Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
KuroOokami

I got no sleep before I wrote this...

Some part of me wishes I could have an out-of-body experience, but not the drug kind. The astral projection kind [provided, of course, that that is the proper term]. What would it be like to leave my body behind and go floating off somewhere , away from the harsh music and glaring lights; away from the sirens and fluorescent illumination. I think I'd like to revisit Tokyo, or go to Paris or Venice. Yeah, Venice might be okay. I've never been to Italy, but I've heard they've got skin the color of mocha ice cream and gold-green eyes like a cat's. And their voices, too, are something to be praised. Like honey and wine, sweet and warm and full of laughter. Except for the sad Italians. I imagine they're not very happy at all. But if I could force my spirit from my body and go places, maybe I'd write them letters or something. Try to help. But maybe not, maybe I'd just travel the world or go into the cold, dark emptiness that space is supposed to be. But probably not. I'd be frightened of getting burned on the stars, I think. I'd forget to keep my distance and get scorched along the way. Maybe I'd stay at home and float around the ceiling, watching moonlight's silver fingers creep over the windowsill and crawl across the floor to finally come to rest, silken and shining, on the covers of so many long-forgotten tomes. Or I'd go to libraries and read for hours on end in the dead of night. Maybe then I'd have the courage and presence of mind to read Bukowski, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Homer. But maybe not. Maybe I'd stick to Neil Gaiman and Charlaine Harris, and never have to learn a new word. If, however, I could astrally project, I see no reason why I could not also time-travel and expand my knowledge not only of space, culture, and location, but of different times as well. I could go just a little back and meet Picasso, who put cigarettes out on people's faces, or Harvey Milk, who fought for recognition and equality. I could go further back and meet all sorts of interesting people: Che Guavara, Frida Kahlo, Da Vinci, Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Homer, Rasputin, Jesus. But I can't time-travel. I can't astrally project. The only thing I can hope to do is try to meet people here, now. I can do my best to meet them in a variety of places: online, in coffee-shops, in cafés, at school, at the mall, in libraries. Maybe then I'll meet all sorts of interesting people; short ones, tall ones, fat ones, skinny ones, dumb ones, smart ones, the ignorant and the educated, the rich and the poor. But I ought to write it all down, don't you suppose? Because otherwise, I might forget the things they say, the shoes they wore, or the colour of their eyes. And that'd be so very sad. I'd go out with the intent to learn and come away with nothing. So there's nothing to do but go to coffee shops and bookstores and cafés and libraries and internet forums to meet you. Only you, just you. I want to meet you, whether you shower me with panegyrics, or cow me with bitter vitriol, I want to meet you. I want to learn your likes, dislikes, speech patterns, and all the little things that make you who you are. I cannot and will never guarantee that we will be friends or get along, but I owe you the courtesy of trying.
KuroOokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Opteron_Man

That sounds beautiful! Read and learn as much as you can. Write what you know down on paper and pass it along to the next generation. Live your dream and you will have it. Don’t stop, because this life is the only one you have, it is precious and once it’s gone, it’s gone. Don't stop, go where you want to go, and don't hesitate.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
CrimsonPythonidae

Good stuff. I like you. I am completely with you on that. Life is short and best lived learning, growing and appreciating. I like your style.
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
KuroOokami

Thank you, I appreciate that.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Mr E Nigma

I'm pretty sure in the some decade or so years you've been alive before you wrote that you've gotten some sleep at some point in time.... >_>

Just an observation..

Also, fear the chicken.. O_O
Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Corpsey

MY EYES!

Seriously, they're hurting from just glimpsing at that...

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
KuroOokami

What Corpsey? The large amount of chickens or my writing?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Corpsey

A bit of both. Some paragraphing never hurts for the concience of the ol' eyes.

Is it just me or has the Chicken vacated?

I wanted some chicken wings...

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
KuroOokami

yeah, sorry, I posted late at night and am a total n00b, thus I entirely forgot about paragraphs....it seems that the chicken has indeed left.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Mr E Nigma

Awh.. yeah. The Chicken got the ban hammer.