Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Commentary
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Commentary Dicussion and feedback for Gothic.net articles, fiction, and news. This is where the community gets to add their thoughts and perhaps constructive opinions about the fiction and articles and such.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Gothic.net

Gothic.net Panel of Experts: Best Releases of 2010

Quote:
Question: What 2010 horror releases (film or book) did you find most notable?

The results are in from our Gothic.net Panel of Experts. Literary horror culture is aware of history and how literature, in whatever medium, builds upon what came before. So a lot of us spent 2010 catching up on releases from prior years or re-watching and re-reading classics.

It makes sense then that many of the major motion picture releases of 2010 were remakes, riffs, and sequels. We liked The Crazies, starring Timothy Olyphant, and The Wolfman, starring Anthony Hopkins and Benicio del Toro. We are tired of the SAW franchise, but Paranormal Activity still spooks. The Last Exorcism and Let Me In also appealed. We weren’t sure if Black Swan, Inception, or 127 Hours definitely count as horror, but we know what we like, when we see it, especially Black Swan.

On television, we liked Showtime’s Dexter and AMC’s Walking Dead. We like our dark TV with book tie-ins and character-driven horror.

In print, Justin Cronin’s The Passage breathed new life into vampires for us. Joe Hill’s Horns delighted with revenge and the power of the devil. Steven King’s novella collection Full Dark, No Stars was a wonderfully grim read. A Dark Matter by Peter Straub and Deathwatch by Lisa Mannetti also both received multiple notable mentions.
Read the full article
Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Gothic.net

We interviewed a lot of interesting Gothic writers and dark artists for this feature and their feedback is insightful and full of fun things to check out if you haven't already.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Despanan

This so called "panel of experts" does not include me.

I call foul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Haha! I recognized a kindred soul:

"My ‘to be watched’ pile is nearly as big as my ‘to be read’ pile. Sadly, there’s a whole pile of movies I haven’t had a chance to watch yet, and when it comes to books, I’ve never been the guy that felt the need to run out and pick up the latest book. When I think about the books I’m currently reading, some of them are very old. Like, historic old."

–James Roy Daly

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
M.Valdemar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net View Post
We interviewed a lot of interesting Gothic writers and dark artists for this feature and their feedback is insightful and full of fun things to check out if you haven't already.
Here, Here!
M.Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote