hmm... usually it's listening to Devil music & then becoming Born Again Christian, not the other way around! I really enjoyed your backup of why you like MCR, not a lot of people do anymore. Welcome to the boards!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
biohazard

Welcome to Gnet. The cure and I killed the prom queen rock.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
pixy_dust

^^ unusual isn't it? my parents even asked me if I was Christian anymore & I think my dad still doubts I am still one, but of course I am - just not an oh-so-righteous-you'll-look-like-a-sinner-standing-next-to-me sort of Christian that I was.

Experiencing the whole range of human emotions from happiness to anger and pain (also through music) doesn't make me less of a Christian. It enriches the experience of living. Whereas before, I always believed I must fight against 'negative' feelings (as taught in church but this I now don't completely agree with) but I've learnt myself it's more of an act of 'channelling' negativity, not to rid of it. That is something I heard from Gerard Way (MCR frontman) and I had already been doing it.

^ yes, IKTPQ is one of the finest things my country has produced besides the lawnmower and the meatpie!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Jonathan

There's nothing wrong with feeling negative things, unless you are trying to become a jedi knight. Just try not to get too fixated on anything, and chances are you'll pull through without too much trouble.

Music can have a pretty profound effect on people. I don't share your opinion of that band, but I think I can understand the associations you've built up around them. I've got a couple muscians I really admire, who's work have helped me get through some rough times.

Hope you enjoy yourself here.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
ionic_angel

Hello, welcome, and etc.

Dunno if you'd like them, but Switchblade Symphony is a favorite of mine, you might consider a listen.

Oh, and BTW, Christian to fellow Christian: first, rock is not the devils' music. Wait, you knew that. Ok, hmm. Oh, right...don't post if you don't have a thick skin, and take nothing personally. :-)
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
HellforgedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
Hello, welcome, and etc.

Dunno if you'd like them, but Switchblade Symphony is a favorite of mine, you might consider a listen.

Oh, and BTW, Christian to fellow Christian: first, rock is not the devils' music. Wait, you knew that. Ok, hmm. Oh, right...don't post if you don't have a thick skin, and take nothing personally. :-)
And by nothing, ionic MEANS ABSO'FRIGGIN'LUTELY NOTHING seriously. Most of the kids in here have nothing better to do than insult, put down, and impose God complexes on others. Let everything slide off, and you'll be A-OK!
Have a nice day!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellforgedX
Most of the kids in here have nothing better to do than insult, put down, and impose God complexes on others. Let everything slide off, and you'll be A-OK!
Have a nice day!
I thought that that was what I just said?
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
Unimatrix 00

Keep away from this site. It is a shithole. They will make your life a misery if you're in any way a nice person.
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
pixy_dust

Jonathan:
I completely understand. Everyone sees a band with a different light, and those who sees MCR as anything meaningful to their life is often teenage girls or the earlier fans.

ionic angel:
ahahh no, rock is not the devil's music, but it is partiuclarly hard to believe that The Devil Wears Prada is a death/metalcore band of christian dudes screaming & growling about God and salvation.

okieeees, i'm sort of getting the idea there's a certain amount of 'danger' around here, well thanks for the advice...but i'm still hanging in after 3 days!