Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #26
Maggoty Anne

I just got a detention for calling my friend a fucktard because he said The Cure are emo.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #27
Maggoty Anne

This freind thinks MCR are goth, by the way.

Still, I think we should lay off the emos. Didn't people say the same things about us before they came along? I'm not saying I like their style, but it's sure as hell better than what else is in.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_sa..._071015_ms.jpg
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #28
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne

Still, I think we should lay off the emos. Didn't people say the same things about us before they came along? I'm not saying I like their style, but it's sure as hell better than what else is in.
And this: http://www.toxicteddies.com/images/f...fc/juggalo.jpg
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
Necrophagist

That's Sir Helpmann.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #30
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
That's Sir Helpmann.
Makes sense.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #31
Elysiume

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. Where I live, there aren't very many emos, goths or punks, so we're all sort of lumped together as the "alternative" group, which I really like, because people see that we all have different style and attitude and don't pick on us. And it just shows that we can co-exist, I mean in the end we are really not so different.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #32
Necrophagist

Yes we are! By Kelpmann's reckoning, the human race is split into two groups: Good ol' Brits, and those atrocious, inbred foreigners!

Yee haw!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #33
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
I just got a detention for calling my friend a fucktard because he said The Cure are emo.
He obviously knows nothing about music, The Cure is the shit. But how, by any stretch of the imaginiation could he consider MCR goth?
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #34
Necrophagist

Kelpmann's imagination.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #35
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
He obviously knows nothing about music, The Cure is the shit. But how, by any stretch of the imaginiation could he consider MCR goth?
It's a common mistake to make. According to Rolling Stone, a magazine I have always respected,

"My Chemical Romance went so deep into goth land during the recording of their new album Welcome to the Black Parade that they became a completely new group, singer Gerard Way tells Billboard. “There was a certain point where it was so dark for us that it felt like we needed to become much more than brothers and we also needed to become a new band” Way explains, (and further confuses.) Gerard claims that My Chem actually became a group called “Black Parade” while making the record, which tells the story of a character called “the Patient” who, on his deathbed, recalls being taken to a parade as a child by his father. All this back story is sort of freaking us out, but we’re looking forward to the record. "

Gotta love the comment "Tom Waits" left.
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...ap-out-of-you/
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #36
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
It's a common mistake to make. According to Rolling Stone, a magazine I have always respected,

"My Chemical Romance went so deep into goth land during the recording of their new album Welcome to the Black Parade that they became a completely new group, singer Gerard Way tells Billboard. “There was a certain point where it was so dark for us that it felt like we needed to become much more than brothers and we also needed to become a new band” Way explains, (and further confuses.) Gerard claims that My Chem actually became a group called “Black Parade” while making the record, which tells the story of a character called “the Patient” who, on his deathbed, recalls being taken to a parade as a child by his father. All this back story is sort of freaking us out, but we’re looking forward to the record. "

Gotta love the comment "Tom Waits" left.
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...ap-out-of-you/
damn, I can't belive Rolling stone made that mistake, It was probably because MCR don't like to be called emo, so they probably got all anal to the reporter.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #37
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:

I actually don't respect Rolling Stone much, myself. They have Kurt Cobain as No. 12 on a list of the HUNDRED greatest guitarists (Gilmour got No. 82). To me, that's a total resignation from the title of "credible". Well, maybe not. But it sticks in my craw.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #38
Maggoty Anne

But where else can I get my ridiculously liberally-biased news? I'm too lazy to subscribe to anything that can't be bought at walmart.

They let Way describe that exact album as "Dark Cabaret." Well, maybe that was Spin!, but still...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #39
Sanguine Mind

Quote:
But where else can I get my ridiculously liberally-biased news? I'm too lazy to subscribe to anything that can't be bought at walmart.

They let Way describe that exact album as "Dark Cabaret." Well, maybe that was Spin!, but still...
Here's how to sum up the conversation: Fuck Rolling Stone
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #40
Tralis

Scenesters/Hipsters bother me a lot more than emos. There's emos that follow the stereotypes, but for the most part its as exagerated as anything the media has done on goths. I don't like emo music, and emo values sometimes bother me, but I don't really think its my right to judge the culture or its members except when its taken too extremely.

Scenesters... well I heard a quote from someone that they "fetishise the authentic". That sort of made sense to me. They feel like they have so little substance that they have to try their hardest to make it look like they do.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #41
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That could have been moderately funny, but you chose bad examples.

This is a scene kid: Holy shit

Yes I was rather disappointed by the examples as well. Not what I was expecting.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #42
Dr Nancy

One of my best friends is heavily into scene fashion.
All I'm going to say is when I slept over at hers', she had to take off her fake hair, fake eyelashes, a ridiculous amount of hair clips, all her neon make-up, and layer, upon layer, upon bloody layer, I think I counted four or five layers of clothing, the she had to shower to get all the hairspray out of her hair.
It was interesting to watch.
Dr Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #43
Godslayer Jillian

Fake hair? Seriously?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #44
Cicero

Quote:
Fake hair? Seriously?
Coloured and striped extensions are the basis of the scene haircut. Just type 'scene kids' into google images and the evidence is there. It's even more homogenous than deathhawks on deathrockers...

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #45
Dr Nancy

Quote:
Fake hair? Seriously?
Yeah, black and pink coon striped extensions, and plain black extensions.
Dr Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #46
Sanguine Mind

Scene kids are complete tools, case in point:

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #47
maromi12d3

So lame..............
maromi12d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #48
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
Scene kids are complete tools, case in point:

I actually prefer the second ones. They look slightly more intelligent. Then again, having met scenie-weenies before, I know most of them are dumbfucks regardless of looks.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #49
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
I actually prefer the second ones. They look slightly more intelligent. Then again, having met scenie-weenies before, I know most of them are dumbfucks regardless of looks.
Do note that if empiricism is worthy of consideration, the above ones are probably very politically literate, the music they're moshing to has substantial lyrics (despite simple harmonies), and they are very conscious about the fact that their mosh is a way to vent out their anger, but focus their energy on more productive things.
The ones below, as you can see, have (d)evolved collectively into one same look because they're all together in that school. Their most important thought in the moment is that they have a date, and their 'hardcore music' is a form of escapism for weekend nights.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #50
Underwater Ophelia

I think scene looks cool.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote