Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
$haDe

I was so sure that there would be an arguement about the teapot orbitting Jupiter.

Oh well...I'll just roll away.

*rolls away from the thread*
Old 01-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #27
jack_the_knife

When I was younger, I used to see people sitting on a chair out of the corner of my eye, and when I looked, they were gone. The same thing happened with trains, I saw a person I knew in a train and when it went past a building, the person was gone on the other side. I know I was probably just imagining it, but sometimes it scared the living shit out of me.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #28
Vivi

I had experiences with seeing movement in darkened rooms at my old house. Sometimes, when walking through the house at night I would get an odd feeling and i would feel cold. Ill then see what appears to be "people" as black silhouettes walk by windows and such that had light passing through them. I don't know if its "ghosts" but there are times when i feel a real urgency to get out of a place, sometimes even run. Its really weird.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #29
Alarica

This is creepy, because I was speaking to a mate yesterday about this. My house is haunted. It's no big secret and wouldnt be a big deal if it wasnt stopping the girls from sleeping. My eldest has started seeing the same spirits I have (old man who frightens the fucking life out of me, and is a very strong dark shadow, an old lady, a man in the garden and a little boy, as well as a little girl in the house). My middle 2 girls have each had the same experiences with this face at the window that talks but they dont hear anything. I would be sectioned if I recalled everything I experience lol. We also have been visited by my grandfathers. We walk past a funeral home thats local, quite often, and everytime we pass it at night, 1 of my girls sees someone there. My son on the other hand talks about a man who messes with the lights, and shortly after my lights dip and brighten again. But he also has an amazing imagination and talks about this stripey monster in the bedroom that scares him, and he is now terrified of sleeping in the dark. We have had things fly from units before now, strange smells etc, and I have experienced these things since I was little and they still scare the hell out of me occasionally.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
Drake Dun

I don't take the idea of ghosts very seriously, but I'll tell you a story about something which many people would interpret as some kind of spectral activity.

I was up late (per usual) in my house, on the first floor. My aunt was over, and she was sleeping on the couch in the living room (also on the first floor). Suddenly I heard this really loud noise. It sounded like some two meter high pile of assorted household objects falling over and spilling everywhere or something like that. It woke my aunt up too. I looked around but I couldn't find any kind of mess or anything. My parents were asleep on the second floor, and they said they never heard anything. We never figured out what caused the sound.

OoooOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOH.... EEEEEEK!

Actually, an idea just hit me right in the head. Obviously I didn't go into my parents' room to check if the event happened there. So maybe they knocked a bunch of stuff over and were too embarassed to tell us.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi
Ill then see what appears to be "people" as black silhouettes walk by windows and such that had light passing through them. I don't know if its "ghosts" but there are times when i feel a real urgency to get out of a place, sometimes even run.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

Read it, and never sleep again! Buahahaha.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #32
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
This is creepy, because I was speaking to a mate yesterday about this. My house is haunted.
If you pay me three thousand bucks, I will clear the haunting. Dead serious. I know how. You just get a skeptic like me to hang around when one of the events is supposed to happen, and all the ghosts mysteriously go away. It's the damndest thing. Crosses and holy water work okay, but nothing chases them away faster than non-belief.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #33
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi
I had experiences with seeing movement in darkened rooms at my old house. Sometimes, when walking through the house at night I would get an odd feeling and i would feel cold. Ill then see what appears to be "people" as black silhouettes walk by windows and such that had light passing through them. I don't know if its "ghosts" but there are times when i feel a real urgency to get out of a place, sometimes even run. Its really weird.
If that would happen to me, i would go screaming for 10 minutes and would ask all my neighbours to come :P
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #34
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
If you pay me three thousand bucks, I will clear the haunting. Dead serious. I know how. You just get a skeptic like me to hang around when one of the events is supposed to happen, and all the ghosts mysteriously go away. It's the damndest thing. Crosses and holy water work okay, but nothing chases them away faster than non-belief.
Lmfao. My partner doesnt believe in them either. If I hadn't seen them for myself I wouldnt believe in them. I still think theres a logical explaination though. I had a mate once who said she was in the bath 1 evening, and saw her boyfriend walk past the bathroom door, so she called out to him, to ask him to make her a cuppa. Anyway, he didnt reply, so she yelled several times, in the end he shouts back 'sorry, I was in the garden. Whats wrong?'. It hadnt been him. The direction what she saw, walked, was from the stairway to a bedroom. She moved out within a week. I am friends with the person living there now too, and she's complained of feeling held down, during the night.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #35
Underwater Ophelia

Ghosts aren't real.
They just aren't.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #36
Raivyn

Location: A small town in Pennsylvania. Nothing ever happens here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Ghosts aren't real.
They just aren't.
Maybe you're right. But then again, there is no evidence proving this.

Nor is there true evidence of their existence.

Hell, for all we know, there could be other sentient beings on this planet that we can't normally see or touch, matter vibrating on a completely different level, and they try to communicate with us through these "ghost" forms. After all, we can only sense a very small part of the electromagnetic spectrum.. who knows what else is out there?

Not that I'm a believer of the latter, but you never know.. best keep an open mind.
Raivyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #37
Wednesday Friday Addams

I don't think that ghosts as spirits of the dead exist. But I wouldn't be surprised if sightings are just some part of our brain playing up for some reason.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #38
KontanKarite

My hypothesis is that you simply go to each and every haunted place with a skeptic and you will discover that there is no such thing as ghosts.

The super natural is easily debunked when challenged.

Sometimes, I think ghosts are a product of psychological lunacy. Though my parents and my sister claim to have been haunted throughout the years, I've been the special one that hasn't experienced a damn thing. Logic and unbelief... possibly the most powerful metaphysical force in the supernatural arena.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #39
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:

Damn. I was gonna link that.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #40
nis~sijai

My house is haunted too, Everyone who visits says they see the "shadow people", in fact, one of the shadow people in my house appears to be a dog.

I've also seen a woman in a red sundress walking from one room to another, she usually looks distressed.
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #41
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis~sijai
My house is haunted too, Everyone who visits says they see the "shadow people", in fact, one of the shadow people in my house appears to be a dog.
Hahahaha! Owned by a dead chick!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #42
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivyn
Maybe you're right. But then again, there is no evidence proving this.

Nor is there true evidence of their existence.

Hell, for all we know, there could be other sentient beings on this planet that we can't normally see or touch, matter vibrating on a completely different level, and they try to communicate with us through these "ghost" forms. After all, we can only sense a very small part of the electromagnetic spectrum.. who knows what else is out there?

Not that I'm a believer of the latter, but you never know.. best keep an open mind.
Non-believers DON'T have the burden of proof.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #43
tekajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Shadow people entry at wikipedia
Hypnagogia

Also known as waking-sleep, hypnagogia is a documented physiological condition in which a person is part-way between sleeping and waking.[10] During hypnagogia, a person can be conscious and aware of their environment, but also in a dream-like state where they can perceive images from their subconscious. People experiencing waking-sleep commonly report the sensation of lights or shadows moving around them, as well as other visual hallucinations. A feeling of dread is also a sensation that occurs when experiencing hypnagogia. Hypnagogia is sometimes known as 'the faces in the dark phenomenon' because those who experience this state commonly report seeing faces while experiencing waking-sleep.[11] Similar hypotheses have been put forward linking this condition to a number of other apparent paranormal experiences, including alien abductions paranormal nocturnal visitations, and religious experiences such as contact with angels or demons.
That happened to me once in college in my dorm room. i was "awaken" by some "strange" sounds coming from behind me (i was sleeping on my side). When i began to roll over to see what was making the noise i saw a large "shadowy figure" standing beside my bed. It was late morning so our room was well lit. i couldn't completely roll over because i was quite literally frozen with fear. It seemed to have lasted for a long time but it couldn't have only been a few seconds. When i was finally able to break the fear and truly look in the direction it was gone.

It may not have been real but it scared the fuck out of me.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #44
Albert Mond

Happened to me once, too. I had a nightmare and tried to wake up. Felt like something was trying to pull me back to sleep, and I had to make a lot of effort to un-freeze and wake up fully. I saw some little blue men run by in the hall.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #45
Saya

Quote:

I get that a lot, always out of the corner of my eye. But I'm confident its pareidolia. I had this cat for ten years, and after he died whenever I came down the stairs I would see him follow me out of the corner of my eye. But I think I just saw him because that was a sight I was so used to seeing.

EDIT: Ah, the old hag syndrome. I'd get it when I was trying to fall asleep or I was just waking up. I'd be frozen and I'd see figures in my room, once a hand reached out and started petting my hair, once I saw a hag climbing up my bed. Its scary, can't move or snap out of it. Haven't had it in a long time though, I won't get it if a person or an animal is in the room with me.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #46
Raivyn

Location: A small town in Pennsylvania. Nothing ever happens here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Non-believers DON'T have the burden of proof.
Perhaps.

Also, non-believers may not be seeking truth or knowledge.
Raivyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #47
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Perhaps.

You're so backwards.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #48
nis~sijai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
My hypothesis is that you simply go to each and every haunted place with a skeptic and you will discover that there is no such thing as ghosts.

The super natural is easily debunked when challenged.

Sometimes, I think ghosts are a product of psychological lunacy. Though my parents and my sister claim to have been haunted throughout the years, I've been the special one that hasn't experienced a damn thing. Logic and unbelief... possibly the most powerful metaphysical force in the supernatural arena.
I agree.
I think if ghosts do exsist, they are probably fueled by our imagination. If one person claims a house is haunted, nobody will belive them. If 500 people claim a house is haunted, everyone will claim to experiance something supernatural there.
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #49
tekajo

i think i'll stick with "My cousin and i saw a ghost that one time" since the alternative is more disturbing.

i know he's insane but...not me.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #50
KontanKarite

Quote:
Perhaps.

Perhaps my ass. Your moderate approach to this subject makes you look airheaded.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote