Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: ...
.. 0 0%
... 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #2226
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, but indeed, Emo doesn't go any further than Music and Style. A style the is exaggeratedly homogenous, there's no variety.
It's always girly pants, tight shirt, that white studded belt copied from the black studded belt, and a cheap dye on a hairstyle that is basically a clone of any other emo kid, both man and woman.
I have agree with Reject_Bunnies in here. I also loathe them.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #2227
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
My small rant:

I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Tenet, I can't imagine how much this all blows. I wish they'd get smarter about the medications so you didn't feel like this. Hell, I wish they'd just cure it. Like a scientist walks out of a lab tomorrow and says "Hey, look everybody! I just cured aids."

What's the old saying? If wishes were fishes ...

On the plus side, I'm a little jealous. You've got a TV in your bathroom! No matter how cool I assert that this would be, the lady I live with is never gonna go for it. *dang*

I really do wish you felt better. I'm glad there's a rant thread just for venting like this if it makes you feel better in any way.

And I really am glad you are back.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #2228
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Oh, but indeed, Emo doesn't go any further than Music and Style. A style the is exaggeratedly homogenous, there's no variety.
It's always girly pants, tight shirt, that white studded belt copied from the black studded belt, and a cheap dye on a hairstyle that is basically a clone of any other emo kid, both man and woman.
I have agree with Reject_Bunnies in here. I also loathe them.
There's another behavioural variation that is being over-looked here. Among the males, there is a general acceptance of being in touch with one's emotions. This isn't to suggest that it's emotionally indulgent, sobbing all the time, etc. It's more of an acceptance of what is there and being able to express it more freely. By all means, hold a distaste for emo, but considering you loathe a broad sub-group, and I consider myself part of that sub-group, then you're maintaining distaste toward me, based on the conventions of fashion... conventions that represent, once more, the stereotype.

*sighs*

...don't smother your kids."
Old 03-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #2229
She_Is_My_Sin

I'm low key friends with a thirteen year old girl, I met her through someone else. We aren't really close or anything, but recently I've become majorly concerned for her. The other week me, her & another friend were going to go out for lunch, then she told us she was busy. So we asked her next week & once again she was busy. Today I found out what she's been up to. Basically she hangs out with a bunch of really twisted teenagers & get's wasted. I know she's got a bad relationship with her family but she constantly indulges in taking drugs, getting drunk, self-harm & casual sex just to take her mind off it. The thing that really pisses me off about this is that she knows it's not good for her & that she can get out of it if she puts in the effort, but she carries on ignoring any help or advice people attempt to give her. To make things worse she hangs out with a little attention seeking whore who gets drunk & self harms for sympathy ( she goes to my school & whenever she's in an argument she pulls down her sleeve & screams 'Do you think this is funny?!') who is also dragging her down. My friend who knows her has also twigged on & is going to confront her, but I know nothing will come from it. All I can say about the situation is that she ought to get help while she still can, because if she carries on like this it will probably be too late.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #2230
Reject_Bunnies

Interesting, now let's look at the response:

-"Emo is a genre of music,A subculture has developed more recently around this music"

You still can't tell me what makes one band or song somehow more "emotional" then another,can't be done.

-"Your entire definition of emo functions purely on stereotype"

I have eyes and ears,don't you? Would an "Emo"wear Air Jordans,a XXL Pistons jersey,and six gold chains? No. Would an "Emo" wear a tye-dyed Grateful Dead shirt,Hemp jewelry,and Bell bottoms? No. How about a leather jacket with studs n' spikes,plaid tarten bondage jeans,steel-toe boots,and a mohawk? Didn't think so either.Now why do you think old track jackets,'Retro' shirts,and Dickie's pants are so hot on EBay?
(Not to mention:messenger bags,pin-back buttons,and Converse shoes)

-"Your entire rant is as poorly based as people who believe goth to be a suicide-cult worshiping Satan and involving a high quantity of vampiric concepts and self-harm"

Do you really want to know how many "Emo"people I've seen that are cutting themselves,or doing something similer just to show how much "angst" living their life is?(Yeah,I really feel bad for those rich bratty suburban kids living with Mommy.Want some REAL angst? Try being Homeless).

-I'm going to skip the part of a "Definition",until you can come up with one that actually defines it(Good Luck).

-"Girl pants on guys is to emo as black clothing and eyeliner on guys is to goth. It's called a stereotype, and is therefore not valid for whollistic judgement of an entire subculture".

Your entire fad-culture(that's what it is you know) revolves around how you look,what you wear,and what bands you listen too.For example: Show me an "Emo" that listens to Heavy Metal,likes to hunt with the occasional fishing trip.Oh wait,you can't.

"The people who you see generally walking around and listening to the Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, wearing grampa sweaters and thick-rimmed glasses, writing poetry in their notebooks with their hair dyed black? Yeah, they aren't genuine to the subculture"

Then what are they then? Wait,let me guess...imitating others to appear 'in' right? Show me ONE "Emo" that isn't like that. You could,but they wouldn't be considered "Emo".

-"There's more to emo than just emotion"

What exactly,spending all day wanting to kill yourself? Crying over a girl that dumped you ten years ago? Wondering why your life is so hard and bad? {Have you noticed that you NEVER see any poor "Emo" people?} Hmmm..I know how much your life sucks,living for free at home,getting free food,driven everywhere,no bills,no rent.Gosh,you have loads of room to complain.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #2231
Teardrop

I just found out today that I'm pregnant. It also happens to be the day that my fella decided he's 'not ready for kids' because he 'wants to spend his time down the pub getting pissed with his mates'. Why? sodding why? We were engaged, I was happy..I don't get it.

Now I'm a whore even though he's the only man I've ever lay down with. How can you just change so suddenly? It isn't supposed to be like this for me, I'm smarter than to fall for stupid lies, to be fooled into thinking you loved me.

I'm so scared. I keep asking myself if I can raise a baby alone. I still live at home for christ sake, my job pays pittance, I want to go back to university but I know that this is my responsibility and that this isn't about me anymore...I just don't know how I'm going to do it, I know it sounds stupid but I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #2232
Circle V

"Emo" stands for "emotive hardcore" -- a musical genre.

Every single one of your points up there could be easily changed to read "Goth" instead of "emo." Once you've done that, it looks no different from the countless rants against Goths I've seen. I dislike the commercialization of the emo "culture," but no more than I hate the corruption (if there has been one-- commercialization has simply replaced pretention, in my opinion) of the Gothic culture.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #2233
Godslayer Jillian

Of course, again, we cannot fully generalize a sub culture, but I have met scores of emos, and either there was a very weird probability anomaly that I have met only emos that promote the stereotype, or statistically, that would be what defines being emo by majority.
But let's stop this debate in this thread. Both She_Is_My_Sin and Teardrop have real problems of which we should be focusing.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #2234
Disfunction

Quote:
Of course, again, we cannot fully generalize a sub culture, but I have met scores of emos, and either there was a very weird probability anomaly that I have met only emos that promote the stereotype, or statistically, that would be what defines being emo by majority.
But let's stop this debate in this thread. Both She_Is_My_Sin and Teardrop have real problems of which we should be focusing.
Visual displays vs. personality displays

The only reason why the topic at hand is being discussed is because it struck someone's interest or multiple people's interest.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #2235
WolfMoon

Dis, emo is T3H SUK!11!

But, you I like.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #2236
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
Visual displays vs. personality displays
Oh, but I do know them. I've met at least a couple of times each of them. What pisses me off is that they do not talk of anything deeper than their favorite bands; they cannot give me a good discussion; and they say I don't look gothic because I'm not wearing chains or make-up

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #2237
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject_Bunnies
-"Girl pants on guys is to emo as black clothing and eyeliner on guys is to goth. It's called a stereotype, and is therefore not valid for whollistic judgement of an entire subculture".

Your entire fad-culture(that's what it is you know) revolves around how you look,what you wear,and what bands you listen too.For example: Show me an "Emo" that listens to Heavy Metal,likes to hunt with the occasional fishing trip.Oh wait,you can't.
I listen to heavy metal, I don't see how hunting suffices as a display of anything, but yeah, I know "emo kids" who hunt, I used to fish, but now I don't do it since I don't eat fish anymore.

Quote:
"The people who you see generally walking around and listening to the Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, wearing grampa sweaters and thick-rimmed glasses, writing poetry in their notebooks with their hair dyed black? Yeah, they aren't genuine to the subculture"

Then what are they then? Wait,let me guess...imitating others to appear 'in' right? Show me ONE "Emo" that isn't like that. You could,but they wouldn't be considered "Emo".
Yeah, sure... right... Condescension works best when you have something to go on.
Tell me, from the outside of the gothic subculture, are many people's opinions valid on what it truly represents? Do most people who fit the mold also dress the part?

Quote:
-"There's more to emo than just emotion"

What exactly,spending all day wanting to kill yourself? Crying over a girl that dumped you ten years ago? Wondering why your life is so hard and bad? {Have you noticed that you NEVER see any poor "Emo" people?} Hmmm..I know how much your life sucks,living for free at home,getting free food,driven everywhere,no bills,no rent.Gosh,you have loads of room to complain.
Angst is emotional. Crying is emotional. Ruminating over negative experience, thereby perpetuating a cycle of depression, is emotional. Yes, I have seen poor emo people. Not necessarily below the poverty line, but definitely just getting by. It's nice that your generalizations span beyond individuals of particular sexual preference and also into another variety of subjects in which you really have no room to maneuver given a grand lack of experience.

Most people I know who fit the more accurate label of emo don't apply it to themselves liberally specifically because there are idiots like you in the world who will immediately assume the stereotype. Christ, could you be anymore dense?

Old 03-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #2238
Disfunction

Quote:
Oh, but I do know them. I've met at least a couple of times each of them. What pisses me off is that they do not talk of anything deeper than their favorite bands; they cannot give me a good discussion; and they say I don't look gothic because I'm not wearing chains or make-up
...and then you have met me. You're dancing in a land of generalizations that I would hope my presence on this board has served to prove does not span the whole. Perhaps part, and even in many instances the majority of people who are taking part in the fandom of the music, but once more I could argue this same perspective.

Most individuals, and I stress the word most so as to avoid generalizing, I have met who fit the visual stereotype of what it is to be "goth" have been dense and tend towards as limited a variety of discussions regarding bands, and perhaps in some instances anything morbid. I wouldn't for a moment, accept that this, due to being the majority of my experience, is the base focus of the gothic subculture, just as I'd hope that people like you would contemplate the origins as opposed to the present time.

I quite enjoy emo in its original forms, many bands of which surpass the quality of modern day punk. It's not purely about sobbing and misery, that's just been a particular trend that's taken place much like Marilyn Manson/Cradle of Filth fandom developing within the mainstream version of the gothic subculture. By all means, criticize what has become of mainstream emo music, but I find it too tiresome to see people coming to conclusions about subjects that they haven't any knowledge about.

It's like when I was arguing with someone over whether or not hydrogen was flammable and the base of their argument was that hydrogen wasn't flammable, because if it was water would be flammable. *sighs*

Anyway, I understand where everyone comes from in their criticism of what has become the latest in lame trends, but I'd also like to distinguish between what is generally acknowledged as emo and what is genuinely emo.

That is all.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #2239
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Dis, emo is T3H SUK!11!

But, you I like.

S'all good comin' from you.

Old 03-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #2240
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
It's nice that your generalizations span beyond individuals of particular sexual preference and also into another variety of subjects in which you really have no room to maneuver given a grand lack of experience.
BURN!!!

I'm sorry, Reject, but that was an awesome burn

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #2241
Godslayer Jillian

Dis, this may sound a little too generalizing, but why do you say you're emo when I don't see any definition of emo that can be close to you. Then again, I've only heard stereotypical definitions, and I've met only stereotypical (please let them all be just stereotypical!) emos.
Maybe t's just that you like denominating yourself as emo just as I like denominating myself a goth

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #2242
Magpie_Tendencies

My Rant:

I hate the service at my local milkbar. I went to the milkbar yesterday and all I wanted was a drink. The guy behind the counter was talking to another customer. After standing there for a good 5 minutes, I put the drink back and left. As I walked out the door he gave me this LOOK like, "what? Don't be such a snob". I walked out.

It's not the first time it's happened there and it really annoys me. I'm a PAYING customer. It's my money. You want to have a conversation do it in your own time.

*angry sigh*
Old 03-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #2243
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teardrop
I just found out today that I'm pregnant. It also happens to be the day that my fella decided he's 'not ready for kids' because he 'wants to spend his time down the pub getting pissed with his mates'. Why? sodding why? We were engaged, I was happy..I don't get it.

Now I'm a whore even though he's the only man I've ever lay down with. How can you just change so suddenly? It isn't supposed to be like this for me, I'm smarter than to fall for stupid lies, to be fooled into thinking you loved me.

I'm so scared. I keep asking myself if I can raise a baby alone. I still live at home for christ sake, my job pays pittance, I want to go back to university but I know that this is my responsibility and that this isn't about me anymore...I just don't know how I'm going to do it, I know it sounds stupid but I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
I'm sorry you're going through this..

May I ask how old you are? And how far along is the Pregnancy?

As far as the remarks from the babies father go, they are typical and have been spoken to newly pregnant young women since time began. He's a pig and doesn't deserve you or the baby. Your focus shouldn't be on him right now, it doesn't matter what he said. You know the truth. Your focus should be on yourself, and what you want to do about the baby.

I don't know what your relationship is with your family, but if its in the least bit functional you should bite the bullet and tell them about the baby, and what this asshole said to you. You are their daughter, and even though they may scream and yell at first, they will want to be there for you and the baby once their shock and anger cools down.

You need someone to support you, and that is the job your parents signed on for when they had you. Let them do it. You don't deserve to be alone with this new knowledge and all of the pain and fear you are experiencing.

Just think about it okay?

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk..

*Big Hugs*

Last edited by Empty_Purple_Stars; 03-12-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:51 AM   #2244
Teardrop

Smile

Thanks for your reply EPS. I'm 19 and 6 weeks along.

Things look a little brighter today. Women have been raising babies alone for a long time, It'll be hard, I know, but it's not impossible.

I'm close to my mum, she's the first person I rang when I found out. I'm not to interested in what my dad has to say about it to be honest.

*sigh*

I don't know...I'm just gonna try and take each day as it comes. Get a bit of money behind me. I always knew what I would do in this situation and when I decided to sleep with a man I accepted this responsibility. To tell the truth I'm a little excited about it now.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #2245
WolfMoon

Teardrop, I'm sorry I didn't see your post until EPS quoted it.

I've got two children and believe me, it's hard even with the help of my husband. I couldn't imagine trying to do it alone. I would suggest seeing what kind of assistance you can get as a single mom.

Do they offer programs in your area that help single mothers?

At least you and your mom have a good relationship. Is she excited about the baby? Maybe you could drop some 'hints' her way about the high price of maternity clothes or how you'd love to get a certain crib for the baby. Have you thought of a theme for your baby's room?

As far as your ex-manthing goes, forget him. As long as he's wasting his pathetic life in a pub he won't be able to get it up to impregnate some other unsuspecting girl. Bastard! As someone once told me 'He's a worthless piece of dogfuck!!' it's as true for this one as it is for the other.

It'll be his loss when he's not in the delivery room, when he can't see those precious eyes for the first time. And who really wants to share those beautiful memories anyway? All of those first kicks will be for you, mommy! You won't have to go through the frustration of trying to get someone else to touch just the right spot at the right time to feel the baby move.

I'm just sorry that they allow wankers to date other people, luv.

*HUGZ*

If you have any pregnancy or baby questions or just need to talk, feel free to pm me or EPS.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #2246
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
I'm sorry you're going through this..

He's a pig and doesn't deserve you or the baby.
E_P_S is right... He is such an ass and doesn't deserve you. You 're far better without him.

Good luck with the baby!!I truly hope that you won't encounter too many problems

*tons of kisses*
Old 03-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #2247
Teardrop

Talking

Thanks hunnies. I feel so much better. I got home from work and my mum gave me these little booties that she'd bought. So cute. I really think I have the best mother in the world.

I'm not as worried anymore. It's the little things that put everything in perspective. I have the best friend anyone could have, family including at least one functional parent...I'm luckier than most. I'm a bit worried about money but I figure if I put some overtime I can build up a little nest egg before the baby comes.
I can honestly say, I'm really, extremely excited.

oh, and I hate my work shifts <to avoid thread jacking.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #2248
Empty_Purple_Stars

I'm so glad you have some support. Makes me feel heaps better.

We have a "Goth Mummies and Daddies" thread in the General Forum if you're interested later on in your Pregnancy. We have several Pregnant Gnetters right now, so you won't be alone. Plus we have loads of Parents here, myself and Wolfie included.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, please feel free to PM either of us, should you need anything..

*Squeezy Hugs*
Old 03-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #2249
Ben Lahnger

I lost my Goddamn, motherfuckin' PDA cellphone tonight at the grocery store!

I've had it for over two years, and managed to hold onto it even while traveling halfway around the world. But I can't complete a simple grocery run without it popping off my belt.

Oh, I know it is just a thing. It is a Sony Ericsson P800 , and it's not even a new model. If it was a car, it would be a 2003 model (3 generations before the current model.) But I like the size (it's the smallest phone with a touch screen and PDA functionality that is actually usable) and I really had it tricked out. I was running dozens of programs on the thing and had a customization program running that let me have 5-6 desktops with different icons and program shortcuts on each. It is the most flexible handheld device I have ever seen, and now it's gone.

Oh, I have insurance. So as soon as I pay the $90 cell phone bill that is due 3/15 plus the $110 deductable, they'll replace it ... most likely with some damn refurbished Palm or Blackberry (I loathe those things ... so rigidly inflexible, with an operating system that sucks ass.)

Plus, I'm not working, so I don't have $200 to spare right now.

Oh, and to file the claim, I first have to go file a police report. LOVELY!!! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning, people?

I'm so pissed at myself for dropping it ... and pissed at whoever picked it up without returning it for being a useless fuck. It's double password locked so they can't do a thing with it, but I still don't expect I'll see it again. Son of a bitch!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #2250
edible_eye

i enjoy cheaper whiskey over the more expensive brands.

fuck it.