Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Hades

Bullshit-books

Core books for some classes. Motivational books. Books on how to discover this and that.
Seriously. Are the humans That stupid that they need to be TOLD that "if the outcome is negative, the motivation to perform well decreases"?!? And books that have advice to give, but instead of having it all nicely, shortly said, the fucking writer goes on and on and on about the same thing?
Is it just me or there's too many books out there that tell you obvious every day things in this fancy-ass language, and wtf is a math-y looking FORMULA doing in a people-relations business book! xD
Ah, god dammit, i'm just jealous... those bastards are earning money by stating the obvious for the stupid ones. And the moderately smart ones then go on to read their shit because "it's a book, naught but wisdom crawls out of there" or some shit. Why did they THINK OF THIS EASY MONEY BEFORE ME???

Oo maybe hey i should post this in the book section, not general one. o.o

Anyways, is there any kind of bullshit-book out there that you guys despise?
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
LiquidEcstasy

Those "How to improve your life so it doesn't suck like all hell" books, and any autobiographies by celebrities reallllyyyyy annoy me.
LiquidEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Tam Li Hua

Problem is, we humans like to think of ourselves as a lot more 'logical' than we actually are. When we suddenly realize how far off-track we've gotten, then sometimes those books can be useful.

[Note I said 'sometimes', as opposed to 'always'.]
Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
LiquidEcstasy

O.O
I refuse to accept that "Men Are From Mars and Woman Are From Venus" is a logical book. I simply refuse.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
MollyMac

Especiall when the author is on marriage number four. "I'k OK, You're OK" has ruined a generation of high school counselors.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
LiquidEcstasy

I know, it's kind of like a morbidly obese person being a dietician.
And high school counsellors have always been awful, the book just made them worse...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Albert Mond

I've heard that "Princess Spider: True Experiences from a Dominatrix" sucks.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Duane

Do Penn and Teller have a book out?
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Saya

The Secret is spreading like wildfire around here. Isn't the gist of the whole thing "If you think positively, good things will happen"?

And I think a lot of Buddhist books suffer from trying to be self help guides for non-Buddhists. I'm looking at YOU, Art Of Happiness! Its hard to figure out which books will help me learn more about my own religion and which books will tell me the bare basics I already know and how to apply that to my busy middle class family life o.O
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
The Secret is spreading like wildfire around here. Isn't the gist of the whole thing "If you think positively, good things will happen"?
I really dislike the principle of that book. I mean thinking positively is great and all... But it isn't like a magical force!!
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
I really dislike the principle of that book. I mean thinking positively is great and all... But it isn't like a magical force!!
Oh yes it is! I thought about eating a roll, and I achieved that dream by reaching over, grabbing one and putting it in my mouth. This book is a MIRACLE!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
MegearaErotica

I don't like the books that claim they are teen guides to life but are really self-help books. I got one for Christmas last year...
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you. If I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #13
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Are the humans that stupid...?
Yes, they are that stupid. However, it is much more than that.

Humans, to a large extent, are weak. They see a challenge before them and cower, they run for help before attempting the challenge. They weaken themselves needlessly, medicating what the immune system can handle, censoring anything they could simply ignore, driving where they could walk, accepting processed garbage when they could cook, and the worst thing, accepting anything heard as fact instead of learning. People have long forgotten that every obstacle placed in your path is to be enjoyed, for every challenge provides the opportunity to grow, to become stronger, faster, smarter, and better. These books are but a prime example of human weakness, turning to the counsel of others for issues that only involve one's self.

Regarding the post above mine:

Self-Help books are an oxymoron. If one consult a book written by someone else, it is no longer self help, it is help. If one helps one's self, then one didn't need help to begin with. I believe the late comedian George Carlin made a remark with that gist.
Darth Nihilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Steppenwolf

who cares?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
who cares?
Shut the fuck up, Steppenwolf. You're genuinely curious as to who cares? Obviously the author cares, and everyone who replied to the thread cares.

Futhermore, you must recognize that every time you reply to a thread you dislike with 'who cares', that thread is bumped to the top of the page. A sensible person sees a post he doesn't care about and ignores it, but you're the goddamn worst kind of moron, one who addresses a problem by fucking contributing to it.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
Hades

What the mean guy above me said, only in less harsh words.

Also agree with Darth Nihilus, well, for the most part. I, too, am a lazy bastard who sometimes replaces cooking with Pizza Hut

There was also this book i read when i was around 12, called "Power of the Unconscious Mind" or whatever. Said that if you wish for something to happen, believe in it so much that you're confident it will happen. Okay, did that man ever consider the notion of winning $1032583285325? Or having your own harem? Yeah, that's likely to happen to us all.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
LiquidEcstasy

How do some of these books even get PUBLISHED?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidEcstasy
How do some of these books even get PUBLISHED?
Here are a few facts that I thought was pretty well-known until recently:
1. Publishers publish what they think will sell well. Since most self-help books work on some people but don't work on most of the people who buy them (morons), self-help books are very easy to sell.
2. There are smaller publishing companies who will publish even moar crap.
3. If you don't feel like going through the trouble of publishing through either of the above, you can publish a book yourself and get it printed (or print it yourself, though I wouldn't suggest that).
Old 12-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
strange_pleasure

Any book in Oprah's fuckin' book club
strange_pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #20
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Shut the fuck up, Steppenwolf. You're genuinely curious as to who cares? Obviously the author cares, and everyone who replied to the thread cares.

Futhermore, you must recognize that every time you reply to a thread you dislike with 'who cares', that thread is bumped to the top of the page. A sensible person sees a post he doesn't care about and ignores it, but you're the goddamn worst kind of moron, one who addresses a problem by fucking contributing to it.
you didn't get it and obviously I'm not going to explain it here .
I don't have any responsability for bumping threads .
You shut the fuck up . If you don't like me before you know me it's your problem , not mine
Old 12-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #21
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
you didn't get it and obviously I'm not going to explain it here .
I don't have any responsability for bumping threads .
You shut the fuck up . If you don't like me before you know me it's your problem , not mine
Well said.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote