Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
strange_pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Do that many women really use foundation and concealer?
Good question! I'd be intersted to see how many of you wear it everyday?

Personally, I can't stand wear foundation evryday. First of all, I live in Texas and in the summer months it get so humid and sticky I like to wear the least amount of product as possbile! Also, I have combo skin and the less stuff I wear, the less breakouts I get.

When I go to work, I just wear suncreen and a dusting powder. Soemtimes a bit of lipstick and mascara. I save the full face tratment for nights or or important events.
strange_pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
psyches_reflection

Quote:
Most of the ladies I know use it most days, though not necessarily trowled on. Personally, if I'm going to do 'proper' makeup I use concealer, light foundation and some powder. It makes the decorative stuff sit better.

I love Collection 2000 powder, they have a great natural pale shade. Also Rimmel eyebrow pencil is a must. I'm really fond of Boots' 17 brand eyeshadows, they're very bright, dense colours and cheap as chips.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #28
honeythorn

I wear foundation and concealer + powder as I have bad skin. I've tried not wearing it ( when I was off work for a few weeks a while ago ) but it made no difference to my skin. I had terrible acne when I was a teenager, really bad and it's left me with really huge pores and slight scarring. I look really bad without makeup.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #29
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I wear foundation and concealer + powder as I have bad skin. I've tried not wearing it ( when I was off work for a few weeks a while ago ) but it made no difference to my skin. I had terrible acne when I was a teenager, really bad and it's left me with really huge pores and slight scarring. I look really bad without makeup.
Have you tried tretinoin cream and clindamycin lotion? That, combined with whatever birth control medicine you use, could make a difference. The cream is basically Retin-A once removed but with a dermatologist's prescription it can calm your acne down and help with scarring.

To turn this discussion back on topic, I ride almost 100% with MAC. A few years ago, I was finally ready to move out of the "Makeup is for girly-girls" school of thought and someone suggested MAC.

Getting my face done by an old clubbing acquaintance changed the way I thought and I've been loving it ever since. Give me their eyeshadows, foundations, eyeliners, lipsticks (Dubonnet, Dark Side, Cyber, So Scarlet FTW) and I'm happy.

I just need a better concealer from them and I'll really be in business.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #30
korinna5555

I only wear foundation on special occasions, but my Boots eyeliner from Target is an everyday thing.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Pineapple_Juice

I wear foundation every day 'cause I used to have acne problems as well. It's not so noticeable but I like to have an even skin tone.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #32
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post

Getting my face done by an old clubbing acquaintance changed the way I thought and I've been loving it ever since. Give me their eyeshadows, foundations, eyeliners, lipsticks (Dubonnet, Dark Side, Cyber, So Scarlet FTW) and I'm happy.
"Cyber" is my all-time favourite shade of lipstick.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #33
Unimatrix 00

Quote:
I think all women in the world should wear foundation and concealer. It makes us ladies look our best. What could be better? hehehe

And yes yes I love MAC's cyber lipstick. I wear it when I feel old school gothic.

x
Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #34
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix 00 View Post
I think all women in the world should wear foundation and concealer. It makes us ladies look our best. What could be better? hehehe

And yes yes I love MAC's cyber lipstick. I wear it when I feel old school gothic.

x
Um...naturally clear and radiant skin...?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #35
Unimatrix 00

Hardly any womens at all have that Underwater Ophelia, therefore nearly all women must wear foundation and concealer. I personally find it disgusting when I see a woman walk down the street wearing lipstick, eyeshadow, but NO FOUNDATION OR CONCEALER. It just looks sooo unprofessional and nasty.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #36
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Hardly any womens at all have that Underwater Ophelia, therefore nearly all women must wear foundation and concealer. I personally find it disgusting when I see a woman walk down the street wearing lipstick, eyeshadow, but NO FOUNDATION OR CONCEALER. It just looks sooo unprofessional and nasty.
Hm. I guess I just prefer the natural look.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #37
Unimatrix 00

Baby I love the natural look too, I just hate the messy cow look. Its oki if you have perfect skin, but hardly anyone has that, and every woman must wear foundation and concealer.

And whats the meaning of those letters in your tagline?? I presume I'm "U00"??
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Baby I love the natural look too, I just hate the messy cow look. Its oki if you have perfect skin, but hardly anyone has that, and every woman must wear foundation and concealer.
A woman isn't a "messy cow" if she's unafraid to be imperfect.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #39
Unimatrix 00

Did I say that!??! No! I said they just look like a messy cow if their face is so imperfect.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #40
Cicero

I only wear foundation when going out to clubs, and it's just because it makes my skin look flawless in photos with flash.

I prefer my skin to be naturally clear, wearing foundation every day would just feel gross to me.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #41
Shoogle

I swear by Revlon cosmetics. I love their Colorstay stuff. I REALLY REALLY wish I could get my hands on a bottle Schwarzkopf hair spray. It seems as if everyone swears by it, along with Aquanet. Is Aquanet really that effective...?

Also, I wear foundation daily as well. The foundation I have has a small amount of sunblock in it, and I've had acne for ages. I'm also really curious about Manic Panic powders and all that stuff, too.
Shoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #42
Cicero

Any cheap brand of hairspray at the maximum strength will usually do the trick. I use Cedel and Final Net or whatever's on special. Schwarzkopf is no better than any one of those, and they're usually cheaper.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #43
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
Have you tried tretinoin cream and clindamycin lotion? That, combined with whatever birth control medicine you use, could make a difference. The cream is basically Retin-A once removed but with a dermatologist's prescription it can calm your acne down and help with scarring.
Never heard of them, and I don't use birth control ( I don't have sex and haven't for over 6 years so I've no use for it )

When I was 13 or so I pretty much had no area of skin on my face that didn't have a huge spot cluster on it. I was absolutely plastered. I had all sorts of shit pills and lotions from the doctor, none of which did the slightest thing. Neither did diet change or over the counter products.

And I did ask to be referred to a dermatologist more than once as I was so sick and tired of looking like a mutant and being bullied for it ( as well as size ) . I was refused. Apparantly the doctor didn't consider the fact I practically had no face, to be severe enough to warrant me seeing a dermatologist.

Seriously.

I can't afford a private dermatologist either. If the doctor wouldn't refer me then, he sure as hell won't refer me now. :_(

My skin is pretty calm for the most part, I would say my acne would be rated as very mild by now. My skin will never be perfect or smooth or flawless, I accept that. I just use a silica primer, then a light layer of foundation, dot liquid concealer onto any bad areas, then a dusting of powder. Then do eyes and so on.

I always make sure to remova all makeup at night and apply bio-oil to try and help with the scarring .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #44
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoogle View Post
I swear by Revlon cosmetics. I love their Colorstay stuff. I REALLY REALLY wish I could get my hands on a bottle Schwarzkopf hair spray. It seems as if everyone swears by it, along with Aquanet. Is Aquanet really that effective...?

Also, I wear foundation daily as well. The foundation I have has a small amount of sunblock in it, and I've had acne for ages. I'm also really curious about Manic Panic powders and all that stuff, too.
I am not that big on aqua net. I don't like hairsprays with water in them because where I straighten my hair (it looks like skater boy hair if I don't) if seems to frizz up disastrously before it can dry. I like tresemme ultra fine mist. like I said before, I can load my hair up with that stuff and have three days of it in my head and it still is soft and only looks like I have a touch of gel in it by the third day.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #45
Serren

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a bit unkempt or not wearing make up but...

I wear foundation nearly every day as my skin is quite bad, I am also extremely pale. I don't like going out without make up on much, but a couple of days a week I leave it off if I am not up to much to give my skin a break. I prefer to look made up myself but each to their own.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #46
Shoogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix View Post
I am not that big on aqua net. I don't like hairsprays with water in them because where I straighten my hair (it looks like skater boy hair if I don't) if seems to frizz up disastrously before it can dry. I like tresemme ultra fine mist. like I said before, I can load my hair up with that stuff and have three days of it in my head and it still is soft and only looks like I have a touch of gel in it by the third day.
Hm...Maybe I'll try Aquanet exclusively for giant William Faith hair...In that case, the more frizz, the better.
Shoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #47
Solumina

To answer the question about who wears foundation: I tend to stick with a tinted moisturizer as I tend to get a little red on the bridge of my nose if I get excited, agitated, sick, or I'm particularly active and I'm a bit self conscious about it and since I have dry skin I need to use a moisturizer anyway.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #48
SiouxsiePernova

My skin is far from perfect, yet I have never made a habit of wearing foundation and/or concealer. I find that slathering my face in those products tends to make it even worse.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #49
Pineapple_Juice

Quite right. Especially when you've got a big honker of a zit, all red and shiny and hot-it just melts the makeup right off.
Then again I'm pretty sure I've been unintentionally living with sheer coverage foundation. I've gotta find a full coverage makeup that won't make me break out.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #50
Saya

The sad thing about that is, once you break out (and you're not strong willed and can't stop picking at it), you need more concealer to hide it >.<

Fuck concealer, its a scam. A never ending cycle.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote