Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #51
Wraithlady

Am I the black sheep of my family?

I hate to skew the statistics here, but I'm a heck of a lot like my parents and get on well with most of the family, who are normal (for a given definition of 'normal').

I had a fairly standard childhood (apart from a longstanding sci-fi obsession), and have a reasonably well-paid job and a stable relationship; my being a goth is treated as a faint hangover from teenage rebellion, tolerated indulgently as something I will eventually 'grow out of' - or not.

In fact, I've had more hassle as a role-player than a goth - my aunt was convinced I was into devil-worship cos she'd 'seen a program about it'.

Maybe all my family are black sheep.....
Wraithlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #52
Ariis

I'm not the black sheep. Since my first year in high school I've been the lord of rejects.
Ariis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #53
Trapped_Goth_Grrl

Yeah, I would have to say that I am the black sheep of my family - I never went on to uni, I have heaps of trouble holding down a job, I have kids but I'm not married - this probably sounds normal to everyone on here, but to my family I am a total freak - and according to my mother... I'm going to burn in hell with the jews. Nice eh?
Trapped_Goth_Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #54
Tall One In Black

I am the black sheep in that I’m different from anyone in my family – meaning my greatly extended family, second cousins once removed and such.

For the most part, my family consists of uneducated, narrow-minded racist rednecks and “good ole boys” with no ambition. They drive pickup trucks, go huntin’ and fishin’, and swill beer while working on the junk car that’s parked on the front yard. They have multiple young ‘uns running around naked while they’re glued to the Jerry Springer Show. For them, stretching their horizons would consist of visiting the Waffle House in the next town. They are the reason restaurants have to post “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service” signs.

I am… well, basically everything they’re not. Most importantly, I got the hell out of Georgia*.

Fortunately, I almost never see any of my family except my parents. (I’m an only child.) And though my parents don’t understand me, they recognize that I’ve bettered myself and they’re proud of me for being successful. They never criticize.

*Georgia, NOT Atlanta.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #55
angleangel_doom

I am half my mom and dad, right down the middle I am convinced. From my dad's temper to my mom's hips and overall facial features, although I am skinny like my dad, so I guess I lucked out.
As far as political, moral, religious views and whatnot I am pretty different from them in every way.
Just the other night my mom was watching the news and said "Oh, that earthquake was horrible! Don't you agree?"
I was like "Meh...yeah, I guess."
She replied with an agahst "What?! God, you are so negative." I just shrugged and went into the other room to watch AFHV.
With my dad its worse, since he hates gays (i'm not, but some of my good friends are) and is super-christian man to the point of a God-squad cheerleader (luckily he isn't a priest/evangelicist or I would be dead already).
Aaaaand, although my brother is only 11, he is ont he verge of being a big time meathead so yeah, not good.
Overall i'd have to say...yes, I make a damn good black sheep.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #56
flawed-mentality

its very hard to be the black sheep of my family ,we all are im the only one who dresses goth. my sister is one of those hip hop mcr new age confused hippies.my bro hes differnt then anyone ive ever seen.he speaks islandic and knows some pherases in gothic and well he s a jack of all trades were all black sheep.ive gotta bid you all a fond fare well bye
flawed-mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #57
dramaelf

I'm sheltered. Evanescense is one of my favorite bands, but she won't let me get the CD because "the titles sound too dark." She won't let me wear red lipstick, which I suppose I should be so grateful for because if I start wearing red lipstick that could lead to me going dark and then I might join the Hell's Angels and then I might go on a murderous rampage and be the next Elizabeth Bathory.
She doesn't let me curse, I can't see Silence of the Lambs, she just barely lets me go to town by myself, and don't even start on wearing gothic clothes. I'm mentally gothic.
Despite all this, I remain fond of her.
dramaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #58
The Minister Saint-Fond

Remind her that Evanescense was a Christian band.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #59
dramaelf

Thanks....
dramaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #60
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minister Saint-Fond
Remind her that Evanescense was a Christian band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Originally considered by many to be part of the Christian rock scene — and for a short time promoted in Christian stores — the band, however, made it explicitly clear they do not want to be considered a Christian rock band. Shortly thereafter, Christian stores removed Evanescence from their shelves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescence

I know; I was shocked, too. I did notice the use of the past tense, but would like to cite the diffence between being considered something, and being something.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #61
Disfunction

Buuuut... It still works out, since most people never caught on to that distinction... la di daa...

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #62
The Minister Saint-Fond

Well, I was just trying to help. And a lot of their lyrics do seem to be about Jesus, or at least about losing faith. I'd be hard pressed to tell you exactly which ones, though. It's been a while since I've listened to their album.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #63
polished_wolf_claws

Heh.... I think my parents are the black sheep.
All three of us *Me and my two younger brothers* are some degree of counter culture.
Me: Goth.
L.O.K.E. (Prouncouned Loki): He's a streetish punk, but tends towards a goth mindset and loves the way of dress.
Jose(Real Name: Jordan): He's got the old school Goth... back from when it was still splitting off from punk... so we got the leather jacket with the studs and spikes, the plaid pants, the arrogent in you face attitude... but he's still got that creative spark and he's not much of an anarchist.... at all really.

We all left home before we were eighteen. Me-17, LOKE-16, Jose waited a year and after LOKE left and moved out when he was almost 15.

My mom and stepdad have come to terms with us all being outcasts and whatnot....

but in actuallity if we were to look at it on my dads side of the family, our half sister is also goth (WHo effectively got me interested in the goth scene) and my dad and My sister's mom has been wiccian since they were teens *dad's something like 48 or so* Me and my brother's would have fit right in ^-^

"Teh Lordz Satan Protektz me frm ebil in mah PANTS!!!!!11111"
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #64
Mor_Rioghain

I'm so totaly a black sheep in my family. I'm the only one who's not christian (or the only one who's not pretending to be one) This seems to be really pissing them off. Especialy when I complain that I got to come allong to church and sit there for like an hour to listen what some cocooned up old fool has to tell about something that's been outdated for centuries. (plz no offense to the people who are christians but that's just the way I feel about it).
And opposing to my family I'm a bit asocial in real life. My home and life lie here on the internet. But my father, nor my mother seem to understand. they say I should go out more, meet people, do sports, which I also don't like.
And well we in general have a total way of thinking about lots of things, and this often gives troubles. Well as long as I got internet and a computer on my room I know I'll survive everything.
Mor_Rioghain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #65
BlueMoon

My family is a flock of miscolored sheep and I'm not the darkest.
........allthough I am considered the strangest......
the freaky one
BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #66
BlueMoon

how am I strange?
well I don't know what was so strange about me when I was 2years old....or 7 or 12.
I was quiet, sure. Not very interested in friends....ok....wild imagination...yeah...way to nice and polite....mostly.....
But a weirdo....? I dunno

But I kinda understand it today what with my mohawk and tattoos and and homosexuality and frequent and sudden changes of surroundings and stuff
BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:14 AM   #67
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
I am most definitely the black sheep of both families.
I don't fit in with any part of my family, in any way, shape, or form. I'm the melancholoy, moody type. I'm more of a loner, and I really don't enjoy the company of a large group of people - it makes me fucking nervous! I'm very much into pin up art, tarot, art-in-general, and if I could I would live at my local library, I would. I like getting rather artistic with my makeup (which I consider an external art), which seriously disturbs both sides of the family, although one of my mom's sisters (and her daughters) come to me for makeup advice; and they frequently have me do their makeup for special occasions. I've always been rather fond of dark music, especially of the industrial and/or goth persuasion (with a touch of Johnny Cash.) As far as I'm concerned, rap cd's/ mainstream pop cd's make good coasters for drinks, that or I use them when I run out of wood for my fire. (I am very anti MTV and VH1. I consider myself immune to the Power of Cheese.)

As for family, my mom's side is pretty normal, but my father's side is full of black sheep!

Mom's side-
The one who tolerates me the most is Lisa, who is so kind as to share thoughts and ideas - and a couple of laughs. My mother is more off/on with me, and really doesn't know what to make of me. She doesn't like the fact that I'm not the frilly, girly type. My boldness, and sometimes risque behavior has severly disturbed her on many occasions. She tends to brand my ideas, and style as childish. She does love me though, and does try her best to show me. She misses not having me around, and is not afraid to show it. She lends an open ear when needed, and a shoulder to cry on. She stood up for me when no one else would. My dad is a constant clown, and I think sometimes he's missed his calling as a comedian. Get him in a crowd of people, and he'll get them giggling in no time. The best part about him is that he's still a kid at heart. He's always up for a good debate, a good laugh, and a good book. The two people I really miss the most are my mother's parents. They also found me odd, but loved me nonetheless. My grandmother appreciated the fact that I was there for her, and that she could discuss things with me. I also think she was happy to have someone who was there for her during her last months of life, and was happy that she had someone there when she went. It was a rough moment for both of us - a moment that set her free, and a moment that has left me scarred for life. I wished I would have known more so I could have saved her life... She would be here to attend my impending wedding. And my grandfather, a jolly, sweet man. Kindhearted and fiercely intellegent. He was a man with an eighth grade education, yet he retired from Napa as one of their top machinists. They were both there with open arms when no one else dared to be... I admire them for that.

My father's side-
My dad's side has a serious problem with me, and they're not afraid to tell me so on a daily basis. They are much like Tall One In Black's family - rednecks. The women are trailer trash whores, and the men are convicts who are freshly sprung out of jail.
My father's sister's daughters are probably the two trashiest of the bunch, and are revered by my crazy grandmother who has for years touted the pros of being a huge slut; and has on many occasions tried to prompt me to do so. They made fun of the fact that I was still a virgin at fourteen years of age, and proclaimed that my parents were too "strict". They are too narrow minded, and too self absorbed, and they have felt my wrath many times over. I don't want to describe these people any further, because they truly are a waste of space. Period. The only two people on my father's side who actually like who I am is Uncle Dan and Uncle Chuck.

(It's like the Brady Bunch meets the Manson Family!!!)

So yes, I'm the black sheep of both...
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:53 PM   #68
Fallen Angel1134

I think Im the Black Sheep of my family b/c Im totally different. Im the only Goth in my family.Plus they try to make me go to church and I refuse all the time.I think thats why Im the black sheep.
Fallen Angel1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #69
~Nix Nightingale~

i am the darkest person in my family. i'm surrounded by a bunch or straightlaced Catholics and Protestants. I am also the only person in my family that has not been married and divorced and had children at a young age (aside from my grandparents who passed away) and ALSO the only one to go to college besides one uncle.
hahaa. my family doesn't even know what the word goth means. i haven't seen any of them besides my mom and brothers for 10 years...
I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
~Nix Nightingale~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #70
death_angel

[color=Lime]xxx[/COLAR]My family allwas loved me and never had any problems with me untill I tpld them that Iwas goth. Then I started having problems with my mom and dad cuss they thinks that beaing goth is all about devil worship and nothing eles. But its not all about devil worship.Wich is what I tryed to explaine to them.And now they try to find every way that they can think of to try and change me.But I told them that I am goth and they cant change that becuss I am who I am.but atleast my brothers dont think any diffrent of me.
death_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #71
Sanctus Dei

Yes I am the black sheep, why?? Because I so choose.

No really, I walked away from my family when I realized they were using my good nature to take advantage of me. Ahhh, the plight of the young and unappreciated... live the reality as it is truth.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #72
midnightrose

Oh me, definately. My family are very manipulative and love to backstab people, not to mention metally and emotionally abusive. I have always been on the outside looking in. I don't mind this as I understand myself a lot better now that I'm older. I still get the religious e-greetings at major holidays and on my birthday telling me that jesus is the way. I'm athiest so I laugh and delete. You'd think me moving 4000 miles away from their sorry asses and not talking to them for 2 years would have gotten my point across. Oh maybe one day they will leave me alone for good. Here's hoping...
midnightrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 AM   #73
luthien

im the black sheep of my family. i dont tell my parents anything and hate my mum. my sister and parents all got really good grades in shool were as i have failed almost all my subjects. i listen to heavy metal music and am obsessed with death, i will literaly rewind a movie and watch someone be killed again and again and again (my dad says im sick and demented). im the only one in my family that is always white even after ive been out in the sun for a long time (which is mainly school). they think i believe in the devil and am the only in my family that doesnt get hayfever from insence. i have an obsession with blood.
luthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 AM   #74
anti

Actually... I'm the bright white sheep of my family.
anti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #75
Saskir

I get on with my parents really well, but I'm the only atheistic person my family has turned out for generations (or so I'm told). AND I'm the only one that has wanted to go to University for a while, and no-one else (again, so I'm told) has taken an interest in Philosophy for quite some time.
Saskir is offline   Reply With Quote