Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Tea and Cake or Death

I know it's bad...

But how bad?

It's just for practice....

In a subliminal haze.
A figure made itself real.
Rich in shades of red and gray.
Discovered an unknown ideal.

Your darkness blinds my eyes.
Bitter bliss be mine.
Trapped by other ties.
death and mirth combine.

Occurrences take hold.
Redirection in the lines.
Bury the truths untold.
Stashing away all signs.

Underlying inside devision.
Fate falls forth anew.
Spelling out the end of visions.
With words we never once knew.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I liked the contrasts. Nice work.

BUT...don't precede your works with "I know it's bad" or such, just put it out there and see what people say! You do yourself a disservice by invalidating it before it is even read.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Tea and Cake or Death

Well thank you. That was quite nice of you to say. I honestly value your opinion a bit more than most in this forum.
I just am down on it because I feel as though I could do better. I really don't write that often. I was told I was quite good at it back in high school. And by comparison to my works back then, I find what falls from my mind to be pure pig slop. I like feedback. So thank you.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Yes it was the title that made me click on this, I wanted to see what was so bad and it isn't great or amazing but isn't bad either.

Though even pig slop can be useful!

when I go through a writing skill downtime I often just put out all the slop anyway but sometimes reading over it can spark something good but critiquing it before others could see like did with the title in never going to help reclaim the spark .
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Tea and Cake or Death

Thanks....that's true.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Apathy's_Child

If you're going to use rhyme and meter, be precise about it. I prefer to get away from them, as I find them old-fashioned and restrictive but more importantly, dull. However, that's just taste, and not a criticism in itself. But I also think they can be a handicap to people who are new to writing, or even simply not great at it (which you're not, honestly, although you're clearly not a moron and I have every confidence that you could improve tremendously). I think it's good to learn to use words in themselves, to turn a phrase and evoke a sense of whatever it is you're picked as your subject matter, before restricting yourself to so many stresses / syllables per line.

Here are some exercises I've found useful. Don't just write in one form. Spread yourself around - write poetry, prose (both stories and non-fiction - essays, thoughts, rants etc.), plays - whatever. You realise how different the requirement are for each, and it makes you more aware of how you use language.

In every piece you write, there should be a unifying theme which springs from having something you really want to say. The above struck me as a collection of cliched images with no real point. The only way to write with passion is to give a shit about the thrust of your work - there's nothing wrong with writing just to write, and if nothing else it's good practice, but you'll rarely find you have something awesome at the end of it.

Most generally, read as much as you can. People who don't like reading poetry are usually shit at writing it. Breaking the rules is fine, but you have to know them first.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Aaroneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
Yes it was the title that made me click on this, I wanted to see what was so bad and it isn't great or amazing but isn't bad either.

Though even pig slop can be useful!

when I go through a writing skill downtime I often just put out all the slop anyway but sometimes reading over it can spark something good but critiquing it before others could see like did with the title in never going to help reclaim the spark .

I agree with this. The poem is okay, not great. You should proofread your work to check for redundancy; "once" is implied when you say "never" in the context of the last line. Also, as a general rule, I try to avoid using the images of "darkness", etc. just because these images have been overused. Unless you can bring a new dimension to something old, avoid it and pick a new topic.