Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this 'ban'?
It's understandable 16 8.56%
It's B.S.! (that's what I have to say about it anyway..) 140 74.87%
Don't really care.. 31 16.58%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #176
Killer_Chihuahua77

Lot of anger here.

Whats going on behind the scences here that suddenly roars into the open?
Killer_Chihuahua77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 PM   #177
Killer_Chihuahua77

I'm suddenly reminded of high school.... man thats been a long freakin time but it sounds like a case of juvenile "puppy love" gone bad. Certainly things can't be as bad as what it sounds. Perhaps you guys need an intermediary to help settle things, preferably off these forums in order to prevent a fiasco.

I did not see these pictures you are talking about, as they were apparently removed along with their respective posts, but if they were as you describe its a good thing they were taken down rapidly. Anyone who views such material is liable under our grand government's laws, weather intentional or not.

However, I cannot help but make an observation here. Formerly myself, and i'm sure most of you all still do, challenge every law the government has ever enacted reguarding practically anything. As your posts seem to follow the theme of the government is oppressive and right wing. So why so fast to ask them for help? Hell before I was in the military my policy on activities such as this would be kicking ass all over the responsible party.

Kudos to Edible_Eye for the nicely orchestrated flame. Bravo!

(took me longer then 5 mintues to make this edit if a mod would be so kind as to combine my posts please.)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #178
Sakred_Winter

Jake...Is an idiot, and he's on a comfort cruise on a Hawaii base. If he was here I wouldn't worry about it because about 50 guys would tear his up one side and down the other, and that would be good enough for me. But they can't because he's in Hawaii. I knew he had been giving them to ppl a few months ago, but what just happened here was the last straw. I do have alot of problems w/ the government and our retarded third grade/ crackhead Mr. George Dub-ya Bush. But most of the problems Im having done directly to me is from the school. After everything that happened though, theyre being awfully cool to me. Probably because I dont live at home anymore and I usually get up to late everyday to get dressed up like I used to....
Sakred_Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #179
Killer_Chihuahua77

Hawaii eh? What unit is he assinged to? I wager I could make a few phone calls.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #180
Sakred_Winter

That would be awesome. But the center for missing and exploited children called me today. I reported him that night. They told me that they would get ahold of the local law enforcement and I'm getting ahold of the rest of the photos from another guy that Jake gave them too. And I talked to the friend whose house I was at when they were taken. I would give you his sector if I knew what it was...I havent talked to him since he tried to ruin my life the first time.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #181
CountessBathory

Talking

I went to a private school (thus, school girl uniforms incroached on my look) and they put in a ban on any gothic look because of me. No unaturally dyed hair. No boots. One necklace (chain, no spikes) the works. I protested every little thing I could... no one gave the the time of day.

So I did a bit of physical satire. I MADE myself a distraction. I wore every color I owned. No black make-up you say? I'll wear clown make-up then. Fifteen pigtails, sparkley gloves, tiaras, the works. Unless they had plans on making new rules for each new look I had, they were going to listen.

Was it humiliating? Hell yes. But they actually listened, gave me some leeway, and I spent my last few years not looking like something from a Brittany Spears video. (I did get some good detention early on... it took them a little while to realize I wasn't just doing it to be snooty and annoying.)
CountessBathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 AM   #182
xxNOELxx

yeah well thats when you bring up the major point:most preppy girls wear baby tees that do not reach their midriff and jeans that look 2 sizes small for them and these outfits send out the wrong message (basicly makes them look like a ho) but most goths wear longer shirts etc.
xxNOELxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #183
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Well done those mods, on lesser boards when someone says they'll get banned, they never do actually get banned promptly.
I wouldn't call that "Well done". I haven't been to a single board where being hard on bans improves the atmosphere, it just makes it much worse.

Just my 2.0 cents.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #184
Saturnine

wow, finially people who go through this same crap. at my school, the dresscode is really pretty loose. but the bvasics are pants to shirt and sleeves on shirts. covered up. prep kids can get away with not following that. the few (three) goth kids get into trouble for everything. i wear shirts that are no different (we're tlaking American Eagle here, eww..) than everyone else and i'm hauled into the office. i dress nicely usually, like, dress shirts and long black pants or floorlength skirts and im being hauled to the office for being distracting. apparently i scare grade nines...

i once got a three day suspension for "impersonating a muslum" becuase i wore a scarf to school. i was attempting fifties movie star look, i had huge sunglasses, this headscarf, a fur collar on my sweater and kaboom. suspension.

last year i was "too eccentric" with bright colours and tall boots and platforms. i wanna just tell them to shove it, but you know how well that'd go over. i just get mad that i feel singled out when im showing no cleavage or anything, im not wearing spikes or daRK makeup, or even anything *weird* at all, but the preppy sluts walk free. not that they are sluts, but somedays... they really look it.
Saturnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #185
ExistentialDisorder

someone mentioned earlier that if you don't like the discrimination you're receiving in school then change schools.

Regardless of the fact that that is more of running away from the problem than it is dealing with it, I just wanted to point out that in most, if not all, counties in the U.S. you don't really have a choice of what school you go to. That is, if you're attending a public school. School districts are divided into zones and the zone you live in determines the school you go to. If you try going to a school outside your zone you might get away with it for a while, as I did when I was in school (by using a friend's address as my own), but when they catch you, and they eventually will catch you, you'll be kicked out of that school and forced to go back to the school you're suppose to be in. Either that or you're forced to drop out. Course you could go to a private school, with dress codes, if you or your parents can afford it, but that's not much of an option for most people.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #186
Sakred_Winter

To Saturnine~
First and foremost, that's bullshit. A school cannot make you change if you're being "to eccentric". That's total shit. Refuse to change, bring your mom or something in on it. Or record your fucking school administrators telling you that shit. If they don't have a dress-code, or a uniform, then they can't do that. Once you record them saying shit like that you can get a lawsuit on them for singling you out and discriminating. As long as your outfits are following the current dress-code, they should not provoke you.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #187
Confused&Neutral

I understand where you guys come from with discrimination and all...but wouldn't it be easier to accept that not everything in life is going to be fair and to pick your battles? I have many friends from all different aspects, but they all realize that they can't win all battles, therefore they are socially apt to get along with others. Now, I don't know you guys on a personal basis, and I'd just like to understand where you are coming from.
Sakred- I think what your ex did to you was horrible, no person should have to go through that...but...is a lawsuit an answer for everything?
Confused&Neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #188
BlueMoon

I don't think any school in Iceland has a dresscode.... not the ones I went to anyway.
elementary and Highscool are bound together as one school (1st-10th grade), I changed schools 5 times during those 10 years and college I changed 3 times. I could always wear what ever I wanted...everyone could.
Only comment I ever heard about was a teacher asking my sister to button up cause her cleavege was distracting him.
BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:32 AM   #189
BlueMoon

.... seems they're bit touchy in your schools.......

She was wearing practically nothing.

In Sweden he would propably be in jail now, teachers can't even raise their voices at the kids and it's called abuse....tsk tsk

Well, Icelanders tend to be rater laid back and easy going. It's more like "I don't care" rather than "I respect your choice".
Allthough Gay-pride parade IS one of the biggest and most popular events here

You can find Discrimination here, we have idiots too, but against goths... you'd have too look for it.
BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #190
Saturnine

to sakred_winter -

oh, i haven't changed anything at all. and my 'rents are so in on it and half the school (even some of those "too cool to talk to *you*" types) and they are so pissed. this year so far it hasn't been to bad, but i do get the evil eye from quite a few teachers. im trying to just no provoke anyone becuase here the school board doesn't care. we called them last year and they said we had no case, the school decides the dress code and if i was violating it, i had no beef with them. they would have to side with the school. i was like *gaping mouth look*.

becuase you cant make a dress code, and say someone itsn't following it, when they clearly arent infracting on any rule in the book.

my favourite part of all this is that they were considering banning the students from wearing just black. and now i wear neon colours and i get in shit. but if i wear all black, i'll still get in shit. unless it's "classy". uhmm... yeah, who are you to dictate style.

people aren't like, typeface, we dont come from one same little pattern. it makes me mad how society is all be yourself, and at the same time, buy this, wear this, eat these to be cool like this famous sellingout slut here. Gah.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #191
Killer_Chihuahua77

sometimes all it takes is a page change to switch the entire mood and direction of a forum... amazing isn't it?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 AM   #192
edible_eye

true. it's like collective a.d.d.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 AM   #193
Killer_Chihuahua77

Small words of advice from someone whos been there. The sooner you move on, the quicker you will find a job, get on your feet as an individual, and no longer have to worry about the opionions of others. As we say in the army, when you're on duty, you wear your uniform and wear it well. But off duty, we don't give a FUCK what you do or wear. So heres my suggestion, do as expected, dress as expected, act as expected, then when you go out to party do whatever the FUCK you want, Live how you want, and act how YOU want. On duty, its not your call until you are over the age of 18 and can make your own decisions under the law.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #194
Killer_Chihuahua77

Also, Sakred...

Why all the lawsuits? First narzy and his compatriot whoever and now suggesting other people sue? What is that going to solve? Even if they win the lawsuit then the school is just going to lose money, forcing them to spend less money on education and more on paying off their court costs. And if they lose then they have lost a substantial ammount on lawyer expenses, and unless they have authorization to get a JAG lawyer thats gonna be a hefty fee of at least 8,000 dollars for a mediocre trial lawyer. Also, if the trend continues then thats going to coninually degrade the quality of education in that school system until they may be selling off text books to cover expenses. I'm serious, don't laugh i've seen this happen before. Remember when Sexual Harrasment was a big thing? over 30 schools were no longer financially solvent until people finally got their wits about themselves and stopped assaulting the schools for pointless and self centered crap. If theres an issue with a teacher then deal with it there, at that level. But for the sake of the kids that we fight to protect on a daily basis please don't go after the school. Hell, it might be my kid that has fewer teachers and less educational equipment because someone just had to sue because they felt discriminated against. Lawsuits just cause problems for everyone, and are not worth the trouble they incite.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #195
Saturnine

nobody around here can afford a good lawyer, especcially not me, so i doubt i'll be sueing anyone over anything. sometimes though, a lawsuit really is the best wya to make your case heard, and public.
although a lot of lawsiuts are over pointless trash...

meh, i haven't been in any real trouble latelly, so i think i will continue on my spree of being an individual. just sometimes, its ridiculous. i dont know if im just niave or what but i really do feel singled out when im the one in trouble. nobody else seems to get into trouble for clothing, and when they do it isnt all over the school. but the second i am in trouble, the entire faculty is talking about it and the kids are all talking about it and its like, jeez leave me alone. gah.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #196
Sakred_Winter

I haven't been thinking about suing the school for a while. But Jake, will. I never done anything to attack him. Not once. And he tries to ruin how happy I finally am just because he's pissed off. He needs to grow up.
I don't mean to get nasty, but it's the truth. I was a little worked up from all the shit. But I've actually gotten the net back and school is being cool about everything. That I agree would be a most bad idea. A lawsuit would deffinetly benefit me and my family.
He's always had alot of money, an only child and got an inheritance from daddy. He always made fun of me for shopping at Wal-Mart and the dollar store. And always had this disgunstingly cocky additude. But I was blinded by love. ;-) I made up for it though.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #197
lizzy

Smile this is what i have 2 say...

i don't think that is right at all. i'm a freshman and i would follow it, but i would wear whatever off campus.
lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:23 AM   #198
talon

I get shit from one of my teachers at school for wearing my pentacle. she says "I don't preach my religion to you so don't do the same to me.". I'm currently in 4th term now. last term the school had an assembly to say "We are going to be cracking down on people not wearing uniform." Absolutely nothing happened. This term they say it again and only the two deans say anything about.

If they really cared about it there would be more people in detention than 6 including myself. I can walk into my school late, when nobody but the people running stuff are out and still find people out of uniform. If I walk past my dean she'll ask me where is my uniform and I'd get a detention no matter the explanation (even though I just tell her it's in the wash). But at the same time she walks past many other people out of it.

Our uniform is white shirt and blue shorts/pants. If we where a jumper it's to be blue. The only reason she notices me is because I wear black. Apart from all the other sluts walking around in the same thing every day.

At our school we specialize in PA. Most of the people in the PA class are punks and sluts. They walk around in tight black pants and all these bits dangling off. Absolutely nothing said.

I think I should take sakred's advice and find out the exact ruling, because as far as I know, it's only us that listen to metal.

It's nice to know there is some people that i can relate to.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #199
CptSternn

The problem is not that they dis-allow gothic attire, is the issue of allowing other attire.

I agree fully with the 'while at werk' statement, but make it equal. In Ireland, like most of Europe, we have school uniforms. All are the same, with small color differences for the classes. Thats it. Everyone buys them at the same shops, they are all the same. No excessive jewlery, no changing of the uniform, etc.

However if they said uniforms, or say blue jeans and t-shirts with certain designs, thats when your discriminating. Make it a uniform for all, or make it free for all, well within legal parameters (ie no nekkid kidz or kidz in short skirts with no undies). Basic common sense.

But to say you can be whatever you want, provided you stay within the lines we tell you is nothing less than censorship.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #200
MrMaelstrom

Welcome back. Long time, no see...