Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #51
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I've been wondering lately if the legal adult age should be lowered in this country from [generally] 18 down to 16.
If anything, it should be raised.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #52
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
you are still a parent yourself, and I think that you're trying to justify any decision that you have made or will make in the future that drastically affects your child's life without consulting them
Still a parent myself? I'm always going to be a parent. The same as I'm always going to be someones child and sister too.

I consult my children on every decision to do with them. From moving house, to moving schools, to where we go on holiday, to what colour to paint the bathroom! I'm one of those annoying people of such an age I can see it from the parents perspective and still recall how it felt as a child to have things done without being so much as asked how I felt. To be honest, as pissed as the OP is, it seems he comes from a caring family, despite how he may see it right now. He's had the opportunity to form good relationships with people and that is making it hard to leave. If he had come from a less caring environment, he wouldnt be so bothered. Either way, I'm sure the outcome wont damage him or leave him mentally scarred, but make him a stronger person with more friends than some kids get the opportunity to make in life.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #53
knightmare

Honestly, I don't know what the hell Agios' dilemma is. But you are stupid if you think genetics has nothing to do with humanistic concepts. We are able to think the way we do because our brains evolved this way. Alterations in the brain affect the way people act and think. Disciplines of pyschology are based on this (that's why we have prescriptions) Tell me what Agios dilemma is so I can properly discuss it with you
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #54
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
Either way, I'm sure the outcome wont damage him or leave him mentally scarred, but make him a stronger person with more friends than some kids get the opportunity to make in life.
That's stupid, it's a justification for any unfair negative intervention in his life on the basis that it makes him stronger.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #55
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare
Honestly, I don't know what the hell Agios' dilemma is. But you are stupid if you think genetics has nothing to do with humanistic concepts. We are able to think the way we do because our brains evolved this way. Alterations in the brain affect the way people act and think. Disciplines of pyschology are based on this (that's why we have prescriptions) Tell me what Agios dilemma is so I can properly discuss it with you

Read the thread's first post, genius.

And read Dawkins while you're at it.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #56
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
That's stupid, it's a justification for any unfair negative intervention in his life on the basis that it makes him stronger.
Oh, shut up.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #57
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
The Selfish Gene's Richard Dawkins would slap you right now.
No, he would slap YOU right now, because, as Judge pointed out, you're attributing gene properties to macroscopic individual, something that Dawkins hates that people do with his theories and considers them fallacies (which they are)
Quote:
Evolution's concept of survival of the fittest is essentially selfish.
And now evolution would slap you right now. Survival of the fittest is not evolution. Not even close.
It's bullshit social darwinism with absolutely no scientific bases. Thank Herbert Spencer for that, not Darwin.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #58
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
And now evolution would slap you right now. Survival of the fittest is not evolution. Not even close.
It's bullshit social darwinism with absolutely no scientific bases. Thank Herbert Spencer for that, not Darwin.
No, dumbass. It's simplified Darwinism. Also, Social Darwinism is pretty obviously real. how high's the chance that you'll be hurt by the first line?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #59
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
No, dumbass. It's simplified Darwinism. Also, Social Darwinism is pretty obviously real. how high's the chance that you'll be hurt by the first line?
That has no bases whatsoever.
I dare you to find any biologist that takes social darwinism seriously, 'dumbass'.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #60
knightmare

Evolution is survival of the fittest. Show me evidence proving otherwise before you rudely interrupt my conversation, Jillian.
Judge, I expect you to behave as the intelligent adult you seem to be. If you want to act puerile, write to somebody else. All I see in Agios post is a whiny teen complaining about something.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #61
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
You realise right now you have gone from arguing the case for someone upset by his parents actions, to nothing more than a whining brat, right?

I read this and I could almost see you stamp your foot as you typed.

OH MY GOD LIFE IS SO UNFAIR. Yeah, lifes a bitch. It's full of having to do things you dont want to do, because its either the right thing to do or you have no choice. Probably a good idea you learn that lesson while you are still barely hitting puberty.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #62
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
That has no bases whatsoever.
I dare you to find any biologist that takes social darwinism seriously, 'dumbass'.
I dare you to find any biologist.
After you find that biologist, I want you to define 'Social Darwinism' and explain whether you believe it to be an uncaring system or an observable reality.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #63
JCC

Quote:
You realise right now you have gone from arguing the case for someone upset by his parents actions, to nothing more than a whining brat, right?

I read this and I could almost see you stamp your foot as you typed.

OH MY GOD LIFE IS SO UNFAIR. Yeah, lifes a bitch. It's full of having to do things you dont want to do, because its either the right thing to do or you have no choice.
This is the entire fucking point! You don't justify Agios being given no choice, you just point to it as the reason behind his dilemma and act as if that's the end of the discussion. We know that is the dilemma.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #64
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
This is the entire fucking point! You don't justify Agios being given no choice, you just point to it as the reason behind his dilemma and act as if that's the end of the discussion. We know that is the dilemma.
God. You need a nap.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #65
Godslayer Jillian

I'm rude because I join a conversation, ha!
An example? How about everything? You don't have to be the motherfucking fittest PWN ALL to survive, you merely have to be fit enough.
So fuck your dogmatic use of a common misunderstanding of evolution. You do at least admit that that bastardization of darwinism wasn't by darwin himself, nor by any evolutionary biologist, but by a sociologist, right?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #66
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
I dare you to find any biologist.
After you find that biologist, I want you to define 'Social Darwinism' and explain whether you believe it to be an uncaring system or an observable reality.
I actually gladly will. Meanwhile, just think of this.
What the fuck do you think we are? We're merely a system created by parts that work together in cooperation. A cell's parts sacrifice their own full potential of self-replication for hte sake of the perpetuation of the cell because mutual aid between such simple organisms is still more advantageous of them, not individual competition.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #67
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Judge, I expect you to behave as the intelligent adult you seem to be. If you want to act puerile, write to somebody else. All I see in Agios post is a whiny teen complaining about something.
Do me a favour and quit having expectations of me. Buy a string-puppet, and be satisfied when it dances for you.

Answer my question and we'll have a mature debate. You see, I have actually read Dawkins' work, and am therefore confident of my ability to prevail on this. Act as an equal, and you will be treated as such.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #68
knightmare

Darwin's theory of evolution has been modified several times. In fact, his tree of evolution has been discarded for a more extensive one.

Wow, everything is a good example. Thanks for clearing that up.

What is my misunderstanding of evolution? Your argument of being fit enough actually lends support to my argument. If you are fit enough to gather resources for yourself, and to escape predators, you are able to transmit your genes.

I did not imply a "PWN ALL" in my statements.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #69
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
An example? How about everything?
Like, say... the fittest zebras not getting eaten by the lion?
The laziest man dying in the street?
Quote:
You don't have to be the motherfucking fittest PWN ALL to survive, you merely have to be fit enough.
You completely misunderstand the phrase.
Quote:
So fuck your dogmatic use of a common misunderstanding of evolution.
Do you discount the idea of evolution through natural selection?
Quote:
You do at least admit that that bastardization of darwinism wasn't by darwin himself, nor by any evolutionary biologist, but by a sociologist, right?
Social Darwinism, as you see it was an older system idea which adopted the name of 'Social Darwinism', and was otherwise unrelated. However, though in a less extreme form, social Darwinism is very much a part of every day life.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #70
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
not individual competition.
...because humans don't compete.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #71
Godslayer Jillian

Is the fittest zebra the only one not eaten by the fittest lion?
No. Anyone fit enough survives, not just the best at it, which is why the phrase "survival of the fittest" is not taken seriously by evolutionary biologists.
I think it's you who doesn't understand the implications of fittest, and therefore you don't actually disagree with me, but rather lag behind in the understanding of the debate.

As for social darwinism being a part of every day life? You have just proven my point.
If you believe that the one who dies in the street is the lazy one, then you're downright stupid.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #72
Alarica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
There is no dilemma. Hes whining because he's been TOLD he's moving, not because he's been offered a choice and doesnt know which one to go with. Instead of just whining about it, which would most likely have gotten a fairly supportive response, he's hoped his parents and the whole of the tennessee burn in hell.

Whats your story? You are clearly pissed off with your parents for making decisions too. Did they ban you from sitting up watching tv all night and insist you get a decent nights sleep? You should be in bed. It is getting late and you have school in the morning unless it's half term for you.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #73
knightmare

Then quit having expectations of me being equal, Judge. It looks like we can't have a mature debate here since four people are arguing simultaneously here.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #74
JCC

Quote:
There is no dilemma. Hes whining because he's been TOLD he's moving, not because he's been offered a choice and doesnt know which one to go with. Instead of just whining about it, which would most likely have gotten a fairly supportive response, he's hoped his parents and the whole of the tennessee burn in hell.

Whats your story? You are clearly pissed off with your parents for making decisions too. Did they ban you from sitting up watching tv all night and insist you get a decent nights sleep? You should be in bed. It is getting late and you have school in the morning unless it's half term for you.
Entirely predictable ad hominems. Fuck, I am shitting bricks now, I didn't take you seriously at first.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #75
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Is the fittest zebra the only one not eaten by the fittest lion?
Again, you misunderstand it.
Quote:
No. Anyone fit enough survives, not just the best at it, which is why the phrase "survival of the fittest" is not taken seriously by evolutionary biologists.
Then they don't understand the phrase. I guess it just eludes their scientific minds that "fittest" isn't always singular.
Quote:
As for social darwinism being a part of every day life? You have just proven my point.
No. No I haven't.
Quote:
If you believe that the one who dies of hunger is the lazy one, then you're downright stupid.
As a rule, the people on the top are usually fitter intellectually and physically than those on the bottom. This isn't always true, but usually is.