Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: has this happened to you or your school?
always been that way 13 81.25%
never happened 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #26
MrMaelstrom

WRONG. Punk came and went in the late 70's. Sid Vicious died in 1979, for crying out loud. By the time the punk movement got to the 80's, it had already turned into New Wave. Get your facts straight. I know, 'cause I was there.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:33 PM   #27
Nothing

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would be so perturbed about this subject. I find it quite irksome when I see people here whining about being accepted for who they are, and then turn around and condemn somebody for, quite possibly, being the person they are. Who are you to say that a cheerleader might not really be 'goth' or pseudo-punk inside? You're not reading their mind, their soul, you don't know what goes on in their lives. Anyway, being 'goth' or whatever, isn't about whether or not someone may be a cheerleader, or a football player, it's not even about the clothes you wear, it's a state of mind, a lifestyle.

Come to think of it, I don't think I know what defines a prep, or even a goth, or a punk. They're just names, a label. So calm down, breathe don't worry about the people around you.
\
Another thing, everyone dresses like someone else, that's where 'styles' come from, that's why clothes are manufactured. I'm sure you don't design and handmake all your own clothes, tearing a hole or ten in them doesn't count... how many millions of other people do the same thing? So get over yourself, its okay for a cheerleader to wear a studded belt and converse, and yes, its okay for them to like the sex pistols, or wear all black and maybe even like bauhaus! Stop stressing, you're going to end up with an ulcer for a very inane reason.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:55 AM   #28
bexxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
WRONG. Punk came and went in the late 70's. Sid Vicious died in 1979, for crying out loud. By the time the punk movement got to the 80's, it had already turned into New Wave. Get your facts straight. I know, 'cause I was there.
If that is true, then who were all the punks beating up in the 80’s?

Ha! You didn’t stop to think about that one. Punk started in Australia with a guy who doesn’t even sound punk, as it is known today. It was also a beginning part of gothic. Even though for gothic being poor in Germany was the cool thing to do. In the 60’s and 70’s the line between gothic and punk was really thin. You could call most older bands either, like the Cure. They were back in the 70’s. They were a punk band.

- Skinny Puppy -
Old 12-14-2003, 02:11 AM   #29
HildeKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexxle
I knew someone before they joined drill squad and later turned into a cheerleader. She was very intelligent. After she started to become popular, she turned into a total beep-beep.

It is hard to say whether or not she was really gothic. I don't know why I or anyone else is gothic. Maybe sometimes she feels badly about being a beep-beep and thinks by portraying open-minded tendencies she can get away with stealing away with some of her old friends. It shouldn't take long before they realize that bridge was burned and it was more to do with blowing people off and embarassing them in front of everyone, not popularity.

Works itself out eventually.
Yeah, I know of someone that is the same way. She used to be cool. She saw the world for what it was. But whatever, she's an idiot. I don't give a fuck.

And about the whole punk thing... I believe it was the 70s, but there really is no telling who actually started it. Its always Sex Pistols versus The Ramones and the Velvet Underground. But, it shouldn't matter, its music.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:40 PM   #30
Jane13

I know how frusterating it is to have a bunch of people dressing "goth" at your school. The strange part is that I don't even think these people look goth or punk. I feel more gothic, and doing what I do makes me happy.

People that try this are often looking for pitty, and they won't usually find it. I'll say it again, they're mostly Jerks in Black. Actually, when in an awkward social posision (like, being issued a partner on a feildtrip), it makes conversation more interesting.

My punkish best friend has an incredibly preppy (sorry to place in another stereotype) older sister, who found out that she loves a song by the Sex Pistols. Does this make her a posuer punk? I think not.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 04-27-2004, 07:15 PM   #31
Kelymari

Re: preps are turning into punk wanna bes HELP!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRnchick
at my school the cheer leaders are all dressing in all balck and tyring to be someone they aren't and it really is gay i hate them and theyre trying to be friends with me and people they used to make fun of why???? i can't stand them i hate them soooooo bad they ratted me out 5 times now! i hate them! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please
whoever wrote about being hypocrite that is very ture i think that the reason they are dressing this way though is because they are the avril type people and go with whatever the flow is and ratting out is basically tatle tayling(sp) so to say. these people they just piss me off so bad i get all worked up and excited!lol
Ya i'm with you on that, there are preppies EVERYWHERE at my school, bunch of rich snobby freaks that have nothing to do but spend their cash on junk...they have NO mind of their own, so they are total copycats. cheerleaders are mindless drones, sluts and freaks, sorry if this pisses people off, so what if i may sound like i'm "stereotypeing them" but i have NEVER in my ENTIRE life found a jock who doesn't have an ego problem, or a cheerleader that isn't a slut..so ya, i hate that they wear all punk clothes and think they are so freakin cool, but they aint...it's sad really, i'm just glad i'm goin to a new school next year, out of the city (dumb rich folk)...
Old 04-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #32
ice

Weeeeell... I'm not sure which to say more...

Exibit A)

http://gphan.com/pics/albums/omghi2u/angst3_001.jpg

Or Exibit B)

http://gphan.com/pics/albums/omghi2u/shutoffweb_001.jpg

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
Old 04-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #33
.BatteryPoison.

Maybe Exhibit C)

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
Old 04-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #34
KoRnchick

this is so sad at my school all the girls think that they have to be sluts
to be popular so the new "in" thing is to be a slutty Avril Lavennge.
Sorry i used the "A" word but that is what is happening. I pitty them for that. Getting a boyfriend isn't life.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:08 PM   #35
psyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Um...yeeesssss...that's soooo true...dood...

*haaahahahaha*

Man, you need to flow me a hit of whatever ancientchinese hornyweed
you've been smoking that inspired that one!
"Focus your attention on the link between you and your death, without remorse or sadness or worrying. Let each of your acts be your last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will your acts have thier rightful power." ~Don Juan
Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #36
ghoulishmuse

Wow. The fact that this is even an issue is scary. Mael is absoutely correct on this one. Punk _did_ begin in the 70s, though some folks may argue about whether or not it ended there. Ska came a bit later. Goth, I hate to say it, grew out of punk. Like Mael, I know because I was there.

Although, I suppose one must make allowances for the uneven development of various regions. In LA, where I grew up (no one really grows up in LA; I grew up about an hour north), bands like The Germs started in the late 70s. In the 80s, stuff started splitting apart, and bands such as 45 Grave, which grew out of some of the remnants of The Germs, became more "Goth-like".

I also remember that there wasn't as much separation of the various subcultures as there seems now. I'd party with archaic punks, mods, even some New Roms, as well as death rockers.

It happened differently in different areas. In New York, The Ramones, The New York Dolls, all began in the 70s, long before Goth started as a cohesive scene.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:46 AM   #37
RetroGoth_queen

Yep the Ramones started in the 70s as a counter rock to the 7 minute long hippie musical wank that was fashionable at the time .... punk is born.

As to when punk died...

.... who knows

I said in another thread that goth died when the cure got old, apparently I was wrong, so I dont see how punk dying when sid viscious died is really any more valid.

but hey.

as for the original topic

Preps and jocks have just as much right to wear black as you do my friend...

infact preps have just as much right as you do to be goth.

because you know your just doing what they do and singling them out to ridicule them and exclude them.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:48 AM   #38
psyche

I find it scarier that this isn't of issue!

Is everybody in on it?! It's a conspiracy.

So, historically. La/OC band of the eighties, The Adolescents, never existed because everyone was so fixated on Christian Death? Baw.

Because the bands weren't seen, it doesn't mean they didn't exist!

Maybe I'm the crustypunk who's spent more time throwing elbows at hardcoreshows than swaying at the gothclub. It's just me.

No matter what locale. Take San Francisco *wink* because I know it well. There's so much history in passing bands of obscure seveninch pressings, and holeinthewall clubs, that few but fiends have seen or see.

Maybe it's the fact that the newwave/deathrock split was a bit of a freak occurance, and that this truly lived on evolving into hardcore, fastcore, thrashcore, grindcore, and whatever powerviolencecore. Yet being so different from it's origins, it may be unrecognizeable to some.

As hoodbangin psy sez: RECOGNIZE!

As I bust a cap in a poserass richkids asshole for perpetrating...
"Focus your attention on the link between you and your death, without remorse or sadness or worrying. Let each of your acts be your last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will your acts have thier rightful power." ~Don Juan
Old 04-28-2004, 01:25 AM   #39
SuicideJade

Re: Posers

Quote:
Originally Posted by December_Rose
::Bangs head on desk:: This is far beyond idiocy. So the cheerleaders wanna dress goth? Good for them! Unless you were born in black fishnets and PVC you don't have the right to complain. At some point in your life you probably weren't a goth. (I haven't met that many second graders who listen to Bauhaus, have you?) The point is you went through a change, you became what you are. Why shouldn't they have the right to do the same?
i remember being in second grade and listening to the cure..

but as for the on topic discussion..
goth is cool right now.. you will have to suck it up and deal with it..
it's not a crime.. (even though some baby bats have been known to drive people to the point of committing crimes)
most likely they'll drop the goth next fashion season when something else comes into fashion..
go about your day.. practice good manners.. read some good thick books.. listen to intelligent music and be a good little goth...
the cheerleaders need'nt concern you..
Old 04-28-2004, 01:41 AM   #40
UnspokenThings

it reminds me

Its funny. I remember when in the last year of high school, when me and my mates used to go out to goth clubs and on weekends wore black suit jackets and semi goth/punk/alterno gear. and the kids a couple of years younger than us for some reason wanted to be goths. and we thought it was kind of cute. because they were too young to go out, they had never heard of any goth music and probably got the idea from maralyn manson and that sort of thing. they had it all completely wrong. but i mean if that was what they wanted to do, then so be it. and if they wanted to call that goth then so be it. Then I found out later that first year high school students thought those "kiddy goths" as a mate of mine called them were cool!

i suppose it all still goes on. in a few years time they will all grow out of it, and stop caring about if they fit into a teen subculture or not. most end up becoming more open minded...

im probably talking a bit off topic but the topic just reminded me of it.

how cute they were...

so i guess the morale of the story is to let the "preps" do what they want. im not sure what a prep is but i assume it is the popular people. just be freinds with your freinds, and dont worry about fitting into any kind of scene where you get automatic acceptance if you wear the right things and listen to the right music. dont be that shallow.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:00 AM   #41
ghoulishmuse

Got your back, psyche, mi homie. I understand your point and accept it, if I understand it. Your saying that a lot of good punk bands came through in the 80s. Your'e right. A lot of the OC bands from the early 80s kicked ass far better than many of the earlier punks from LA proper. And some punk bands out there still do. So, not dead, I grant you.

My only concern was to establish a line of descent and a proper time frame.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #42
psyche

As I gots yours, Muse.

A lil timemusing for everyone in the hardcore vein...

Ah there's no place like punk...there's no place like punk...

As hardcore got progressively harder thoughout the eighties... the year turned nineteenninety. The decadebomb dropped like it had just ten short years before. And everything changed.

All that was looked upon the past... upon the remains. Thrashcore went grindcore and that was the rage. Yet not quite the same. What fueled the nineties was a little thing called powerviolence, thanks in most part to Man Is The Bastard.

Who got the jazz? MITB got the jazz, yo! From creative strings, to timing and signature changes... the fasts, slows, and stops, and timechops. They truly broke the mold and aweinspired all that was to come. Powerviolence as a hardcore style was lesser, as what was more influential was the application to any and everything as an atttitude.

Suddenly all sorts of shit broke loose, Sludge and slowcore punished you in slomotion with bands like Sleep and later High on Fire. Thrashcore from Capitalist Casualites went on a cracksmoking kungfu killingspree when Spazz hit the set! Grindcore gave you a pcp overdose when Plutocracy deranged everyone, and later No Less came back to make sure you were dead with a metallic rustyknife strike of scarrification.

The nineties was too much good shit!

And now another decade has come to a close. And another cycle. What is it now? Powerviolence is still king dong! Yet as this question comes to a close, a fruition, the cycle begins again. I see the twothousands as the retro decade. All that punkrock has lost over the years is being tributed to, from newwave electroclashing and deathrock with The Vanishing, to the garagerock resurgence with The Coachwhips, more traditional oi, streetpunk, and seventyseven bands, eightytwo hardcore and early crust bands. Even the cholothrashers get thier respects when What Happens Next busts out the bandanas.

You know!

Anyone else, tell me that this shit is dead
and I'll tell you that you're already dead.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:44 AM   #43
esotericesores

All I have to say is..;

You found a way to draw a line,
between the world and you.
Faking your idenity it's true.
Did you think the word "alternative",
was only meant for the likes of you?
Do you think that they're too cool now?
Being popular is lame.
You're the one who made them popular,
all their songs are still the same.

You found them first,
it made you stand apart, you know?
But then everyone jumped on the same bandwagon,
making you an average Joe,
A lemming for the mediocre,
you were just a plain old joker status quo.
Blame it on the band now.
If you prick them do they bleed?
What's the point in playing what they want,
if you won't let them succed?

Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?
When you made a point to be objective,
before you started writing Handbook for the Sellout?

You sunk your worth in being different,
just to be like your own kind.
You traded in objectiveness,
for the underground you follow blind.
FIF- The Handbook For The Sell Out
Old 05-17-2004, 09:17 AM   #44
JoneZZe

Loads of girls seem to feel they are only worth their body. there seem to be sluts all over the place, the worrying thing is the way you see 11 year olds wonderinground with really mini skirts and sling tops with 'cheaky' logos that say things like "don't touch what you can't afford" across the chest.

The fashion movment around me seems to be verymuch townie orintated. Guys wearing football shirts all day, have slits shaved out their eye brows, and think that if their clothing has a little tick printed on it, it much be valueable.

there is a ska-punk movment around me too though, but they havn't got the hang of it. Ska is supposed to be really letting yourself go and being able to laugh at yourself and be really casual. Instead they are stuck up twats, they are homo-phobic and desperately put on an act and extra low voices when they are near girls.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:00 AM   #45
RetroGoth_queen

Quote:
logos that say things like "don't touch what you can't afford" across the chest.
yeah, cant afford the bail for the lawsuit my parents are going to make against you

:lol:
Old 05-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #46
Jane13

I understand what you're saying. All my little cousins watch (8 and 5 1/2 years old) is Brittany Spears and Hillary Duff.... I worry about them. Thanks for reminding me to read Alice in Wonderland to them.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 05-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #47
OnMyOwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneZZe
Loads of girls seem to feel they are only worth their body. there seem to be sluts all over the place, the worrying thing is the way you see 11 year olds wonderinground with really mini skirts and sling tops with 'cheaky' logos that say things like "don't touch what you can't afford" across the chest.

The fashion movment around me seems to be verymuch townie orintated. Guys wearing football shirts all day, have slits shaved out their eye brows, and think that if their clothing has a little tick printed on it, it much be valueable.

there is a ska-punk movment around me too though, but they havn't got the hang of it. Ska is supposed to be really letting yourself go and being able to laugh at yourself and be really casual. Instead they are stuck up twats, they are homo-phobic and desperately put on an act and extra low voices when they are near girls.
I dont know why these little 11 year old girls walk around with those things :? i hate those shirts by the way. I wouldnt let my little girl run around with almost no cloth on cus even the little kids are horny bastards cus ive talked to them and its weird.

about the ska thing. those things happen everywere and thats why all the "scenes" change and get messed up and totally different from what it started and was intended to be.

*sigh*

im feeling kinda good today 8)
Old 05-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #48
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL

What's scary is seeing those same skimpily dressed 11 year olds wearing cakes of makeup and jewelry liket heir favorite "over processed" celebrities. And to add to that, seeing those ******s with older guys, even men. I've seen some scary things. 25 year olds dating little 13 year olds. They give em money for the stuff they love, the girls give em sex. (The girls are too young to understand that what these guys are doing to them is wrong. All they see is an opportunity to augment their social standings)What a world we live in. (I know, years ago 25 and 13 was not unusual, but now-a-days ... really now. Very wrong. And the reasons ... disgusting. Makes me want to burn those guys at the stakes and flog the parents of these girls to be more attentive of them)
Old 05-19-2004, 05:38 AM   #49
The_Crazy_Irishman

Hmm... Seeing as my sister is 11 years of age I know what you guys are talking about, but seeing as I despise her very existance, I avoid her as much as possible That said if I ever found out she was going out with someone a lot older than her (imagine the age gap chunky caramel said) then I would pity that guy after I had finished with him, as although I'm not particularlly strong, I have a pyschopathic temper (though it is mainly under control, otherwise I'd have no friends)

Anyway on a more humourous note, it always makes me laugh to see people with overly done make up or fake tans, to the degree that they are orange. I wouldn't laugh if they were really new to putting make up on or something, but seeing the same people like this for a few years just makes me laugh :twisted:

As to local fashions, they sound pretty much like what others have been saying, with townies being the majority.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:17 AM   #50
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL

Irishman, don't forget about your sis' after you chase the older guy away (threaten em' with castration, that always works, and press charges, even if he only kisssed her). Yea, you might loath her, but she is vulnerable not only to outside forces, but herself. It is a lot of pressure being a girl, especially one in this day and age. If she is already dating guys in the "so old it's considered ****" category then she already has issues. Just make sure she never developes them by making it known to her how beautiful she is and how much you look out for her. A simple comment everyday is all it takes. Why are men afraid of strong women - cause they can't bs them. Make ur sis strong.

~I'm a feminist, what can I say~
Closed Thread