Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #51
alchemie

Hey Sternn! How are ya? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
The bush administration gave itself the power to lock people up without a trial, forever. They gave themselves the power to listen in on your phone calls without a warrant, to 'sneak' into your home and root through your stuff without cause. The bush administration voted to keep all of this secret and put measures in place anyone who spoke about them would be put in a secret prison forever.

Yet you think banning candy flavoured cigarettes is dictatorship. You really need to reevaluate your priorities mate.
What's up???? Haven't talked to you in ages. Anywayz, you have very valid points regarding this crap. Glad you're aboard
alchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #52
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemie View Post
What's up???? Haven't talked to you in ages. Anywayz, you have very valid points regarding this crap. Glad you're aboard
Good to see you back!

I'm always here - been here since D had the T1 in his house off Fulton. I'll be here until they shut it down, or sell it to me. Whichever comes first.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #53
Onyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Okay...here's my issue with this whole situation... that I'm going to be completely blunt about...
I smoke cloves, on a regular bases. I understand that I could possibly get lung cancer, and that my health is in a MAJOR risk because of my love for smoking. BUT it should be MY choice on what kind of cigarettes I smoke...I'm 21...I've been smoking for 3 years...and what pisses me off about the whole..."flavored -attracts- kids thing" is that I never once smoked a "flavored" cigarette as a kid...my first one was a freakin marlboro red...And usually if a kid wants to smoke...they don't care what the fuck they're smoking...as long as they can look cool...so this isn't gonna change a thing.... I don't like feeling that the government can just take whatever they want away...whenever they want to take it away. I understand they're concern for "americans" but if they were so concerned then why are they trying to pass a law that's going to kill off the elderly, and the mentally challenged? Have you guys heard about that? They want to try to euthanize people.... And yeah, funny thing is they're not willing to accept the same level of healthcare they're trying to force on us...Yeah. They're going to kill people, man. euthanize 'em. Like animals at the vet. People who don't fit into their bracket of "americans helping america" or some bullshit like that. And yet they're SO CONCERNED about people smoking FLAVORED cigarettes...Fuck that shit. Just read up on the matter, kay? And then tell me whether or not I'm making any sense. Thank you for reading my rant.
Holy shit, I thought the people around here had enough brains not to believe this shit and then you had to open your mouth and spew forth this retarded garbage. Turn off faux news and inform yourself as to what the fuck is really going on before you try and infect us with your retarded Glenn Beck talking points.

This shit has no basis in reality unless your, as you appear to be, a fucking idiot that doesn't know what the fuck end of life counseling is. The part of the bill your idiotic ranting comes from is simply a change that would allow doctors a way to bill Medicare to do end of life counseling for seniors every five years. And no, end of life counseling has nothing to do with trying to talk granny into letting the doctor go Kevorkian on her. All end of life counseling entails is sitting down with someone to discuss, and document, things like living wills and end of life directives so that when you take a turn for the worst and end up on life support everyone knows if and, if so, under what conditions you want the doctors to pull the plug.

You know, if Terry Schivo had went through end of life counseling then that whole fiasco would have been avoided because her and her doctor or lawyer would have discussed if she wanted to be fed through tubes for the next twenty years or if she would have wanted the feeding tube removed and her decision would have been documented. Because that never happened her husband and family ended up in a protracted legal dispute and the poor woman became a fucking media circus. All that could have been avoided with an hour or so of discussion with a professional to make sure her wishes were documented. And that's the whole point of that section of the legislation, to make sure that granny's has someone to discuss this kind of crap with and have her wishes documented so that when the time comes when that decision needs to be made her wishes are honoured rather than the family spending years in court fighting over what they think she would have wanted done.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #54
Joker_in_the_Pack

Thankfully, this doesn't affect hookah lounges at all. This pleases me.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #55
Onyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
This is actually aimed at Phillip Morris. Did they nhot release their flavoured line everywhere in America?

In Virginia (where they are based) they offer chocolate, coffee, vanilla,orange, mint, and a few other flavoured cigarettes - all taste like candy and are aimed obviously at younger and new smokers.

Thats why they put this bill out there.
I believe you're thinking of R.J. Reynolds, the makers of Camel cigarettes. I know like seven years ago they had those lines of cigarettes that came in tins with flavours like chocolate mint, crema and Izmari Stinger. Problem is that RJR discontinued those lines like three years ago, much to my disappointment.

I do take issue with your statement that they were obviously meant to target younger and new smokers. For one thing, they were more expensive than their regular lines of cigarettes and most younger smokers don't want to dish out the extra dough. Second, if by younger smokers we're talking about smokers under the age of eighteen, they're not supposed to be sold cigarettes anyway and most, at least in the beginning, don't choose what they smoke. They're either stealing them from mom and dad or bumming them off their friends. If you're talking about younger and newer smokers of age to purchase tobacco, then so what if that's who they are aimed at? They're of legal age to decide if they want to smoke so I see no harm in a tobacco company offering a line of product that they may want. Third, at least with the izmari stinger line, they were marketed as a good companion to a high ball cocktail. So, at least to me, that would imply that they're marketed towards those legally able to enjoy them with a nice stiff drink.

As for the aims of the bill itself, due to the fact that most companies discontinued their lines of "candy" cigarettes already and, due to the fact that what flavours are still available are usually only available at speciality tobacco stores as expensive top shelf imported brands, I maintain my position that the bill was aimed at allowing Congress to look like they're being tough on makers of a mostly non-existent product while not really doing anything more than nixing a few lines of speciality, and pretty expensive, cigarettes while really doing nothing more than locking in American tobacco company market share.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #56
Djarum Special

This is ridiculous!

This ban is absolutely absurd.

So I created www.cloveban.com to provide people with an up to date resource of information on this new ban and for people to discuss the issue and buy/sell the remaining cloves we have here in the US before it's too late...

Need cloves? I can get you Blacks, Specials & Browns -

Just shoot me an email at kretek@cloveban.com

For information on this ban, visit the site here:
http://www.cloveban.com

To buy/sell cloves post on the discussion forum here:
http://www.cloveban.com/forum/

Let's take our liberties back! This insanity has got to stop...
Djarum Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #57
Still Jack

Fuck you and your advertising =D.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #58
vindicatedxjin

....It still pisses me off.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #59
Tam Li Hua

I have a feeling the ban won't last long.

Of all the tobacco to ban, why cloves? They -can't- be as bad as regular cigarettes.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #60
vindicatedxjin

Well, they are as bad for you as any other cigarette. Except that they contain eugenol which numbs your throat and can diminish your gag reflex, although that's pretty rare. I have a feeling that it's all about money (marlboro) and power (ooh look what I can take away whenever I want)... they don't give a fuck about our health or 'kids'.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #61
Tam Li Hua

vindicated: Ah, gotcha. All I know about them is that they smell a LOT better than regular cigs.

I agree with you on the reason behind the ban.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #62
vindicatedxjin

Oh yes, I love the smell of the djarum blacks, and djarum cappucinos. *sigh* I'm gonna buy a hookah, which in my opinion is just as enjoyable, and there's so many different flavors. Only thing is I can't carry around a hookah in my pocket T-T

Bring Kontan Back
Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #63
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Oh yes, I love the smell of the djarum blacks, and djarum cappucinos. *sigh* I'm gonna buy a hookah, which in my opinion is just as enjoyable, and there's so many different flavors. Only thing is I can't carry around a hookah in my pocket T-T

Hookah's are pretty cool. I've had one for years. It doesn't get out much though. It's hard (impossible) to find Hookah tobacco around where i live.
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #64
vindicatedxjin

Dude, you should come to Dallas then. There's this place called the dragons breath, they have an amazing selection of different flavors, gorgeous hookahs, Lots of nice glass pipes and bongs...ahem..."water pipes". ^_^

Bring Kontan Back
Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #65
DRM

Mmmm hookahs are rather tedious to set up though.
It could be because I don't use it much so can never remember how it goes, none the less I find them tedious.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #66
alchemie

DRM - I love your signature.
alchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #67
DRM

Thank you.
: )
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #68
Lochnar

Fight back damnit!

I hate everything about that damn law. It's a thinly veiled move by US tobacco companies and fascist politicians to look like they are doing something with out really doing anything while generating good PR and locking down markets. It's in violation of WTO rules and it does bugger all to stop kids from smoking. Everyone I know that smokes got their first cigs the same way, they took them from parents or other adults that smoke...most of which smoked menthol. It takes our freedom of choice for no reason.

The FDA wants public commentary on the law so give them some. Go to http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/G.../ucm173455.htm and tell them it sucks and why. If you do this be clear and concise. Don't just swear at them, I admit it was hard for me not to do just that. Well formed objections will more useful to the cause then rants. The comment thing closes on the 28th of Dec so do it soon if you are going to...
Lochnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #69
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochmar
The FDA wants public commentary on the law so give them some. Go to http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/G.../ucm173455.htm and tell them it sucks and why.
Yeah, that'll show those fucks.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #70
the-nihilist

What if it does?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #71
Lochnar

It can't hurt. I've already contacted several politicians about this so finding that the FDA wants feedback on the law was a pleasant surprise. The more people within the government that hear from constituents the greater the chance of this ban going away.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #72
Still Jack

I can't believe people actually like the taste of cloves, they taste the way tigerbalm smells.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #73
Lochnar

The world is full of people that like different things.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #74
Despanan

The reason why they're banning cloves is not because they want to take cloves out of the hands of nineteen year old art students.

It's also not because they want to, as vindelectreddumbass put it: power "I can take away whatever I want".

It's because it's a popular decision. Tobacco companies have been the whipping-boy of every political administration for the last twenty years. It's perfect: everyone agrees they're evil, even smokers.

They won't ban cigs outright because so many people are addicted (If I'm not mistaken, Obama is a smoker) but they will ban flavored cigs because it has very little effect on the market, and it makes it look like they're doing something.

This ban is not directed at cloves, it just hits cloves because the law is a blunt instrument.

Basically, Obama needed some legislation that everyone agreed with, going after flavored cigs was the easiest target, and our wonderful, black, sticks of pretension just happened to get caught in the crossfire.

This would've happened under McCaine, or Putin, or Ron Paul just as easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #75
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
This would've happened under... Ron Paul just as easily.
Uh, well...
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote