Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #126
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
Eh? Where the Hecate did you read about that??
oh wait turns out it's true. My bad
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #127
Cat Stark

To TheManWhoWouldBeDead, I was just saying the idea of "fat" not being really fat. I know that there are people out there that do need to lose weight, but I am also tired of hearing people I know who are just a little overweight or big boned saying that they are unattractive or need to lose weight when they do not really need to. By "someone" I meant the public not doctors. I know people that are obese can be unhealthy but if your plan was magically put into action who would pay to get every "fat" person checked out to see if they are healthy or not? The tax payers? Or what if they are unwilling to get checked out? Some people that are that way like being that way.

6SixSick, I was not mad at you, just your ideas. I was mad at the idea that someone should be classified as "fat" or "obese" by someone who is not a doctor (you) and saying they should pay more. I just wanted to know how those other situations would be dealt with. I did not like the idea that someone who is overweight would have to pay more if they were healthy or if it was not their fault.
Cat Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #128
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Stark View Post
To TheManWhoWouldBeDead, I was just saying the idea of "fat" not being really fat. I know that there are people out there that do need to lose weight, but I am also tired of hearing people I know who are just a little overweight or big boned saying that they are unattractive or need to lose weight when they do not really need to. By "someone" I meant the public not doctors. I know people that are obese can be unhealthy but if your plan was magically put into action who would pay to get every "fat" person checked out to see if they are healthy or not? The tax payers? Or what if they are unwilling to get checked out? Some people that are that way like being that way.

6SixSick, I was not mad at you, just your ideas. I was mad at the idea that someone should be classified as "fat" or "obese" by someone who is not a doctor (you) and saying they should pay more. I just wanted to know how those other situations would be dealt with. I did not like the idea that someone who is overweight would have to pay more if they were healthy or if it was not their fault.
Yeah but with some people it's obvious! And yeah the people who would do the checking out like TheManWhoWouldBeDead said would be professionals. I'm mostly commenting on what I know in this thread and I do know a lot about healthy eating etc because A: I've lived it and B: I've studied it. Additionally for the gaps in my knowledge I can turn to my brother who is an excellent sportsman a qualified personal trainer with his own business, a degree in sports science from the 3rd best university in England and a history of coaching people from fat to thin.
He has told me stuff over the years which has helped lots of people (myself included) lose weight and has schooled me on the symptoms.
You seem to be lacking some knowledge as you appeared to think gaining weight through the taking of medication is the same of gaining weight through excessive unhealthy eating.

It isn't. If gained through medication it is water retention. If gained through eating it is adipose tissue.

Also both TheManWhoWouldBeDead and I said similar things. In your quote you are making it seem like we have each have a decidely different view on each aspect of the debate you have argued against which isn't true. I only put that because it will seem that way to anyone who doesn't read through the thread and thinks that is the case.

Fat people will get checked out eventually at any rate. Their condition will force them into healthcare and they'll be checked out then. I think you are suggesting that I would seek to impose upon them in a dictatorial way. That needn't be the case.

If you put out enough public announcements and made it seem culturally acceptable people would go free of charge.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #129
MissCheyenne

If weight gained through taking medication is water retention not actual fat, why is it so damn hard to lose it? I realise that may be a silly question but I don't know the answer to that and I want to.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #130
6SixSick

Really Cat Stark it's like car insurance. Kids may say hey it's unfair I should have to pay a premium just because my peers are crashing their cars more, but do they still have to pay it? YES.

A universal healthcare system is like healthcare insurance that everybody pays into right?? So those causing the damage should surely have to pay more if in fact that damage in avoidable by correct and healthy living.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #131
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
If weight gained through taking medication is water retention not actual fat, why is it so damn hard to lose it? I realise that may be a silly question but I don't know the answer to that and I want to.
I don't know tbh MissCheyenne I suggest you google it
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #132
Cat Stark

I am not saying it is the same or not. I am just pointing out that there are other types of "fat". Neater of you, that I saw, took that into account in what you originally posted. The originally main idea that I understood was, "All fat people should pay more."

I know you both said almost the same thing. I just figured that you could read the first part and I did not have to put the same thing twice. I was just pointing out that I was not mad at you as a person just disagreeing with your ideas, because you brought it up in your reply to what I said. He did not.

What I meant was, who was going to pay for all the tests that would have to be taken to see if they were unhealthy? The state can only pay so much as is. If all these people come in, there is no way to pay for it besides raising taxes.

As far as your insurance idea goes, I do agree with that, what I am saying is how do we tell who is healthy and who is not? Or, like car insurance, do we wait until they have to go to the hospital then make everyone pay more to cover it?
Cat Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #133
KissMeDeadly

Hey guys

I'm a fatty fat fat fat. How do I skinny?
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #134
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Stark View Post
I am not saying it is the same or not. I am just pointing out that there are other types of "fat". Neater of you, that I saw, took that into account in what you originally posted. The originally main idea that I understood was, "All fat people should pay more."

I know you both said almost the same thing. I just figured that you could read the first part and I did not have to put the same thing twice. I was just pointing out that I was not mad at you as a person just disagreeing with your ideas, because you brought it up in your reply to what I said. He did not.

What I meant was, who was going to pay for all the tests that would have to be taken to see if they were unhealthy? The state can only pay so much as is. If all these people come in, there is no way to pay for it besides raising taxes.

As far as your insurance idea goes, I do agree with that, what I am saying is how do we tell who is healthy and who is not? Or, like car insurance, do we wait until they have to go to the hospital then make everyone pay more to cover it?
It's probably because we coming from a similar healthy mindset assumed other people would understand us, and yes I do know of the ass-u-me thing.

Surely you wouldn't have to raise taxes. The whole scheme would be given a yearly budget just like anything else. Tbh you could probably pay for the whole operation for a year with what the defense budget gets in a day!

I'm not going to outline every detail because A: I can't be bothered and B: that's not the way democrasies work. Only in the worst kinds of dictatorship are whole policy decisions made by such a few people.

You've agreed with the insurance idea and I'll assume again that you're at the very least a reasonably intelligent person so why don't you come up with some ideas for at least the part of the policy proposal you do agree with??
Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #135
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
Hey guys

Read The Abs Diet by David Zinczencko
Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #136
Boris_The_Fop

Quote:
Hey guys

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

this is the ONLY weight-loss guide you will ever need, trust me. I used to be literally bordering on 400 lbs, yeah I was Morbidly Obese and I was borderline diabetic, now only about a year and a half of diet change and excersise (mostly weights and jogging) I have lost about 150 lbs and went from my starting weight of 385 to my current weight of 235 and I'm still loosing more weight. Obesity is curable If you are willing to take the plunge, for me it was going into diabetic shock my senior year of high school, that was a huge wake up call. Please if you are obese DO SOMETHING NOW, before something really bad happens to your body. When I was morbidly obese I was fucking MISERABLE, clothes shopping was the absolute worst I would go into places like Macy's and Dillard's with my brother and his wife and I would walk out crying because of the constant stares and the ''mommy how does that lady even walk?'' It's not too late to ever change yourself from the better and when you loose those first 10 pounds you will feel great, and say to yourself WOW!! I'm actually doing it. sorry if this is tl;dr but this is just a subject that hits close to home.
Boris_The_Fop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #137
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Hey guys

Eat less and healthier, and get off your ass & go for a walk now and then. it really is that simple. If you live with parents and that's part of the problem (as it so often is), ask to make your own meals. And learn to cook, so that healthy doesn't have to mean bland rabbit food. It's easy to learn and there are plenty of cheap, simple, healthy things you can make. This last one is crucial - if you do this, you'll probably never go back to the way you ate before.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #138
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
Eat less and healthier, and get off your ass & go for a walk now and then. it really is that simple. If you live with parents and that's part of the problem (as it so often is), ask to make your own meals. And learn to cook, so that healthy doesn't have to mean bland rabbit food. It's easy to learn and there are plenty of cheap, simple, healthy things you can make. This last one is crucial - if you do this, you'll probably never go back to the way you ate before.
Well, that's the thing. I suppose I'm not exactly "morbidly obese", I weigh around 230-240, last I checked. I eat...ok. I admit to drinking way more soda than I need to, and I do walk at least semi frequently. It's sorta my zen thing to clear my head, walking around the neighborhood at night with some tunes. I walk usually for a half hour to an hour at least three times a week, usually more.

Of course, I don't really walk very fast, maybe I should?

So...I should cut out the sodas and chips (oh god I love chips), and walk a little faster? Surely it can't be that easy. Maybe I'm eating too much red meat or something.

I only eat twice a day usually. Maybe my portions are too large? I'm in relative good health, I'm just fat.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #139
KissMeDeadly

I should also add that weight has been steady for almost a year now, maybe I'm on the brink of weight loss.

Fuck yeah. Salad for breakfast this morning.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #140
CuckooTuli

Well, walking is gentle exercise, so I think a minimum of half an hour a day would probably do it if you're trying to lose weight. This should be good brisk walking, though - you wanto to be slightly sweaty by the end, and feel your heart pounding. I find listening to music helps. Then again, I like walking anyway - I walk 40 mins a day to & from work, and it's pretty much my quiet time.

What kind of things might you eat on an average day? Particularly for your main meal?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #141
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
What kind of things might you eat on an average day? Particularly for your main meal?
It's not often that I eat breakfast, even though I know I should. I normally have some kind of sandwich type deal for lunch (either turkey or ham), if it's ham mustard, if it's turkey mayo, on whole wheat (white bread sticks to the roof of my mouth and I hate it), lettuce and tomato (if I have it) and a slice of American cheese (sometimes two if I'm feeling festive). For dinner it's different stuff, last night I was lazy and made a meatball sub, the night before though I had spagghetti and salad (no meatballs and light sauce, by the way, I have rather bland tastes). Tonight I'm gonna fix cube steak, mashed potatoes and probably either green beans or corn. I usually try to include some kind of greenage with my meals.

I should mention a large part of my diet is chicken, because it is oh so delicious, cheap, and I hear it's good for you. I guess I should take to baking it though as I normally pan fry it.

Also it's not uncommon for me to make a snack in the late night hours, I'm also a huge sucker for those blended ice cream and coffee deals. Om nom nom. Caramel mocha blast from Sonic. Delicious. I'm also a smoker and I lurve me some beef jerkey.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #142
Superman

Errrbody knows, that the only reason fat Mo'fuckas get offended, is 'cos the top o' they thighs rub together when they waddle. Simple shit niggaz.
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #143
ape descendant

The issue is far more complex than just "putting down the fork". Whether or not your grand parents got enough to eat at key times can affect the genes that are switched on or off in you.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ep...ne-and-fatness

Genetics don't seal your fate, but they can make certain things much harder to accomplish.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #144
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
The issue is far more complex than just "putting down the fork". Whether or not your grand parents got enough to eat at key times can affect the genes that are switched on or off in you.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ep...ne-and-fatness

Genetics don't seal your fate, but they can make certain things much harder to accomplish.
pfft! excuses excuses You may not be able to have a washboard stomach but that could depend on whether you're a Mesomorph, Ectomorph or Endomorph anyway. So now fat people have the excuse it's in my genetics!
How many people a couple of hundreds of years ago got enough food to eat? Yet there wasn't as much obesity as there is now.
People generally worked harder in their day to day jobs and stayed leaner.
The lifestyle is more of an issue than genetics.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #145
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
pfft! excuses excuses You may not be able to have a washboard stomach but that could depend on whether you're a Mesomorph, Ectomorph or Endomorph anyway. So now fat people have the excuse it's in my genetics!
How many people a couple of hundreds of years ago got enough food to eat? Yet there wasn't as much obesity as there is now.
People generally worked harder in their day to day jobs and stayed leaner.
The lifestyle is more of an issue than genetics.
Alright, are you being deliberately obtuse, or are you really that dumb?
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #146
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
Alright, are you being deliberately obtuse, or are you really that dumb?
piss off mr Ding Dong
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #147
6SixSick

And I'm being neither as I was fat and now I'm not and it was due to hard work. You stupid fucking unconstructively irritating waste of genetic material.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #148
6SixSick

All you do is bitch and moan, bitch and moan you're probably just some ugly fat little waster sitting in his bedroom in his mom's house being a shitty little keyboard warrior in your spare time. Get. A. FUCKING. LIFE!!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #149
CuckooTuli

Quote:
It's not often that I eat breakfast, even though I know I should. I normally have some kind of sandwich type deal for lunch (either turkey or ham), if it's ham mustard, if it's turkey mayo, on whole wheat (white bread sticks to the roof of my mouth and I hate it), lettuce and tomato (if I have it) and a slice of American cheese (sometimes two if I'm feeling festive). For dinner it's different stuff, last night I was lazy and made a meatball sub, the night before though I had spagghetti and salad (no meatballs and light sauce, by the way, I have rather bland tastes). Tonight I'm gonna fix cube steak, mashed potatoes and probably either green beans or corn. I usually try to include some kind of greenage with my meals.

I should mention a large part of my diet is chicken, because it is oh so delicious, cheap, and I hear it's good for you. I guess I should take to baking it though as I normally pan fry it.

Also it's not uncommon for me to make a snack in the late night hours, I'm also a huge sucker for those blended ice cream and coffee deals. Om nom nom. Caramel mocha blast from Sonic. Delicious. I'm also a smoker and I lurve me some beef jerkey.
Chicken sounds good. The jerky and coffee... not so much, LOL.

I couldn't imagine eating less than 3 eals a day and think hunger is easier to withstand that way. When you're ravenous, you are far more likely to want large portions. If you skip breakfast, not only are you some kinda freak to me (I faint away like a girl by 11 if I don't eat huge amounts in the morning), but that might make weight loss harder.

The simple fact is, losing weight basically involves starving your body - it isn't easy (I've always been slim, but half my family are huge so I do know what it's like), but you make it harder on yourself if you depend on your own willpower in the face of ravenous hunger. It's an animal instinct that needs placating and the only way to do that is to fool your body into thinking it's getting more energy than it is with filling but low-cal foods. If I tried to eat just 2 meals a day, I'd be so hungry I'd well overdo it when munch time came.

My advice would be 3 meals a day. Carrot sticks/celery/rice cakes (with a LITTLE spread) for snacks. And with your evening meals, easy on the pasta and heavy on the chicken/fish and veg. Red meat lean, in small portions and no more than once or twice a week. And seriously, google some healthy recipes or start a thread. Imagination is crucial as a lot of healthy food is pretty bland unless you learn to cook it up all sexy & shit.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #150
6SixSick

Quote:
Chicken sounds good. The jerky and coffee... not so much, LOL.

I couldn't imagine eating less than 3 eals a day and think hunger is easier to withstand that way. When you're ravenous, you are far more likely to want large portions. If you skip breakfast, not only are you some kinda freak to me (I faint away like a girl by 11 if I don't eat huge amounts in the morning), but that might make weight loss harder.

The simple fact is, losing weight basically involves starving your body - it isn't easy (I've always been slim, but half my family are huge so I do know what it's like), but you make it harder on yourself if you depend on your own willpower in the face of ravenous hunger. It's an animal instinct that needs placating and the only way to do that is to fool your body into thinking it's getting more energy than it is with filling but low-cal foods. If I tried to eat just 2 meals a day, I'd be so hungry I'd well overdo it when munch time came.

My advice would be 3 meals a day. Carrot sticks/celery/rice cakes (with a LITTLE spread) for snacks. And with your evening meals, easy on the pasta and heavy on the chicken/fish and veg. Red meat lean, in small portions and no more than once or twice a week. And seriously, google some healthy recipes or start a thread. Imagination is crucial as a lot of healthy food is pretty bland unless you learn to cook it up all sexy & shit.
Sorry to contradict but most modern nutritionists recommend 5 or 6 small healthy meals a day.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5017713_lose...als-daily.html