Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 AM   #1
SiC

cradle oor dimmu???

Just Wondering What do people think of cradle of filth and dimmu borgir??? :twisted:
SiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
oje

i remember the first time i've CoF, Danni has one creepy, but awesome voice. but Dimmu, i dunno, there is something about them that i like more, maybe it's just shouting Dimmu at random
oje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
dreamydancer

Neither, just not my kind of music.
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
WolfMoon

If I really need a laugh, Dani's good for it!

I mean, come on! That's not singing, it's a recording of someone going through CBT!

:lol:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
pitseleh

When I was younger I used to like CoF, but apart from Dusk And Her Embrace and Cruelty And The Beast, which I will listen to maybe once a year - well, it's true even for those records - I find their output generally lacking in conviction and power. Sure, it's fast, technical and shrieky, but it's too much circus and faux-gothique synthesizer mess to really floor me. Same with Dimmu, even though they are better, in my opinion. I know for a fact that in real life, they're pretty straight-laced family fuddy-duddys anyway, so the whole scary image thing don't fool me! On the other end of the grimness scale however, you have Frost, from Satyricon, in full corpse-paint at the hardware store buying 8" spikes for his leather jacket. Heheh... True sighting by a friend of mine!

At any rate, I'd rather listen to Emperor, or the grimmer, more classic norwegian black metal bands like 1349, Darkthrone, Enslaved, Satyricon or Disiplin. Those are all solid BM bands.

And oje: "Shouting Dimmu at random", is not a proper way to express that your attraction to Dimmu Borgir is due to factors you are unable to determine. Neither is this, but I'm just saying... be intelligible.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
Deadhymn

pitseleh, have you listened to Dimmu's 'For All Tid'? I think if you like Darkthrone you might enjoy that particular album. It was their first one, and very dark and caustic sounding....much like the masters of the genre such as darkthrone, emperor, and bathory sounded when they started.

Actually i suppose Darkthrone still sounds like that....
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
pitseleh

Ah yes, For All Tid (For All Time). I'd almost forgotten about the early stuff. Yeah, I've listened to that album in the past, and you're right, it is good. Seem to recall a split EP they did with Old Man's Child that was also pretty ok.

And Darkthrone... Heh, they're fucking old-skool, man. That's one band that will always stay true to murky production values, and never feature the Prague symphony or a single synthesizer. Not that their sound hasn't evolved from, say, Soulside Journey - which is nigh-on unlistenable - but it's still pretty grim and inaccessible, with an air of misanthropy that the more embellished BM bands just can't muster.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
Lament_A_Morte

I like Dimmu Borgir more than Cradle but I am a fan of both..
Lament_A_Morte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:06 AM   #9
Disfunction

Danny Filth is just oh-so-very much fun.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
ElendarSilvermoon

I'm not much into Cradle (who are also probably among the top bands often confused for black metal) but I do love Dimmu Borgir. Their old stuff has that cold black metal feel to it and their new stuff has that symphonic edge to it that I'm just a complete sucker for.
ElendarSilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
Kettu

... I still listen to Bauhaus...
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #12
D.C.

Dimmu is kinda wack but Cradle hell fukin YAh
D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Peter

Generally, I don't like Cradle, but occasionally they do a decent one-off song, the last one I liked was "Nymphetemine Girl" (If I spelled that wrong, don't worry, it isn't a real word anyway) which featured the very talented singer from Leaves' Eyes.

They also do pretty good covers of Iron Maiden songs.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
Kali Maxwell

Cradle. Definitely Cradle. Dani's voice is awesome, and the guitar playing is just as good. I love their "beauty and the beast"-type sound. I'm also a huge fan of the lyrics, if you've ever taken the time to read any of them. It doesn't matter to me that they don't do full makeup and leather in their daily lives. They're sort of celebrating that evil look, and making fun of it at the same time.

CoF's videos are often sort of campy, and very fun to watch. In the image department, Cradle still wins over Dimmu, because Dimmu seems to be trying way too hard to be serious. (Please see video "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse"; now there's pretention.)

Dimmu's music's not bad; some of the composure is really good. When it comes to vocals, there are people who have the talent to scream, and there are people who don't. Dimmu's lead man doesn't, at least in my opinion.
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #15
ElendarSilvermoon

I always viewed Dani Filth as more of a screecher than a growler. His vocals are definitely unique for the genre, though screeches like that aren't difficult to pull off. I think most other extreme metal vocalists just want to preserve their voices longer, because I can vouch firsthand that those screeches are like rubbing sandpaper on your throat after you do them for a while.
ElendarSilvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #16
dreamydancer

You'd think someone with really bad make-up would look better without it. But no, not in Dani's case.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #17
Spazik

I dont like cradle of filth because I'm not in junior high. I kinda like Korn, as cliche as it is, but I'm really more of a Nirvana/Greenday/Sublime type. Deduct my goth points, I guess.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
pitseleh

Present Goth Points: 78

Nirvana: 0
Green Day: -8
Sublime: -10

Revised Goth Points: 60

18 of your posts will henceforth be deleted.

(God, I wish I had mod powers...)
Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #19
Spazik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
Present Goth Points: 78

Nirvana: 0
Green Day: -8
Sublime: -10

Revised Goth Points: 60

18 of your posts will henceforth be deleted.

(God, I wish I had mod powers...)
Score me five more since I decided not to clean up the stereotypical big pile of black clothes in the middle of my bedroom floor.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #20
Kali Maxwell

Spazik: "I dont like cradle of filth because I'm not in junior high."

Huh? I'm not either. Graduated high school a little over a year ago.

Back on topic somewhat: I think Dani's very attractive either way, but maybe that's just because I'm a fangirl. He does, however, look better in fangs.

Now, the guy from Dimmu... *shudders* Blah.
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
ThwanCondu

I like how effeminate Dani is compared to Dimmu. Dimmu are too macho for me. I've known people to think Dani's a girl for both his looks and voice before. I suppose I've never heard that much Dimmu anyway, but Cradle holds a dear place in my black heart.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #22
PaNo

love Filth .... other one never heard of ...
dont really know why im so into Cradle of Filth but for some reason when im dipressed its the only thing that calmes me down ...
PaNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #23
Black Gestalt

Dimmu. Not a huge fan of either though.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #24
YuCk_FoU!

cradle of filth...i don't know the other either.i've been listening cof since nymphetamine,and i like danni's voice and sure the excellent sound of electro guitar!
YuCk_FoU! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 AM   #25
bitter_beauty

cradle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deffinatly! the music is brill, the lyrics are so beautiful and they are all talented not to mention dani and his oops-my-skirt-came-undone looks hes bloody lovely

dimmu are ok
bitter_beauty is offline   Reply With Quote