Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #26
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not really. Deconstruction is a method of Derrida way before post-structuralism, which is a trend from structuralism and phenomenology, influenced by people like Derrida, who himself began to write on post-structuralism.
They are very close together, but a husband and a wife are not a chickend-or-egg kind of deal.
Okay, so elementally similar (given the number, scope and significance of influences). But I tend to date nboth concepts from the rise of siginificant work that's relvant to how theterms are used, rather than than the coinings of the terms themselves.

In that sense, postmodenrism is Mother to decon's Pink Floyd.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
viscus

Quote:
Not really. There's a lot of difference linguistically.
Futurism by virtue of its word is a glorification of modernity and a search for further progress.
Postmodernism is a state of being that is past that stage of modernity and progress.

But of course, the real importance is historical, not linguistic, but even only linguistically they are actually clearly opposite sides of the modernist line.
Okay, that makes sense. To the naive, they would seem the same: thinking of what is beyond the present. The only definitions there are in the dictionary are of art and literary movements.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
Raza

I think it beats modernism on most counts, but that's not saying much.

Mostly it's an umbrella term for opinions arrived at through a style of reasoning that accepts so few things as given at the start of a discussion that people who argue against it get incredibly annoyed.
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #29
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
I think it beats modernism on most counts, but that's not saying much.
I recently had a friend saying that "post-structuralism is better than structuralism"
He clearly didn't know what he was talking about.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #30
Raza

I don't really know what you're talking about, either.

It has been my observation that both postmodernism and modernism are really more like cultural streams than philosophical perspectives resulting from a single central insight, though. Comparing them in terms of truth (or equivalent) is mostly beside the point, so I'm sticking with personal preference.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #31
vindicatedxjin

Dude, there is absolutely no point whatsoever in trying to argue with Alan. If you bring up any idea that wouldn't come out of "Alan's" mouth word for word down to the very last period, you are considered an idiot.

He puts his intellect on such a tall, towering, pedestal, making it so high..... that I think people are starting to ignore it's existence.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
Raza

Thanks for the heads up! I shall be careful not to bump it as I argue with him; 'wouldn't want to create a mess.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #33
Sinjob

I wanna see Jin try and post here.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #34
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
Comparing them in terms of truth (or equivalent) is mostly beside the point, so I'm sticking with personal preference.
This is precisely why you should know that it just doesn't make sense to say that "postmodernism beats modernism"

As for paying attention to xjin, take a look at her quotes in my signature and ask yourself if she's saying that because I really don't respect anyone else's opinion, or because she's a fucking idiot and thinks no one else in the world respects anyone else's opinions.
real classy
Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
Sinjob

Exactly. I wanna hear her intrepration of post modernism.

She'll probably mistake it with the literal def. of futurism we just covered.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:10 AM   #36
Raza

Quote:
This is precisely why you should know that it just doesn't make sense to say that "postmodernism beats modernism"
Not in a 'boxing match' sense, maybe. More in a 'candy basket with the nicer chocolates' sense.

And I can seen where Vin is coming from; you do try pretty hard to excavate minor disagreements from their otherwise inoffensive contexts. 'S'not an approach without merit, though.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #37
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Exactly. I wanna hear her intrepration of post modernism.

She'll probably mistake it with the literal def. of futurism we just covered.
Sinjob, to be technical Alan started this thread because I mentioned that I was interested in the idea of post modernism in another thread. And the only reason I mentioned that I thought the idea was interesting, was because of a book I had been reading called straw dogs.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #38
Alan

Oh, you mean the book by John N. Gray, a member of the New Right, who only made a passing jab at postmodernism?
Yeah, I can see why you're qualified to have said your opinions that: there's overpopulation and all those third-world mongrels are just creating more parasites in the world and God exists and Gaia theory is correct and that 'progress is a myth' and atheists don't know what they're talking about (opinions that after reading the books synopsis I realize are explicitly from Straw Dogs; Jesus fucking Christ, how can you base your whole ideology solely on the last book you read?)
I can see why you would say that all that bullshit stems from your 'recent leaning towards postmodernism'
real classy
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #39
vindicatedxjin

Alan you are an idiot. I'm not trying to prove ANYTHING. I'm not trying to say that you're wrong. I'm not trying to push you down. All I said was that I considered his book interesting. And how can you possibly say anything about a book by just reading the synopsis. Gray does not believe in God. He believes in nothing. And I NEVER said that I was basing my ideology on one sole thing. I've stated a billion times that I'm still LEARNING.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #40
Alan

You're not trying to prove anything; so? That doesn't mean you have a free pass to believing in bullshit.
If you were still LEARNING how come you have the privilege of judging that basically fuck-all is wrong in their ideas except you? ("christians and secular humanists got it wrong" [sic])
real classy
Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #41
vindicatedxjin

Alan, I have absolutely no idea why you're trying so hard at this, because it's getting nowhere.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #42
Alan

If you feel this will never go anywhere it's because you'll never learn.

As for me I'm doing this because you were trying to deceive Raza into thinking you're some kind of battered underdog instead of a condescending racist bastard. And that ain't getting nowhere. I'm pretty sure he understands the hypocrisy of your statement now.
real classy
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
Sinjob

Oh she's a psuedo-intellectual, too?!!
The whole package right here.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #44
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Oh she's a psuedo-intellectual, too?!!
The whole package right here.
Irony. .....
Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #45
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
If you feel this will never go anywhere it's because you'll never learn.

As for me I'm doing this because you were trying to deceive Raza into thinking you're some kind of battered underdog instead of a condescending racist bastard. And that ain't getting nowhere. I'm pretty sure he understands the hypocrisy of your statement now.
Your first statement made absolutely no sense.

And I wasn't deceiving Raza about anything. What benefit would I gain from that? I'm not the only one on this forum that thinks you're a pompous know it all. Whether it be about philosophy or how to tie a shoe. I'll admit that I'm annoying at times, I also admit that I get on people nerves. I'm okay with the fact that others don't agree with me on things. What I don't understand is how you don't realize that you are just as...if not more... annoying than I am.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 09-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #46
Raza

Oh hey, I'm the target audience now.

I'd just like to say that I appreciate both of you for your unique ways of being annoying and condescending, and that I hope that come time you'll repay me in kind. =)
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #47
Alan

You never are ok with other people not agreeing with you. A third of your posts are stupid shit and the other two thirds are passive aggressive defenses when people call on your bullshit.
Like right now!
real classy
Old 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #48
JCC

Quote:
Oh, you mean the book by John N. Gray, a member of the New Right, who only made a passing jab at postmodernism?
Yeah, I can see why you're qualified to have said your opinions that: there's overpopulation and all those third-world mongrels are just creating more parasites in the world and God exists and Gaia theory is correct and that 'progress is a myth' and atheists don't know what they're talking about (opinions that after reading the books synopsis I realize are explicitly from Straw Dogs; Jesus fucking Christ, how can you base your whole ideology solely on the last book you read?)
I can see why you would say that all that bullshit stems from your 'recent leaning towards postmodernism'
You've never read Straw Dogs.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #49
Alan

No, what I've read is Xjin's stance on humanity and who's right and who's not in life after she read Straw Dogs.
real classy
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #50
vindicatedxjin

This whole conversation is pathetic. I apologize for even responding.

Bring Kontan Back