Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 AM   #51
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
I'm a brawler. This is Ireland. We like to fight. 99% of the time people here don't use any weapons, but there is the random knifing and the occasional a bottling.
Must be all that American TV and movies you guys watch.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #52
Deadmanwalking_05

Training does have it's place but playing it by ear has worked out well for me over the years.

(I'm still alive I mean)

And no I'm not above fighting dirty....it works

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #53
Despanan

I think I may be one of the few people here who's actually been assaulted with a gun, and I can tell you this, the best line of defense is thinking.

I got jumped and mugged by two guys while I was outside digging in my car for a DVD. one guy just stood there and watched, while the other smacked me in the face repeatedly with the front end of a pistol. Didn't ask for anything first, just did what seemed to be completely random assault with a firearm.

Looking back, I probably could have taken him in a fist fight, I might've even been able to take the gun away from him, but in the end it was better to just start yelling at him (I think I said something like "What the fuck is wrong with you asshole?") and give him a couple of bucks instead of pulling out my wallet and letting him take all $250 (he only got 40). After all, he had a gun and I don't know whether or not his buddy was armed.

In that situation, being smart and maybe a little paranoid would've been better protection than all the pistols and knives in the world. Keeping my head about me while the assault was going on might have saved my life and definitely impacted how much they were able to steal from me.

None the less, I always carry a switchblade now, and I keep a SAP Baton in my car. Just because it didn't help then doesn't mean it won't help in the future. My best defense however, is being prepared for it to happen again always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #54
Deadmanwalking_05

It pays to keep your head on a swivel.

That would save you more trouble than shooting or fighting someone.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #55
my dark anus

I have only been in one life or death situation, and fortunately I was able to use words to get out of it. Might not be that lucky next time.
my dark anus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #56
jack_the_knife

I don't like talking my way out of violent situations. If someone gets physical with me, they can bargain with a little more than just a couple of bruises. If someone pulls a knife on me, I won't hesitate to pull mine on them. Most muggers don't expect a fight or even the slightest resistance.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #57
Jonathan

Mirroring the other comments about avoiding.
Most of the time, problems like this can be avoided by some basic situational awareness. Don't look at your shoes while you're walking, if there's something bad up ahead get on the other side of the street.

I am not interested in fighting. If someone makes a bad decision, then I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure I get home to the people I care about. I carry a pocket folder. I will deploy every advantage I am capable of, if I were to find myself in a situation where my life or the life of someone else was being threatened. I am not looking for a level playing field, or a contest of skill with a random assailant or street gang.

Martial arts are the arts of Mars. Mars is the god of war. War is killing people and breaking things.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #58
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius

What are your means of defense?
My big ass, I sit on people if they sass me.

Nah.....
Probably my means of defense is my friend Kai, I'm not easily scared (this is not always a good thing), and the two of us have been known to get into potentially dangerous situations when we go to philly.
However, my friend is incredibly responsible and smart so I always feel safe with him and trust his judgement.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #59
PortraitOfSanity

I spent roughly a year backpacking around Canada. The heaviest "weapon" we carried was a survival knife. The biggest danger for us was grizzlies (though we did actually get shot at once, but that was because we were somewhere we shouldn't have been...), and usually grizzlies will run away if they see humans from a distance. The only time you're likely to be attacked, is if you stumble upon a grizzly, and startle it. And then it doesn't matter what you're carrying, you're probably fucked anyway, from what I heard, the Mounties use a .50 Barret to hunt grizzlies that get too comfortable coming into towns. Hunters always asked us why we were walking through the woods banging pots together

I guess the moral of the story is brains over brawn.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #60
Joker_in_the_Pack

My line of defense? Abso-fucking-lutely anything. I may live in a decent neighborhood now, but I wasn't always here. I like spending times in the lousy neighborhoods (all the good shows go on there) and yeah, I've been mugged and attacked.

Talking your way out doesn't always work. If you're being robbed, seriously, JUST GIVE THEM THE MONEY. $50 isn't worth being shot.

Last scrap I got into, musta been two years ago, I came out on top only because I wasn't completely drunk. Yes, I was drunk, he was just worse off. A few punches to the nose will do someone if you hit them hard enough.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #61
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
A few punches to the nose will do someone if you hit them hard enough.
I've found punches to the throat to be more effective.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #62
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife
I've found punches to the throat to be more effective.
Yeah but a punch to the nose won't usually be construed as attempted murder.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #63
Deadmanwalking_05

Why screw around hitting them in the nose or throat when you can drop somebody with a well placed punch or elbow to the temple?

Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #64
Sadist Sagittarius

1st line would be avoid.
2nd I'd run like hell.
3rd would be kick to the nuts if they aren't armed, and then run.

After that I'd do absolutely everything within my power to kill them.
Sadist Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #65
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
Why screw around hitting them in the nose or throat when you can drop somebody with a well placed punch or elbow to the temple?
Because that can kill them, and unless you have very good evidence that they were trying to kill you and were capable of doing so... well, you'd be facing accidental homicide charges at best.

I've got just over a decade's training in one Okinawan martial arts, so frankly speaking I'm not generally concerned with violence. It crosses my mind less than average simply because most direct physical conflicts are within a scope that I can easily handle. Stuff beyond that (like, for instance, armed gang violence and mugging-heavy zones) I avoid as habit and therefor also don't worry about.

That said, I like martial arts training. I'm not currently active in the same organization, but I keep it fresh and like to analyze new methods or reactions to various circumstances. I'm also interested in many forms of armed combat, largely out of curiosity; I'm debating getting one of these (Kanabō) just to experiment around with.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #66
PortraitOfSanity

You can kill with a 2 strike sequence to the nose. One strike at the base of the nose, which fractures the skull and also the cartilage of the nose. The next blow pushes the nose cartilage into said hole. Lights out.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #67
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
You can kill with a 2 strike sequence to the nose. One strike at the base of the nose, which fractures the skull and also the cartilage of the nose. The next blow pushes the nose cartilage into said hole. Lights out.
And then you better plant a gun on them, because otherwise you go to jail.

I can kill you by ripping your throat out with my teeth. That doesn't make it a good idea, though, for many reasons. The least (?) of which is the fact that it's a hard thing to make seem like self defense.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #68
Vivi

Would an empty wallet in an obvious place and a well-hidden full wallet make much difference if you were mugged?
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #69
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
And then you better plant a gun on them, because otherwise you go to jail.

I can kill you by ripping your throat out with my teeth. That doesn't make it a good idea, though, for many reasons. The least (?) of which is the fact that it's a hard thing to make seem like self defense.
You were saying how a blow to the temple would kill, I thought you were saying getting hit in the nose wouldn't. A self-defense argument doesn't mean you can't use lethal force after all.

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #70
LaBelleDameSansMerci

But it's still best not to use lethal force if it can be avoided. One does not want to unnecessarily kill someone. Break their legs before you break their life.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #71
freddy666

my final line of defense line would be kicking them in the genetals i have been known to kick hard.

but i have never been in a situation like that. i live in a very safe neighborhod
and only places i go are school, various stores, occasionaly ovie theaters and the beach. one on the beach we have been mugged. my mom and i were in the ocean when some guys grabed the beach bag and ran but since the money was in the car and nothingvaluble was in it they just dropped it behind some sand dunes and by the time we came out of the ocean they were gone.
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #72
LaBelleDameSansMerci

When my parents and I were skiing once, someone broke into our car and stole a bag full of dead ski wax.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #73
ArtificialOne

.40 S&W, concealed weapons permit.

Avoidance. Don't go anywhere stupid, yeah you have the right to be stupid, but try some fore thought. Like not going through the park at 3 am, etc, etc. Doesn't matter if you're 4'5 or 7'5, you can't fight back if you can't see it.

Common sense is the best self defense.

http://www.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defen.../dp/0966511913

If you have a handgun, make sure you read the laws on self defense using a weapon. I would like to say lots about it, but laws and liability..
every state has different laws and make sure you're aware of them.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #74
Deadmanwalking_05

Well Spoken Artificial one.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #75
ashley12

pepper spray

There are so many types of pepper spray on the market today that it has become confusing for you to decide which one to get. There are three basic chemical compounds that compose these defensive sprays.
ashley12 is offline   Reply With Quote