Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
TheKorovaMilkbar

Chuck Palahniuk Novels

Well, to start, did any of you ever see Fight Club?

Well, Chuck Palahniuk wrote the book that the movie was based on. His writings are nothing short of thought provoking.

Personally, I have read "Choke", "Lullaby", and am in the process of reading "Haunted"

His newest novel, "Haunted" is what I believe to (so far) be his greatest book ever. I have found myself in total delight while reading the book.

I highly suggest his books for those who like to get away from mainstream thinking. Especially his two books "Fight Club" (which I plan to read next), and "Haunted".
Old 10-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
TheKorovaMilkbar

"Lullaby" is probably a good one for those who like to read Stephen King novels. It is about a man who learns a lullaby that when read, kills all who hear it but it's speaker. Imagine what could happen if the life of every human being rested in your hands.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
demoncross

Thanks for the recomendation, I will add them to my books-I-want list
demoncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
AlKilyu

Hmm...if I could stand to talk to or see my ex again (I cannot, sorry) I can get whatever shit of his signed by him. She works a few blocks from where he lives and he used to sign anything I gave her to sign. He is a real nice guy. My buddy send him a letter after 9/11 to say he didn't deserve the accusations people made about Fight Club and 9/11, and in return he sent him a box of...well a lot of shit. Candy, toys, trinkets, and of course a reply letter. Dunno if he still does that, maybe my buddy was an exception cause it was hand delivered.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #5
TheKorovaMilkbar

Wow, that's really cool AlKilyu. Sorry that stuff got left with your ex.

What accusations were made about fight club and 9/11?!?!

I would like to meet him someday.

Did any of you know that Fight Club was actually based off a hint of truth? Chuck used to go to bars under the name Tyler Durden in case he got into a fight or something so his name couldn't be traced back to him.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
AlKilyu

No it came to him after a bout with insomnia walk the streets one night. He came up with the twist ending then wrote the story around it. The anarchy group was loosely based The Portland Cacophony Society, who unfortunatly love to hang around a mausoleum I have kin in.

I didn't loose all of my shit signed by him, I still have it, I just lost my "hook-up" with him.

"Fugitives and Refugees" is a book he wrote about stuff I see everyday, and some I never heard of, in my hometown.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
No it came to him after a bout with insomnia walk the streets one night. He came up with the twist ending then wrote the story around it.
Damn, I hate getting false info. Still, wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Well, the thing I didn't like about the movie was they completely changed the ending from the book. I guess it's better that way as it gives people some incentive to read the book.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
AlKilyu

Exactly. I liked both endings. The ending of the movie is what had people screaming at him (I'd like to know who, if any, or if it was self imposed) after 9/11. Think about it for a sec, without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it...

You were right about the names, just that the concept of the story itself was a bit different.

The person he modeled Tyler Durden after recently moved to Seattle, and the woman he modeled Marla after still lives here in PDX and still works at F*********r.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #9
ayca

firstly, read fight club then watch the movie.

if you don't read the fight club yet, watching the movie again and again is just your wasting time. after reading fight club, it must be your second job to read the choke. ı'm sure you can't resist yourself not to masturbate. enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorovaMilkbar
Wow, that's really cool AlKilyu. Sorry that stuff got left with your ex.

What accusations were made about fight club and 9/11?!?!

I would like to meet him someday.

Did any of you know that Fight Club was actually based off a hint of truth? Chuck used to go to bars under the name Tyler Durden in case he got into a fight or something so his name couldn't be traced back to him.
ayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #10
ayca

you must read joyce carol oates' novels. her novels were like a meeting with grotesque for me.
ayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #11
Scythan

I'd like to read it.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
Scythan

Done. I think.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
imaerus

Palahniuk was my author for 2005, i read: "Choke", "Survivor", "lullaby, "Fight Club", and "Haunted" last year. I am currently trying to track down a collection of non-fiction stories that he put together called "Stranger than Fiction". Any thoughts or reviews of it before i buy?
imaerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
Wise Child

Do you mean the collection of essays he published, called Non-Fiction? I was a little disappointed with it. Certainly not what I was expecting from those fantastic novels.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
FromTheHallow

I've only read Choke, but Invisible Monsters is in my stack of books to read. Geisha, would you please email "Guts" to me? Thank you kindly.
FromTheHallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
imaerus

Is "invisible Monsters" the one that starts off with the woman that gets in a car accident? Loses memories and such?
imaerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
Lackluster_Heavens

As much as I dislike changing the ending of books to make them more hollywood, I almost cried at the end of Fight Club, that was the most beautiful ending ever.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 AM   #18
Blushing Heliophobe

Hearing about something like this on the news still did not prepare me.

Blegh.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:20 AM   #19
Lackluster_Heavens

That crazy chuck. How I love him, and am kinda disgusted by him at the same time.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:28 AM   #20
Wise Child

You gotta love his warped mind. I know that what he does is twisted but, dammit, he does it it so WELL. I heart Chuck big-time - although, that story just made me want a drink. A big drink.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #21
prettylikedrugs

I'm a HUGE fan of Chuck's books. I've read them all now, and they just get weirder and more disturbed. HAUNTED, which includes Guts, is even more twisted and f**ked up than usual. Can't say I fainted reading Guts, but it does make you cringe.

My favourite is Invisible Monsters. What's yours?
prettylikedrugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #22
angel011

Fight Club. But I haven't read Invisible Monsters and Haunted yet -- they're still waiting, together with Gaiman's Anansi Boys.

Guts was wonderful. Sick, but wonderful.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:02 AM   #23
TheKorovaMilkbar

Well, I'm glad to see there are still people reading his novels.

He writes about the dark and insidious side of humanity so well. It's just amazing. The truth becomes gross through his eyes. What a writer. I wish I could meet him.

I need to read Fight Club. I got it for Christmas, but have been too busy with classes to read it.

I'll read Guts this weekend.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #24
Fae-wolf

Finally, someone who writes a novel for men!
HA HA!
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #25
fleurdelys

I like Palahniuk. He's not my favorite, but I like him -his writing gets gross and vulgar, but in the way that makes you marvel at the fact that someone thought those things up in the first place, instead of in a way that just makes you squick....and his writing style is terribly fun.
I also loved the end of the Fight Club movie, even though it was so different from the book. It was sweet in its own way.
Who has seen Choke/read Stiff? Thoughts? I'm looking forward to seeing/reading both over winter break.
fleurdelys is offline   Reply With Quote